• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans: Bring Xenoblade, TLS, Pandora to US | NoA: lol no | NoE: Come here instead!

creid

A XB-related tweet from Soraya Saga, can anyone translate?

そういえば、シュルクのアハハハハは欧州版では、どうなるんだろう? #Xenoblade

Google translate says:

Speaking of which, in the version Shulk Ahahahaha of Europe will not happen? # Xenoblade

I have a feeling it's closer to:

Speaking of which, in the European version Shulk's Ahahahaha will not happen? # Xenoblade

Does he have a distinctive laugh or something?

Javier

Now we wait until the Q3 releases are revealed, which should be around next week. Last year it was on July 15, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, here)

For the record, Nintendo is releasing nothing in the July-September period? The only one that comes to mind is Star Fox 64 3D.

Aeana

creid said:
A XB-related tweet from Soraya Saga, can anyone translate?

Google translate says:

I have a feeling it's closer to:

Does he have a distinctive laugh or something?
Yes, he says ahahahaha all the time. Fiorun is always like fufufufufu too. She's wondering what they'll do with it in the European version.

EDIT: Well, actually I only remember it happening in one scene, so maybe not "all the time."

Shiggy

Javier said:
Now we wait until the Q3 releases are revealed, which should be around next week. Last year it was on July 15, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, here)

For the record, Nintendo is releasing nothing in the July-September period? The only one that comes to mind is Star Fox 64 3D.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Starfox 64 3D
Mystery Case Files

Edit: Oh well, you might be talking about NoA.

Foffy

Banned
Javier said:

- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 (August)
- Kirby Mass Attack (September)
- Star Fox 64 3D (September)

Nothing at all for July.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Eep, curve ball.. possible NoA announcement incoming?

FOOF THE DOUBLE CURVE.. NoE pushes up their release date?

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Fat Goron

Shiggy said:
(games with mass market appeal such as Layton are a bit different).

Which is really strange, since the US version of Layton still has the british accent..... and the voice acting is better than in the EU version.

Can't figure out why the hell they did another voice work for these titles....

D-don't worry guys...I'm sure Xenoblade will show up next Spring! There's gotta be something they have planned for the Wii. At the very least, an internally made game should be localized...

...And then Disaster will follow in the fall! I mean, with the whole "world ending on 2012" bull putting out a game like Disaster would be like, the best time to do it. It would sell itself.

Ahahahahahahaha....

;_;

Roto13

Fat Goron said:
Which is really strange, since the US version of Layton still has the british accent..... and the voice acting is better than in the EU version.

Can't figure out why the hell they did another voice work for these titles....
The accents in the Layton games are pleasing to American ears but they're somewhat... questionable... to people who hear real English accents every day. :p

RPGCrazied

I wouldn't put it passed Nintendo to release this next year for NA. Screw that. If EU is getting it next month, my ass is importing.

Orayn

Princess Skittles said:
Eep, curve ball.. possible NoA announcement incoming?

FOOF THE DOUBLE CURVE.. NoE pushes up their release date?

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.
lNwQV.jpg

If it does come out in the U.S. months after the EU release, there better be Baten Kaitos Origins quality-level american-english dubbing to account for the delay.

pgtl_10

I don't mind foreign accents and in Xenoblade's case prefer it. Foreign actors worked well for Spartacus where as Brad Pitt in Troy didn't work out so well. Some genres are better done worth foreign accents.

Yeeeeaahh... You know, as long as I can understand the language I could not care less if the speakers have an accent. How xenophobic can you get?

Fat Goron

Roto13 said:
The accents in the Layton games are pleasing to American ears but they're somewhat... questionable... to people who hear real English accents every day. :p

Oh, so that's why.... XD

I'm not even a native english speaker, so I couldn't tel.....

Mockingbird said:
If it does come out in the U.S. months after the EU release, there better be Baten Kaitos Origins quality-level american-english dubbing to account for the delay.

Stop! "It better be" -- NO. I just want it. Even if it's in shitty English.

daegan

If NOA is even considering it they have to announce soon. The people over here who do want it bad enough will import. The others won't care by the time it's out here.

sfried

Fat Goron said:
Actually Lani Minella voices Luke in the US version. Maria Darling does Luke in the EU. I personally like Ms. Darling's voice better, despite the fact that US Luke sounds closer to the the JP version.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Even if there is an NA release, it will be sometime down the road. I'm sticking with the EU version for now and may pick up the NA version sometime if it actually does materialize.

Sallokin

FTH said:
Hahaha, he reminds me of Seth MacFarlane!

heh, his argument sucks though. Sales data courtesy of Vgcharz.com :lol
Was just posting this exact same thing. It's too bad he doesn't have more reliable data because I'd love for a lot of that to be true.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wwm0nkey said:
saw this on Kotaku

Its like ear sex lol

Seriously though, the guy has a very valid statement.

A video that sources VG Chartz, like an image that sources VG Chartz, like a post that sources VG Chartz, is not permitted here.

As per FAQ forum:
"One site in particular, VG Chartz, tends to come up a lot. VG Chartz numbers are considered unreliable, and because sales discussions often degrade into console war-style arguments between posters, it's really important to us that accurate sales numbers are posted for discussion. Users are generally banned for posting VG Chartz numbers because of the way it derails threads and prevents good discussion."

I've taken the liberty of removing the links to the video.

Stumpokapow said:
A video that sources VG Chartz, like an image that sources VG Chartz, like a post that sources VG Chartz, is not permitted here.

As per FAQ forum:
"One site in particular, VG Chartz, tends to come up a lot. VG Chartz numbers are considered unreliable, and because sales discussions often degrade into console war-style arguments between posters, it's really important to us that accurate sales numbers are posted for discussion. Users are generally banned for posting VG Chartz numbers because of the way it derails threads and prevents good discussion."

I've taken the liberty of removing the links to the video.

I think the video was more for entertainment purposes than for trying to shove sales numbers in other people's faces. You should check it out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mockingbird said:
I think the video was more for entertainment purposes than for trying to shove sales numbers in other people's faces. You should check it out.

I don't think it's in good faith for me to respond to the video if I'm blocking people posting it. Feels like a "one last kick at the cat" kind of thing.

That being said, if someone wanted to advance the argument "Games released in both Japan and the US tend to sell better in the US, so they should be localized", I'd respond with two things.

First, that ignores currency exchange losses and indeed the prices games sell at in both countries. 50,000 Japanese sales are not directly equivalent to 50,000 US sales. Shareholders are literally badgering Nintendo at meetings to stop incurring foreign exchange losses. Now, whose fault is this? Nintendo's, of course. Not absolving them of blame in any way. If you keep getting hammered by foreign exchange issues, you need to change your holdings and try to source new contracts. But without absolving them of blame for that, if that's their situation, then it's a factor.

Secondly, it ignores the basic idea that you shouldn't throw good money after bad. Companies may be able to recoup losses on underperforming products by localizing them (or porting them or...) but often times this is not the strategy they pursue because they'd rather invest in new titles than waste time hedging losses they've already faced.

Now, with the JPY on another downswing, the first criticism might be blunted, and I don't think the second is necessarily true in the case of Xenoblade and TLS, but my point is that we extrapolate "It sold 16,000 in Japan and 50,000 in the US!!!!" into a point for localizing a game to the US.

As a frequent agitator about Nintendo's poor localization record, I think these games should be localized. I just don't think the central point is strong and it's certainly not strong if it's backed up by rolling a dice and yelling that the number that comes up is the number of copies the games sold.

seady

Nintendo is a very short-sighted company. Yes maybe they won't sell blockbuster like Zelda, but it's a start of a whole new franchise that will build up their mature-market library.

The first Uncharted, Wipeout or inFamous were not super big title, but they are now big name franchise that can stand on itself to fill a gap during summer or holiday.

Top Bottom