• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, assuming he had the last word in these-

Dropping gold paywall
Games for gold on Xone
Rise of nations acquisition? (Guessing)
Unbundling kinect (despite me not really agreeing with that one)
Gears of war franchise being purchased out right
Fable anniversary coming to PC

Did I miss anything?

It seems more likely these were marching orders passed down from his higher ups and he's just the public face. It's why I don't understand why he's getting so much credit and why Mattrick got so much blame (outside of him being craptastic at PR.) Maybe I'm wrong.

pr0cs

I don't believe it...
but I would buy an XBO or a PS4 if I knew a large portion of my gaming library would be supported by BC.

Right now I have zero incentive to buy anything on PSN or XBL since they orphaned all my purchases from last gen, providing BC would show that they're at least cognizant of all the money people spent last gen and that "use your old system" is not an attractive response for the issue.

meanspartan

Backwards compatibility is the most over-requested and under-used feature out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it because why not, but people beg and beg for it but then most people just play current gen games anyway.

turnbuckle

Not likely unless they're talking about some kind of streaming solution (which is no solution at all, imo.) But if this indeed were true and was done well through hardware or software it'd get me to buy an xb1 way way sooner than I originally planned...assuming you had access to your old xbla and other digital purchases. Love to be able to play rock band and all that crazy dlc I purchased (several hundreds) as well as things like geometry wars and Pac man through a single box.

dcx4610

Before both the PS4 and XB1 came out, there were rumors and I believe even patents showing external drives that could be connected to the systems to allow for backwards compatibility.

The external drive would have the original 360 chipset onboard and not much else. If they would offer this for around $99, I would totally buy one for both systems and retire my old consoles.

Other than streaming, that's the only way I can see it happening.

ValeYard

Just let me play Geometry Wars one and two on the One, and I'd be happy, although I already have one on Steam, but you know...

Seriously though, that Build keynote makes BC sound difficult but not completely unlikely. It's in the Q&A at 57:40.

Before last E3 my guy that had the rumble triggers right and a couple other smaller things.. (he had some stuff wrong too) but he said that BC would happen for sure. Just not for every single game. And then it never happened. Not sure how he was so wrong on that one. He sounded so confident in his writings to me.

I'm sure this won't happen though. Would be awesome though.

turnbuckle

Backwards compatibility is the most over-requested and under-used feature out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it because why not, but people beg and beg for it but then most people just play current gen games anyway.

I imagine the people that want it use it and the people that are ambivalent don't. My vita would be very sad if I didn't have bc support. I only bought used ps3s because I made sure to get hardware bc models. Then pay to repair as necessary.

TheKayle

Banned
theres nothing blame? ...we will invent something to blame then!

he just gave a nice answer to an xbox fan...if this is wrong...kill me

TheKayle

Banned
It seems more likely these were marching orders passed down from his higher ups and he's just the public face. It's why I don't understand why he's getting so much credit and why Mattrick got so much blame (outside of him being craptastic at PR.) Maybe I'm wrong.

no those things are stuff that Mattrick add to the xb1 package....Spencer cut it all off

If this happened it would push Sony to allow PS2 and PS1 disc based back compat for PS4, so I'm all for it.

how do you figure?

if in the offchance that ps4 gets ps1/ps2/vita/ps3/pocketstation support I would be surprised if it needs anything other than requiring an internet connection and paying them an unknown fee

they (probably) dont care about disc based anything. PSNow proves that already

RayMaker

Banned

Very true, Once I get a new gen system its like going from blu ray back to dvd when a play a last gen system.

I am not suggesting a hardware add on, I am saying it is more than technically feasible without emulation.

You were talking about a system on a chip. How is that not a hardware add on?
Or do you think early adopters would be fine if not only did they get butt-fucked on the force bundled kinect, but they got BOHICAed on a cheaper hardware SKU that has full BC that they don't?

EmpReb

Banned
why are you going to rebuy an X1?
Cause I had one and compared to my PC it sucked in every way. Though Forza 5 was fun and kind of miss it. I got a full refund since it was around Christmas. And I play Titanfall on PC so really I have not been missing out but I would love to be able to replay AC6 and Bayonetta and few other non halo exclusives again since I got ride of my 360 a few weeks ago. I was not playing that but I would consider the Xbone worth hoping on if Full BC was in the cards and no kinetic and Forza Horizon 2 looks totally like a the racing game I have been wanting to play.

Its really a combo of reasons I am interested in the XBone again but as more of exclusives that PC can't fill. I have that Halo ich and Destiny is not going to fill it. Sorry but its too much MMO and not enough bang bang and it not being on PC is BS. Halo I can understand and am willing to pay to play it on Xbox but Destiny is joke for not being on PC. We would eat it up.... Oh well This E3 looks way fun now.

Or do you think early adopters would be fine if not only did they get butt-fucked on the force bundled kinect, but they got BOHICAed on a cheaper hardware SKU that has full BC that they don't?

I was buttfucked on something I wanted?!?!?!?

Well, assuming he had the last word in these-

Dropping gold paywall
Games for gold on Xone
Rise of nations acquisition? (Guessing)
Unbundling kinect (despite me not really agreeing with that one)
Gears of war franchise being purchased out right
Fable anniversary coming to PC

Did I miss anything?
He publicly said when they dropped the paywall and Kinect that it was in the works for a while and it wasn't his masterplan, which I admire him for saying so.

Would have been too easy to come into the job, announce a plan that had been in the oven for a while and go 'yep, look at me I am the savour!'

Same for Games with Gold, that was always coming and announced pretty much when the console was launched, so I don't see how that can be attributed to him.

The games related items, given his previous position were probably his doing, though.

We'll begin to see the fruits of his labour for the wider Xbox brand at E3. We'll see what he is giving priority to and therefore the direction he wants to take Xbox in and then in 2015 we'll begin to see first hand what he is bringing to the table.

As they now have the underdog tag with a probable good budget to back an attack, it will be interesting times ahead.

Not until 2015 though at least.

I dunno man. The same way the PS3 emulated the PS2? PS3 games could barely run PS3 games at a decent framerate/resolution but it still did emulate the PS2.

I'm talking about software BC here not HW BC since you can see as of right now there's plenty of PS2 classics on the PS3.
I was about to quote you saying that the original PS3s contained Emotion Engine chips but yeah, I wonder how they run the PS2 classics. Interesting.

It would be real niche, but I'd love something that plays PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita and stacks under the PS4, especially if it could share the power and video connections.

Phil was the best choice for head of Xbox
You can think about him what you want , but seems to have a lot of dedication for the Xbox & gaming

domlolz

Banned
gfwl fanboys exist?

jbo9hKVZxLRXHB.png

Even though having backwards compatibility is a nice bullet-point, is it worth it?

I mean didn't some statistics or at least someone from sony say that the addition of ps2 compatibility in the ps3 was not worth the extra price or effort because the actual usage was very low? I seem to remember reading it but I don't know where.

I think a good middle-way would be following: Make a hardware add-on which enables local backwards compatibility. I know it sounds like doomed to failiure but hear me out. Like I wrote above I remember reading that backwards compatibility was not used much with the ps3, so the majority of the users don't care much. This means integrating this feature in every console is not logical. But there is a small group of users that want and use this. I assume that this group would go even that far as to buy a hardware add-on to get that feature. This way everyone gets what they want. The majority who doesn't care, pays less for what they want and the minority who is willing to cash up for this extra gets what it wants.

Still, I don't think sony/ms/nintendo will do aforementioned. They are about money. And an add-on for the niche clientel doesn't scream gangbusters.
Therefore I assume things will stay the way they are: Guaranteed sellers will get HD remakes or PSN-style paying for patched old-gen games.
This is financially the only logical solution.

bwrobins

Banned

Early adopters often lose out. The first hardware revision of the XBone could add the functionality.

People are use to old school buy a console and use it for 10 years. I think Apple got it right. Release new hardware yearly with updates such as backwards compatibility. And have game support certain revisions of hardware. Doing a revision style like the iPhone allows for the console market to compete with the PC market as well as contiuing to drive sales...

I am sure the first iPhone users thought they were being screwed when the first revision came out, but that is the only progressive way of thinking in terms of keeping the console business competitive. Remember your phone typically costs more than your console when not subsidized.

bwrobins

Banned

Show me the data to support your claim, otherwise it is unfounded.

Also remember the amount of praise Sony got when they accidently switched on backwards compatibility for all PS1 and PSP games for the Vita. It seems like a lot of people like replaying their old games on a new console without having to repurchase.

Nintendo is one of the only progressive models for consoles. As they charged a nominal fee for moving Wii VC games from the Wii to the WiiU.

Can you imagine if you had to repurchase your favorite android or apple games every time you got a new phone? Consoles are stuck in non-progressive ideals and there followers cannot break the mold of thinking.

Early adopters often lose out. The first hardware revision of the XBone could add the functionality.

People are use to old school buy a console and use it for 10 years. I think Apple got it right. Release new hardware yearly with updates such as backwards compatibility. And have game support certain revisions of hardware. Doing a revision style like the iPhone allows for the console market to compete with the PC market as well as contiuing to drive sales...

I am sure the first iPhone users thought they were being screwed when the first revision came out, but that is the only progressive way of thinking in terms of keeping the console business competitive. Remember your phone typically costs more than your console when not subsidized.

But consoles aren't subsidised. That's a pretty significant difference. A difference in everything relating to consoles in the entirety of their business model.

Flintty

I'd love for this to happen, I'm running out of space around my TV (I have an incoming Wii U which will further complicate things!) so it would be nice to relegate the 360 to the bedroom. I wont get my hopes up though.

BibiMaghoo

Xbox Now?

Better than nothing at all I think. Hardware is out, which leaves only shaky software emu or streaming. Streaming would be less work I would imagine, but cost more if they didn't already have servers in place, which they do.

mike4001_

Before both the PS4 and XB1 came out, there were rumors and I believe even patents showing external drives that could be connected to the systems to allow for backwards compatibility.

The external drive would have the original 360 chipset onboard and not much else. If they would offer this for around $99, I would totally buy one for both systems and retire my old consoles.

Other than streaming, that's the only way I can see it happening.

Would actually be possible.

Use the internal Xbox One Drive, get Data out via USB and then use HDMI in (with no lag) to get the image ;)

Problem maybe that the BR Drive of the Xbox One is not fast enough in DVD mode (does not have 8x)

Flintty

I remember that. What ever happened to the 'upgradeable console' patents?

I can see them fully supporting the original Xbox games unlike the 360 did, but BC compatibility with 360 games? Probably nah.

Alchemy

Phil will say whatever he can in a public setting that is pro-gamer, that is the entire point of his appointment to the position. He is supposed to be the 'gamers man' in Microsoft right now.

JayEH

Lol at the title change. (I assume it was changed)

Really though, these non news threads have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom