• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu and Media Create Sales: 12/22 - 12/28

Jonnyram

jeremy1456 said:
Taiko Drum Master and Karaoke Joysound are doing quite well.
Taiko would be doing much better were it not sold out everywhere. It's like the first PS2 release all over again. It should have good legs.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:
Taiko would be doing much better were it not sold out everywhere. It's like the first PS2 release all over again. It should have good legs.

I was just going to ask if it was supply constrained.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wonder if Taiko can topple DQ:S as the #1 Wii 3rd party game. If it has legs even remotely comparable to prior releases then it could do it.

donny2112

markatisu said:
wonder if 500k before it disappears is a possibility

Yes.

bttb said:
18. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco) - 37,000 / 288,000
19. [PS3] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 35,000 / 241,000
21. [NDS] Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco) - 31,000 / 475,000
22. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) - 30,000 / 354,000
23. [PS2] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 30,000 / 162,000

With #20 likely being Tamagotchi, that's 5/6 for Namco Bandai.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Unless I missed something, neither gpara nor inside-games.jp have updated yet. Just letting you know I haven't forgotten!

So need to hire an advertising company to push LBP in Japan. Not being able to sell 5000 copies per week for such an incredible title is terrible.

legend166

Jonnyram said:
Oooh...

mctotals.gif

So basically everything was down year-on-year, except PSP and 360.
The winds they are a-changin'?

Massive drop for DS, though. Not surprised Nintendo brought out the DSi when I see this.

uh, I don't think those % are right, are they?

VerTiGo

Banned
Ohhhhhh shit!!!!

LOOK AT PIKMIN GO!

04. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 91,000 / 986,000

07. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 73,000 / 2,076,000
08. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 72,000 / 3,039,000

12. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 58,000 / 3,365,000
14. [WII] Wii de Asobu: Pikmin (Nintendo) - 53,000 / 101,000
15. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson) - 50,000 / 165,000

29. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 25,000 / 2,618,000

Wii Music can't be stopped either. Oh this is too funny sometimes.

donny2112

legend166 said:
uh, I don't think those % are right, are they?

No. The DS one should be -45%, and the PSP +20%, for example.

VerTiGo said:
LOOK AT PIKMIN GO!

$30. :D

Jonnyram said:
Taiko would be doing much better were it not sold out everywhere. It's like the first PS2 release all over again.

That one released at the end of October, but the Wii version has almost caught by the end of its first New Year's season.

PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatakon de Dodon ga Don @ 1st week of 2003 (~2 months after release) - 310K (743K LTD)
WII Taiko Drum Master Wii @ 1st week of 2009 (~1 month after release) - 288K

The PS2 game was selling 20K a week as late as April 2003. It'd be awesome if sales picked up enough on the Wii for the Wii game to still be selling 20K in April. :D

Vinnk

Jonnyram said:

This. I haven't seen a copy in stores for a while. Then again small towns get restocks slowly.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Not sure how much later I can stay up. It's an hour and a half late. I'll give it another 30 minutes.

And advertising wouldn't have helped LBP in Japan.

Olaeh

Nice for Pikmin. I wonder how far this one can go.

donny2112 said:
PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatakon de Dodon ga Don @ 1st week of 2003 (~2 months after release) - 310K (743K LTD)
WII Taiko Drum Master Wii @ 1st week of 2009 (~1 month after release) - 288K

Wow. Thanks for this information =) I suspect another Taiko Wii game has already been green lit.

freddy

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Not sure how much later I can stay up. It's an hour and a half late. I'll give it another 30 minutes.

And advertising wouldn't have helped LBP in Japan.
Maybe Donny or someone else can do the thread for you? :O)

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
WKC sales have greatly impressed me. Well done Level 5. :D :D :D
Easily impressed huh? The second week's sales are disappointing, frankly, considering the season. But I think this may have also suffered from lack of availability in some stores.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Easily impressed huh? The second week's sales are disappointing, frankly, considering the season. But I think this may have also suffered from lack of availability in some stores.
Not as easily impressed as some of others have been everytime a 360 JRPG sells 100k and falls off a cliff the following week but to each their own I guess...

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
Not as easily impressed as some of others have been everytime a 360 JRPG sells 100k and falls off a cliff the following week but to each their own I guess...
2.6M versus 800k. Yeah you have a point :lol

Jammy

Banned
Congrats to those games that keep on truckin', not just the obvious ones like Rhythm Heaven and Mario Kart Wii, but ones like Taiko Drum Master and Wii de Asobu: Pikmin. It's good to see those latter games getting sales.

Was there a decent push for the Wii de Asobu games in Japan? Because I can see Pikmin doing 200,000, which is really good for essentially a re-release. I wonder how Mario Power Tennis will do.

Lightning

Banned
Shadow780 said:
It sold more, that's his point I think.
More sales = more money which equals more people enjoying the game. That's all that matters. Quoting userbase differences is futile.

If WKC can finish around 400k when all is said and done that will be a great result.

Taiko continues to impress. On the verge of 300,000 and should easily hit 400,000. Kirby is also doing amazingly.

Solid second week for WKC, considering the genre and small userbase.

Kandinsky said:
So sad for this, hopefully it shows some legs D:

55,000 after an 84,000 first week is a pretty good drop, especially for an RPG.

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
More sales = more money which equals more people enjoying the game. That's all that matters.
So sales and money mean people are enjoying the game now? I like the logic on display here.

swerve

It's amazing what's happened with Rhythm Tengoku Gold. It's going to end up at over 10x the GBA original's sales.

Also: Girl's Mode is pretty amazing. Word of mouth and DLC > advertising.

Happy to see Joysound trucking along (though hoping the interface is slicker on the WiiWare client when it comes out).

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
So sales and money mean people are enjoying the game now? I like the logic on display here.
I would like to think that strong sales represents that majority are enjoying the title, yes, as generally crappy games receive bad word of mouth, bad publicity and ultimately bad sales.

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
I would like to think that strong sales represents that majority are enjoying the title, yes, as generally crappy games receive bad word of mouth, bad publicity and ultimately bad sales.
It's been on sale for a little over a week for these charts and you are talking about word of mouth. Strong sales at this stage represent strong marketing and very little else. If you want to see how much people are enjoying it, look here: http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=400 :lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
Shadow780 said:
It sold more, that's his point I think.
And the larger userbase does not help in any way? It's certainly on par for a successful PS3 game, but hardly the inspiring example for future JRPG developers.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
It's been on sale for a little over a week for these charts and you are talking about word of mouth. Strong sales at this stage represent strong marketing and very little else. If you want to see how much people are enjoying it, look here: http://www.psmk2.net/title.php?title=400 :lol
I can't read a word of Japanese, what does it say?

When I read the official thread it seemed mostly positive to me so I just assumed people were enjoying the title.

icecream said:
And the larger userbase does not help in any way? It's certainly on par for a successful PS3 game, but hardly the inspiring example for future JRPG developers.
Other than the Wii Dragon Quest spin off (helped a lot by the name Dragon Quest being in the title), JRPG's have been struggling on consoles in general.

Shadow780

icecream said:
And the larger userbase does not help in any way? It's certainly on or above par for a successful PS3 game, but hardly the inspiring example for future JRPG developers.

Sure it does.

For inspiring future titles, maybe, maybe not, we'll see.

Jonnyram

Lightning said:
I can't read a word of Japanese, what does it say?
Average score: 48/100
Difficulty 1.57 (out of 5)
46 reviews
User rank D

Score chart (all out of 5):
Graphics 3.24
Sound 3.30
Excitement 2.67
Satisfaction 2.28
Comfort of play 2.22
Originality 2.63

I won't read all the reviews, but people say the battles are very unexciting.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
46 reviews
User rank D

Graphics 3.24
Sound 3.30
Excitement 2.67
Satisfaction 2.28
Comfort of play 2.22
Originality 2.63

Damn... that is incredibly disappointing. Thanks for correctly my incorrect assumption.

I'm just noticing that the 'BAD' portions seems to be longer than the 'GOOD' portions.

Also: Dollars to donuts this game was rushed out for the season, although it's anyone's guess how much the final quality of the game was affected.

Paracelsus

Jonnyram said:
2.6M versus 800k. Yeah you have a point

That's why you usually release games on the bigger userbase out of the three consoles on the market. If it's not the first, the second one. Infact in the States PS3 software sales get crushed mostly 3-to-1 by 360 ones.

but hardly the inspiring example for future JRPG developers.

Considering we won't see many Jrpg devs on PS360 this gen at all, I'd say that's pretty much inspiring for the ones that already are on the market.

jakncoke

Banned
bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 12/29 - 01/04

01. [PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 97,000 / 757,000
02. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) - 92,000 / 948,000
03. [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) - 91,000 / 1,442,000
04. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 91,000 / 986,000
05. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girl's Mode (Nintendo) - 76,000 / 626,000
06. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) - 73,000 / 276,000
07. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 73,000 / 2,076,000
08. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 72,000 / 3,039,000
09. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) - 65,000 / 2,253,000
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 61,000 / 260,000

11. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec III (SCE) - 60,000 / 284,000
12. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 58,000 / 3,365,000
13. [NDS] Phantasy Star Zero (Sega) - 55,000 / 140,000
14. [WII] Wii de Asobu: Pikmin (Nintendo) - 53,000 / 101,000
15. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson) - 50,000 / 165,000
16. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu: 20th Anniversary (Hudson) - 47,000 / 169,000
17. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 43,000 / 671,000
19. [PS3] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 35,000 / 241,000
21. [NDS] Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco) - 31,000 / 475,000
23. [PS2] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 30,000 / 162,000
24. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 29,000 / 4,881,000
25. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 28,000 / 3,345,000
26. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) - 26,000 / 324,000
27. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 26,000 / 5,398,000
28. [NDS] Tales of Hearts: Anime Movie & CG Movie (Bandai Namco) - 25,000 / 202,000
29. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 25,000 / 2,618,000
30. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (Konami) - 22,000 / 177,000

__. [NDS] Minna de Jibun no Setsumeisho: B-Kata, A-Kata, AB-Kata, O-Kata (GungHo Works) - 12,000 / NEW

DSL 58000
DSi 201000
PSP 169000
Wii 141000
PS3 68000
PS2 19000
360 19000

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1231020902/969
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1231020902/970

PS3's 7th best week ever
360's 6th best week ever
Wii's 9th best week ever
PSP 3rd best week ever

donny2112 said:
I'm not saying that WKC = RG launched two weeks later. I'm saying that its "legs" at two weeks have a lot more to do with the two weeks that it launched in than WKC's innate ability to sustain sales.
I know that's what you were saying, and I disagree about the weight to give its release timing. Holidays certainly fetch bigger numbers, no dispute. But is that inevitable for every game, or do different games perform differently without strong input from the season?

We can approach that question two ways. First, do games other than WKC also have inflated legs in these weeks? Final Fantasy IV released a calendar week earlier last year, at 308k. Its second and third weeks were 138k and 80k. Yet Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage released in March around the same ballpark (243k), and its second and third weeks were 100k and 56k. That represents virtually the same percentage drops despite the "interruption" of the holiday rush.

The second approach is, do other games released in the same calendar week perform the same? Last year Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden opened at 198k, but fell to 43k for week 2. That represents a 70% difference between it and WKC, despite the nearly identical starts at the same time of year.

A couple individual cases like this isn't a clinching argument, I agree. But it certainly suggests that any link between calendar time and performance is fluid. That there is a holiday effect doesn't necessitate assigning all or even most of a game's sales to the holidays. I believe WKC will probably hit somewhere around 25k next week, and that big drop will be because the holidays are over. That doesn't mean that it couldn't have done worse for itself the past two weeks despite the holiday.

HK-47 said:
The PS3 is also starved for RPGs unlike the PS2. Thats also important. It doesnt exactly have much competition
As I said, we can bandy about our guesses as to the reasons for the game's performance curve (I specifically cited this exact thing as something someone might say). That's part of the fun of sales threads. My point was bigger: no matter the reasons, the game itself is the concatenation of them all, and I think we should be careful not to fritter away that unity in plausible but arbitrary slivering of the factors.

"Why?" questions are more interesting, but "how?" questions are the building blocks of real insight. Basically, sales-age is still awaiting a good multivariate analysis of its data pool.

Vinnk

Jonnyram said:
46 reviews
User rank D

Graphics 3.24
Sound 3.30
Excitement 2.67
Satisfaction 2.28
Comfort of play 2.22
Originality 2.63

Yeah, that's what I thought would happen. When a major hyped game score so low in Famitsu, something must have been REALLY wrong.

The ads for it look great though. I wonder what went wrong.

Parl

donny2112 said:
No. The DS one should be -45%, and the PSP +20%, for example
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Whoever calculated these seems to have done the 2007 minus the 2008, then divided that difference by 2008, then switched its positive/negative and turned it into a percentage. Why, I have no idea, but it should have been clear from a quick look at the numbers that 82% is way off.

I can't fully understand how PSP bumps 50k in hardware sales out of nowhere, two weeks after Dissidia. 148k -> 120k -> 169k. Biggest week and all sure, but still kinda weird.

Btw, hardware bundles fuel GT5P over 500k (231k + 284k = 515k).

Oh and my #20 bet is Pawapuro Kun Pocket 11 DS :p

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
YAY Famitsu :D :D :D

Nice bump for PS3 hardware compared to the last few weeks.

Edit- Nevermind. Not that impressive :(
I guess it depends on how you see it and what you compare it too :) Within the last year, the PS3 has only had 2 weeks were the hardware sales has been around 70k. The 1st time was almost exactly 1 year ago and the 2nd time was when MGS4 was released.

The PS3 did sub-10k numbers not that long ago. But to be fair, this is the holiday season, and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III is now bundled with most of the PS3s for free, and White Knight Chronicles and Gundam Masou 2 was recently released. That was the case before, so this might have some effect on the hardware sale. The price on the PS3 console itself is however the same now as it was about 1 year ago, as far as i know at least.

So is it impressive for a almost 40,000 yen console to sell around 70k in 1 week in the holiday season, or should more be expected? (genuine question) :)

Jonnyram said:
46 reviews
User rank D

Graphics 3.24
Sound 3.30
Excitement 2.67
Satisfaction 2.28
Comfort of play 2.22
Originality 2.63

Is that 46 reviews from 46 persons or 46 reviews from different magazine, gamesites etc.? If it is 46 persons, then that is 46 persons out of about 276,000 persons (assuming that each person bought a copy of White Knight Chronicles, some people might have bought more than 1 for collection purpose or something). It also says "average score", which means that some of those 46 could have been high, while the other could have been low.

EDIT: I now see that there is a graph that shows the percentage of the scores at that site. 52.1% are on the 0-49 point side, and 47.8% are on the 50-100 point side. The highest percentage are on 40-49 points with 21.7% and on 70-79 points with also 21.7% :) Based on these reviews it seems to be an relatively average game indeed.

I am not saying that these people are wrong or anything, i am sure that there are people who dont like and/or are enjoying White Knight Chronicles, but i wonder how much these 46 people represent the general thought/feelings for people that are playing White Knight Chronicles and if they are enjoying the game or not :)

Kenka

This game launched in April right ? It will soon catch its prequel and become the 50th best selling DS game of all time in Japan. Amazing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Pureauthor said:
Also: Dollars to donuts this game was rushed out for the season, although it's anyone's guess how much the final quality of the game was affected.

I was wondering a little about that as well. I just figured I was wrong when I read positive impressions in the official thread, which I guess makes sense when you think about it, as most people posting in official threads are going to be big fans of the game and more likely to overlook flaws.

test_account said:
I am not saying that these people are wrong or anything, i am sure that there are people who dont like and/or are enjoying White Knight Chronicles, but i wonder how much these 46 people represent the general thought/feelings for people that are playing White Knight Chronicles and if they are enjoying the game or not :)

I generally find on sites like mobygames, gamerankings, etc, once you have around 5 or more user reviews (especially over say 25), any ranking is fairly well grounded, more often than not, better than the official reviews. There's almost never been a single instance among hundreds and hundreds of scores that I've seen a rating entirely out of whack, especially not by over 20 or 30 points.

There's always the person who likes or dislikes a genre/game under any circumstances and will argue the average is way off, but as far as a typical gamer, they're extremely reliable in my experience.

Top Bottom