• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 12/09/19 – 12/15/19

Bullet Club

Famitsu Sales: 12/09/19 – 12/15/19

Project Sakura Wars opens at 140,376 retail sales.

Famitsu has published its estimated physical game software and hardware sales data for Japan for the week of December 9, 2019 to December 15, 2019.

The highest selling new release last week was Project Sakura Wars for PlayStation 4, which opened at 140,376 retail copies sold.

Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield for Switch were still the highest selling new titles of the week with an additional 231,578 retail copies sold.

On the hardware side, the Switch family sold a massive 236,625 units, the PlayStation 4 family sold 11,216 units, and the 3DS family sold 3,694 units.

Get the full sales charts below.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (The Pokemon Company, 11/15/19) – 231,578 (2,456,459)
  2. [PS4] Project Sakura Wars (Limited Edition Included) (Sega, 12/12/19) – 140,376 (New)
  3. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 57,746 (386,257)
  4. [NSW] Luigi’s Mansion 3 (Nintendo, 10/31/19) – 48,449 (367,746)
  5. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games (Sega, 11/01/19) – 26,677 (103,857)
  6. [NSW] Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Bundle Version Included) (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 25,036 (1,063,127)
  7. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 22,376 (2,580,291)
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 21,135 (3,383,582)
  9. [NSW] Tsuri Spirits Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco, 07/25/19) – 20,932 (264,845)
  10. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo, 06/28/19) – 19,466 (739,734)
  11. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 19,370 (1,197,020)
  12. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Bundle Version Included) (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 11,154 (3,212,004)
  13. [PS4] Control (Marvelous, 12/12/19) -10,336 (New)
  14. [NSW] Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco, 10/10/19) – 10,275 (87,316)
  15. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4++ (Level-5, 12/05/19) – 9,674 (20,007)
  16. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (01/11/19) – 6,981 (723,501)
  17. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 6,617 (1,458,066)
  18. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun (Bandai Namco, 07/19/18) – 6,620 (398,242)
  19. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (Konami, 06/27/19) – 6,014 (192,235)
  20. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo, 10/27/17) – 5,575 (2,030,275)
  21. [NSW] Fortnite Darkfire Bundle (Warner Bros. Japan, 11/07/19) – 5,558 (26,446)
  22. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition (Limited Edition Included) (Square Enix, 09/27/19) – 5,548 (449,475)
  23. [PS4] SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (Limited Edition Included) (Bandai Namco, 11/28/19) -5,478 (80,323)
  24. [NSW] Eiga Sumikko Gurashi: Tobidasu Ehon to Himitsu no Ko – Game de Asobou! Ehon no Sekai (Nippon Columbia, 11/07/19) – 5,398 (17,958)
  25. [NSW] SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (Limited Edition Included) (Bandai Namco, 11/28/19) – 4,737 (57,099)
  26. [PS4] Death Stranding (Limited Editions Included) (SIE, 11/08/19) – 4,729 (253,475)
  27. [NSW] Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Let’s Go, Eevee! (Bundle Editions Included) (The Pokemon Company, 11/16/18) – 4,359 (1,674,468)
  28. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (SIE, 10/25/19) – 4,173 (200,683)
  29. [NSW] Kirby: Star Allies (Nintendo, 03/16/18) – 3,689 (771,408)
  30. [NSW] FIFA 20 Legacy Edition (Electronic Arts, 09/27/19) – 3,424 (31,896)
Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. Switch – 155,516 (10,006,913)
  2. Switch Lite – 81,109 (850,765)
  3. PlayStation 4 – 7,368 (7,219,731)
  4. PlayStation 4 Pro – 3,848 (1,339,850)
  5. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 3,549 (1,684,166)
  6. Xbox One S – 345 (18,281)
  7. Xbox One X – 177 (92,442)
  8. New 3DS LL – 145 (5,862,931)
  9. PS Vita – 51 (5,862,931)
Source: Gematsu

Bullet Club

Probably a typo on Gematsu's part, but it would be an incredible coincidence if they really had managed to have the exact same number of total lifetime sales. 3DS due to overtake next time?
Yeah it's just a typo. Here are last week's figures:
  • New 3DS LL – 124 (5,885,365)
  • PS Vita – 45 (5,862,880)

If you're not gonna do it in the proper format like https://www.neogaf.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-49-2019-dec-02-dec-08.1515490/ why make the thread at all and not just wait for the regular to make it? That's why I posted there, because like you I couldn't bother doing it properly.
Should we wait 10 days for the chosen one to make it? What's the problem if Bullet Club made a thread. We need it to comment on sales, not format.

If one store is closed today and will stay closed next few days, do you wait in front to buy groceries or do you go to the next store?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Should we wait 10 days for the chosen one to make it? What's the problem if Bullet Club made a thread. We need it to comment on sales, not format.

If one store is closed today and will stay closed next few days, do you wait in front to buy groceries or do you go to the next store?
So, why don't you comment on it instead of me with stupid analogies then? I didn't see you commenting in the previous linked thread either but ok, sure, you can argue theoretically I guess. Chosen one, lol, do you really need to mock people like that person making actual effort in maintaining something like these sales databases properly for NeoGAF just because you thought my opinion of this thread/OP is too harsh? Oh no, evil Al3x1s told a person off or something, I'll just bring another person into it and mock him and his efforts just to get back at Al3x1s, that'll teach him and show how much better I am for defending another person! Lol?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Seeing Sony continuously loosing their ground in Japan really gives me confidence that the PS5 will have lots of support from Japanese studios. Well i guess i have to congratulate Playstation America for their continued efforts to make this happen. :messenger_ok:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Death Stranding barely above Pokemon: Let's Go, from last year.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ring Fit Adventure's sales are surprising to me.

Am I the only one that notice Japan brought the Xbox One X almost 9 times more the the Xbox One S? So they would rather spend more money on the X over there than get the cheaper option that plays the same games?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Am I the only one that notice Japan brought the Xbox One X almost 9 times more the the Xbox One S? So they would rather spend more money on the X over there than get the cheaper option that plays the same games?
Probably also has something to do with the fact that a lot of Japanese games have been coming to the Xbox platform lately (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, etc) which is likely driving a lot of those sales. The S didn't sell as well because when it was released there weren't as many games people were interested in. Now it's like "Do you want the new Xbox, or the old one?". Do we even know if the price difference between the two is huge there?

We're also talking about just a hair over 100k units sold between the two of them, and only a few hundred sales each per week. That makes it kind of hard to read too much into any of this.

Probably also has something to do with the fact that a lot of Japanese games have been coming to the Xbox platform lately (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, etc) which is likely driving a lot of those sales. The S didn't sell as well because when it was released there weren't as many games people were interested in. Now it's like "Do you want the new Xbox, or the old one?". Do we even know if the price difference between the two is huge there?

We're also talking about just a hair over 100k units sold between the two of them, and only a few hundred sales each per week. That makes it kind of hard to read too much into any of this.

The S was around for a year more than the X, so I don't see why that would be hard to read.

Also you do realize games like Final Fantasy came out before both the S and the X right? I think it sold less than 5,000 units too. I don't see any game that would cause the X to sell more I can only conclude that the power difference somehow caught the attraction of a small group of Japanese gamers.

jshackles

The S was around for a year more than the X, so I don't see why that would be hard to read.

Also you do realize games like Final Fantasy came out before both the S and the X right? I think it sold less than 5,000 units too. I don't see any game that would cause the X to sell more I can only conclude that the power difference somehow caught the attraction of a small group of Japanese gamers.
The only Final Fantasy games on Xbox before the X released were Type-0 HD and XV. One was a Vita port that runs like crap on every system, the other is popular but plays worse on the S than the base PS4.

Since the X released, the catalog of available games has expanded to World of Final Fantasy Maxima, Final Fantasy VII, VIII Remastered, IX, X, X-2, XII Zodiac Age (which runs with better performance on the X than on the PS4 Pro and includes content previously not available on the PS4 version). The backwards compatibility program on Xbox also has X Enhanced versions of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy (4K, 60fps) which might also be a draw for dedicated fans. Strangely - if you're a Final Fantasy fanatic like I am, the Xbox One X offers the best place to play the series at the moment and I feel like that probably has a pretty substantial influence over people's purchasing decisions there.

The system also got Kingdom Hearts III, Neir, etc so perhaps people there are starting to realize that the Xbox isn't just for shootybangs.

Enjay

Banned

Worst analogy ever.

Blade2.0

Could be that or could be Foreigners living in Japan are buying the X. No way to tell who it really is.

The only Final Fantasy games on Xbox before the X released were Type-0 HD and XV. One was a Vita port that runs like crap on every system, the other is popular but plays worse on the S than the base PS4.

Since the X released, the catalog of available games has expanded to World of Final Fantasy Maxima, Final Fantasy VII, VIII Remastered, IX, X, X-2, XII Zodiac Age (which runs with better performance on the X than on the PS4 Pro and includes content previously not available on the PS4 version). The backwards compatibility program on Xbox also has X Enhanced versions of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy (4K, 60fps) which might also be a draw for dedicated fans. Strangely - if you're a Final Fantasy fanatic like I am, the Xbox One X offers the best place to play the series at the moment and I feel like that probably has a pretty substantial influence over people's purchasing decisions there.

You're listing games that aren't even out, and the One S also has BC. FFXV being before both does matter since the majority of sales for it were probably on the Original Xbox One.

You can see that you're theory doesn't really work here but simply looking at the PS4 and the PS4 Pro. The price gap between both of those is smaller, furthermore the PS4 Pro is no where close to being ahead of the PS4 and hasn't reached 2 million sales yet.

On the Xbox end you the the more expensive Xbox One X with 9 times the sales of the Xbox One S. The One S also did little to stop declining sales after it's launch, but the Xbox One X increased them. You could say the Xbox One X basically extended the systems life in japan. I'm assuming the reason is the power increase, which can be beneficial for things like the BC you mentioned, but also it may be seen more like a new system related to the Xbox One and the One S instead of just an extension as it's seen over here in the US.

Looking at some of the Japanese commercials that does seem to be the case. I believe that Japan thinks of the Xbox One X as more powerful semi-new console that's compatible with Xbox One games.

This tells me that the Xbox Series X will either release really late in Japan or it won't release in japan because if they are marketing the Xbox One X as new and it's selling this poorly then releasing the Series X there next year would be a bad idea.

Could be that or could be Foreigners living in Japan are buying the X. No way to tell who it really is.

You'd have to be a troll to believe 200,000 foreigners are buying Xboxes in Japan. Especially since we have enough video and photos of events filled with Japanese fans that are clearly not foreigners.

Also what does that have to do with the X selling 9 times more than the S?

So, why don't you comment on it instead of me with stupid analogies then? I didn't see you commenting in the previous linked thread either but ok, sure, you can argue theoretically I guess. Chosen one, lol, do you really need to mock people like that person making actual effort in maintaining something like these sales databases properly for NeoGAF just because you thought my opinion of this thread/OP is too harsh? Oh no, evil Al3x1s told a person off or something, I'll just bring another person into it and mock him and his efforts just to get back at Al3x1s, that'll teach him and show how much better I am for defending another person! Lol?
I'll comment when I have something worthwhile to say. Either way I want data available, not locked away and reserved to a poster who takes it's time posting it.

Take a valium and chill, no need to get upset over nothing.

jshackles

You're listing games that aren't even out, and the One S also has BC. FFXV being before both does matter since the majority of sales for it were probably on the Original Xbox One.
Every game I listed in my post has already been released. The One S has BC but the games run at their original resolution and framerate. The X bumps these games (X Enhanced) up to 4K/60fps to the point that they feel like remasters.

I'm not claiming that these are reasons the X is outselling the S by such a large margin, just theorizing.

Every game I listed in my post has already been released. The One S has BC but the games run at their original resolution and framerate. The X bumps these games (X Enhanced) up to 4K/60fps to the point that they feel like remasters.

I'm not claiming that these are reasons the X is outselling the S by such a large margin, just theorizing.

I gave you information showing why I think your theory doesn't work. If BC never got any attention before why would the X version with a slight res bump manage to attract significantly more buyers? Don't forget those Final Fantasy BC games weren't at launch it took some times before those became Backwards compatible.

I'm not saying it didn't help but there were several weeks where the Xbox One X sold over 1,000 consoles and I'm curious as to why. I know Forza Horizon 4 had short term attention but I wonder if what other titles helped give the X such an advantage. My guess as I said before, is that the Japanese may look at the Xbox One X has more of a new console than most other countries since that's what some of the advertising seems to be conveying.

Top Bottom