• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout:New Orleans logo trademarked in EU(no reg info/application under examination)

CloudWolf

Isnt it about time we had a Fallout set on another continent?

Canonically the whole world is fucked up right?
We don't really know. We know China and the European Union (Commonwealth) are fucked, but the rest is unknown.

Anyway, I disagree. Fallout games are specifically about America and basing one outside of the US would probably not even be recognizable as Fallout. The USA was the only country that built Vaults and canonically the robots are also US-only. Basically, a Fallout outside of the US would be a Mad Max game, not Fallout.

Recall

We don't really know. We know China and the European Union (Commonwealth) are fucked, but the rest is unknown.

Anyway, I disagree. Fallout games are specifically about America and basing one outside of the US would probably not even be recognizable as Fallout. The USA was the only country that built Vaults and canonically the robots are also US-only. Basically, a Fallout outside of the US would be a Mad Max game, not Fallout.

Fallout 4 is barely recognisable as Fallout.

If a studio has talent then surely they can overcome the hurdle of a new location?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Would be a cool place for a Fallout game, but doubt this will materialize into anything.

I actually would love to see a non-American location for Fallout.

Canada (Toronto? Vancouver? Montreal?), , England (London?), France (Paris?), Germany (Berlin?), Russia (Moscow?)

GunBR

New Orleans, California, other country

If Obsidian make another Fallout it doesn't matter where it will take place, I would be there day 0

Kalentan

Fallout 4 is barely recognisable as Fallout.

If a studio has talent then surely they can overcome the hurdle of a new location?

Fallout 4 may not have the features normally in a Fallout game but it's still noticable set within the Fallout universe. It doesn't not feel like Fallout.

2SeeKU

I'm ok with more Fallout. New Orleans could work for the Voodoo/American History side of things, but are there many landmarks recognizable for people outside the US?

True on some accounts but there's a lot of freedom to explore with the Fallout universe still. I don't think it needs to be constrained to the U.S. What if it is set in Eastern Europe like the Soviet Union? There is nothing limiting that from being possible. The old Soviet Union aesthetic is just as popular as Americana, there's lots to explore there with that aesthetic + Soviet architecture. I think it would be the best new location if they ever wanted to do one outside the U.S. If I remember correctly, at the time period in Fallout the U.S + Soviet Union were on good terms, but there is much unknown of its fate and state (I thinkt here was some mention of some Russian cities in NV but I can't remember the details right now). There were some Ukrainian and Russian NPCs in New Vegas too. I think it would be a great setting.

Excuse the bump if this is dumb but last week Josh Sawyer was on a Fallout podcast where he had a bit of a slip of the tongue when asked what he is working on. I think it's pretty clear to make out what he was about to say but I guess I'm reading too much into it since he also used a bit of past tense there until chuckling and saying "now Project Louisiana". It's timestamped here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPQ8v0oNGMA&t=1924s

Louisiana field notes, Project Louisiana, Obsidian employees expressed in the past that they'd like to do a game in New Orleans (and in same podcast expresses the same), this trademark, a slip of the tongue - it's all too much for me, I want to believe it's true.

Likely fake (the fonts don't match up, looks like the Fallout logo is copied from another source with the New Orleans pasted on after the fact) or made by Bethesda at the very least, but goddamn if Obsidian were to get another shot, I'd be there Day fucking ZERO.

Obsidian would be a dream come true.

I just don't want to encounter backwater throughout the city though. I want a nice dry adventure. We just need some over the top kooky, southern politicians with personalities never before seen in a Bethesda style Rpg.

Excuse the bump if this is dumb but last week Josh Sawyer was on a Fallout podcast where he had a bit of a slip of the tongue when asked what he is working on. I think it's pretty clear to make out what he was about to say but I guess I'm reading too much into it since he also used a bit of past tense there until chuckling and saying "now Project Louisiana". It's timestamped here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPQ8v0oNGMA&t=1924s

Louisiana field notes, Project Louisiana, Obsidian employees expressed in the past that they'd like to do a game in New Orleans (and in same podcast expresses the same), this trademark, a slip of the tongue - it's all too much for me, I want to believe it's true.

Josh saying that is pretty telling. It may ultimately end up being nothing, but that slip of the tongue is VERY interesting.

MattyG

Banned

So they basically denied the rumors, but these all these coincidences. Hmmm....

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Sawyer categorically denied that his Lousiana tease late last year was Fallout-related. I'm not familiar with his history vis-a-vis rumours, but in these cases people tend to just stay mum when there's an element of truth rather than tell a white lie.

iirc doesn't obsidian use state names as codenames for their in-development games, in the order that they were admitted to the union? project louisiana would just mean that it's their 18th project

Krakn3Dfx

https://youtu.be/YPQ8v0oNGMA?t=36m14s

He also mentions there that Obsidian always talked about doing a game in New Orleans. Something to think about

A couple things that stood out to me in this video:

- how he went out of his way to not say anything negative about Fallout 4, and in fact play up several aspects of the game in a way that felt very "buddy buddy" with Bethesda, like he had a standing investment with them that precluded him from saying anything that might harm that

- He mentions Project Louisiana, pointedly says he can't talk about it, and then minutes later talks about a Fallout set in New Orleans

I still think there's a good chance P.L. is a Fallout game from Obsidian, New Vegas is beloved, and it would be an easy way to keep the hype up for the series while Bethesda works on other stuff in the meantime. Fallout is a huge deal for Bethesda, from game sales to merchandising, substantially bigger than Elder Scrolls I think, it's guaranteed money for them. I get an email for a new Fallout item on the Bethesda store once a week at least. I think we'll see more Fallout sooner rather than later, especially with the FO4 DLC wrapping up.

Regardless, if Bethesda has another show at E3 next year, I've got money on an interim Fallout announcement, whether it's from Obsidian or another developer, but I think Obsidian, because they've proven they have their finger on the pulse of what Fallout fans enjoy.

There's no way Beth and Obsidian will work on another project together ever again thanks to the NV fiasco lol.

Obsidian has repeatedly said that would love to work on another Fallout. Meanwhile Bethesda refuses to even acknowledge the existence of NV or the people who developed it. They erased that shit from their memory lol.

I loved NV so much T_T

I call fakerinos.

There wasn't any New Vegas fiasco. New Vegas sold more copies than Fallout 3. Just because some of us happen to enjoy New Vegas a LOT more than Fallout 3, and just because some people have seen fit to put Bethesda on complete blast over their handling of the franchise, doesn't prove that Bethesda is reluctant to work with Obsidian again. They've proven they have the chops, so if they want two Fallout games in one gen like last gen, it's really the perfect partnership, for absolutely everyone involved, including us.
Or maybe they did or I'm just missing things. But either way i just can't see Beth allowing Obsidian to make another one after what happened.

What on earth are you even referring to? What happened, pray tell? Obsidian put out a better game? So what? Bethesda just put out a more successful game that I'm sure validates their own East Coast Fallout trappings in their eyes. I'm sure it's water under the bridge.

If you're referring to the terrible conditions behind New Vegas' development, or the unpaid Metacritic bonus... well, obviously the folks at Obsidian don't care too much about all that anymore.

God damnit, the chance is near zero.

Still:

7e3.jpg

There's no way Beth and Obsidian will work on another project together ever again thanks to the NV fiasco lol.

Obsidian has repeatedly said that would love to work on another Fallout. Meanwhile Bethesda refuses to even acknowledge the existence of NV or the people who developed it. They erased that shit from their memory lol.

I loved NV so much T_T

I call fakerinos.

But there is a New Vegas mini game in Fallout 4.

I remember one line in Fallout 4 referring to events from New Vegas including the NCR.

The secondary antagonist's entire backstory revolves around his experiences in New California.
There's several notes throughout the game that mention the NCR.
Nick Valentine (among others) is aware of the NCR and has communicated with NCR citizens, for example.

draetenth

Meh, without Avellone on the team, an Obsidian Fallout wouldn't be anything like New Vegas anyway even if this turns out to be true.

I'd call it fake. Highly doubtful location since it's so far away from the West Coast unless they'd want to start up a spin off game there. By spin off I mean location with no connections to either Coast games.

You've got a point, but I think they could make it work. Assuming a canon NCR or House victory at Hoover Damn, New Orleans could be something of a nexus - a path for the Legion's escape as the NCR machine chases them eastward in order to eradicate them. A meeting point for two very different Brotherhood of Steels. And of course it could feature a bunch of its own unique local flavor. And in order to enable this kind of plot, all they'd have to do is set Fallout: New Orleans like three years after Fallout 4, which itself only took place seven years after New Vegas's opening sequence.

I mean, if people in the Commonwealth are aware of the NCR... There's gotta be a good reason for that.

Isnt it about time we had a Fallout set on another continent?

Canonically the whole world is fucked up right?

As much as Fallout's identity seems to revolve around Americana these days...

I think a Fallout London could be something special.

That's about the only place I could think to have a non-American Fallout setting. I'll admit that part of that stems from the UK's 40s and 50s culture being the only other 40s/50s culture I'm even a little familiar with, but still.

^Apparently the West Coast/Mojave Brotherhood reestablished contact with the East at some point prior to Maxson becoming Elder. That's why the Brotherhood in FO4 sucks. They gave up the altruism of the Lyons' Brotherhood.

New Vegas was the real Fallout 3. It'll be interesting to see the real Fallout 4 from the real Fallout team.

New Vegas was based off of the unfinished isometric Fallout 3 codenamed Van Buren. It'll be interesting to see where the (remains) of the original Fallout team take the story forward without having a base like Van Buren.

That is if this really is an Obsidian Fallout game.

NJDEN

THANK YOU! I feel the exact same way. I see plenty of people asking about a non-Americana based game... The only way it would work is maybe Canada which the US annexed and built vaults in I believe.

^Apparently the West Coast/Mojave Brotherhood reestablished contact with the East at some point prior to Maxson becoming Elder. That's why the Brotherhood in FO4 sucks. They gave up the altruism of the Lyons' Brotherhood.

That's true, but it's also very likely that the East Coast BoS is a lot more powerful than the West Coast BoS at this point, particularly because of major elements of BoS ideology that the East Coast BoS managed to totally shed despite their eventual return to authoritarianism under Maxson. I mean, it's insinuated in Fallout 4 that the Brotherhood of Steel is the ruling power over Washington DC and the surrounding area - which is more power than any other chapter of the BoS could have ever claimed to wield, perhaps even nearing that of the NCR moreso than any other faction in the US - and much of that is due to East Coast BoS's past charity in that region having genuinely made it a better and safer place, and that the East Coast BoS is open to new recruits from all walks of life as opposed to being doomed under a policy of complete nepotism.

With the East Coast BoS weilding the kind of power that they do, I could see them vying for control over not only every other chapter of the BoS, but also the entire regions in which they exist. West Coast chapter hides in caves, persecuted by enemies that that chapter genuinely deserved. Midwest chapter still travels by foot, and they're probably mostly dead anyways (the survivors could hold a mighty grudge). East Coast owns the skies, and an army at that.

New Vegas was the real Fallout 3. It'll be interesting to see the real Fallout 4 from the real Fallout team.

New Vegas was based off of the unfinished isometric Fallout 3 codenamed Van Buren. It'll be interesting to see where the (remains) of the original Fallout team take the story forward without having a base like Van Buren.

That is if this really is an Obsidian Fallout game.

When you put it like that, this really would be Fallout 4 for me.

MartyStu

Meh, without Avellone on the team, an Obsidian Fallout wouldn't be anything like New Vegas anyway even if this turns out to be true.

Company culture as well as New Vegas as a template are more than enough to give me more hope for the game than if it were from any other studio.

Nairume

Banned
New Vegas sold more copies than Fallout 3.
Minor aside, but did it? From what I can at least tell, EEDAR is suggesting that Fallout 3 has between half a million and a million copies on NV, though I guess that would at least suggest that probably NV sold better than 3 within the same amount of time from their respective releases.

That said, doesn't really change that the "bad blood" between Obsidian and Bethesda might be overblown. Obsidian seems to have specifically avoided commenting much on it in a way that would burn bridges (as I recall, Brian Fargo was the one who aired some of that dirty laundry) despite how some of their figureheads haven't shied from making it clear they weren't happy about other prior jobs. Not to mention, it's not like they're really in any position to turn down contract work offered to them. Urquhart has also mentioned that he's open to them being bought out, so it's not like they'd refuse to work on Fallout again because of the possibility of Bethesda wanting to buy them out.

On the Bethesda side, I don't really see any reason they wouldn't want to work with Obsidian again. Despite how skeevy of a publisher they are, the fact that Obsidian still made them a lot of money probably trumps any possible hurt feelings they may have on that front.

That's true, but it's also very likely that the East Coast BoS is a lot more powerful than the West Coast BoS at this point, particularly because of major elements of BoS ideology that the East Coast BoS managed to totally shed despite their eventual return to authoritarianism under Maxson. I mean, it's insinuated in Fallout 4 that the Brotherhood of Steel is the ruling power over Washington DC and the surrounding area - which is more power than any other chapter of the BoS could have ever claimed to wield, perhaps even nearing that of the NCR moreso than any other faction in the US - and much of that is due to East Coast BoS's past charity in that region having genuinely made it a better and safer place, and that the East Coast BoS is open to new recruits from all walks of life as opposed to being doomed under a policy of complete nepotism.

With the East Coast BoS weilding the kind of power that they do, I could see them vying for control over not only every other chapter of the BoS, but also the entire regions in which they exist. West Coast chapter hides in caves, persecuted by enemies that that chapter genuinely deserved. Midwest chapter still travels by foot, and they're probably mostly dead anyways (the survivors could hold a mighty grudge). East Coast owns the skies, and an army at that.
The outsider recruitment is the only real holdover from the benevolent Lyons Brotherhood. Now under Maxson, the East Coast Brotherhood is no better than the Institute.

That really pissed me off. Where Bethesda took the Brotherhood in FO3 was one of the handful of things about that game I liked. Minutemen are the only objectively lawful good in the Commonwealth.

Minor aside, but did it? From what I can at least tell, EEDAR is suggesting that Fallout 3 has between half a million and a million copies on NV, though I guess that would at least suggest that probably NV sold better than 3 within the same amount of time from their respective releases.

That said, doesn't really change that the "bad blood" between Obsidian and Bethesda might be overblown. Obsidian seems to have specifically avoided commenting much on it in a way that would (as I recall, Brian Fargo was the one who aired some of that dirty laundry) despite how some of their figureheads haven't shied from making it clear they weren't happy about other prior jobs. Not to mention, it's not like they're really in any position to turn down contract work offered to them. Urquhart has also mentioned that he's open to them being bought out, so it's not like they'd refuse to work on Fallout again because of the possibility of Bethesda wanting to buy them out.

On the Bethesda side, I don't really see any reason they wouldn't want to work with Obsidian again. Despite how skeevy of a publisher they are, the fact that Obsidian still made them a lot of money probably trumps any possible hurt feelings they may have on that front.

I was under the impression that it had because i had recalled seeing numbers suggesting as much during the leadup to F4's release. Could be wrong, though, but just half a million short would still be pretty damn impressive considering the timeframe. Completely agree with everything else you've said.

The outsider recruitment is the only real holdover from the benevolent Lyons Brotherhood. Now under Maxson, the East Coast Brotherhood is no better than the Institute.

That really pissed me off. Where Bethesda took the Brotherhood in FO3 was one of the handful of things about that game I liked. Minutemen are the only objectively lawful good in the Commonwealth.

To be fair, the switchup seemed to me like Bethesda throwing a bone to fans of previous Fallout games, because I recall the East Coast chapter's altruism being highly contentious among fans of Fallout 1 and 2 back in the day as it was 'deeply out of character' for the BoS. Not to say that it was executed particularly well... off-screening Lyons like that, eeeh.

MattyG

Banned
I dunno Project Louisiana... Fallout slip... oooo thats it. Imma chargin ma hype laser.
Yeah, I actually watched the video of the slip since I just read the posts about it before and damn, it definitely seems like this is legit. That grimace after he says "Project Louisiana", the stuttered "I was working on Fall... Pillar of Eternity 1" followed by the same grimace (though he probably was going to say New Vegas, don't know if the timeline makes that make sense or not though). There's just way too much there for this to all be nothing.

Top Bottom