• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Oct 20 (Bayonetta Review O_O)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Regardless of the accuracy of this post, I'd still give DAT ASS a 41/40. :D

(I don't have the "Chris Brown biting his lip" image handy, can someone help a brotha out?)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Now that I think of it, since Bayonetta's outfit is made out of her living hair, what happens if she has a case of the runs? Wouldn't that, you know, get in her hair? I wonder why the developers didn't think of this shit... oh God, I hope nobody was eating when I said that crap...

Kaibutsu

twinturbo2 said:
Now that I think of it, since Bayonetta's outfit is made out of her living hair, what happens if she has a case of the runs? Wouldn't that, you know, get in her hair? I wonder why the developers didn't think of this shit... oh God, I hope nobody was eating when I said that crap...

.... you're talking about Bayonetta shitting herself? Really dude?

Trojan X

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Whoa...unexpected. I wonder if the PS3 version holds up.

Well, review wise it should be the same but if you want a visuals & sound comparison, here is my opinion:

* Graphics -
- Xbox 360: High and silky smooth frame-rate. Rich and vibrant colours. Great levels of black with the shadowing and high on contrast.

- PS3: Frame rate is definitely lower without a doubt! The game doesn't move silky smooth like the Xbox version (If the Xbox moves at 55-60fps at best then the PS3 version is around 45fps) as it obviously judders when you are shifting around the game. However, do not be mistaken as this being obvious from the get-go as you won't notice it unless you compare it to the Xbox directly. It's like the movements between NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT and FORZA, NFS still moves well but no way as smooth and slick as FORZA. With respect aesthetics the differences are quite pronounced as the colours are more pastel with richness in black and contrast levels not being so high as the Xbox version. In simple terms, it's like a washed-out version of the Xbox game but, again, do not be detered because it is still impressive.

* Sound -
- Xbox 360: Compressed sound that doesn't entirely do an amazing job at assigning the sound-FXs to the appropriate speakers with respect to the object/character position on the stage/3D-Space. Example of this was some of the spell cast, I was hearing roars of the creature more on my rear speakers rather than the appropriate front speakers. Other than that the sound is still amazing as each sound-fx and its music are strong and clear.

- PS3: Amazing sound quality! Witch bullet-time sounds incredible because you can feel the sound waves slightly hitting you on each execution. The screams, shouts and roars that suppose to emulate from an on-screen character are applied and produced & pans appropriately cross the stage via the correct speakers. The sound is also crystal clear & sharper than the Xbox version, no doubt this is probably thanks to the PS3 superior sound unit and the BluRay disk.

Overall -
The Xbox 360 version is the best one to get (which is no suprise as Platinum Games originally created on the Xbox whilst SEGA ported the code to the PS3) due to the superior graphics. The PS3 version has the best sound but unless you have a good sound system you won't notice this.

DangerStepp

WickedLaharl said:
why are people taking famitsu reviews seriously? i mean bayonetta might be the greatest game of all time but i wouldn't take their word for it.
This.

And I still hate her face.

jett

D-Member
Kaibutsu said:
.... you're talking about Bayonetta shitting herself? Really dude?

I'm sure hentai artists are thinking worse.

Much worse.

- PS3: Frame rate is definitely lower without a doubt! The game doesn't move silky smooth like the Xbox version (If the Xbox moves at 55-60fps at best then the PS3 version is around 45fps) as it obviously judders when you are shifting around the game. However, do not be mistaken as this being obvious from the get-go as you won't notice it unless you compare it to the Xbox directly. It's like the movements between NEED FOR SPEED SHIFT and FORZA, NFS still moves well but no way as smooth and slick as FORZA. With respect aesthetics the differences are quite pronounced as the colours are more pastel with richness in black and contrast levels not being so high as the Xbox version. In simple terms, it's like a washed-out version of the Xbox game but, again, do not be detered because it is still impressive.

So the demo is representative of the final product. That's just great. I guess I'll miss out on Famitsu's latest perfect game.

From what I played of the Bayonetta demo, I am not surprised at the perfect score.

I haven't gotten this kind of feeling from a game since RE4. I can't explain it. I was day 1 after I played the demo but these scores make me feel justified (cause a couple people in the Bayonetta thread were ripping on me for liking the game so much).

lupinko

Trojan X said:
Well, review wise it should be the same but if you want a visuals & sound comparison, here is my opinion:

* Graphics -
- Xbox 360: High and silky smooth frame-rate. Rich and vibrant colours. Great levels of black with the shadowing and high on contrast.

* Sound -
- Xbox 360: Compressed sound that doesn't entirely do an amazing job at assigning the sound-FXs to the appropriate speakers with respect to the object/character position on the stage/3D-Space. Example of this was some of the spell cast, I was hearing roars of the creature more on my rear speakers rather than the appropriate front speakers. Other than that the sound is still amazing as each sound-fx and its music are strong and clear.

- PS3: Amazing sound quality! Witch bullet-time sounds incredible because you can feel the sound waves slightly hitting you on each execution. The screams, shouts and roars that suppose to emulate from an on-screen character are applied and produced & pans appropriately cross the stage via the correct speakers. The sound is also crystal clear & sharper than the Xbox version, no doubt this is probably thanks to the PS3 superior sound unit and the BluRay disk.

Overall -
The Xbox 360 version is the best one to get (which is no suprise as Platinum Games originally created on the Xbox whilst SEGA ported the code to the PS3) due to the superior graphics. The PS3 version has the best sound but unless you have a good sound system you won't notice this.

Are you basing this off the demos or have you played the finished games already?

xfactor said:
Review
[NDS]Umiharakawase Shun: Second Edition Kanzenban 7/6/6/6
[NDS]Date ni Game Tsui Wake Jane! Dungeon Maker Girls Type 5/4/4/4
[NDS]Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden 9/9/9/9
[NDS]Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars 10/9/9/9
[NDS]Fresh PreCure! Asobi Collection 8/7/8/7
[PSP]Elminage II: Sousei no Megami to Unmei no Daichi 5/6/5/5

[Wii]Shin Sports 5/5/5/5
[Wii]Sin and Punishment 9/9/9/9
[Wii]Super Robot Taisen Neo 8/7/8/8
[PS3/360]Bayonetta 10/10/10/10
[PSP/PS3/360]Tekken 6 8/9/8/9

The links which have reported on the Bayonetta news
http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/4404212/
http://rocketnews24.com/?p=17102
http://blog.livedoor.jp/jim115/archives/51282515.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/jin115/archives/51582429.html
http://news.searchina.ne.jp/disp.cgi?y=2009&d=1020&f=it_1020_001.shtml

This may be a bit of hyperbole, but I also posted it in the Bayonetta demo thread......I am not surprised at all. Bayonetta just felt like an awesome game. I was super down on the game at first, but when I played that demo I knew it would be amazing. That game can't come soon enough for me
more hyped about it than GOW3? Perhaps...and I love God of War

Also.....

[Wii]Sin and Punishment 9/9/9/9
[PSP/PS3/360]Tekken 6 8/9/8/9

Awesome :D

RuGalz

They must have played the 360 version and just gave both the same score because "it's the same game" compared feature to feature.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I loved the Bayonetta demo and I'm glad the Japanese press liked it so much. I'll most likely buy it day 1 unless the rest of the reviews say otherwise.

So famitsu how do you feel about Bayonetta?

121q2ig.png

I see

JaseMath

Trojan X said:

* Graphics -

* Sound -

Overall -
Nice and thanks! :D

I haven't DL'ed the demo (or even seen much of the game at all), so I don't know what I'm in for. I just heard it was like Devil May Cry with a sexy lead who looked like a teacher.

EXGN

I think these scores are fake, there's no evidence of it. But if you guys want to hear about more rumors that were posted(since we don't have anything else to talk about):

New Rengoku game for PS3 coming Feb 2010. More weapons and online play. Were these received well in Japan? Can't figure out why they're still making them, they were panned in the US.

New character announced for KHBBS

FF13 - new summons announced.

Again, just like the review scores, this is all likely 100% BS.

obonicus

lupinko said:
Are you basing this off the demos or have you played the finished games already?

He responded above:
Trojan X said:
Have I played the entire game? No. Have I played half the game, yes. Have I seen the entire game? Oh hell yes! Does this game deserve GOTY? Frigging YESS!!!1

Hypereides

Gold Member
EXGN said:
I think these scores are fake, there's no evidence of it. But if you guys want to hear about more rumors that were posted(since we don't have anything else to talk about):

New Rengoku game for PS3 coming Feb 2010. More weapons and online play. Were these received well in Japan? Can't figure out why they're still making them, they were panned in the US.

New character announced for KHBBS

FF13 - new summons announced.

Again, just like the review scores, this is all likely 100% BS.

First time Ive ever heard of Rengoku games. Just skimmed an article of the PSP version. Could be interesting IF true.

john tv

I heard about the 40/40 well in advance of the Famitsu "leak" so I think at least that much should be legit. Dunno about the other stuff tho.

People keep talking about seeing "all" of Bayonetta -- does it turn into Phantasy Star V halfway through or something? What's the deal?

duckroll

john tv said:
I heard about the 40/40 well in advance of the Famitsu "leak" so I think at least that much should be legit. Dunno about the other stuff tho.

People keep talking about seeing "all" of Bayonetta -- does it turn into Phantasy Star V halfway through or something? What's the deal?

I think they're talking about seeing all of her without the hair covering vital spots....

jett

D-Member
john tv said:

I think it's in reference to the uh...Sega references that are all over the game, I assume. Even the soundtrack has bunch of music from classic Sega franchises.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
My goodness, I thought they were gonna save it for FF13 this year.

Famitsu is really whoring itself with these perfect scores lately. There was a time when a perfect score from them was really powerful, just last year it was. Since then I'm not really sure anymore.

Azelover said:
There was a time when a perfect score from them was really powerful, just last year it was. Since then I'm not really sure anymore.

I think many of us are just having fun with this thought for now :lol . Also you can't knock that the games on that short didn't do well at sales worldwide either. I guess we just have to sit back and check out media crate numbers to see if the gaming public feels the same.

Espada

Azelover said:

Famitsu is really whoring itself with these perfect scores lately. There was a time when a perfect score from them was really powerful, just last year it was. Since then I'm not really sure anymore.

This is my position on Famitsu at the moment. I'll wait until Western reviews, though that doesn't mean Bayonetta wasn't entertaining.

Tom Penny said:
Ok graphics and an unstable framerate = 10 for an action game. Makes sense to me....

There is nothing "unstable" about the framerate on 360. It's 55-60 constantly with small dips to 45 hear and there. You don't even notice the drops when you're playing. The only reason I know it drops to 45 sometimes is because I watched a video on Eurogamer which shows it.

The PS3 version, however, peaks at 45. Most of the time it's between 30-45 with dips in the 20's. Fantastic game though from what I have played thus far.

EXGN

Azelover said:

Especially because all these perfects are hitting during this time when their own developers are talking about how Japanese gaming is dead, needs to catch up with the west, has to be revolutionized, etc.

Azelover said:
Man, they are giving these things out like a mo'fuckin kindly old grandpa with a pocket full of Werther's Originals. Sheeeit. Final Fantasy XIII has this shit in the bag.

shuyin_

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Man, they are giving these things out like a mo'fuckin kindly old grandpa with a pocket full of Werther's Originals. Sheeeit. Final Fantasy XIII has this shit in the bag.
if FF13 gets 39/40 will the world implode? :D

batbeg

EXGN said:

This would be weird if true. I have to admit, Rengoku was the first game I got with my PSP... and I really liked it. Enough so that I'm always tempted by seeing Rengoku 2 in stores, and I'd probably follow up on a PS3 edition.

shuyin_

Banned
Y2Kev said:
They may add a fifth reviewer so they can give FFXIII a 50/50.
41/40 > 50/50 :|

Anyway, if the review scores are not fake, anybody seen the review texts? I wanna know what they had to say about 4 warriors of light

Top Bottom