• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Hideki Kamiya's new project "in motion" 2014

Dahbomb

Day 1 for Kamiya's DMC5 on Xbox One.

Hell I would buy that shit on the original Wii if someone made a DMC5. I am fiending so hard for a DMC game it's not even funny.

mugwhump

But seriously, I think any real fan who wants what's best for Platinum can agree that the only platform that can truly do their games justice in terms of graphics and sales is the Nokia N-Gage.

Gusto

we8wQ9i.jpg

My posse

Do you want some of this?

This is one studio that would be wise to let a publisher tell them how to make their game appeal more to the mainstream much like a producer helps out a newly signed garage band. I know many of you may abhor that statement but Platinum is the poster child of an awesome studio slitting it's own throat.

TDLink

I don't really know why you are assuming PS4 is going to sell well in Japan. There's no real indication of that yet, especially when most of Japan's big games next year are hitting either PS3 or 3DS. Honestly, I'm not sure any of the "home consoles" will thrive this gen in Japan. It's going to be a 3DS and mobile land if this year and next year are any indication.

Anyways, on topic.

CBOAT's still the only source for Platinum working on a XBONE game. While he's been reliable in the past, he also hasn't been 100% right in the past. XBONE isn't even hitting Japan until next winter and plans can easily change for a launch that far off. Not to mention, his wording seemed to imply it was Platinum doing the game as a studio but not Kamiya himself. I'm going to say Kamiya's new project is not for the XBONE, even if Platinum is working on a XBONE Japanese launch exclusive...which I think is up in the air.

I also highly doubt Kamiya has anything to do with Metal Gear Rising 2. It hasn't been officially announced yet and we all know it's coming, but since he wasn't involved with the first I can't see him wanting to direct the second. He likes to do his own thing, not work off of others' plates.

In the past, including recent past, he has expressed interest in working on Nintendo franchises like Star Fox and Takamaru. He also has said in interviews he enjoyed working with Nintendo on Wonderful 101. For these reasons, I think it is possible he could be working on one of these franchises he was interested in for them, or on another project for them.

I think SEGA is done with Platinum, Sony has shown no interest in them, there's bad blood with Capcom, and Konami only shows interest in anything named Metal Gear these days (which they're likely already getting from this studio, but not Kamiya). With all of that considered, I still see this being a Nintendo funded project despite poor Wonderful 101 sales and almost-definite poor Bayonetta 2 sales. Nintendo needs to bolster the Wii U's library further and even if they are bombs each of these titles helps them tap into the "niche" "hardcore" market.

I could definitely see the Nintendo rationale even being that if they give him an established Nintendo franchise (like Star Fox) maybe it will sell better than an original IP (like Wonderful 101).

So...yeah, I think Kamiya's new project is probably for Nintendo, almost definitely for Wii U if so. All of the other publishers kind of don't want anything to do with Platinum outside of Konami with MGR2 so it makes the most sense.

I hope it's Starfox, seems like an IP that he's greatly interested and could do a lot with. Action-packed space battles with perhaps the occasional on foot adventure/combat segments as well could be a nice revitalization of an IP that hasn't had much love lately yet still is relevant enough to draw attention.

Instro

This is one studio that would be wise to let a publisher tell them how to make their game appeal more to the mainstream much like a producer helps out a newly signed garage band. I know many of you may abhor that statement but Platinum is the poster child of an awesome studio slitting it's own throat.

To what end? They apparently haven't had any problems getting publishers to fund their projects thus far.

Kamiya-San,
please, for the love of god, please don't make an xbone exclusive game
please don't force me to buy that shit console for your game
pretty please ;_;
ill suck ur dik

Instro

With regards to the CBOAT XBone rumor, I see some misinformation regarding what he said so it should be re-posted at this point:

tuthfacte+4
fy yoi thgouhte poelw er mad about abyoneta going sequeleggy to WeeeeYEWW youl be soemwaht nuhapy babout waht MS i money hateing w/Platfinim/. other jpnj dvs inplay to but KMAIYATown IS ONLY o1 I am solid onon. game NOT for nortamser uior Euroep, btway which maek sno nsense byt hwathever.

People will be somewhat unhappy about it, and it is apparently not coming to NA or EU. Nothing is said there about it being a Kamiya game, and it being Japan only probably means its some sort of port or something odd. That doesn't scream "next Kamiya project" to me.

TDLink

To what end? They apparently haven't had any problems getting publishers to fund their projects thus far.

I love their games but as I outlined in my last post Nintendo is the only Japanese publisher that really makes sense for them going forward. And who knows how long Nintendo will want to keep that relationship alive/how many bombs it can endure.

SEGA has abandoned them.
Capcom sees them as traitors.
Square doesn't produce action games and is shifting focus to mobile.
Konami only cares about Metal Gear and will thus likely only use the studio to make further MGR games.
Sony doesn't seem to care about them.

Outside of Nintendo who is going to give them another chance? Namco possibly? I'm not even really sure about that, but it could be another answer...even if I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in the camp of not caring if they bomb so long as they keep getting funding. That's why I think the arrangement with Nintendo is probably the best, provided they continue to not care. I just want amazing games from Platinum...and there aren't many who would pay for that anymore.

Day 1 for Kamiya's DMC5 on Xbox One.

Hell I would buy that shit on the original Wii if someone made a DMC5. I am fiending so hard for a DMC game it's not even funny.

It has to be their next big non fighting game. I would say DD2 but DMC5 would be a lot cheaper, easier and sell waaaaaaaayy more than DD2.

jbug617

Banned
With regards to the CBOAT XBone rumor, I see some misinformation regarding what he said so it should be re-posted at this point:

People will be somewhat unhappy about it, and it is apparently not coming to NA or EU. Nothing is said there about it being a Kamiya game, and it being Japan only probably means its some sort of port or something odd. That doesn't scream "next Kamiya project" to me.

He mentions Kamiya though.

I love their games but as I outlined in my last post Nintendo is the only Japanese publisher that really makes sense for them going forward. And who knows how long Nintendo will want to keep that relationship alive/how many bombs it can endure.

SEGA has abandoned them.
Konami only cares about Metal Gear and will thus likely only use the studio to make further MGR games.

Outside of Nintendo who is going to give them another chance? Namco possibly? I'm not even really sure about that, but it could be another answer...even if I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in the camp of not caring if they bomb so long as they keep getting funding. That's why I think the arrangement with Nintendo is probably the best, provided they continue to not care. I just want amazing games from Platinum...and there aren't many who would pay for that anymore.

Nintendo can take all the bombas platinium can make , other publishers actually need those sales

Instro

SEGA has abandoned them.

Square doesn't produce action games? What are you talking about? Everything you said beyond SEGA abandoning them is either untrue or just you guessing. I don't disagree that at some point they could face an issue of finding a publisher, but the idea that they should take cues from a pub on how to make their games is absurd.

Unless he's working on a popular Nintendo IP (which isn't completely out of the realms of possibility) there's no way Nintendo funds another one of his games at least on Wii U. He says he doesn't like to do sequels so a MS funded Xbone new IP wouldn't be surprising. Can't think of many other publishers who would do it besides a 1st party. I'm sure Rising 2 is in the works somewhere in Platinum though

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
There was that Xbox One exclusive Platinum's supposedly making according to CBOAT. That plus the phrase "fully in motion" gives me bad, Kinect related vibes of despair.

I mean, new Kinect is better than old Kinect, but I'd still rather have some form of a controller for a Platinum game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you asking if he will stick with the Wii U? The platform is not Kamiya's decision to make. I'm starting to understand why he explodes on people on Twitter so frequently.

TDLink

Nintendo can take all the bombas platinium can make , other publishers actually need those sales

Yes, I know, that is actually what I was arguing. I think Nintendo continuing to produce their games is the best bet for the studio, and thus I hope it continues so I can keep playing their games.

Square doesn't produce action games? What are you talking about? Everything you said beyond SEGA abandoning them is either untrue or just you guessing. I don't disagree that at some point they could face an issue of finding a publisher, but the idea that they should take cues from a pub on how to make their games is absurd.

Outside of Dirge of Cerberus and (arguably) Nier, what action games have Square made in the last decade? Moreover, when they do produce action games they are not in the vein of Platinum's games at all. I'm not saying Square couldn't produce one out of the blue, but it would be uncharacteristic of the studio looking at their past produced games and currently announced future produced games. They also most definitely are shifting focus to mobile outside of a small handful of titles. Nothing about that is untrue or a guess.

I don't subscribe to the idea that they should bend to a publisher's will either. I love Platinum how they are and wouldn't want them to have their hands tied. I'm just saying that because of this way they make games it does alienate many of the publishers. I think the Nintendo situation is good (for now) because they don't seem to care as much if Platinum's games are bombs (for now) so it will allow Platinum to crank out at least a few more games with their funding. I'm saying that because of this Nintendo's the only real logical choice for Kamiya's mystery game and once Nintendo drops support and I'm not really sure where Platinum would turn. Again, not saying that's a bad thing. I just think it will be unfortunate whenever it happens.

Instro

Outside of Dirge of Cerberus and (arguably) Nier, what action games have Square made in the last decade? Moreover, when they do produce action games they are not in the vein of Platinum's games at all. I'm not saying Square couldn't produce one out of the blue, but it would be uncharacteristic of the studio looking at their past produced games and currently announced future produced games. They also most definitely are shifting focus to mobile outside of a small handful of titles. Nothing about that is untrue or a guess.

Square publishes a wide variety of games in the east and west, action games included, I'm not sure they would turn away from an action game in the vein of Platinum's works. What Square directly develops themselves doesn't affect what they choose to publish. Moreover many of their rpg's past, present, and future are fairly action heavy anyway.

popyea

There was that Xbox One exclusive Platinum's supposedly making according to CBOAT. That plus the phrase "fully in motion" gives me bad, Kinect related vibes of despair.

I mean, new Kinect is better than old Kinect, but I'd still rather have some form of a controller for a Platinum game.

The way he says "without fear of failure" makes me wonder why his next game is so easy that you can't fail. WTF KAMIYA!

TDLink

Square publishes a wide variety of games in the east and west, action games included, I'm not sure they would turn away from an action game in the vein of Platinum's works. What Square directly develops themselves doesn't affect what they choose to publish. Moreover many of their rpg's past, present, and future are fairly action heavy anyway.

My point is they don't really go for the type of game that Platinum typically produces. Does that mean they never will? No. You're right, it's entirely possible they could fund a Platinum game. However, based on games they have funded already, their new focus on mobile, more conservative attitude when it comes to traditional game systems (hunkering down on FF, KH, and DQ)...it's incredibly unlikely.

Anyways, that is all getting away from my central point. It's unlikely that anyone but Nintendo (and Konami) are funding another project for Platinum at the current time.

I saw the suggestion of a Kamiya directed ZOE3 a few posts ago...that's one of the scenarios I could see where this doesn't end up as a Nintendo game. Although i'm still not sure Konami is in the mood to fund a middle to big budget project that doesn't feature the Metal Gear brand.

Whatever it is though I'm down. I just want more Platinum and Kamiya games.

Honestly though, imo whatever Kamiya is working on I think would be best suited for PS4, even PS3 or multiplatform. I have a bad feeling that Bayonetta 2 is going to bomb miserably and Wonderful 101 bombed and most of the Microsoft contingent does not care about Japanese games. Why should Kamiya try an exclusive third project with Nintendo or Microsoft? Then again, if they pay him an insane amount of money for an exclusive, I cannot blame Kamiya.

Someone has to fund their games, when they were under Sega having multiplat games was no problem but Sega seems to have dropped them and most other third party publishers don't seem interested. All thats left is the Big 3 and if any of them fund it it'll be exclusive. Which is fine since even if it bombs its guaranteed money for them. They lost nothing on W101 and wont w/ Bayo 2 if it does indeed flop.

Hindl

All of you saying Kamiya Star Fox U are breaking my heart. I was trusting of his insistence that he got tired of being pestered about it and was off it. Now you go and make me think there's a chance again

All of you saying Kamiya Star Fox U are breaking my heart. I was trusting of his insistence that he got tired of being pestered about it and was off it. Now you go and make me think there's a chance again

What better way to surprise people and get them off his back at the same time? :p Says he's done wanting to make the game -> People stop pestering him -> Gets to make the game in peace -> People get Star Fox U.

Though as much as I want this I feel Kamiya is working on something else.

What better way to surprise people and get them off his back at the same time? :p Says he's done wanting to make the game -> People stop pestering him -> Gets to make the game in peace -> People get Star Fox U.

Though as much as I want this I feel Kamiya is working on something else.

is something with konami, its not nintendo

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Curious to see what it is, and what platform it ends up on. I'd guess WiiU, simply because the dude seems to be pretty pro-WiiU... if his twitter ramblings are to be believed. I'd be surprised if he was working on Metal Gear Rising 2, though, because he always seems to work on new IP.

Whatever it is though, it's probably going to kick ass. Kamiya talks a big game, but he can back it up 100%.

Top Bottom