• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu #901 news (FFXII gets 40/40 and "shakes the pleasant")

holy shit FFXII 40/40 score just hit me in the balls but in a good way!

Persona 3 LOOKS SWEET, we need Video of this game STAT!

Shouta

Wow, the Stella Deus artist on Persona 3? Interesting. S/he keeps the style of the series going though.

Bebpo

Banned
OH MY GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PERSONA 3 LOOKS TERRRRIBLE

I had expected it to be the darkest, most disturbing, most messed up R&D1 game this gen...and it's their teeny-bobber kiddy pokemon game of the gen....WHAT!?!!?!?!?

WTF x 1000

Worst looking battle screen ever! SD heads while running around!? And WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GRAPHICS!!??!!?! Every R&D1 game this gen has had amazing visuals and art direction. The 3d graphics look like DREAMCAST LIVES and something that I dunno IDEA FACTORY would make.

Is R&D1 even making this!?!? The game looks farmed out to crapville IMO.

Matix

Bebpo said:

I had expected it to be the darkest, most disturbing, most messed up R&D1 game this gen...and it's their teeny-bobber kiddy pokemon game of the gen....WHAT!?!!?!?!?

WTF x 1000

Worst looking battle screen ever! SD heads while running around!? And WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GRAPHICS!!??!!?! Every R&D1 game this gen has had amazing visuals and art direction. The 3d graphics look like DREAMCAST LIVES and something that I dunno IDEA FACTORY would make.

Boooo, get off the stage.

NNOlympics230804_m.jpg

Shouta

Bebpo said:

WTF x 1000

Oh yeah, I forgot you never played a Persona game.

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
Oh yeah, I forgot you never played a Persona game.

I've played a few hours of IS :p But the Persona 1-2 art is disturbing on many levels. This just looks like mainstream xxx.

Plus yeah, umm who is this director and producer? I'm skimming the articles and I am wondering if this is even really R&D1. Most of the guys were busy with Devil Summoner and Persona 3 is 70% done?

Bebpo said:

That's Persona, they all deal with high school students. You're really overreacting, this is in line with the rest of the games in Persona.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That's Persona, they all deal with high school students. You're really overreacting, this is in line with the rest of the games in Persona.

I've played IS, I know they deal with high school students. But they are mysterious and creepy. I don't really have a problem with the character art...that much (it sure looks a hell of a lot worse than Kaneko's art), it's just the in-game graphics look awful. Persona 2 had an awesome visual style with some of the best graphics on PS1. This looks like Dreamcast...wtf?

Shouta

Bebpo said:
I've played a few hours of IS :p But the Persona 1-2 art is disturbing on many levels. This just looks like mainstream xxx.

Plus yeah, umm who is this director and producer? I'm skimming the articles and I am wondering if this is even really R&D1. Most of the guys were busy with Devil Summoner and Persona 3 is 70% done?

Disturbing? Sweet goodness no. Persona is by far the least disturbing of all the SMT games if you're going by the art.. It's also by far the most mainstream of all the SMT games outside of SMT Kids. The character designs are totally in line with the Persona of previous games, the only difference is that we don't have the Kaneko crackpot flair from Persona 2: EP but more in line with Persona: Revelations and Persona 2: Innocent Sin. My only gripe would be the SD but that's just a minor quibble at best and certainly better looking than the fairly dated (even for the time) IS and EP .

Bebpo said:
And WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GRAPHICS!!??!!?! Every R&D1 game this gen has had amazing visuals and art direction. The 3d graphics look like DREAMCAST LIVES and something that I dunno IDEA FACTORY would make.

Way off base. The graphics look at least as good as Radiata Stories to me, which is hardly worth complaining about.

Monk

Banned
Bebpo said:
I've played IS, I know they deal with high school students. But they are mysterious and creepy. I don't really have a problem with the character art...that much (it sure looks a hell of a lot worse than Kaneko's art), it's just the in-game graphics look awful. Persona 2 had an awesome visual style with some of the best graphics on PS1. This looks like Dreamcast...wtf?

The RPG overlord places too much emphasis on the asthetics of a game. :/

Bebpo

Banned
How anyone of you can defend graphics and art direction that look like this:

persona.jpg

When coming from graphics and art that looks like this:

03.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-digital-devil-saga-20050406024841649.jpg

devil-summoner-kuzunoha-raidou-20050711000143140.jpg

Is beyond me...but whatever.

Bebpo said:

I just disagree. To me it looks like they were trying to figure out how they could keep Persona's look even though they had to move it into full 3D. They couldn't do that with SMT3/DS2's engine. So they got this one and I think it does a good job at keeping the series look

persona5rl.jpg

persona2is34lx.jpg

Red Scarlet

Bebpo said:

WTF x 1000

explode.gif

whoamg Bebpo. o_O
Take a deep breath. It may play really cool...or does that not matter?
The characters still look creepy anyway.

Who wants to bet this gets heavily censored when/if it reaches western shores?

Considering the main character seems slightly suicidal.

p3gunz7jc.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I just disagree. To me it looks like they were trying to figure out how they could keep Persona's look even though they had to move it into full 3D. They couldn't do that with SMT3/DS2's engine. So they got this one and I think it does a good job at keeping the series look

persona5rl.jpg

persona2is34lx.jpg

See that bottom pic looks better than the top pic. More characters, more details, better character art. A full generation later how did they manage to make it look worse?

Heck, looking closely at it, the cabinet in the PS1 game seems more detailed than the podium in the PS2 game....WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?!

Monk said:
The RPG overlord places too much emphasis on the asthetics of a game. :/

Yes, I'd say asthetics attribute to about 30-50% of the enjoyment I get out of rpgs. Those that are ugly, have bad art, bad loading, sloppy controls, ugly menus and stuff are terrible games to me even if they have the best stories and gameplay in the world. I don't have a billion hours to play games, I have to pick and choose my rpgs and I want ones that give me great asthetics, good stories, and a great gameplay all in one package.

If I didn't care about asthetics I'd actually be willing to touch a pokemon game since the gameplay isn't all that different I guess from the SMT I know and love. But I do care, and so I never will.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
FUCK YES! FFXII got 40/40. Hopefully this will shut up any FF haters who think tyha6t FF games are shit!

Does anyone know the famitsu scores opf the previous FF games?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well persona wasn't that stellar looking on psx either, but still it was a fresh take on the whole RPG thing, especially the setting!

About FFXII getting 40/40, that didn't really come as a suprise. Matsuno's last 2 games now scored a perfect score in Famitsu. But I think it's a pretty worthless to ponder much on this review of them, because Famitsu's bias towards anything SE is well known.

Yoboman

psycho_snake said:
FUCK YES! FFXII got 40/40. Hopefully this will shut up any FF haters who think tyha6t FF games are shit!

Does anyone know the famitsu scores opf the previous FF games?
FFX was 38/40
FFX-2 34/40
FFCC 31/40
FFXI 36/40

My memory could be slightly off though

Yoboman

RamzaIsCool said:
Well persona wasn't that stellar looking on psx either, but still it was a fresh take on the whole RPG thing, especially the setting!

About FFXII getting 40/40, that didn't really come as a suprise. Matsuno's last 2 games now scored a perfect score in Famitsu. But I think it's a pretty worthless to ponder much on this review of them, because Famitsu's bias towards anything SE is well known.
FFVII DoC says "Not rly ;("

Red Scarlet

RamzaIsCool said:

Do you want a cleaner version of your avatar similar in looks to these?:
fftfa.png

fftfm.png

psycho_snake

Yoboman said:
FFX was 38/40
FFX-2 34/40
FFCC 31/40
FFXI 36/40

My memory could be slightly off though
Cheers mate. Im not surprised that FFX had such a high score because it was one of the best FF games to date. Its my favourite FF after FFVII

Does anyone happen to knwo the scores of the PS1 FF games?

Bebpo said:
See that bottom pic looks better than the top pic. More characters, more details, better character art. A full generation later how did they manage to make it look worse?

Heck, looking closely at it, the cabinet in the PS1 game seems more detailed than the podium in the PS2 game....WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?!

It was just an example of how the game still looks 2D even though its now moved into full 3D. Is it as technically impressive as their other PS2 games, no probably not. But I like this look better. It looks more unique wihch is the big appeal of the series look.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, so it looks like Katsura Hashino who is producing and directing Persona 3 also directed Digital Devil Saga, Maken X, and wrote the first two Persona games. That is definitely relieving as now I know for sure that the game isn't being made in Korea.

Hopefully it plays as well as his other titles to make up for the lack of visual appeal.

psycho_snake

MadFuzzy said:
FFVII: 39/40
FFVIII: 38/40
FFIX: 38/40
I guess there is a lot of bias towards SE. I was tempted not to agree with that because I am a huge FF fan, they are the only RPG's that I have really enjoyed. FFVII deserves the score because it was truly outstanding but FFVII and FFIX shouldnt be that high. Id give both of those game between 34 and 37.

MadFuzzy

psycho_snake said:
I guess there is a lot of bias towards SE.

Towards FF (and DQ) yes, but until Vagrant Story no Square game had ever scored full-marks. There was a feature in Famitsu a few years ago that listed every single Square review score in Famitsu history (including those that predate the current "cross-review" system where it was a single score out of 10) and FFs have always been marked highly, for example:

Famicom/NES
FF: 8.25
FFII: 8.25
FFIII: 9

Super Famicom/SNES:
FFIV: 9 (although Easytype got 7.75 when it was released)
FFV: 8.5
FFVI: 9.25

Suddenly I feel like Statto off Fantasy Football...

"SD" stands for "Stupid Decision"!

How can I hope to take a Persona game seriously, when it looks so childish? Where is the incredible dark tone I know and love? Replaced by "the kiddie"! This is not the Persona I want to play, not after the fantastic SMTIII and DDS1+2. I weep. I weep!

SantaC

I am really pumped for FFXII, but 40/40 with that battle system? I guess the final game is really something else then.

Hopefully it's out in the NA around september.

PS3 with FFXII launch?

lancubap

AniHawk said:
Ocarina of Time
Vagrant Story
Soul Calibur
The Wind Waker
Nintendogs
Final Fantasy XII

Am I missing any?

NO. Square-Enix, you are one enterpreise that makes games as good as Nintendo !!!
Congratulations !

Ceb

psycho_snake said:
I guess there is a lot of bias towards SE. I was tempted not to agree with that because I am a huge FF fan, they are the only RPG's that I have really enjoyed. FFVII deserves the score because it was truly outstanding but FFVII and FFIX shouldnt be that high. Id give both of those game between 34 and 37.

So you'd give them between 9/9/8/8 or 10/9/9/9? :lol Do you know those Famitsu reviews are the totals of four separate scores?

Ponn

Banned
Vaandaviii said:
http://www.vaan.is.dreaming.org/ffxiireservado.jpg[/QUOTE]

You're missing a spot for Kingdom Hearts 2.

Holy shit, 40/40. I had doubts about the characters and battle system but the Demo really cleared that up for me so it's nice to know the rest of the game is pretty on par. I mean come on, it got a perfect score right up there with Nintendogs right?

I declare 2006 year of the Square-Enix!! Bow to your masters and love it!

ElyrionX

I don't get what everyone is ejaculating for. Jesus fucking Christ, these are the same people who gave Nintendogs 40/40.

RaijinFY

ElyrionX said:
I don't get what everyone is ejaculating for. Jesus fucking Christ, these are the same people who gave Nintendogs 40/40.

The same people who gave a 40/40 for Vagrant Story, Soul Calibur, Wind Waker... :p

Even if it's still Famitsu, it's worth! :p

Nice to see such a "perfect" score, maybe the wait will be totally worth it after all. The strange thing about FFXII finally getting released is I feel like it isn't 2006 now. It's like I'm going back in time and experiencing what was supposed to happen in 2004.

I don't get what everyone is ejaculating for.
I don't think that would be possible for some people.

I still want my Threads of Fate 2.
Laugh if you want, but Mint and her pumpkin hate was Cuteness x 1,000.

Top Bottom