• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

sdornan

Is it weird that I have a PC that can handle this but want to get it on 360 anyway? Big TV, voice chat with a friend while playing, and all that.

Amir0x

Banned
sdornan said:
Is it weird that I have a PC that can handle this but want to get it on 360 anyway? Big TV, voice chat with a friend while playing, and all that.

you can do that all with a PC too

Gravijah

sdornan said:

Is it weird I'm getting the PS3 version over the 360 version --knowing all the problems i'm probably gonna encounter-- because I don't feel like hooking my 360 up? :lol

klee123

after playing F3 on PS3 and PC, I'm never playing any Bethesda game on consoles ever again. The mod support for oblivion and F3(especially oblivion) have been nothing short of amazing.

Gonna start preloading this on steam asap.

RetroMG

I am buying it on PS3 because I had so many issues on 360 with F3. I made the joke to my coworkers that it also has the added perk that I can switch from FNV to Reach without having to get up to change disks. All of my coworkers proclaimed that it was a great idea. (/sigh)

Gravijah

RetroGamer42 said:
I am buying it on PS3 because I had so many issues on 360 with F3. I made the joke to my coworkers that it also has the added perk that I can switch from FNV to Reach without having to get up to change disks. All of my coworkers proclaimed that it was a great idea. (/sigh)

But the PS3 version had even more bugs... Yucky. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't have a PC, so it's between PS3 and 360. I'm playing on 360 because we won't know the differences until after release, which does me no good, and the 360 is the better bet when it comes to having less technical problems.

At least there isn't any stupid fuckin exclusive* DLC this time around.

* Yes it was timed, but waiting several months is kinda lousy

Wag

sdornan said:
I have my PC hooked up to my HDTV, surround setup and use my wireless 360 controller.

klee123 said:
after playing F3 on PS3 and PC, I'm never playing any Bethesda game on consoles ever again. The mod support for oblivion and F3(especially oblivion) have been nothing short of amazing.

Gonna start preloading this on steam asap.

Same - though I've experienced far more crashes on PC than I did on PS3. I'm only using Fellout, Book of Earache (which is a CALIBR mod I think) and the streetlights mod, and it makes such a massive difference.

owlbeak

I am going to buy this, but I'm slightly worried it's going to be more of an expansion pack and less of a new game. From the previews and everything, it seems basically the same, which is fine because Fallout 3 was great. However, I HATE the graphics engine they used. I was hoping they'd spruce it up some or even change it entirely. I understand why they didn't, but still. My problem with the engine Bethesda created is that everything looks too round and goofy, not to mention animations are terrible. Doesn't look like Obsidian touched that up very much.

Anyway, I'll be playing on release day! :)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Horsebite said:
I am going to buy this, but I'm slightly worried it's going to be more of an expansion pack and less of a new game. From the previews and everything, it seems basically the same, which is fine because Fallout 3 was great. However, I HATE the graphics engine they used. I was hoping they'd spruce it up some or even change it entirely. I understand why they didn't, but still. My problem with the engine Bethesda created is that everything looks too round and goofy, not to mention animations are terrible. Doesn't look like Obsidian touched that up very much.

After watching a stream for 9 hours today i can say with confidence that this is not an expansion pack.

sdornan said:

I keep my 360 on so I can be in party chat while I am playing on pc.

Wallach

Horsebite said:

It's as much of an expansion pack as Fallout 2 was.

Locked in and getting it, but I'll admit, I'm worried. Every game Obsidian has ever released has been incredibly buggy and broken. Gamebryos weird on its own as an engine. Hopefully they actually did QA on this one.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
BrassMonkey1010 said:
9 hours...Holy Shit!! Doesn't that kind of ruin the experience for you when you actually play?
Not really. The person playing had this wacky character build (low INT/CHA/PER/no Speech but high STR/END and they used combat to resolve everything lol) and was basically a total idiot when it came to some things. They did very little side-quests and mostly just followed the main path or ran around. It did take him 5 hours just to get to New Vegas without doing any side quests btw.

Dead Man

dygiT said:
With the cannibal perk, can you eat children? If not I am boycotting this game.

[/nomutantsallowed]

Anyways, has anything been said about whether Fallout 3 mods will be compatible with New Vegas? I like the way my character from Fallout 3 looks and her appearance cannot be recreated without mods.
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/kdyg/ScreenShot2.jpg[/QUOTE]
Shouldn't be a problem. There will be a GECK on release, and Nexus is already setting up their servers for mods.

Edit: Well, you may have to change some paths and whatnot, but if you can use GECK and something like NifSKope you should be fine.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
g35twinturbo said:
got my copy earlier for 360 :)

Great.

Now your only purpose in life will be to deliver impressions to us. We need details.
How in depth is the character creator? Better than Fallout 3?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
bubnbob said:
Is Hardcore available from the start or do you have to unlock it?

Choosable from the start. Like I said before, I think it's meant to be the proper way to play Fallout but I'm sure the dev's shied away from making it standard since weak-ass bitches wouldn't like it.

I'm doing it from the start, it sounds like everything I wanted in Fallout 3 and it's great that it's separate from difficulty level.

RetroMG

Gravijah said:
But the PS3 version had even more bugs... Yucky. :(

I have heard that, but it hasn't been my experience. I'm playing F3 on PS3 right now, and it's running fine, while on 360 it was so buggy I thought my 360 was breaking down. Apparently my mileage may vary?

Wallach

Gravijah said:
hey guy

if you find a bozar... sell it

and don't tell wallach

lgSHm.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RetroGamer42 said:
I have heard that, but it hasn't been my experience. I'm playing F3 on PS3 right now, and it's running fine, while on 360 it was so buggy I thought my 360 was breaking down. Apparently my mileage may vary?

I haven't played the PS3 version, but I can confirm that the 360 version had some nasty bugs like the giant polygons that appeared and it froze a lot. Then again, I was playing on a troubled 360 so maybe that contributed towards the problem. I think we can all agree that all vanilla versions were very buggy.

As long as they're not game breaking, like freezes or save glitches, I don't give a shit. I'm fine with levitating bodies and stuff like that.

Gravijah

The only really serious glitches I ever encountered in F3 PS3 were some tiles that would freeze a large percentage of the time, and other random freezes.

Snuggler said:
I haven't played the PS3 version, but I can confirm that the 360 version had some nasty bugs like the giant polygons that appeared and it froze a lot. Then again, I was playing on a troubled 360 so maybe that contributed towards the problem. I think we can all agree that all vanilla versions were very buggy.

As long as they're not game breaking, like freezes or save glitches, I don't give a shit. I'm fine with levitating bodies and stuff like that.

I played F3 on 360 and didn't see a single bug.

whatevermort said:
I played F3 on 360 and didn't see a single bug.
You are a lucky soul, especially if you have all the DLC. I've gotten stuck in the ground, had enemies raining down from the sky, fallen through the ground and died (damn Pitt glitches), and many many freezes (though they could have been from just playing for hours on end). I haven't really encountered too many on the PS3 version (though I haven't been through all the DLC in the PS3 version yet). Mostly just freezes (which again could be from playing for hours on end).

Shinjitsu

Banned
Gravijah said:
The only really serious glitches I ever encountered in F3 PS3 were some tiles that would freeze a large percentage of the time, and other random freezes.

Kinda hoping this time around the PS3 doesn't run into any console specific issues.

I'll end up double dipping for the PC version eventually. I'll do it like I did for FO3, play the game on a console (PS3 this time around since my 5th 360 died and I just decided to call it quits) then pick up the GOTY PC edition when it goes on sale on steam.:D

King Chozo said:
You are a lucky soul, especially if you have all the DLC. I've gotten stuck in the ground, had enemies raining down from the sky, fallen through the ground and died (damn Pitt glitches), and many many freezes (though they could have been from just playing for hours on end). I haven't really encountered too many on the PS3 version (though I haven't been through all the DLC in the PS3 version yet). Mostly just freezes (which again could be from playing for hours on end).

Only Broken Steel. I did hear that a lot of the DLC was pretty damned janky, so I didn't really bother.

bunbun777

This is how it's going down for my first char: tentatively named, Mr. Mjister:

S-3

P-5

E-1

C-7

I-8

A-7

L-4

With the WW and Four Eyes Traits- Just will need to find home somewhere in game and booya~ 100+ hours confirmed~

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
pre-loading :D

6.9 GB

:O :O :O

fallout new vegas\Data\Music\Fallout1and2\Fallout
fallout new vegas\Data\Music\Fallout1and2\Fallout2

fallout new vegas\Data\Music\OLD\FO1
fallout new vegas\Data\Music\OLD\FO2
fallout new vegas\Data\Music\OLD\FO3

I don't know if it's all of it, it's still loading up :)

Top Bottom