• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76 - Day One-Patch is 54GB big. Bigger than the entire game.

Stitch

Gold Member
Probably not the best game for people with crappy internet

The file sizes were reported by PSU via console screenshots. The actual file size of Fallout 76 without either of the patches is 45.04 GB. In fact, the game is now available to pre-load on Xbox One, and will soon be available for pre-load on other platforms too. However, what cannot currently be pre-loaded is the Fallout 76 day one patch. Combined with the 30 GB patch which launched during the BETA and which will need to installed anew in the main game, the total day one patch is around 54.64 GB. Together with the base game, that makes Fallout 76 close to a massive 99.68 GB. (The exact size is likely to differ slightly on different platforms.)
https://www.vgr.com/fallout-76-day-one-patch-larger-game/

Mr Hyde

This is just ridiculous. What the hell has happened to the videogame industry when you have to release a 56 gb day one patch, that´s bigger than the fucking game itself, just so that the game you just bought doesn´t fall apart in front of your eyes?

Kreydo

The thread title gave me chuckle , it's so Bethesda.

But I think people will download the entire game because Fallout 76 beta files wasn't encryted, I guess(I HOPE) Bethesda updated the game to increase the "security" and to avoid all inc exploit/cheat.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is just ridiculous. What the hell has happened to the videogame industry when you have to release a 56 gb day one patch, that´s bigger than the fucking game itself, just so that the game you just bought doesn´t fall apart in front of your eyes?

It's definitely still going to fall apart, it's a Bethesda game.

scraz

There was a 37 gig patch a few days ago on PC. On top having to redownload the whole client after it ate it self.

xviper

is this a new trend ? do companies now compete for bigger file size ?

bigger size DOES NOT EQUAL bigger game

Witcher 3 was 25gb at launch while Knack launched with 35gb file size

Akuza89

A patch bigger than the game itself is not a patch... it's a re-download of the entire game.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a full rebuild of the game so it gets rid of glitches and stuff.

Mochilador

A patch bigger than the game itself is not a patch... it's a re-download of the entire game.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a full rebuild of the game so it gets rid of glitches and stuff.
The disk is basic useless in this case since you gotta download the "real" game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's like you people aren't familiar with Bethesda. Why would you expect their patching tech to be any more modern than the rest of their antiquated kit? You're lucky they're not mailing the patch out on a stack of CD-ROM.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What do you mean, “you people?”

(I couldn’t find the GIF from the movie)

tumblr_ovztd4Sjlj1rrkahjo2_540.gif

Breakage

The plug-and-play aspect which made home consoles attractive in the first place seems to diminishing in the post-PS2 era.

Last edited:

Petrae

The plug-and-play aspect which made home consoles attractive in the first place seems to diminishing in the post-PS2 era.

“Diminishing”? It’s all but dead, especially in AAA games. Virtually every game has a multi-GB patch that you have to wait to download, on top of the required initial game installation time.

It makes waitiing for disc access times on the older consoles feel faster, by comparison.

Basically, modern console video gaming is bogged down by a ton of waiting. Eat a sandwich, do your taxes, clean your house from top to bottom. Maybe after all that, you get to play what you bought (a license to play).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Very good question. It's all weird to me.

EDMIX

Passing on this game so hard. Should have just did Fallout 5 instead.

? How do you know they are not currently working on Fallout 5 right now?
For all you know its both and not "instead" as the team very much stated this game wasn't stopping the SP Fallout games.

Geki-D

Banned
? How do you know they are not currently working on Fallout 5 right now?
For all you know its both and not "instead" as the team very much stated this game wasn't stopping the SP Fallout games.
It's made by Bethesda Game Studios Austin who are a completely different team. The core team are seemingly working on the next TES.

EDMIX

No biggie. Had pretty big installs and patches from Spiderman and Red Dead 2, don't really mind.

EDMIX

It's made by Bethesda Game Studios Austin who are a completely different team. The core team are seemingly working on the next TES.

"Bethesda Game Studios Austin" Exactly. That studio was never making Fallout 5.

They could have split their current studio to make Fallout 5 or even outsourced it like they did New Vegas

Last edited:
Make physical copies useless without a company provided game fixing online only day one patch.

My conspiracy is that companies are sabotaging physical copies to increase digital sales long term.

Fitzchiv

It's a game they're firefighting with right up to launch night, it's no wonder there are significant changes to be made identified since the discs went to print. It begs the question why they put themselves under so much time pressure on this..?

(Because it's a complacent vanity project)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Make physical copies useless without a company provided game fixing online only day one patch.

My conspiracy is that companies are sabotaging physical copies to increase digital sales long term.
this game is online only so e h

simply unacceptable. It's not that I have some interest in this game, but this trend of big ass patches after day one makes me think if game development is really getting more difficult (though I agree they are getting more complex) every time or is just a way to justify the benefits of the upcoming streaming game service trends.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Will give a Free Hard Disk?

No way I'm going to buy a product like that, I bought elders scroll online and I did not like it at all.

nkarafo

Huh. Apparently the game wasn't finished, not only in terms of troubleshooting and bugs but also in terms of assets. They probably added new textures or sounds otherwise there is no reason for the game to increaze the size like this.

120v

kind of saw this coming and freed up lots of space when the beta rolled out, more than i'm ever usually comfortable with

if it prevents a tire fire launch then i don't have any issue, it's online and a massive game so yeah, it's going to eat away lots of real estate. but that's a big *if* ... i expect issues at launch but not a colossal shitshow

Red Dead 2 and Black Ops 4 both had large day one patches. It's annoying when you buy a game and can't play the fucking thing until the following day.

Ribi

the question I ask is will the files overlap the game? As in will i have to have my 48gb of Fallout and then added onto it this 50+gb or can i delete my FO76 and have to download just this 50gb+? I ask because the bethesda launcher is so bad it wanted me to clear 60gb for thier 30gb patch and i can only imagine how much room i'd have to clear for a 50gb patch.

Mithos

the question I ask is will the files overlap the game? As in will i have to have my 48gb of Fallout and then added onto it this 50+gb or can i delete my FO76 and have to download just this 50gb+? I ask because the bethesda launcher is so bad it wanted me to clear 60gb for thier 30gb patch and i can only imagine how much room i'd have to clear for a 50gb patch.

Sounds like you can delete the BETA on console.

Last edited:

Breakage

“Diminishing”? It’s all but dead, especially in AAA games. Virtually every game has a multi-GB patch that you have to wait to download, on top of the required initial game installation time.

It makes waitiing for disc access times on the older consoles feel faster, by comparison.

Basically, modern console video gaming is bogged down by a ton of waiting. Eat a sandwich, do your taxes, clean your house from top to bottom. Maybe after all that, you get to play what you bought (a license to play).
Yeah, I was trying to be kind, but I suppose you're right. This is the first gen I've sat out since I got into gaming with the PS1, and this trend of very large "day one" patches puts me off. I was irritated by it last gen (when when patches were about ~5GB), but it was bearable. The patch sizes this gen are ridiculous.

Stitch

Gold Member
Mhh so it's not 45.04 GB from the Beta + 54.64 GB for the Day1 Patch? I mean, that doesn't really change anything about the OP, but it frees up a few GB on the hard disk lol

Top Bottom