• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu and Media Create Sales: 12/22 - 12/28

Spiegel said:
Sinobi updated the blog

Dissidia - 97k (757k LTD) Crisis Core LTD is 797k
Kirby Ds, Rythm Tengoku Ds and Animal Crossing Wii > 90k

If the numbers for Wii Fit Captain Smoker put up hold true, this would imply that WKC is in the 72k-90k range, for an LTD around 275-295k. So final total will probably be in the 300-350k area unless the online takes off with the audience, up there with Level5's other own IP console RPGs. About what could have reasonably be expected.

PuppetMaster said:
Holy shit at MHP2G reentering the top 10. It's 2009 for christ's sakes!

Should we expect a MHP3 announcement soon?

Die Squirrel Die said:
If the numbers for Wii Fit Captain Smoker put up, this would imply that WKC is in the 72k-90k range, for an LTD around 275-295k. So final total will probably be in the 300-350k area unless the online takes off with the audience, up there with Level5's other own IP console RPGs. About what could have reasonably be expected.

Sony should do a WKC Portable, more PSP support and it'd probably sell better on the PSP anyways.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
If MHG Wii meets their expectations, I agree

If MHG Wii doesn't meet their expectations this will be RE4 GC-PS2 all over again

If Capcom is going to make that decision based off of sales of a years old port with absolutely zero new content then they are a pretty stupid company.

(I have no doubt MHP3 is coming BTW)

Dascu

schuelma said:
If Capcom is going to make that decision based off of sales of a years old port with absolutely zero new content then they are a pretty stupid company.
Yes, they'll wait for MH2Wii's sales. :/

Kifimbo

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 2008 failing to end the year explosively, it does fall behind GCN 2003 by about 45K, narrowly missing 1 million.
2007-12-31

Wow...PS3 had a a 200,000+ lead at some point.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Weisheit said:
That doesn't seem at all likely...
It doesn't? I thought old ports were one of the main indicators of sales for third parties in regards to the Wii.

Spiegel

schuelma said:

(I have no doubt MHP3 is coming BTW)

Capcom has a 2+ million seller guarantee with the hypotetical MHP3. They don't want to ruin that, so I'm pretty sure MHG Wii is equally a test and cash-in.

Capcom loves testing the Wii

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Link said:
It doesn't? I thought old ports were one of the main indicators of sales for third parties in regards to the Wii.
If it was Capcom would've announced a new real Resident Evil game for Wii by now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
jj984jj said:
If it was Capcom would've announced a new real Resident Evil game for Wii by now.
Nope, they still have to release ports of 2, 3, and Code Veronica before they can be sure.

Weisheit

Link said:
I thought old ports were one of the main indicators of sales for third parties in regards to the Wii.
And that has what to do with MHP? It's going to be a huge success irregardless of MH3/MHG performance. I'm not seeing
how the sales of a year old port ties into the announcement of the next portable game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kifimbo said:
Wow...PS3 had a a 200,000+ lead at some point.
Indeed, it was quite early in the PS3 life from what i can see. Here is a graph (from Garaph.info, thanks! :)) for the 15 first week after the Gamecube and the PS3 was launched that shows that the PS3 had about 200k lead on the Gamecube:

fam

Here is a graph (also thanks to Garaph.info! :)) that show the 110 weeks (that many weeks garaph.info has data for the PS3 hardware) since launch for the Gamecube and the PS3:

fam

After around week 15 or so, the Gamecube had a LTD lead over the PS3 for about 1 year. After that, the Gamecube and the PS3 has been going alittle "up and down" (or what i shall say) over eachother :)

(Both graphs shows numbers from Famitsu which i found on Garaph.info :))

The Gamecube had reatively strong sales in the last 3 week of December in it's 3rd year:

2003-12-15 = 128,502
2003-12-22 = 136,600
2003-12-29 = 136,601

(Famitsu numbers which i found on Garaph.info)

I dont remember the exact numbers for the PS3 hardware sales this December, but i think that the PS3 sold something around 35-40k each week in the last 3 weeks of last year's December. The Gamecube sold something around 4 times as much as the PS3 did if you compare these 3 weeks. I guess that is one of the reasons why PS3 didnt manage to outsell the Gamecube if you compare the timelines. I think it should be interesting to see how 2009 will look when it comes to the hardware sales :)

matmanx1

Should put WKC up near 300k then. Very nice! Hopefully Level 5 will continue to support and upgrade the online component.

And I want MH for the Wii ASAP. Heck, any MH I can play over the internet cooperatively instead of having to do local LAN or whatever would be peaches with me.

donny2112

AranhaHunter said:
Should we expect a MHP3 announcement soon?

PS2 Monster Hunter - Mar-04
PS2 Monster Hunter G - Jan-05 (10 months)
PSP Monster Hunter Portable - Dec-05 (11 months) (port of Monster Hunter G, to my understanding)
PS2 Monster Hunter 2 - Feb-06 (3 months since last game, 14 months since last new game)
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 - Feb-07 (12 months) (port of Monster Hunter 2, to my understanding)

From there we see that the port of the console version to the PSP is 11-12 months after the console version's release.

PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G - Mar-08 (13 months, 25 months since last new game, first "new" MH game on portable, to my understanding)

I think it's fair to think that Monster Hunter G Wii will come out 12-13 months after MHP2G, which makes Monster Hunter 3 likely to come at the very end of this year or, more likely, early next year based on the time between releases. Also, Capcom may shorten the time between MH3 and MHP3, but I don't believe they'll be bringing out the portable version before the console version. MHP2G is the only time they've done that so far.

Kandinsky

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Not sure why this hasn't been posted, considering it's been up on famitsu for quite a bit a time but here we go!(anybody have exact numbers yet?) Looks like Dissidia does indeed have legs.

12.29 - 1.4

01.. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix)
02. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo)
03 [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo)
04 [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
05. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo)
06. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCEI)
7. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
8. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
9. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.)
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
PS0 NOOOOOO!!! D:

Vinnk

Spiegel said:
Yeah, I was expecting the top 4 at > 120k at least after last week numbers.

Dissidia may not sell a million after all :/

I think it will. It is still getting heavy advertisement. I saw a great add for it while eating breakfast this morning showing group of friends playing local wi-fi. One of the better PSP ads I have seen. Square must belive this will be a game with legs or they would not still be pushing it so hard. CC:FFVII ads dried up shortly after the release.

I have seen a few used copies already, so the growth isn't infinite but I think this one will push past the million mark. Just not sure when.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
matmanx1 said:
Should put WKC up near 300k then. Very nice! Hopefully Level 5 will continue to support and upgrade the online component.

And I want MH for the Wii ASAP. Heck, any MH I can play over the internet cooperatively instead of having to do local LAN or whatever would be peaches with me.

WKC is doing better than I expected. I thought it would drop off the top 10 for week 2.

Die Squirrel Die said:
If the numbers for Wii Fit Captain Smoker put up hold true, this would imply that WKC is in the 72k-90k range, for an LTD around 275-295k. So final total will probably be in the 300-350k area unless the online takes off with the audience, up there with Level5's other own IP console RPGs. About what could have reasonably be expected.
You're probably low-balling it a little. Here's Rogue Galaxy:

Week 1: 213,289
Week 2: 51,788
Week 3: 34,233
Lifetime: 356,192

Given that the first week of WKC was pretty much identical, that its second week is at least 40% higher and maybe as much as 75% higher is a definite sign of better legs. Of course, RPGs are front-loaded, so it will tail off rapidly at some point. But it does seem to have pushed that event back just a little further than usual. (I myself predicted ~60k for this week in another thread.)

In any case, WKC will almost certainly be in the top five PS3 games for Japan by week three, and could eventually climb as high as number two (though probably not, since 2009's big games will likely beat it to the punch).

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
Given that the first week of WKC was pretty much identical, that its second week is at least 40% higher and maybe as much as 75% higher is a definite sign of better legs.

It probably has a lot more to do with it being launched in the top two software weeks of a typical year than with WKC's innate "legs."

donny2112 said:
It probably has a lot more to do with it being launched in the top two software weeks of a typical year than with WKC's innate "legs."
Rogue Galaxy's week 3 and 4 were during the ~same calendar weeks, and it didn't help them avoid the usual large percentage falls. I agree the effect is there, but I don't believe it can account for such a huge gap in performance (50-60% greater?). If we go that route, I could retort that PS3 has a much smaller user base than PS2. To which you could emphasize, say, the dearth of RPGs on the system, leading to "artificially" inflated demand for the genre, no matter the game. Et cetera.

It may be fun, and a meaningful discussion, but I don't think we can ever fully decompose the vectors summing into a game's sales. At some point you have to acknowledge that the game itself is that summation, and is the reason for the numbers. Consumers will spend more money during holidays, sure--but they don't spend it at random. They choose to buy WKC in the exact same way they choose to buy Wii Fit (though in much smaller numbers over time). That doesn't mean Wii Fit's sales this week are "really" 35k because we're not accounting for the holidays.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Liabe Brave said:
Rogue Galaxy's week 3 and 4 were during the ~same calendar weeks, and it didn't help them avoid the usual large percentage falls. I agree the effect is there, but I don't believe it can account for such a huge gap in performance (50-60% greater?). If we go that route, I could retort that PS3 has a much smaller user base than PS2. To which you could emphasize, say, the dearth of RPGs on the system, leading to "artificially" inflated demand for the genre, no matter the game. Et cetera.

It may be fun, and a meaningful discussion, but I don't think we can ever fully decompose the vectors summing into a game's sales. At some point you have to acknowledge that the game itself is that summation, and is the reason for the numbers. Consumers will spend more money during holidays, sure--but they don't spend it at random. They choose to buy WKC in the exact same way they choose to buy Wii Fit (though in much smaller numbers over time). That doesn't mean Wii Fit's sales this week are "really" 35k because we're not accounting for the holidays.

The PS3 is also starved for RPGs unlike the PS2. Thats also important. It doesnt exactly have much competition

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
Rogue Galaxy's week 3 and 4 were during the ~same calendar weeks, and it didn't help them avoid the usual large percentage falls. I agree the effect is there, but I don't believe it can account for such a huge gap in performance (50-60% greater?).

I'm not saying that WKC = RG launched two weeks later. I'm saying that its "legs" at two weeks have a lot more to do with the two weeks that it launched in than WKC's innate ability to sustain sales. Nothing personal against the game, and I agree that it'll probably surpass Rogue Galaxy making it at least the fourth best-selling PS3 game in Japan.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm really excited about this week's charts, so here's something to whet the appetite:

There'll be thumbnails of these in the thread launching tonight.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
Oooh...

mctotals.gif

So basically everything was down year-on-year, except PSP and 360.
The winds they are a-changin'?

Massive drop for DS, though. Not surprised Nintendo brought out the DSi when I see this.

I thought the 360 increase would be bigger honestly. Thought it had improved more.

Pretty terrible for the PS3. Next year should be better assuming FF13 releases, but still.

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
I thought the 360 increase would be bigger honestly. Thought it had improved more.
It has improved a great deal since Aug/Sep, but before then it had a really shitty run. It is now consistently outselling PS2, and at this rate, 2009 figures should beat 2008 figures considerably. Once it overcomes the 1M hurdle, there may be a fair few sighs let out, that's for sure.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
It has improved a great deal since Aug/Sep, but before then it had a really shitty run. It is now consistently outselling PS2, and at this rate, 2009 figures should beat 2008 figures considerably. Once it overcomes the 1M hurdle, there may be a fair few sighs let out, that's for sure.

Noted. With all the excitement starting in August I forgot the hole it was in.

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 12/29 - 01/04

01. [PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 97,000 / 757,000
02. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) - 92,000 / 948,000
03. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) - 91,000 / 1,442,000
04. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 91,000 / 986,000
05. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode (Nintendo) - 76,000 / 626,000
06. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) - 73,000 / 276,000
07. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 73,000 / 2,076,000
08. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 72,000 / 3,039,000
09. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) - 65,000 / 2,253,000
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 61,000 / 260,000

11. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec III (SCE) - 60,000 / 284,000
12. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 58,000 / 3,365,000
13. [NDS] Phantasy Star Zero (Sega) - 55,000 / 140,000
14. [WII] Wii de Asobu: Pikmin (Nintendo) - 53,000 / 101,000
15. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson) - 50,000 / 165,000
16. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu: 20th Anniversary (Hudson) - 47,000 / 169,000
17. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 43,000 / 671,000
18. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) - 37,000 / 288,000
19. [PS3] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 35,000 / 241,000
21. [NDS] Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco) - 31,000 / 475,000
22. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) - 30,000 / 354,000
23. [PS2] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 30,000 / 162,000
24. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 29,000 / 4,881,000
25. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 28,000 / 3,345,000
26. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) - 26,000 / 324,000
27. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 26,000 / 5,398,000
28. [NDS] Tales of Hearts: Anime Movie & CG Movie (Bandai Namco) - 25,000 / 202,000
29. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 25,000 / 2,618,000
30. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) - 22,000 / 177,000

__. [NDS] Minna de Jibun no Setsumeisho: B-Kata, A-Kata, AB-Kata, O-Kata (GungHo Works) - 12,000 / NEW

DSL 58000
DSi 201000
PSP 169000
Wii 141000
PS3 68000
PS2 19000
360 19000

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1231020902/969
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1231020902/970

TOP30(NO No.20)
NDS:13
Wii:9
PS3:4
PSP:2
PS2:1

schuelma

YAY Famitsu :D :D :D

Nice bump for PS3 hardware compared to the last few weeks.

Edit- Nevermind. Not that impressive :(

Busaiku

PS0's got legs!
Great to see that.

We can't see the totals since the CG version isn't charting, but ToH has to be pretty close to 250K right? Certainly an improvement over Innocence..
That is the total.

schuelma

Just a friendly note of caution..IIRC sales drip drastically this next week when the holiday season ends.

Top Bottom