• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Ricker

Kurtofan said:
Dead money I NEED YOUR HELP
Dean's quest.
with Dean how do I set up the two holographs so he can feel safe?
I set up one but he's still bitching.

Or just tell me
if he dies if I don't activate them.

You mean when you bring him where he needs to wait for the Event...? whatever you do or the way you do it,he doesn`t die there....I just threatened him if I remember right and he wound up agreeing to stay and do his part

Kurtofan

Ricker said:
You mean when you bring him where he needs to wait for the Event...? whatever you do or the way you do it,he doesn`t die there....I just threatened him if I remember right and he wound up agreeing to stay and do his part
Really?
Cool then.

Ricker

g35twinturbo said:
ugh that makes me sad.

There has to be a WAY!

Umm not sure about that...we are talking about Dead Money right? the way it`s going for me right now,it could be completly possible to continue playing after....i`m hoping it is because i`m almost level 34 and reaching 35 after this would be sweet...haven`t finished yet though(i`m very close to the end of Dead Money).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So what are the best perks in New Vegas? I'm about 10-12 hours in and so far I've gone for the extra 10% experience-perks and another similar one. I'm playing as a fairly average dude, mainly using guns and rifles.

Lakitu

st5fu
I was watching a video earlier, and saw someone playing a mod. Unless it's a mod, I heard someone mention something about
Caesar's Legate being killed
from a random NPC. I thought it was peculiar.

krakov

itsinmyveins said:
So what are the best perks in New Vegas? I'm about 10-12 hours in and so far I've gone for the extra 10% experience-perks and another similar one. I'm playing as a fairly average dude, mainly using guns and rifles.

Extra experience and Here & Now are the worst ones, I almost wish there was a perk that gave you less experience. Educated and Comprehension (?) are the first ones to go for, the rest depends.

Natural

ChoklitReign said:
What's the best weapon to use against nightkin? I'm level 7 and the single shotgun doesn't work too well. I'm doing the Come Fly With Me Quest. Maybe I should use stealth.

Just did this quest! I really liked how all these missions and side quests kept developing throughout it, laughed a bit at some of the characters too.

Managed to take out 4 Nightkin (while being at level 3 too) before resorting to using stealth boys.

Upto Nordac now I think, but decided to do the missions I left to the side. Just about to go to some Ranger place to the West so I can find a Sheriff for Primm.

Ricker

Seriously at the end of Dead Money? I seriously have to do this?

I have to get out of there in that little time?...tried 3 times now and having to redo all the talking and all is getting annoying...

Yeef

Best perks obviously depend on your build. Unlike Fallout 3 you can't be a master of all trades in New Vegas. Getting the extra skill point perk as soon as possible is a must. Comprehension also helps tons for hacking and conversations. Magazines are plentiful enough that you can basically get a +20 bonus to whatever stat you need for a minute or two.

Most of the other perks are extremely build-dependent. You do get some nice 'free' perks for completing challenges though. Mainly bonuses to specific types of enemies and with specific types of aid items.

Wallach

Yeef said:
Best perks obviously depend on your build. Unlike Fallout 3 you can't be a master of all trades in New Vegas. Getting the extra skill point perk as soon as possible is a must. Comprehension also helps tons for hacking and conversations. Magazines are plentiful enough that you can basically get a +20 bonus to whatever stat you need for a minute or two.

Most of the other perks are extremely build-dependent. You do get some nice 'free' perks for completing challenges though. Mainly bonuses to specific types of enemies and with specific types of aid items.

I don't feel like Educated is a big deal. I would recommend Comprehension over it if you're dead set on taking one of them. They're both good, just not extraordinarily so (which makes sense given they are easy to get, low level perks).

ElFly said:
I have to disagree too. The completely fucked up communities of FO3 are a big part of what made it great.

In contrast, New Vegas suffers of a terminal boringness, given how most of the towns are living a normal life now, with only the legion and a couple of other minor gangs to rise trouble.

I was not a big fan of the main plot in FO3, but at least in the start it had a great delivery, and gave the main character a great motivation, while in NV your whole story is condensed in a terrible FMV and you are booted into a regular western town.

In the same vein,
Mr. House/Benny plan's is more intelligent than J.H.Eden's, but simply, Eden is the better written character, and NV completely fails to provide a comparable counterpart.

Agreed. I liked FO3 better. The side quest were just more memorable, whereas in NV, I'm traveling location to location in a tedious and monotonous fashion. In FO3, the wasteland was a truly terrifying place full of super mutants, random Enclave dropships, raiders with missile launchers who blow up irradiated cars, etc, everywhere. In NV, there are. . Casadores, Geckos, and some watered down deathclaws. The enemy types don't seem as fearsome. NV brings alot of good things to the table, but overall FO3 is better.

Yeef

Wallach said:
I don't feel like Educated is a big deal. I would recommend Comprehension over it if you're dead set on taking one of them. They're both good, just not extraordinarily so (which makes sense given they are easy to get, low level perks).
I feel the opposite. I think it's probably the best perk in the game. An extra 50 skill points is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe it just suits my playstyle better. I generally try to be diplomatic as possible and when I do need to fight I rarely ever use VATS.

cilonen

subversus said:
holy shit at these reactions. The opposite day for sure.

But that means that no matter how hard you try you can't please anyone. People are soooo different.

Fallout 3 was a pure action-RPG for me, except for some DLC pieces. I installed the mod which increases weapon damage and range, retooles enemy AI and introduces slo-mo besides VATS. Then I played it like a stealth shooter. I used to discover new locations and kill all hostiles who lived there because I was so uninterested in lore and interactions with NPC that combat was the only thing that saved this game from being uninstalled forever. I mean there were some decent quests, locations (especially in DLC which was better than the main game)but in general... not so good.

New Vegas feels opposite for me. Every location feels unique. Everyone has personality. I can't stop roaming in Mojave because exploration is actually interesting this time and quests are brilliant.

Well, but if some people think that FO3 is better, than it is really better for some people.

As harsh as I've been on NV, I agree with you on your last point (edit: inverted, i mean - NV really is better for some people too!) - I'm glad both exist. I'm really pleased people who were really into the original Fallout lore got pretty much what Van Buren should have been with NV. I'm glad both exist, and whilst I'm looking forward to a Bethseda Fallout 4, I hope there's room for an Obsidian Fallout 4 spinoff somewhere in the future.

klee123

ElFly said:
When you get out of vault 101, the first message you get is "Enclave Radio signal found" (Threedog's radio is not encountered until a few moments later). Natural curiosity will make you tune it in, and Eden will drone on about America, while you walk around its corpse. It's a beautifully designed gameplay/narrative moment.

That's one of the reason's why I enjoyed it so much. I also really like the song selection in F3 much better for that reason too. A lot of the songs played on GNR had lyrics which were very ironic compared to what was happening in the game. Even with all of its problems, the feeling of traveling downtown DC whilst playing Easy Living or Jazzy Interlude gave a very unique sense of atmosphere which New Vegas was never able to replicate for me.

Overall, I thought it was one of the few aspects lacking in New Vegas and less thought was placed into the script and song selection of the radio stations.

ElFly

klee123 said:
That's one of the reason's why I enjoyed it so much. I also really like the song selection in F3 much better for that reason too. A lot of the song played on GNR had lyrics which were very ironic compared to what was happening in during the in game. Even with all of its problems, the feeling of traveling downtown DC whilst playing Easy Living or Jazzy Interlude gave a very unique sense of atmosphere which New Vegas was never able to replicate for me.

Overall, I thought it was one of the few aspects lacking in New Vegas and less thought was placed into the script and song selection of the radio stations.

There's also the monotonous delivery of Mr. New Vegas vs the more energetic style of Threedog. Mr. New Vegas makes me sleep, and most of the songs are like that too. For some reason Black Mountain Radio doesn't get to all of the wasteland which means I listen to it whenever I remember to tune it. Is there a quest to give it more coverage like with GNR?

Got it as a gift. Played 8 hours over the holiday. I like it better than F3. The mission structure is better , the writing and dialouge is better, I even like the weapon design better. While DC was a city and that is cool, I like wandering the desert waste better, that is a matter of opinion though. That is all.

klee123

ElFly said:
There's also the monotonous delivery of Mr. New Vegas vs the more energetic style of Threedog. Mr. New Vegas makes me sleep, and most of the songs are like that too. For some reason Black Mountain Radio doesn't get to all of the wasteland which means I listen to it whenever I remember to tune it. Is there a quest to give it more coverage like with GNR?

I don't think so, since the station will stop after you complete a certain quest.

Aaron

klee123 said:
I don't think so, since the station will stop after you complete a certain quest.
Still runs for me. Probably because I flipped all the switches on the broadcast tower, but the range of it doesn't seem any greater. Radio stations are really weak in NV, but thanks to mods that's not a problem for me. COLRAD is so good I don't mind I also played it in FO3.

Ricker

g35twinturbo said:
Does the DLC let you continue playing like BoS did?

Just finished Dead Money....if you meant,can you continue after Dead Money,if you loaded an earlier save before the ending of New Vegas,then yes but not like BoS...I went into Dead Money almost level 29 and got out at level 34....

I liked it enough,some area`s where a little frustrating because of one thing in the DLC but overall,it`s quite meaty and fun.

Deadly

I don't know how but considering I got through FO3 in like ~100hours (pre-DLC) while NV only took me ~65, FO3 wins it for me. Add to that, I've explored basically everything in NV and in FO3 I just did the quests and sidequests and didn't explore the rest of the world.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Deadly said:
I don't know how but considering I got through FO3 in like ~100hours (pre-DLC) while NV only took me ~65, FO3 wins it for me. Add to that, I've explored basically everything in NV and in FO3 I just did the quests and sidequests and didn't explore the rest of the world.
are you sure?

also was you only exploring or you did all quests and sidequests too? If you say yes, I call bullshit.

subversus

Natural said:
Just went to the NCR correctional centre and killed off all the Powder Gangers there.. Feels good man. :D

That's not the only group which'd escaped from the prison. But I guess you know it already.

krakov

subversus said:
New Vegas feels opposite for me. Every location feels unique.

Could you good sir please tell me the unique story behind deserted shack?

Also how about someones shack x 20, gas station x 20, monster cave with a corpse x 20 etc. The uniqueness of the locations totally killed my will to explore about halfway in.

BeeDog

SuperSonic1305 said:
How the hell do I get to the fort? Everyone at cottonwood is dead.

When you get to a certain point in the game, you will be pardoned by the Legion and one guy will wait for you at the docks in Cottonwood. He'll be able to take you to the Fort.

BeeDog said:
When you get to a certain point in the game, you will be pardoned by the Legion and one guy will wait for you at the docks in Cottonwood. He'll be able to take you to the Fort.

That guy is dead. He was hostile so I had no choice

Yeef

SuperSonic1305 said:
That guy is dead. He was hostile so I had no choice
Just walk to the edge of the dock. There's a raft (it looks like it's part of the dock at first glance). Look down at it and press the use key.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ElFly said:
"Have you ever seen.. a tree?"

For me Three-dog got super annoying, quick. "Good fight" blah blah. The music selection of GNR is really good though. i like NVs radio music as well but can understand a complaint like that. Its music for a different theme. Most of them are really chill and not too upbeat. Plus a good portion is country.. i normally hate country music but whats in NV fits so well.

Yeef

SuperSonic1305 said:
That was the first thing I tried and it doesn't work.
Odd. It worked for me. I then had the most epic battle in the game and ate through all of my armor piercing rounds for the all american and like a billion stimpaks taking out everyone in the camp. Shit was crazy, son.

It may be because at that point in the game
Benny
had run off to the fort hoping to use the
Platinum Chip
, so I had to go there anyway.

subversus

krakov said:
Could you good sir please tell me the unique story behind deserted shack?

Also how about someones shack x 20, gas station x 20, monster cave with a corpse x 20 etc. The uniqueness of the locations totally killed my will to explore about halfway in.

How a deserted shack feels unique? Because of these little details like a bike left near the entrance or the way furniture is placed inside. These places a)feel like somebody just left but will come soon, they're habitable b)aren't really supposed to feel unique because all shacks are more or less the same. You don't go to the big city and wonder why a lot of buildings looks um... the same.

Also you chose to ignore a lot of not lying-in-the open towns, Vaults (each one is unique with some awesome quest or loot inside, not some dungeon with faceless Garrys 003-12123). Jacobs Town, Valt 22, Vault 11, Vault 34 - there are always surprises in them. Every factory you visit has a story behind it if you choose to read terminals. And most likely there's a quest tied to them.

And I'm not even talking about Repconn site, Helios plant, and a lake with a bomber and an underwater cave.

The only interesting location from FO3 that left a lasting impression was that place with mutated human tree. That place and the quest were sick. Here pretty much everywhere you go you can find some location on the same level of scale if you actually looking and talking. And it's very easy to miss a lot of locations.

What is wonderful about Mojave is that it leaves and breathes, you can logically explain why these places are there. It doesn't feel random. There are NCR territories, Great Khans territories, Legion territories and factions are wandering nearby.

Again I'm not saying that FO3 is a bad game. It definitely had some good moments but it felt very sterile most times.

One thing I don't like about New Vegas is that there's not enough scares. Where's my Dunwich building?? FO3 felt much more tense in some locations.

Yeef

My only real complaint for New Vegas was the soundtrack. There was so little music and interesting radio chatter that I kept the radio off for the majority of the game whereas in Fallout 3 I had it on most of the time.

Natural

On the Lucky Old Sun quest and stuck.
I've got to the Helios One mainframe thing but need to repair the generator. Only thing is, I need a repair skill of 35 or need to someone to help me. I have no magazines to read that increase my repair skill, and just went back to Fantastic but couldn't trigger any other dialogue from him.

Any ideas guys?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeef said:
My only real complaint for New Vegas was the soundtrack. There was so little music and interesting radio chatter that I kept the radio off for the majority of the game whereas in Fallout 3 I had it on most of the time.
Console? i remember watching streams of NV when it first came out (well, was leaked) and the 360 version.. i swear it only played the same three songs for hours of gameplay. PC version seemed to not have this issue.

Natural said:
I've got to the Helios One mainframe thing but need to repair the generator. Only thing is, I need a repair skill of 35 or need to someone to help me. I have no magazines to read that increase my repair skill, and just went back to Fantastic but couldn't trigger any other dialogue from him.

Any ideas guys?
There is a
robot nearby that can do the work for you. You need Science skill or an employee badge thats also nearby.

hemtae

Natural said:

Any ideas guys?

I think you can use a piece of scrap metal

Deadly

subversus said:
are you sure?

also was you only exploring or you did all quests and sidequests too? If you say yes, I call bullshit.
I've been fucking around for awhile now so I'm clocked at ~80. I checked my saves and I reached the point where you have to choose which faction you side with at 60 hours, so I added an approximate five hours for those end game quests. Right now, I've got 64 quests completed and 182 locations discovered. Since the ~60 hours, I've only done the companion quests too. There's probably more sidequests out there though, I didn't say I did them all but I did a hell alot, I think.

Natural

water_wendi said:
There is a
robot nearby that can do the work for you. You need Science skill or an employee badge thats also nearby.

Yeah my science skill isn't high enough for the robot yet. I had a look around for the energy ID card, but can't find it. Any idea where abouts it is?

Wallach

water_wendi said:
Console? i remember watching streams of NV when it first came out (well, was leaked) and the 360 version.. i swear it only played the same three songs for hours of gameplay. PC version seemed to not have this issue.

The radio is the same in all versions. Radio New Vegas does have a bug where Big Iron will play twice as often, because when it goes to play Stars of the Midnight Ranges it will point to Big Iron instead. Obviously you can't fix this on console.

krakov

subversus said:
Lost of text

Yeah sure, they serve a purpose. But I think quite a few locations would have been better unmarked, as to tell you don't spend an hour here looking for nothing. As I wrote earlier I kind of gave up after being burned by a bunch of caves with some ammo or other stuff that's strewn around the wasteland like tumbleweeds. I feel the same way about many of the settlements since they are often really big with not a lot going on other than random npcs going about. Finding that one questgiver among the populace got annoying sometimes.

Also I'm not saying there aren't any good locations, just to many without any interesting loot/story/whatevs. The vaults I've been in has been some of the greatest locations and I'm glad there are more settlements than in Fallout 3. Still I feel almost every location I stumbled upon in FO3 had something of value, if only a note or some piece of unique loot that wasn't fit for my build.

I must agree the games are quite different, and as you say I think New Vegas is a bit more reasonable, while FO3 is more zany. For me it's more about finding something new and exciting rather than a house where some bum made a brahmin steak. The immersion kind of breaks for me anyway when some NCR bigshot has 24 bent tin cans laying around his bedroom where he sleeps next to one of the soldiers.

As for scares in NV, I found some of the vaults to deliver on that front.

Also, a lot of these things would have been less annoying is it wasn't for the frequent load times which in a long session could go about for over one and a half minute (360).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Natural said:
Yeah my science skill isn't high enough for the robot yet. I had a look around for the energy ID card, but can't find it. Any idea where abouts it is?
Cant confirm it myself atm but they are on the floor in the room adjacent to the Protectron stasis area.

hank_tree

Yeef said:

I don't remember there being much music in Fallout 3 either. 5 songs maybe? I think the songs are miles better in New Vegas. Also it doesn't have Three-Dog so that's another plus right there.

Wallach

hank_tree said:
I don't remember there being much music in Fallout 3 either. 5 songs maybe? I think the songs are miles better in New Vegas. Also it doesn't have Three-Dog so that's another plus right there.

FO3 has a couple more tracks than New Vegas all told. GNR had 20 tracks and I think RNV has 19 (though 6 of these are instrumentals).

Top Bottom