• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Denzar

So, I'm getting this on console, no matter what (Because I have no valid gaming PC).

Probably better on 360 right? Going from F3?

I played F3 on PS3 'cause my 360 was busted back then, and was kind of bummed out that the visuals were kinda jagged.

eXistor

I can easily play this on my PC and play it on the same tv my Xbox is connected to, but I'm still getting the 360 version. I just hate dealing with PC shit and F3 on the 360 was fine.

Wallach

eXistor said:
I can easily play this on my PC and play it on the same tv my Xbox is connected to, but I'm still getting the 360 version. I just hate dealing with PC shit and F3 on the 360 was fine.

4E6UG.gif

itxaka

Defeatist
eXistor said:

KPQFx.gif

markot

Banned
eXistor said:
PC shit such as....?... like remembering you log on password?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Getting this is a foregone conclusion for me. I've been following those Kmart deals from CAG for a bit now. I got one of those New Vegas coaster sets for $5 a few weeks ago which got me a $15 coupon for this week. I bought the empty Epic Mickey box which got me another $15 coupon for the end of next month, but also a $10 coupon for this past week, which I used to get Super Scribblenauts, which got me a $15 coupon good for next week. Since they stack, I get New Vegas for about $20, which also gets me a $20 coupon, which if it has the same extended effective duration as the $15 from Scribblenauts may be long enough to stack with the coupon for the end of November. Depending on if Epic Mickey turns out to be any good, I could then get that for $15 after the coupons. It will presumably spit out yet another coupon. :D

Rad-

He probably means crashes and shit, this is an Obsidian game after all. I regret buying AP for PC, unstable piece of crap.

DarthWoo said:
Getting this is a foregone conclusion for me. I've been following those Kmart deals from CAG for a bit now. I got one of those New Vegas coaster sets for $5 a few weeks ago which got me a $15 coupon for this week. I bought the empty Epic Mickey box which got me another $15 coupon for the end of next month, but also a $10 coupon for this past week, which I used to get Super Scribblenauts, which got me a $15 coupon good for next week. Since they stack, I get New Vegas for about $20, which also gets me a $20 coupon, which if it has the same extended effective duration as the $15 from Scribblenauts may be long enough to stack with the coupon for the end of November. Depending on if Epic Mickey turns out to be any good, I could then get that for $15 after the coupons. It will presumably spit out yet another coupon. :D

I'm in the same boat, saving 20 on games due to coupons and getting 20 in coupons in return. Kmart actually stepped up recently. :D

Jerk

Banned
Rad- said:
He probably means crashes and shit, this is an Obsidian game after all. I regret buying AP for PC, unstable piece of crap.

Funny. AP was a much worse game on 360/Ps3.

daevv

Like Fallout 3 I'll be getting this on PS3 first then the GOTY (or equivalent) on the 360 however...I still like to know if the DLC will be timed exclusive to 360 like Fallout 3 as that was/is my deciding factor in what console to get it for.

~d

Visualante said:
For the best, lets reviewers actually try a sizable chunk of the game.

I couldn't imagine having to play a game like this under the gun in order to meet a deadline. Hopefully Obsidian sent review copies out early enough.

randomwab

Any way to preload without having pre-ordered from Steam? My LE isn't going to be coming until next Friday, but I'd like to have the game ready, so I only have to enter the serial code and jump in.

JoeBoy101

eXistor said:

23mo50y.gif

Ledsen

eXistor said:

Same here... and I'm the guy who spent hours writing the TESIV: Oblivion - So you want to start using mods, eh? thread :lol I've spent years following the modding scene for Morrowind and Oblivion, because they were kinda crappy without mods (MW less so), but for FO3 I never really felt the need. The game was awesome without them. I'll probably play through New Vegas on my 360, then wait for the PC GOTY edition to play all the DLC and add some mods if I feel like it needs them.

Let the hating commence

Hixx

Ledsen said:
Same here... and I'm the guy who spent hours writing the "Oblivion - so you want to start using mods, eh?" thread? :lol I've spent years following the modding scene for Morrowind and Oblivion, because they were kinda crappy without mods (MW less so), but for FO3 I never really felt the need. The game was awesome without them. I'll probably play through New Vegas on my 360, then wait for the PC GOTY edition to play all the DLC and add some mods if I feel like it needs them.

Let the hating commence

Exactly what I'm doing (360 then PC GOTY).

Unless I hate FNV, anyway.

Ledsen

HixxSAFC said:
Exactly what I'm doing (360 then PC GOTY).

Unless I hate FNV, anyway.

Yeah I spent way too much money on the DLC for FO3 on 360, and only one or two were decent... not making that mistake again!

Cheech

mikeybwright said:
I'm in the same boat, saving 20 on games due to coupons and getting 20 in coupons in return. Kmart actually stepped up recently. :D

Amazon has very similar deals, and as an added bonus you don't have to walk into a Kmart.

Also, no sales tax. And, my wife used to work the returns desk at a Kmart. Enough horror stories to create a thread about.

Amir0x

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I still don't understand why you even bothered with the 360 version of Lara Croft :lol

Well, it came out a whole month before the PC version. Plus, I did get the PC version too.

Cheech

dreamer3kx said:

Is she shoplifting a purse? Is she trying to vandalize a car with her head? What is going on there? :lol

I will admit I wish I had the balls to buy this on PC. My "rig" is a Alienware m11x. Which hooks into my home theater just fine, but then I have to bring it downstairs, plug the hdmi cable in, plug the controller in... the 360 is already set up and ready to go.

I am lame. That said, if I felt like there was a HUGE difference in the 360/PC versions of this game, I would suck it up and go PC. However, I don't know if it's because the Gamebryo engine is so damn old, but FO3 was not a huge graphical leap between versions. And no, I don't care about mods. With FO3 and Oblivion, I sunk around 150-200 hours into each around launch, and didn't touch them again until the DLC dropped.

That said, I am picking up Dead Rising 2 on PC when they fix the damn wireless 360 pad issue, because in that case there does appear to be a pretty big difference between versions. Baby steps. :lol

disappeared said:
I couldn't imagine having to play a game like this under the gun in order to meet a deadline. Hopefully Obsidian sent review copies out early enough.
It has been gold for a couple of weeks, reviewers should have had final code for some time.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Ledsen said:
Same here... and I'm the guy who spent hours writing the TESIV: Oblivion - So you want to start using mods, eh? thread :lol I've spent years following the modding scene for Morrowind and Oblivion, because they were kinda crappy without mods (MW less so), but for FO3 I never really felt the need. The game was awesome without them. I'll probably play through New Vegas on my 360, then wait for the PC GOTY edition to play all the DLC and add some mods if I feel like it needs them.

Let the hating commence

I am not hating but I dont understand. Is there something stopping you to play it on PC directly without modding? Wont it be fine too, just like 360 version (and $10 cheaper)?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cheech said:
Is she shoplifting a purse? Is she trying to vandalize a car with her head? What is going on there? :lol

I will admit I wish I had the balls to buy this on PC. My "rig" is a Alienware m11x. Which hooks into my home theater just fine, but then I have to bring it downstairs, plug the hdmi cable in, plug the controller in... the 360 is already set up and ready to go.

I am lame. That said, if I felt like there was a HUGE difference in the 360/PC versions of this game, I would suck it up and go PC. However, I don't know if it's because the Gamebryo engine is so damn old, but FO3 was not a huge graphical leap between versions. And no, I don't care about mods. With FO3 and Oblivion, I sunk around 150-200 hours into each around launch, and didn't touch them again until the DLC dropped.

That said, I am picking up Dead Rising 2 on PC when they fix the damn wireless 360 pad issue, because in that case there does appear to be a pretty big difference between versions. Baby steps. :lol
The difference here is the same as the difference with Dead Rising 2 on PC. Better textures, 1080p, 8x AA and 60 fps. Fallout 3 vanilla can look quite stunning on PC, especially when hooked up to a TV.

eXistor

EviLore said:
Fuck yeah.....?
I can see I shouldn't have said that :lol

What I meant to say was, my pc has had some problems in the past (games not working when they should and such). I didn't mean that PC and stuff in general is shit, in fact, it's great!

Anyway back on topic we go!

Barrett2

Oh man, only three days away! I am so damn excited to get back into that wasteland; radio playing in the background, slowly walking towards the next thing to explore!

I'll probably keep it simple like in F3. Small guns & lock picking.

gola

Anyone else positive/sceptical about how they have integrated the gambling? I don´t know how they plan to do it in New Vegas, but minigame-gambling in computer games has always left me cold. It always feels like playing solitaire with monopoly money. The last iteration I tried was in Red Dead Redemption. It was very boring and slow with all the ridiculous "realism" of the animations. Really hope they have thought about some more exciting way, and if not, I hope it at least is optional. I fear one has to play it at some point to move the main story along...

Cheech

Stallion Free said:
The difference here is the same as the difference with Dead Rising 2 on PC. Better textures, 1080p, 8x AA and 60 fps. Fallout 3 vanilla can look quite stunning on PC, especially when hooked up to a TV.

That is not necessarily the case for me, though. My m11x:

Core3Duo 7300 (1.7)
4 gigs
GeForce GT335M with a dedicated gig

So, it's not a terrible rig. It can play almost everything out there, but usually nowhere near max settings. Thanks to the gig of ram on the GPU I can usually get the best texture rez, but on something like Civ V it *chugs* because of the CPU.

And, there is no way it can play anything at 1080p. I usually have to downrez. Batman AA I played at 720p.

I am investigating a gaming PC, and been lurking in the GAF thread. There seems to be a new batch of GPUs out this December, and I will bite then.

kai3345

Banned
Did anyone else do a "No fast-travel" run of F3?

Probably one of the most fun gaming experiences ever. All of the random encounters sprinkled along the way made it so much more fun than just fast traveling.

I've purchased Fallout New Vegas but I'm still not able to view the store page because last week I accidentally put my date of birth in as 1998
kai3345 said:
Did anyone else do a "No fast-travel" run of F3?

Probably one of the most fun gaming experiences ever. All of the random encounters sprinkled along the way made it so much more fun than just fast traveling.
Except for fetch quests that required a long walk more than quarter of the map, like to rivet city. I honestly spent most of the game not knowing you could do it.

Gravijah

Amir0x said:
i gotta say i really don't know how i survived before i joined the PC Master Gaming Race

fuck yeah

i'm currently playing wow at 1024 x 768 on all low settings @ 15-30 fps

it's majestic!

:*****(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cheech said:
And, there is no way it can play anything at 1080p. I usually have to downrez. Batman AA I played at 720p.

I am investigating a gaming PC, and been lurking in the GAF thread. There seems to be a new batch of GPUs out this December, and I will bite then.
Then you should still get the PC version because with your current specs you can match the 360 visuals and when you upgrade they will only improve. 360 visuals will never improve.

kai3345

Banned
Visualante said:
I've purchased Fallout New Vegas but I'm still not able to view the store page because last week I accidentally put my date of birth in as 1998

Except for fetch quests that required a long walk more than quarter of the map, like to rivet city. I honestly spent most of the game not knowing you could do it.
That was fun though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheExecutive said:
Ugh. Rub it in why don't ya?

k

EviLore said:
I have a mirrored desk + home theater setup using one PC. HDMI from 5870 to home theater receiver for video/audio there, dvi from 5870 to desktop monitor.

PC:
-Core i7 @ 3.6-4.0ghz
-Radeon 5870
-12GB DDR3
-9TB hdd space + intel x-25m SSD for OS/apps

Desk:
-1080p monitor
-sennheiser pc 350 headset
-trackir pro 5
-intellimouse optical (I'm left-handed) and logitech illuminated ultrathin keyboard
-comfy office chair

Home theater:
-1080p HDTV
-5.1 surround sound
-second set of intellimouse optical and logitech illuminated ultrathin keyboard using usb extension cords
-wireless xbox 360 controller for windows
-SF4 TE stick
-various dual shock solutions
-comfy recliner

These games all installed, a double click away: http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilore/games?tab=all

Dust on my consoles.

Top Bottom