• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_rus

Yeah, I'm sure that Xbox Two will have BC*

* If it will be based on x86 CPUs again and not some ARM core. If not then what can you do?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's certainly possible, just enormously difficult to do.

If they ever emulate 360, hopefully they emulate OG Xbox too... That should be super easy now... But I think they'd still have to pay nvidia

Lucreto

If it is like the PS3 trying to run PS2 games using emulation they have to do it title by title which means paying someone to get these games to work and get no financial benefits out of it.

They would lost money on games like the Master Chief collection where it would be cheaper to get the game second hand and play using backward compatible than shell out the $60 for the set.

DopeyFish

And emulating the 3.2Ghz CPU 6 threads will make it hard with six 1.6Ghz cores.
Time will tell.

Also there is the consideration of the EDRAM and it's attached logic.

While emulating the logic via GPGPU should be easy, the bandwidth between the logic and EDRAM was enormous.

Should be interesting to see if they can do it or not.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And emulating the 3.2Ghz CPU 6 threads will make it hard with six 1.6Ghz cores.
Time will tell.

Exactly, I can't see it working without additional hardware as the clock-speed differential I think will be an absolute bear to workaround. Especially a multi-core processor where losing synchronization across cores will cause all kinds of strange effects.

Bundy

Banned
sF6RJZN.jpg

Backwards compatibility in the form of a streaming service? Or in the form of remastered (or just a light touch up) of highly requested games?

Guevara

I can't believe the reactions in this thread. It seems like some people in this thread honestly expect Phil to get on stage next week and announce full bc.

Phil continues to agree with everything and promise the world. No surprises here when nothing comes of it.

Normally I'd agree, but he's promised nothing here. He's simply said he agrees with the write up and that that the person should continue to push for BC.

Hardly the same as his teasing with Phantom Dust, Crackdown, etc.

Srs bizness up in here now, can't doubt the lord and saviour of Xbox.

It's a joke about how he agrees with everything these days, you do realise you can't promise someone the world? It's impossible.

post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

First of all its not about not doubting Phil Spencer. I doubt Phil until he delivers. Second you made a post that was just wrong and then tried to pass it off as a joke when it wasn't. Phil doesn't promise anything he just responds to people on twitter. This is a clear example of that.

Jito

Banned
post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

First of all its not about not doubting Phil Spencer. I doubt Phil until he delivers. Second you made a post that was just wrong and then tried to pass it off as a joke when it wasn't. Phil doesn't promise anything he just responds to people on twitter. This is a clear example of that.

You're just over reacting now, it was a joke. I know he didn't promise anything, was just a comment on his trend to agree a lot with people OR promise things. Not saying he promised anything here. Jeez.

Guevara

Who says that?
Well, since you asked:
Here's to hoping at E3 :)
This would be a megaton if it came to the Xbox One and they announced it at E3 IMO.
This would be a megaton if it came to the Xbox One and they announced it at E3 IMO.
Agreed, it would make a "eventually will buy when it hits 300" purchase into a "buy immediately" one.
If this were to be announced at E3 it would be a great move on Microsoft's part. It would be a clear distinction for all those 360 owners out there who might be considering buying a PS4 instead of an XB1.
If this happens, Microsoft will win E3

Pretty sure Phil will agree to just about anything at this point. Someone ask him if we'll see the last guardian on the xbone at e3.
At this point I don't even care what it comes out on.

I don't really see backwards compatibility ever coming, though. Why allow that when you can just sell remasters like how Sony did with PS2 games?

a.wd

The reason I haven't given a slight shit about the next gen is the lack of BC. I don't think they are announcing it but its good he realises that people really want it.

Gildarts

Banned
Emulating games? Yes. You can emulate most ps2 games with ps3 cfw. But you have to count with problems

But hardware wise? Like the fat ps3? Nah. Unless they want to rise the price again?

CoryCubed

This is what is holding me off on Xbox One. I had way to many download titles, especially arcade and maybe I was naive in them transferring over, but it still sucks. So I've just been going with Steam as much as I can now. I have more faith in being able to move my stuff to a new PC later then the Xbox Twoiie or whatever.

avaya

278gb/s eDRAM vs ESRAM = clusterfuck.

Not a chance in hell for hardware backward compat. Cloud based? Maybe.

U2NUMB

Could they not have a system in place that could at least recognize the disc you put in and then you stream the game similar to Playstation Now?

DopeyFish

Is it possible with the hardware? Would be pretty big if this landed at E3.

Yeah, it is possible. The question is if they were to do it, would they be able to make a one solution fits all approach or would they be forced to do it game by game? Likely the latter.

It probably wouldn't be perfect, either. But at least this time there would be the benefit of straight resolution support! (Since every game had to support 720p)

Basically, give the man a chance, he's been in power for no more than a couple of months or so. Why the hell you expecting instant results. And have you ignored all the other good shit he's done recently?

What "good shit" has he done recently? Removing the kinect? I'm pretty sure it was higher ups who gave the go ahead for that. And I'm pretty sure people who bought into Microsoft's vision of "kinect = integral part" aren't happy with the change.

Miles X

What "good shit" has he done recently? Removing the kinect? I'm pretty sure it was higher ups who gave the go ahead for that. And I'm pretty sure people who bought into Microsoft's vision of "kinect = integral part" aren't happy with the change.

Kinect, App Paywall, Focus on games.You're pretty sure? I mean do you work there or something?

RayMaker

Banned
I'am with the same investment MS spent on the X1 controller, MS engineers could find a way to emulate the xenon on the X1 CPU, The GPU should be compatible with the 360's GPU.

EmpReb

Banned
I'am with the same investment MS spent on the X1 controller, MS engineers could find a way to emulate then xenon, The GPU should be compatible with the 360's GPU.
If they pull this off.... Yup I am going to be buying all those 360 titles that are must haves right after rebuying the xbone...

Tommy DJ

Yeah, it is possible. The question is if they were to do it, would they be able to make a one solution fits all approach or would they be forced to do it game by game? Likely the latter.

It probably wouldn't be perfect, either. But at least this time there would be the benefit of straight resolution support! (Since every game had to support 720p)

Of course its possible. Making the emulator run roughly as well as a native Xbox 360 is a different story.

Its not feasibly possible unless there's some secret sauce in the Xbone that helps with emulation. The APU itself is too weak and different to straight up brute force emulate decade old consoles like an Intel processor can.

level44

I think it'll probably be the latter like the 360 but would still be pretty huge. I think BC can easily sway someone who's on the end of picking up a console.

mcrommert

Banned
BTW the original title was "Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One - Phil Spencer Approves " for those who asked

My point with this thread was that Phil Spencer seems to highlight things that are coming to xbox with his obfuscated tweets. He mentioned getting rid of app paywall in a very similar way a weeks before it happened. If nothing was going to happen, why wouldn't he ignore the tweet? He gets thousands and thousands of tweets and only responds to a few dozen each week

This on top of the mention of backwards compatibility at Build makes me believe that it is in the pipeline in some form. I don't think that would be streamed games as that is not bc. I think it is believable that it could be with a hardware addon for the xbone as such a thing was rumored for a while.

And for those who are saying on this thread that such a feat with the xbox hardware would be impossible, I would love to hear your qualifications...the gentleman who said there were plans was Frank Savage who is a development lead at Xbox...more likely to believe his opinion

Again if there were no plans to do so why would they keep mentioning it?

Ubersnug

Well, assuming he had the last word in these-

Dropping gold paywall
Games for gold on Xone
Rise of nations acquisition? (Guessing)
Unbundling kinect (despite me not really agreeing with that one)
Gears of war franchise being purchased out right
Fable anniversary coming to PC

Did I miss anything?

anderedna

Plug in your 360 into X1 HDMI-In port and you could play 360 game in 1080p with their superior upscaler. Microsoft just need to announce this in E3 and call it done.

Seriously, Microsoft might be able to do BC with X1. Just spawn another VM and try to emulate 360 hardware closely in it. They might be able to pull it off, but it won't be in near future. Might be after 2 or 3 years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom