• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu gives Lightning Returns a 37/40, lower than XIII and XIII-2

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
He's not wrong. GILGAMESH is in it. So of course it's one of the best.

ffv heavily featured gilgamesh and i thought it was a terrible ff game

MechaX

Really? Every preview from western sites and magazines has been quite positive. I wouldn't be surprised for 8-9 review scores.

Given how absolutely notorious the western press is about the disconnect between previews and reviews, positive previews doesn't really tell us anything at all.

Alric

All those scores seem high. FFXIII is a 15-20 hour tutorial and I just can't fathom how it'd have that high of a score. FFXIII is by no means the worst game ever but just doesn't deserve such high marks.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
ffv heavily featured gilgamesh and i thought it was a terrible ff game

image.php

-------------

But seriously it's your opinion and I can respect that.

Shinta

Banned
Given how absolutely notorious the western press is about the disconnect between previews and reviews, positive previews doesn't really tell us anything at all.

I think they'll play the game, like the music, like the increased customization and open world, like the abundance of side quests, REALLY like the battle system, and hate the story.

I expect 8s and 9s. Polygon will give it a 3. And yes, all previews so far have been exceedingly positive in the west. More so than most posters here realize apparently.

Einbroch

Banned
Of course a FFVI fan would think the far superior game that came out before it was bad. FFVI fans are more delusional than FFVIII fans and that's saying something.
I don't think I've ever been so speechless in my life. You can like FFV better. You can like FFVIII, somehow. But you can't lump FFVI fans in with the FFVIII peasants.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Flash before my eyes,
Now it's time to die,
Burning in my brain,
I can feel the flame.
Someone help me,
Oh please, God help me

Then my avatar will change :(
hopefully in something Toriyama's related. Or this could be the second NieR I was waiting for: more they bash, more is good! Or evne better: Demon's Souls before someone actually noticed it was good!

Looks like I am on my way to winning this avatar bet. :D

In any case. For me is a 40/40 without even playing it. There's Light, Toriyama and FF in it. It's a given.

There's the Perfo I know. :)

Edit: So Toriyama has directed the two lowest scoring console Final Fantasy games according to Famitsu. That's saying something.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Getting real tired of the Gaf Hate Brigade for this game. FFXIII is my favorite FF and I am quite hyped for this.

Takao

Banned
That said this could be a funny turn out of events with LR being liked LESS in the the EAST and more in the WEST, as opposed to XIII in general that got relaly bashed here by magazines and loved in Japan by the same.

Is this really true? XIII was incredibly front loaded in Japan, with loads of used copies available shortly after release, and there was big a drop off with XIII-2's sales. All of that indicates that Japan didn't care too much for XIII either.

Kyon

Banned
Is this really true? XIII was incredibly front loaded in Japan, with loads of used copies available shortly after release, and there was big a drop off with XIII-2's sales. All of that indicates that Japan didn't care too much for XIII either.

they were overshipped obviously.

Hopefully they learn their lesson and ship like 100k copies max cause this is gonna flop

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Really? Every preview from western sites and magazines has been quite positive. I wouldn't be surprised for 8-9 review scores.

Because every preview has been specifically limited to a very tiny segment of the game. Previews haven't been observing the rest of the package outside of the battle system.

MilkBeard

I guess this is the fate of every Final Fantasy thread. It always succumbs to people arguing over which one is better.

...tis' an endless debate, round and round it spins for eternity.

Anyway, I'll probably be picking this up, since I bought the first two. Will give me something to play during next gen drought.

Skilletor

I guess this is the fate of every Final Fantasy thread. It always succumbs to people arguing over which one is better.

...tis' an endless debate, round and round it spins for eternity.

Anyway, I'll probably be picking this up, since I bought the first two. Will give me something to play during next gen drought.

Yeah, I thought the community thread was made for this express reason.

I think this game looks pretty sweet. I say that as a person who hated 13/13-2. Of course, I couldn't care less about the story. I just think the environments look great and the battle system looks interesting.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
You're allowed to like it, but I'm allowed to hate it.

I have no problem with people hating the game, but when 80% of FFXIII threads are filled with the same jokes and "toriyama waifu lel" posts it's a little tiring.

dramatis

It's pretty easy.

Low score for LR = Famitsu matters.
High score for LR = Famitsu doesn't matter.

One might even think some posters had an agenda.
You've ignored the posters who explicitly say a Famitsu score means nothing, period. When the written review of one of the reviewers consists of something like "It's like a refreshing spring breeze" and this is the line they'd probably also use for a Dynasty Warriors game (their reviews are pretty much 3-4 sentences), I'd say you best just not even think anything of the score.

It's a real riot when you're trying to justify how the Famitsu review system is better than a western review because there's more people giving pretty much an 'impression'.

With me.

He bet me that LR would be the highest scoring console FF of this gen. We are determining the winner about 1-2 weeks after LR is out.

Should be fun. :D

Still thinking what avatar I should give him. I need ideas GAF!!!

People are actually wrong about it being the "worst scoring FF since FFX-2."

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII scored at 28/40, and it's just as much of an FF game as Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is (note that both of them even have the title in the same style).

This isn't to compare them in terms of quality, of course - Dirge of Cerberus is an unpolished disaster and is far worse than any of the FFXIII games have been, as much as I haven't enjoyed them as much as the rest of the series. They still hit a certain expected baseline of quality and polish even though the artistry and design aren't my personal favorite (just my opinion).

Ligthning Returns still looks vastly more interesting and imaginative to me than FFXIII/FFXIII-2 from a game design point of view, though. It's going to be the first FF game in a very long while that I don't buy at launch though.

qq more

With me.

He bet me that LR would be the highest scoring console FF of this gen. We are determining the winner about 1-2 weeks after LR is out.

Oh wow LOL

Maybe an anti-Lightning avatar?

Yasadril

you can't trust famitsu's score. In last few years, more and more games are getting like 40/40 compared to 20 years ago where it would be extremely rare.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
People are actually wrong about it being the "worst scoring FF since FFX-2."

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII scored at 28/40, and it's just as much of an FF game as Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is (note that both of them even have the title in the same style).

This isn't to compare them in terms of quality, of course - Dirge of Cerberus is an unpolished disaster and is far worse than any of the FFXIII games have been, as much as I haven't enjoyed them as much as the rest of the series. They still hit a certain expected baseline of quality and polish even though the artistry and design aren't my personal favorite (just my opinion).

And now you have reminded me of that garbage game.

With me.

Lightning picture crying tears of blood.

Use paint for the tears.

GILGAMESH head on his Goddess's body.

>:p

Lol. I actually like this. I think we can think of a better one though.

image.php

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Nope. That ones mine. ;)

Plus he would actually enjoy having this avatar. I want this one to be a slow burn. ;P

Oh wow LOL

Maybe an anti-Lightning avatar?

That would be too easy. I actually thought about this for a while. We might circle back around to this but I want it to hit where it hurts while being hilarious to anyone who sees it. :D

doemaaan

Not that I give a damn about Famitsu reviews, but I wonder what the second two reviewers found wrong with the game.

Top Bottom