• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 was a big disappointment

Tobor

Fallout 4 is my GOTY. It's super fun and I can't stop playing.

I like the radiant quests. I don't care about the dialogue system.

F4 is leagues better than New Vegas.

The most obvious difference is that CDPR grew a lot between games, but Bethesda's team is still basically the same size.
Which is their choice given how much money they make. They don't change because the market doesn't require them to. Why change when you can make a half baked rpg and have players make excuses at why a supposedly rpg game that has zero decent rpg qualities is not bad.

"I play for exploration not the rpg aspect.' I spent hundreds of hours doing random shit than play the game. Which is fine but, why that has nothing to do with how all the mechanics are bad.

doomquake

ughh . OP please.

latest

gogosox82

Not exactly, imo.

First of all, there hasn't been a successor to skyrim (or tesv, if you will) yet. Until that happens? "Wait and see" status till then.

Secondly, I'm curious why the witcher series always gets brought up in these threads.

I just picture a bunch of people with a "witcher 3" button on their keyboards waiting for a beth thread to post a reply.

I am guessing because they are both open world rpgs? They don't have anything in common. Like, at all?

The comparison isn't comparing them to each necessarily though. Its comparing their evolution against other games in the series. The evolution of the witcher series has been quite substantial. TW1 and TW3 don't even play or look the same. That speaks to the evolution the series has gone through. Fallout 4 looks like a prettier Fallout 3. It doesn't seem like that have evolved much when compared to FO3/NV and even Skryim to a certain extent ( though I'll grant you that the TES is its own different animal with different expectations attached). I mean, what's the thing that FO4 does that differentiates it from FO3/NV? Base building? I could see that being in FO3 or NV if they had thought to put that stuff in. I really can't think of anything.

You answered your second point. They are both open world rpgs and have some things in common because of the simple fact that they are open world rpgs and its natural that they will be compared. I'm sure Dragon Age: Inquisition will be compared to it as well just like it was compared to TW3.

beeswax

I'm also a reluctant passenger on the boat of disappointment. I loved FO3 and NV was a decent expansion to that but now I'm over the novelty of a Fallout game that doesn't look like complete ass, I find myself thoroughly bored with no desire to find out where the game's going.

Easiest 'pass' on a Season Pass I've had in a long time.

Denton

It's a fun, good, 7/10 game. I have 110 hours in it and plan to finish it, mostly thanks to its atmosphere and exploration.
As an RPG, and more importantly, mainline Fallout game? It's an insulting failure. I just find it sad that after NV, instead of trying to write something even better, Bethesda went into the opposite direction and stripped out and simplified all RPG aspects even further, even worse than they already have in Fallout 3. And yeah, the radiant quests are design scourge.

I'm at level 20, maybe 50 hours in the game. I had fun with the game but it's enough Fallout 4 for me (sure I'll play other Fallout games maybe starting by 3 which a lot of Gaffers praise).

Also there's Xenoblade X that I want to play and since I don't have enough time for both it may be the time to switch :)

roytheone

Unfortunately, I agree with this.

While I am still enjoying the game, and it actually did improve some things like the gunplay, it also is a step back in many ways IMO. The leveling is more basic and the lack of increasing individual skills is bad, the dialog system is a huge jump back, and the quests (with a couple of exceptions) are a bit boring. Add the underwhelming graphics, relatively long loading times, the amount of loading screens and the very fluctuating performance on PC (goes from 60 to 30 by looking two centimeters to the left), and while it is still a good and maybe even great game, it is not a GOTY contender like the previous Bethesda games for me.

Is there a way of identifying which quests are radiant and which have actual content?

For example I'm not done with Fallout 4, I want to do the quests that are "Silver Shroud" in quality - is there a list of them somewhere maybe?

I think you can look at the little vault boy animation on the quest screen, most of the more interesting quests have an unique animation, while the generic ones have a standard one.

Looking forward to tomorrow's Fallout sucks/rules thread. I wonder which it'll be.
Seriously though, what's wrong with the OT for these kind of threads?

Vex_

Banned
It's a fun, good, 7/10 game. I have 110 hours in it and plan to finish it, mostly thanks to its atmosphere and exploration.
As an RPG, and more importantly, mainline Fallout game? It's an insulting failure. I just find it sad that after NV, instead of trying to write something even better, Bethesda went into the opposite direction and stripped out and simplified all RPG aspects even further, even worse than they already have in Fallout 3. And yeah, the radiant quests are design scourge.

I agree. Radiant quests are ass. I kinda like the simplified presentation of the dialog, BUT they are extremely limiting. You can't be an asshole.

But this is my goty! So far...

Victrix

*beard*
Yep. It was even worse that I played Witcher 3 and Xenoblade afterwards.

The writing is just so awful, it really took away from the experience, and the gameplay systems they added encouraged my absolute least favorite aspects of rpgs (packratting and inventory management).

Sande

I loved it until I started running out of non-repeating quests and went "wait, that's it?". It's unbelievable how few proper faction quests there are and how boring most of the quests are despite there being so few of them.

It was a good move for them financially to put out a fucking awful game. A numbered Fallout on a new generation of consoles, with some bullshots to back it up was going to sell a ton of copies whether or not they put any measure of effort into it or not.

Yep. As I've posted in another "Fallout 4 is a disappointment" thread, if you take it for what it is and re-label some of the entries accordingly, it all makes sense:

WxkIn8Y.png

Yopis

I loved it, just got the plat today.

It was GOTY material until the end. Ending(s) fell flat imo. The dialogue is a step down, but I loved the game. Building settlements was fun, and I actually enjoyed the quests and story.

Seems like a lot on here share your view, so this will be a circlejerk shortly, but I loved my time with the game.

That and Phantom Pain, another game that seems to be hated here.

Sometimes I feel "wrong" =

Why do you need random internet people to validate your enjoyment?

The foundation and gameplay were solid, but the content (as in the quests and things you have to do) were subpar. I keep playing to built settlements and kill things really, don't care about my son.

Ms.Galaxy

Yep. As I've posted in another "Fallout 4 is a disappointment" thread, if you take it for what it is and re-label some of the entries accordingly, it all makes sense:

WxkIn8Y.png

The "Featuring Dante" meme on Fallout Shelter 2 got to me. Everything on this image is so true.

Red Hood

Banned
But... is it worth 35? Because that's the price several retailers near me are asking for it now. The dialogue and quests are the main reasons why I haven't bought it yet, and from what I read pretty much everywhere, my concerns were justified. Regardless, I did enjoy Fallout 3 (but I prefer NV in general) despite a lacklustre main story, and Fallout 4 looks great aesthetically.

Questions, questions.

bosseye

It's extremely hard to give a fuck about anything or anyone. I don't care about this kid I've seen for 30 seconds in the intro, seriously. I don't care about the Minutemen, or the Brotherhood. In fact, I loathe how the game basically treats you as a messiah from the moment you step out of the vault.

Here is random douchebag # 124, fresh out of the vault for 30 seconds and already crowned king of the free people of the Commonwealth because, eh... why exactly?

Is this really the best you could do, Bethesda?

I'm really enjoying the game, but I agree completely with this - its just such a piss poor setup, along with terrible wooden dialogue, terrible wooden characters....the only thing driving me forward is the world and the exploration, which I really enjoy despite the faults (see below)

Right from the beginning where you sign up for vault access, and hooray that was lucky, just in time for the bomb to drop, there was zero sense that this is the 'end of the world', even when the nuke goes off in the distance. And then some crap with BABY SEAN OH NOES and out I come - apparently its 200 years later - 200 YEARS! And yet everything is just a bit tumble down and rusty. Its looks at most like perhaps 20 years has gone by. not to mention I saw a nuke go off just over there, why are the pylons still standing, all those buildings.....blah blah etc. Theres suspension of disbelief and then theres just crap I can't take seriously.

Honestly, the opening was so bad. If thats the best effort that Bethesda's writers could come up with, then they should feel bad. It could have been something so much better, so much more powerful/evocative.

And having your hunt for Sean as the main quest line - its so stupid when the entire world is built around doing other stuff. You just can't have the set up as something so desperately urgent and then not have this massive dissonance when your character spends his time building bases out of scrap instead of hunting for his kidnapped son.

lazygecko

And having your hunt for Sean as the main quest line - its so stupid when the entire world is built around doing other stuff. You just can't have the set up as something so desperately urgent and then not have this massive dissonance when your character spends his time building bases out of scrap instead of hunting for his kidnapped son.

Open world storytelling sure has come a long way in 15 years!

How many of these threads are there going to be? It's funny cuz you will see this game round the top 10 of GAF GOTY Short list.

Obviously not everyone does love it, but I think there are a lot of people like me that see its flaws and there are some glaring ones that are frustrated it's not better but still really enjoy what's there. Overall it is one of my favourite games of the year but that doesn't mean there aren't a ton of things I wish it did better.

tuxfool

Banned
How many of these threads are there going to be? It's funny cuz you will see this game round the top 10 of GAF GOTY Short list.

So what? Nearly all of the larger GOTY candidates spawn these threads, by virtue of the fact that a lot of people play the game. This one more than most because it reflects so poorly vis-a-vis its immediate predecessor.

I'm 45 hours in now and continue to love the game. It's very different from 3/NV in my opinion, but still a great game. I've really gotten into the weapon and aemor modding system in a way I never have before, the settlement building system has been really enjoyable, and scavenging actually means something this time.

Those new systems combined with improved combat, an interesting world, and great art style have made the game my favorite of the generation thus far.

Arkanius

I'm 45 hours in now and continue to love the game. It's very different from 3/NV in my opinion, but still a great game. I've really gotten into the weapon and aemor modding system in a way I never have before, the settlement building system has been really enjoyable, and scavenging actually means something this time.

Those new systems combined with improved combat, an interesting world, and great art style have made the game my favorite of the generation thus far.

The thing is, how can the world be interesting if it's devoid of good characters and good quests that further the lore of the world.

It's a giant sandbox, and a pretty and fun one, but devoid of any extra meaning.

It's a good Fallout setting game, but it's not worthy of the Fallout 4 title, my opinion that is.

GHG

And basically the OP is why I'm waiting for the actual RPG game to be modded into fallout 4 before buying it.

In the meantime I'm playing Wasteland 2 and having fun with it.

The thing is, how can the world be interesting if it's devoid of good characters and good quests that further the lore of the world.

It's a giant sandbox, and a pretty and fun one, but devoid of any extra meaning.

It's a good Fallout setting game, but it's not worthy of the Fallout 4 title, my opinion that is.

I kept hearing people call the world an amusement park and I really think that is accurate. There is no atmosphere like there was in earlier Fallouts or something like the Stalker games. It's just a bunch of silly places crowded together evenly across a large area.

Also it feels really safe like an amusement park and the loading screen at every building feels like standing in line for a ride.

Fuz

Banned
Okey first of all I want to make it clear that everything I say is my opinion and I don't have any grudge against bethesda and it is one of my favourite companies. If you notice my name is Nere comes from Nerevarine so don't tell me I just say all that because I hate Bethesda. Anyway on to the topic I think that Fallout 4 was a big disappointment in multiple fronts, lets take them all in order.

Dialogue system
The dialogue system was a fucking joke. Bethesda could take inspiration from Obsidian and Fallout New Vegas, which has one of the best dialogue systems in a loooong time (way better than the Witcher 3 one) but instead they prefered to take inspiration from Mass effect so they introduced the bioware wheel. BUT it isn't the same as in Mass effect but it is an even more simplified version of that. The dialogue system is extremely basic has 4 answers always which most of them are the same everytime (Yes, No, Sarcasm). Fallout used to be famous for its dialogue now it is just an empty shell of its former self a shame. The only stat that matters during dialogues now is charisma but you usually use it only to ask for more money.

Questing
The fucking Radiant quests are everywhere. Back during Oblivion I could swear Bethesda had the best designed quests in the industry, making the sky rain burning dogs, faking death, going into a painting and many others Oblivion has some of the best quests even to this day. In Skyrim the quality fell and Bethesda introduced Radiant quests which are essentially MMO type quests of go clear that area which are randomly generated, endless and boring. Even in Skyrim though there were more real side quests than Radiant quests, also you didn't even had to do them only in the fighter's guild so no harm done. I wouldn't consider Radiant quests a bad thing in Skyrim cause they weren't mandatory neither there were many of them. Here comes Fallout though the world is filled with those quests almost all the faction quests are Radiant quests to go clear an area with no real substance. The few side quests that are left have no real options anymore compare a quest from New Vegas with a Fallout 4 quest and you will see the difference.

Graphics
Okey contrary to most I don't think the graphics are that bad. Although I can't stop myself by noticing that there are slight improvements over past bethesda games. Compare the jump of graphics of dragon age 2 to inquisition compare the jump from Witcher 2 to 3 and the difference is huge. Another disappointment in the list.

The map
As big as Skyrim my ass. Thats what they said but the truth is it isn't even half of it probably. Sure the density is great but everything is just crammed into the middle in the city of Boston.

In conclusion I got really disappointed from Fallout 4, a game which I was looking forward like no other. I think Bethesda was too arrogant to use the improvements Obsidian made and discared all of them. While obsidian had made the perfect Fallout game. Skyrim was released at 2011 as was the Witcher 2. I want you to compare the jump in everything from the Witcher 2 to 3 and from Skyrim/Fallout 3 to Fallout 4. I mean wtf was Bethesda making for 4 years? Many of the models are even the same from Fallout 3 just updated. First time I have to say Bethesda was lazy when making a game of theirs at least on their previous games I could feel the love put into them here I can't. Anyway would like to hear everyone's opinions and remember all this is my opinion as stated in the start.

While I do agree on all your points, I don't really understand why are you complaining.
It's the usual bethesda game. What did you expect?

And you'll buy their next game too.

bosseye

Its just one of those games which I've adjusted my expectations down a little and am having a lot of fun with. Some of it though (the intro hour or so is my personal bugbear - dialogue, story, voice acting, character, set up, all so poorly done) is just so bad you have to wonder how anyone thought it was good enough.

Nere

While I do agree on all your points, I don't really understand why are you complaining.
It's the usual bethesda game. What did you expect?

And you'll buy their next game too.

I complain because I don't think past bethesda games were like that.

Bethesda games would never take an award for their graphics (although oblivion and morrowind for their time were really good) or their dialogue system but it was never as bad as Fallout 4 (the graphics aren't that bad but they are below average). Also the quests in bethesda games were usually good especially in oblivion and while radiant quests did exist in skyrim they weren't in such an amount as Fallout 4. I don't think Fallout 4 is the usual bethesda game it feels lazy and a step down from the rest of their products.

Obviously not everyone does love it, but I think there are a lot of people like me that see its flaws and there are some glaring ones that are frustrated it's not better but still really enjoy what's there. Overall it is one of my favourite games of the year but that doesn't mean there aren't a ton of things I wish it did better.

I agree. It's a flawed game, what I should say instead, is the narrative on GAF is amplified to the point that you might think no one likes Fallout 4 to the point that there's a person in this thread feeling guilty for liking it. I feel these threads are getting redundant, when OP is saying the same things in other threads, and having a multitude of the same thread makes Fallout's failure seem near universal. Obviously, that isn't true.

True Fire

I have high hopes for Fallout 4 DLC and mods. If people can retool Skyrim into a tropical Anime elf waitu simulator, they can turn Fallout 4 into a good game.

All it would take is the removal of voice acting and a retooled dialogue system with more SPECIAL checks, honestly. Modders are already on the way to making this happen. Maybe some small loopholes to have your cake and eat it too, because I hated how black and white the endings were. I think one of the older Fallout games had a mod that added creature diversity, which Fallout 4 desperately needs. Even a dozen more creatures would be game-changing, because the lack of fauna makes the game seem more repetitive than what it really is.

The world map is really tiny, so hopefully Bethesda expands it with their DLC instead of teleporting the player to Alaska or something.

I wonder if Modders will be able to remove Shaun from the game? It probably wouldn't be too difficult, besides a few tricky parts. Skyrim modders have done trickier things.

Top Bottom