• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu #901 news (FFXII gets 40/40 and "shakes the pleasant")

Sorry, Sephiroth is still the easiest boss ever.

Yes, you cannot die against Yu Yevon, but it takes a good amount of turns to defeat him. I mean, I have nearly 600 hours on my FFX file, all my characters are completely maxed out (except for MP, this includes Yuna's Aeons and my blitzball TEAM). You simply can't "quick" kill him.

It alsos takes a few turns to defeat Edea/Ultimacia (whatever, I forget the exact name) in FFVIII.

Sephiroth doesn't even require a full turn of three characters to die.

And this isn't at "Wow, I have all my materia fully maxed out and I'm level 99" stage of uberness... more like level 60 my materia is half maxed out.

The fight is further disappointing because they manage to portray him as such a badass in the game itself.

Oh, but great final battle music.

Himuro said:
If Yu Yevon's considered the final boss of FFX then Sephiroth/Cloud duel in Cloud's head counts as FFVII's final boss. It's a story based fight and it's impossible to win. Anyone with brains realizes Jecht's the final boss in FFX, not Yu Yevon.

Ultimecia was hard or as easy as you made her out to be. If you had a level 99 Squall she was hard as shit.

Level cap was actually 100 in FFVIII, which I went to on all my playthroughs simply because I'm a level whore.

I wouldn't say she is hard as shit at that level, but she CAN kill you, unlike most final bosses. The final boss in FFIX is by far the most difficult of any of the playstation era bosses. Even with all characters in "god" mode (max levels, auto-regen/haste/theworks) he can still wipe you out if you don't pay attention and hit him hard and fast. As can Ozma... with a bit less difficulty.

Three turns? I kill him in a single 4X slash from Squall + a single other character looking at him... Safer... 2 characters with 4x slash and the last character looking at him. I'm not kidding. You have to realize, though, as hinted at by my 600 hour FFX save file... I max out... seriously. The thing is... Sephiroth doesn't even really require that to become your total subservient bitch. I could just Knights of the Round him but it takes longer than simply using 4X slash.

jett

D-Member
Himuro said:
3 turns for Sephiroth is pushing it. Bizaro Sephiroth, sure. But not Safer.

Sephiroth's HP varies depending on Cloud's level. If his level is high enough Seph can end up with 150k HP or so. I dunno but without omnislash or KOTR I think it'd take you more than 3 turns.

Borys

Banned
Ultimecia battle (normal + Griever + pure) is really easy when you use Aura but !!! it drags :(

You can't defeat Ultimecia in 2-3 turns even when doing 999 999 999 damage simply because she has to say five or six sentences before she dies and she says one sentence each turn :|

WTF

Really stupid - I took all her HP in first two rounds with Lionhearts and then I just (normal) attacked with Zell for 178 damage for 5 turns :|

And I didn't even have to - I could simply wait those 5 turns...

jett said:
Two FF games two years in a row? Hard to believe...
VIII, IX, and X were in consecutive years. But yeah, certainly a change of pace after _5_ years between non-MMO non-spinoff non-remake games.

Red Scarlet

Himuro said:
You couldn't die anyways because the battle had auto life on you the whole time. It's impossible to die as it's a story based battle.

Equip your party with weapons that have 'Stonestrike' or 'Stonetouch' on them, and hit yourself. You can can get a game over on Yu Yevon. :)

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Yes, you cannot die against Yu Yevon, but it takes a good amount of turns to defeat him. I mean, I have nearly 600 hours on my FFX file, all my characters are completely maxed out (except for MP, this includes Yuna's Aeons and my blitzball TEAM). You simply can't "quick" kill him.
Wait, what? I didn't even level up very much, and I took Yu Yevon down to about 2% health with my first attack. I finished him off with the second attack.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, another perfect on Famitsu. Good job, Square. Now just add Zelda: TP to the list, and we're set for this year. :D

bloke

P3 looks more like remake of last Persona game I played (with new characters) than proper sequel.

And FFXII got 90/90/95/90 in Dengeki Playstation.

Johnas

:lol This thread is all over the place.

Such great news about FFXII. I was replaying the demo last night, and can't wait for the final product.

FFXIII on PS2 is quite possibly the weirdest thing I've read here in a month, but there is a good argument for it, if it's been in development that long. Hopefully it'll be next-gen though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
perfect score for FFXII, then again Nintendogs got the same score I'm not putting down this game in any way of form but a perfect score from Famitsu doesn't really mean anything. With that said....

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:
perfect score for FFXII, then again Nintendogs got the same score I'm not putting down this game in any way of form but a perfect score from Famitsu doesn't really mean anything. With that said....

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Of course, scores from Famitsu don't mean anything. Games from Matsuno, however, mean everything! FFXII confirmed best FF ever.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Trema in FFX-2 was hard, even when you knew how to beat him.

For the first two fights... I agree with this. In fact, beating him for the first time was a very frustrating experience, but I didn't yet have the Mascot class, which I don't even think you can get on the first playthrough (can't remember).

Once you have a few Iron Dukes he is a cinch.... as long as you cheese him out with the Mascot class.

bloke said:
P3 looks more like remake of last Persona game I played (with new characters) than proper sequel.

And FFXII got 90/90/95/90 in Dengeki Playstation.

Yeah, with three of the four reviewers in the middle of the game :lol

callous

Bebpo said:
Yeah, the month the rpgs stop coming out (which currently looks like July as the final ones have all been announced for early July), is gonna be around the time PS3 launches. If you start seeing PS2 rpg announcements for October...PS3 is gone.
PSU could be October. I wouldn't count that against a PS3 release though.

Majmun

Vaandaviii said:
Yeah, with three of the four reviewers in the middle of the game :lol

Geez, what's the point of giving the game a score then? 3 out of the 4 review scores are not quite legit then, imo.

Simo

Translation of the cross review for FFXII:
First reviewer:
"As always a grand story and the ever slightly changing battle system pulls you in more and more. The large maps that you battle in especially can make you lose track of time because of its appeal. It's amazing that a single player game can make you feel like you're playing with team mates!"

Second reviewer:
"It may feel awkward at first for FFX players since the battle system takes ques from the FFXI battle system, but the Gambit system will make getting used to the system a smooth transition. The freedom that can be achieved is great, even if the gamer's skills are limited. The story is great as usual and the acting is impressive."

Third reviewer:
"A very generous game in how it's built. The story is rock solid but offers a great sense of freedom. The battles are a joy to play once you're used to the transitionless nature. There are times when you may just die instantly, so caution is to be taken at all times. This nervousness also makes the game a lot more exciting and fun."

Fourth reviewer:
"Visuals that take your breath away, a complicating lking yet easy to play system, a balanced experience that fits all playing styles -- there are no faults in this game. You'll somehow get really into the game at one point and won't be able to stop. Even compared to the classic FFs, this can be ranked right alongside of them."

Translation courtesy of palf91 at GameFaqs.

Bebpo

Banned
Second said:
Geez, what's the point of giving the game a score then? 3 out of the 4 review scores are not quite legit then, imo.

Because everyone gets paid enough for a review to justify finishing a 100 hour game before reviewing it!

There are times when you may just die instantly, so caution is to be taken at all times.

I hope this is true :lol

I can't wait to hear all the whining from people who try to run from a battle then get stuck with five different mob groups on them.

Amir0x

Banned
I wonder if it's "die instantly" because many enemies have cheap DEATH casting movies, or if it's "die instantly" because most enemies have super strong abilities that if you're not careful can do you in.

I hope it's not the cheap way! 'Cause I love me a genuine challenge.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the "die instantly" part is about the game being open ended, you are not bound by boundaries so you can walk into places where the monsters are way above your capacity.

Second said:
So this game is non-linear? Thank God.

No new info about the worldmap? No controllable airships?

Airships are point and click, I believe, but you can run everywhere on foot. Which you could actually more or less do in X, but I think it is a bit different this go around (not to mention MUCH more to run around in).

No, I think there will be missions, just not in the same sense as in X-2.

It will be more akin to taking jobs at the pub in the Tactics games.

Actually, I'm completely talking out of my ass at this point.

Perhaps "missions" will be required to advance certain plot details, but it seems you're free to run around without advancing the plot?

...something like that... yea. Or maybe it was just the demo, though in some of the vids floating around you at least see a "congratulations" screen after defeating a boss.

are you stupid? Of course there won't be any missions! It's a RPG, being seamless is very important!

Missions was only for demo purposes (E3 and the DQ8 demo)

Snaku

Banned
RamzaIsCool said:
I think the "die instantly" part is about the game being open ended, you are not bound by boundaries so you can walk into places where the monsters are way above your capacity.

God I hope so. :D

birdchili

famitsu reviewer number three said:
There are times when you may just die instantly, so caution is to be taken at all times. This nervousness also makes the game a lot more exciting and fun."

It sounds like this isn't talking about cheap deaths at all... but rather about having to be careful to manage combat. Based on the demo (which negated any real danger by making your party ultra-powerful), you could easily get swamped by engaging too many enemies at once.

Being a bit edgy, especially when exploring new areas is grand news in my books.

Bring on Monday's gameplay impressions!

Also... if anyone has info on Matsuno's health/career plans I'd be curious. It'd be a tragedy if something has removed him from the craft for good.

ghibli99

I was pretty meh about the demo, but it's surprising how seeing a 40/40 can suddenly spark my interest in a title again. No, I'm not going to blindly jump on the bandwagon and proclaim this to be the greatest FF of our time until I play it... I'm still worried about how much I'll enjoy this, but if the translated review text is to be believed, I think we're in for something good... really good.

I know the merits of Famitsu have been argued to death, but I think we're going to see lots of high scores across the board, regardless of the source. We'll see what GAF thinks when it finally hits retail in Japan. :)

Top Bottom