• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu sales week 15

Woopah

Again, no point in arguing since you believe masculinity can defined by people however they wish, so whatever I say you'll just say that it's a subjective matter, etc. It would make sense to talk about this of you at least had your own set definition of masculinity, otherwise we're just wasting time. Let's not waste each others time.
It wouldn't be a waste of time if you gave me some definition or example of what a masculine game was, then we could discuss whether this game's lack of success in Japan was down to its masculinity or whether other factors were at play. But as you continually refuse to do this lets leave it here.

Reindeer

It wouldn't be a waste of time if you gave me some definition or example of what a masculine game was, then we could discuss whether this game's lack of success in Japan was down to its masculinity or whether other factors were at play. But as you continually refuse to do this lets leave it here.
I already mentioned that there are other factors at play as well, like 80% of Japanese gamers playing on mobile, etc. My point about Japanese entertainment culture bring dominated by unmasculine theme and they role it plays in what games are purchased there still stands.

SirTerry-T

Not sure why you not caring about games being mature or masculine have anything to do with the topic. If you don't care then don't comment. If you think Mario games are masculine then hey, nothing I can do there. I play Mario too, it's fun sometimes. I certainly ain't gonna say a cute kid friendly platformer is masculine or anything.
To be honest, I think this is a conversation you should be having on a therapists couch rather than a videogame forum.

Woopah

I already mentioned that there are other factors at play as well, like 80% of Japanese gamers playing on mobile, etc. My point about Japanese entertainment culture bring dominated by unmasculine theme and they role it plays in what games are purchased there still stands.
Let's look at some sales charts in some western countries then. If we say that 0 of the best selling games in Japan in March have masculine themes, which of the below games count as having masculine themes? Then we can compare.

US

tb8HC98.jpg

Germany
vpG8UnH.jpg

Last edited:

Kerotan

If I had to guess I'd say Marvelous wanted to get Story of Seasons out before the end of their fiscal year and so rushed it. With the Rune Factory 4 port for Switch doing 62,000 it does bode well for the sequel being the most successful one in the franchise (RF4 on 3DS did 183,445 across all versions so that's the target to beat).

If you count the Wii U as a traditional home console then I think the Wii would count as one too.
I counted the Wii U because it was at least HD but maybe you're right. The last real traditional console was the Game Cube.

Reindeer

Let's look at some sales charts in some western countries then. If we say that 0 of the best selling games in Japan in March have masculine themes, which of the below games count as having masculine themes? The we can compare.

US

tb8HC98.jpg

Germany
vpG8UnH.jpg
I like how you snuck in German chart that's similar to Japanese chart lol. Sorry dude, I'm not taking the bait.

Woopah

I like how you snuck in German chart that's similar to Japanese chart lol. Sorry dude, I'm not taking the bait.
How did I "sneak" it in? I put in two countries which recently gave us monthly data and labelled them very clearly. Its not bait, its data.

I can also use the weekly Italy, UK, Spain or Switzerland charts if you'd prefer? (we have France as well but they only give us top 5 so its not very useful.) You pick the data and tell me which games count as having masculine themes

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

You must be really bored if all you can add to conversion is a sly dig.
It's not really a dig..just a bit of banter. Apologies if it caused offense.
I'm having difficulty trying to understand why the perceived masculinity of a videogame would be considered so important to whether you would play it or not. To me, for something as ultimately trivial as a videogame it seems ridiculous but each to their own, etc.

Reindeer

It's not really a dig..just a bit of banter. Apologies if it caused offense.
I'm having difficulty trying to understand why the perceived masculinity of a videogame would be considered so important to whether you would play it or not. To me, for something as ultimately trivial as a videogame it seems ridiculous but each to their own, etc.
It was simply an observation, no different then talking about effect of western culture of "inclusivity and representation" on sales and purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirTerry-T

Not interested after some people in this thread said Mario games are masculine. I'm not interested in getting into this knowing this is what some people think here.
See now this is what makes me think that therapist couch maybe not a bad idea after all. Why is this such an issue for you?
It's just videogames lad.

Reindeer

See now this is what makes me think that therapist couch maybe not a bad idea after all. Why is this such an issue for you?
It's just videogames lad.
Why do you have a problem with me stating something that's factually correct? I wasn't the one that brought up Mario being masculine, I simply rejected that notion because it's incorrect. Are you having Mario issues yourself? Does he make you masculine? Am I offending masculine Mario?

noshten

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2020 Top 20:
  1. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 1.233.023
  2. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 556.982
  3. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 304.963
  4. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 269.648
  5. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 207.472
  6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 167.411
  7. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 137.513
  8. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 133.978
  9. Trials of Mana (Square Enix) - 112.277
  10. Derby Stallion (Game Addict) - 108.570
  11. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (Sega) - 97.056
  12. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 95.802
  13. Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 87.440
  14. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 84.814
  15. Persona 5 Strikers (Atlus) - 79.250
  16. Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition (Microsoft ) - 76.784
  17. Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) - 75.696
  18. Shin Megami Tensei III (Atlus) - 68.280
  19. Super Bomberman R (Konami) - 65.234
  20. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix) - 64.687
TOTAL: 4.026.880

Famitsu Switch 3rd Parties 2021 Top 20:
  1. Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) - 1.774.063
  2. Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 868.482
  3. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (Marvelous) – 269.842
  4. Minecraft (Microsoft) - 189.479
  5. Bravely Default II (Square Enix) – 134.858
  6. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (Marvelous) - 65.620
  7. Little Nightmares II (Bandai Namco) - 62.297
  8. Fitness Boxing 2 (Imagineer) - 55.267
  9. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 54.243
  10. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Koei Tecmo) - 53.364
  11. Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 49.745
  12. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Sega) - 36.105
  13. Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) - 35.273
  14. Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 34.007
  15. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 30.652
  16. Densha de Go!! (Square Enix) - 29.624
  17. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 (Konami) - 26.149
  18. Disgaea 6 (Nippon Ichi) - 25.744
  19. Apex Legends (Electronic Arts) - 21.082
  20. The Quintessential Quintuplets (Mages.) - 20.374
TOTAL: 3.836.270

Next week Third Parties would have surpassed the total sales the Top 20 achieved last year, I would expect the Top 20 for this year to end up over 10 million, which would be close or surpassing the combined total of the Top 20 for the previous 4 years(which is 10.92 million).

Last edited:

Reindeer

I didn't expect someone who preaches so much about masculinity can't even come out with some examples instead of scouring like a little bitch dodging, empty quoting at that.
I've seen enough ridiculousness here when it comes to people's idea of what masculinity is, I don't need it from you as well. Go seek attention elsewhere. The only little bitch here is you, throwing insults over a same comfort of internet and all.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've seen enough ridiculousness here when it comes to people's idea of what masculinity is, I don't need it from you as well. Go seek attention elsewhere. The only little bitch here is you, throwing insults over a same comfort of internet and all.
You are only one here generalizing just because it doesn’t fit your personal “masculinity”. To me it feels like you are trying too hard to sound “mature” but its having opposite effect.

Reindeer

You are only one here generalizing just because it doesn’t fit your personal “masculinity”. To me it feels like you are trying too hard to sound “mature” but its having opposite effect.
Why would I wanna talk about masculinity with people that think kiddie games like Mario, Pokémon and Animal Crossing are masculine. Seriously.

Danjin44

Why would I wanna talk about masculinity with people that think kiddie games like Mario, Pokémon and Animal Crossing are masculine. Seriously.
Who the fuck gives about which game is "masculine"? I don't play games to feel "masculine", I play games to enjoy myself.

Do you play games just so you feel "manly" or something? I don't about you but I'm waaaay past that age.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Who the fuck gives about which game is "masculine"? I don't play games to feel "masculine", I play games to enjoy myself.

Do you play games just so you feel "mainly" or something? I don't about you but I'm waaaay past that age.
If you don't care then don't comment. I don't get people like you that get heavily into discussion and then say "who cares". You obviously cared enough to keep commenting. If you don't care then you can easily ignore comments like mine. If you are past that age then that's good for you, sorry that I don't have a medal for you.

Danjin44

If you don't care then don't comment. I don't get people like you that get heavily into discussion and then say "who cares". You obviously cared enough to keep commenting. If you don't care then you can easily ignore comments like mine.
You miss my point there, majority of people who are in to video games play games to enjoy not to feel "manly".

Last edited:

Reindeer

You miss my point there, majority of people who are in to video games play games to enjoy not to feel "manly".
I didn't say people play games to feel manly, lol. I said Japanese entertainment culture is unmasculine in many regards, which likely plays a role (among other factors) on type of games that are popular there. Look, we're just going around in circles and you obviously don't care about this like you said, so let's just give it a rest.

Danjin44

I didn't say people play games to feel manly, lol. I said Japanese entertainment culture is unmasculine in many regards, which likely plays a role (among other factors) on type of games that are popular there. Look, we're just going around in circles and you obviously don't care about this like you said, so let's just give it a rest.
I said this before, you are just generalizing based on what you personally consider “masculine”.

Reindeer

I said this before, you are just generalizing based on what you personally consider “masculine”.
That's the problem here, everyone seems to have their own idea of what masculinity is, which is not what I believe in (something I stated earlier) and therefore there's no point in discussing this topic any further. How many times must I state this?

I find it very funny how people around here are so ok with criticising negative aspects of western culture, but say something about Japan and all these anime avatars come at you like you killed their mother or something, lol.

Danjin44

That's the problem here, everyone seems to have their own idea of what masculinity is, which is not what I believe in (something I stated earlier) and therefore there's no point in discussing this topic any further. How many times must I state this?

I find it very funny how people are so ok with criticising negative aspects of western culture around here, but say something about Japan and all these anime avatars come at you like you killed their mother or something, lol.
Your so call “criticism” is about Japanese games don’t feel “manly” enough for you.

Reindeer

Your so call “criticism” is about Japanese games don’t feel “manly” enough for you.
I know you wanna spin it that way so you can attack me personally and not deal with the subject itself, but it has nothing to do with me. It's like saying criticism towards women being masculine in western videogames means I'm afraid of strong women or something. This is a typical tactic people use, seen it all before. You already said you don't care, why you keep going? I find people like you very strange.

Danjin44

I find people like you very strange.
What I find strange that you generalize them unmasculine just because they play animal crossing & Mario games, which in west they also play animal crossing and Mario games and most popular games in west is mostly Fortnite and Mindcraft.

What is logic behind that exactly?.....I mean you do know games like Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter and Souls series all come from Japan right?

Reindeer

What I find strange that you generalize them unmasculine just because they play animal crossing & Mario games, which in west they also play animal crossing and Mario games and most popular games in west is mostly Fortnite and Mindcraft.

What is logic behind that exactly?.....I mean you do know games like Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter and Souls series all come from Japan right?
In other parts of the world mature games sell well along with games like Mario and Animal Crossing, something you can't really say for Japan generally speaking.

Sure those games come from Japan, but they sell better elsewhere. Monster Hunter is hardly a masculine game btw. MH is a teen game that has many characters looking like K-pop stars, hardly masculine stuff, lol.

Reindeer

Oh yes fighting giant monsters is so girly, what was I thinking!?
It's not about that, it's about characters in the game, lol. I seriously think you don't get it, which makes this whole argument even more ridiculous. You probably think K-pop band lookalikes in FF15 are masculine because they fight monsters, etc. By that logic we can say a game about Barbie fighting dinosaurs is masculine.. Seriously dude, I'm done here. This is why I see no benefit discussing this topic.

MagnesG

Banned
In other parts of the world mature games sell well along with games like Mario and Animal Crossing, something you can't really say for Japan generally speaking.

Sure those games come from Japan, but they sell better elsewhere. Monster Hunter is hardly a masculine game btw. MH is a teen game that has many characters looking like K-pop stars, hardly masculine stuff, lol.
Then say it, what games that feel masculine enough for you, which also sold better elsewhere. Let's see how much of a clown you are.

You must have been lacking so much of testosterone that you also desperately needing it in games, when everything are just for having fun.

Reindeer

Then say it, what games that feel masculine enough for you, which also sold better elsewhere. Let's see how much of a clown you are.

You must have been lacking so much of testosterone that you also desperately needing it in games, when everything are just for having fun.
I see you're back with personal insults... Was it so painful that you were being ignored that you started to act like a little bitch? Like I said, go seek attention elsewhere, child, I care not what your immature self thinks about this.

MagnesG

Banned
I see you're back with personal insults... Was it so painful that you were being ignored that you started to act like a little bitch? Like I said, go seek attention elsewhere, child, I care not what your immature self thinks about this.
Lol, we wouldn't have to be in this discussion if you are actually mature and not coming out with this kind of bullshit in the first place. Your narrative has been flawed from the start; you can't even come out with a single example because you know you're fooling yourself by going into the rabbit hole.

You're an insult as much as those woke people who needed checkmarks for every single game they touch, else it would be offensive ____phobic to them. It is easier to just label things at your pace amirite.

Reindeer

Lol, we wouldn't have to be in this discussion if you are actually mature and not coming out with this kind of bullshit in the first place. Your narrative has been flawed from the start; you can't even come out with a single example because you know you're fooling yourself by going into the rabbit hole.

You're an insult as much as those woke people who needed checkmarks for every single game they touch, else it would be offensive ____phobic to them. It is easier to just label things at your pace amirite.
You talking about maturity yet were the one who started to resort to personal attacks and insults. Oh wow, how mature of you, you hypocrite. Why would I wanna have discussion about anything with immature clown like you? Stop looking for attention, I have no care for you or your opinions.

MagnesG

Banned
You talking about maturity yet were the one who started to resort to personal attacks and insults. Oh wow, how mature of you, you hypocrite. Why would I wanna have discussion about anything with immature clown like you? Stop looking for attention, I have no care for you or your opinions.
Yes, yes keep dodging. Relax, when I'm wasting my time dealing with trolls, I need to accompany it with some jabs so that it's worth my time. What about you? Feeling good about your masculinity already? What games have you played recently that strike up your testosterone rate?

nordique

Have to imagine Sony is prioritizing shipping consoles to bigger markets atm. Any chance someone in Japan can say if it’s in stock anywhere just chilling and not selling?

correct me if I’m wrong
But isn’t Japan the second largest gaming marking after the US?

noshten

correct me if I’m wrong
But isn’t Japan the second largest gaming marking after the US?
  1. China
  2. USA
  3. Japan

Last edited:

nordique

1. China
  2. USA
  3. Japan

Thanks ^^

Then, is Sony prioritizing shipping consoles to China?
US I get. But other than China what other market than the US is bigger than Japan? What other market would Sony prioritize?

Mozza

The main reason for the PS5 and PS4's console and software's poorer performance in Japan is Sony themselves, they just realize the biggest market is the western one, and just like Microsoft have gotten into bed with all the major western development studios, even it's first party development teams are from these regions.

Japan has now become a mobile game market now and of course Nintendo and t'ts most successful consoles fit right into this template, also the Japanese like to support their own development studios and games, and even mega hits like Grand theft auto fail to sell massive numbers in the region, I don't thing it's down to the maturity of the title as Japanese studios do make more mature themed games as well, it's just he Japanese buying public just like to support Japanese consoles and games.

Nintendo are pretty much a perfect fit for this market as most of their top selling games are either first party or from Japanese developers.

Top Bottom