• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Picked this up on Friday. Never played a FarCry before. Over 15 hours later, and I love this game. Looks pretty decent on the PS3 as well:

IMAG0552.jpg

My favorite gun by far:
IMAG0557.jpg

Except you don't need more money than you naturally get while casually picking up stuff you run past, because you get almost every weapon for free from the radio towers. Ammo isn't THAT expensive. And the game is easy enough that the signature weapons aren't really needed. Skills and xp seem thrown in solely to offer rewards for otherwise meaningless tasks, as opposed to being an integral part of the game design. If you simply lifted them out of the game and left a few of the most useful ones in as default skills it would make almost no difference to the gameplay other than a curious lack of rewards. You're already capable of doing everything the game asks of you from the get-go, unlike for example in an RPG. As eatchildren put it:

i don't do radio towers, because they stopped being fun, so i buy weapons i want when i so desire..and you're talking out of your butt as far as XP is concerned, XP is extremely valuable in improving your character, its a fully realized rpg element that works,and taking over a base stealthily and getting a 1500 xp prize is satisfying EVERY TIME (until you've accessed all the skills) seriously, have you even PLAYED the game or are you forming all these opinions from looking on a wiki?

I'm finally putting some time into this game, and I just gotta say SSAO is one strange graphical effect; the more subtle it is, the more taxing it ends up being. I'm playing on DX9 so I'm forced with just SSAO and it's weird that there's no way to outright disable it in the game options, I don't know how a bold shadowy border around everything is supposed to look better. Thankfully I was able to outright disable it in the xml so it looks much better now.

Ledsen

The gun sounds are excellent. This game totally nailed how I like my AK47s. The weapon looks and moves like a heavy, metallic rifle of death. The animators, artists, and audio departments did an outstanding job with the weapons.

They do look and sound great, that's one thing really nailed, along with the first person body awareness. There's a distinct lack of recoil though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
MS16 (the last AR available before the second batch of guns).... It's basically a modern version of the M1 Garand used in WW2.

It's single shot only but super fast and has a silencer. Really nice weapon.

Problem is the thing seems to have an issue when you try to shoot and move forward at times making shots not come out. Its really weird its not a 100% bug but it does happen on occasion leading to some irritating situations.

MS16 (the last AR available before the second batch of guns).... It's basically a modern version of the M1 Garand used in WW2.

Yup! Love this gun. I like it more even than the other ARs that you unlock after it, if for no other reason than the fact that you can put a silencer on the MS16. Prefer the gun to the Bushman AR that you receive for unlocking all of the towers as well (don't like the scope of that gun.)

Off topic but Im really digging that green led from behind your TV lol.

Thanks. I tend to use either the green or blue setting for games; it's great.

Spat_triate

The gun sounds are excellent. This game totally nailed how I like my AK47s. The weapon looks and moves like a heavy, metallic rifle of death. The animators, artists, and audio departments did an outstanding job with the weapons.

They put an immense amount of detail into the weapons. There are even different reloading animations when there is a round left in the chamber.

For people wanting another immersive FPS like Far Cry 2, Miasmata is your sure bet. If you're into survival more than the combat aspect. Put 3 hours into the game just now, and it's got some really cool ideas about exploration, map system same like FC 2, realistic momentum on slopes, you've got a disease, triangulating maps and compass use, making medicine, and a monster cat stalking you at night.

RedSwirl

Y'know, Far Cry 3 is still able to produce some pretty cool emergent moments:

You can't really see it very well there, but that's me hang-gliding over a battle taking place between some Ratkyat and pirates. I eventually dropped right in and rescued a hostage.

Shit like this is where open world games shine the most. I just wish game developers recognized that.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How is it that Jason Brody can read Japanese?

Besides that the bodies wouldnt be mummified like that in a tropical setting. Esp the ones that you can find which are outdoors. If they were in some sort of proper deep tomb or cave then thats a bit different. But for the most part these are either outside or in some small bunker that still would be effected by the elements / animals.

Someplace dry as hell like the desert or arctic sure, but the tropics no.

Odd that they didnt use skeletons.

WX3

I run mine just like that, silenced with a red dot and I love it. It's more like an M1 Carbine than a Garand though. I just dislike the way the silenced weapons sound in this game, but I have to use them as that is my favorite way to attack them camps! Silent and deadly.

Elixist

Anyone know exactly on the map the dingo are located?

I know that theres some west/ southwest of the main town i believe srry cant be more specific.

Man this game, this game. Sometimes I'm just having a blast and a half and then other times im mad at the handholding and other niggles.

WX3

Anyone know exactly on the map the dingo are located?

If I am correct in my thinking, they are on the north eastern area of the map mainly, but I believe you can find them scattered in the central region as well. Of course look for the dingo icon on the map once you have scaled the radio towers.

Andrew.

Banned
So I was walking along the southeastern shoreline yesterday when out of nowhere a deer in distress ran out in front of me, followed closely by a really pissed off bear. I needed a couple bear pelts for a pouch so I stormed off chasing them both. Both animals were hauling ass, but I kept chugging away and taking a couple shots at the bear in order to anger it enough so it would come towards me. No luck. As the two animals and I are booking down the beach, I end up running past two pirates holding some hostages, but I don't stop to take them out. I just keep running which clearly agitated them as I could hear them yelling at me followed by a few gunshots. I stop, turn around and see the two pirates start running after me. Meanwhile, I'm trying to focus on this fucking bear who is STILL chasing this deer.

I felt like I needed the Harlem Globetrotters theme song or something as all of us are chasing after each other running down the beach like idiots. A few seconds later, the bear loses the deer and focuses its attention on me. Instead of taking it out, I turn around and start running towards the pirates competely throwing them off guard and hearing the bear growling behind me. I rush past the pirates and slide into a nearby bush. I turn around and watch as these two pirates attempt to take out the bear, but to no avail. The giant beast completely mauled one and then while it was approaching the other, I used the moment to run towards it, Bull shotgun in hand and lay it to waste. Two shots to the head as it was tearing the crap out of the other pirate on the ground.

I sure as hell got my pouch.

I love this fucking game.

Xevren

I loved the hell out of this game until this protect Willis as he repairs the plane bullshit comes along. It's just so god damn terrible.

I loved the hell out of this game until this protect Willis as he repairs the plane bullshit comes along. It's just so god damn terrible.

i liked it, it was hard as nails, but once you understand where the enemies will be coming from, and stock up on c4 / mines or rpg's for the heavies, you'll be aight.

Double D

Actual quotes from me:

"Willis, hide in the fucking house or something!"
"Willis, use your fucking gun or something you're supposed to be some goddamn spy"
"Fuck you, Willis."
"I fucking hate you, Willis. I'm glad you keep dying"

Thankfully at this point of the game I was able to carry four guns. Switched to my RPG and took out those heavies. I imagine this part of the game could be difficult though.

madmackem

Listening to brad on the giantbomb nearly put me off getting this on console, its nowhere near as bad as he was making it out to be and it still looks fantastic.

Actual quotes from me:

"Willis, use your fucking gun or something you're supposed to be some goddamn spy"
"Fuck you, Willis."

Yeah honestly all the protection missions up to the point I've played have been pretty goddamn frustrating.

Xevren

Finally passed it, I have no issues with heavies it was just willis being a retard and dying all the time. I hope I have nothing like that left...

Raptomex

This game is incredible. I hate Jason and all his friends.
Actually if they all died that would make me happy
. Every other character in this game is pretty cool, though. Love Vaas.

Actual quotes from me:

"Fuck you, Willis."

oh snap, my willis was on the minigun thing, mowing folks down most of the time, i guess i'd be pissed too if he was doing the cabbage patch while catching bullets in his person.

cabbage_patch.gif

Finally passed it, I have no issues with heavies it was just willis being a retard and dying all the time. I hope I have nothing like that left...

about that..

neh, you're good, the only other hair pulling part may be the one at the very end.

Locke_211

Any hints from anyone who's got the trophy/achievement that's something like
find the lost hollywood star
?

81%, 8 main missions to go, and damn it if I'm not going to find all the relics!

Klocker

I love this game and have barely even played the story missions.

I love the sandbox man.

So many little details and interactions. I love the random encounters the sense of fear. I WALK everywhere and don't even climb many towers and I find relics and Gliders to ride and animals to hunt and survive and Pirates to defend from.

Amazing the way the lighting mimics your eye, dark rooms adjusting lighter as your eyes get used to it, the lighting hitting you as you walk out of a cave... really nice. The ability to perform multiple actions at once (start a heal injection and crouch at same time or run and reload etc).

Damned fine piece of software. If people do not buy this game I will be pissed because it means we will probably have to suffer a future of more corridor shooter, scripted crap.

This is a shooter redefined for my own enjoyment and creativity. To me it takes the best of Red Dead and marries it to a great first person experience with more depth.

Jintor

So I was walking along the southeastern shoreline yesterday when out of nowhere a deer in distress ran out in front of me, followed closely by a really pissed off bear. I needed a couple bear pelts for a pouch so I stormed off chasing them both. Both animals were hauling ass, but I kept chugging away and taking a couple shots at the bear in order to anger it enough so it would come towards me. No luck. As the two animals and I are booking down the beach, I end up running past two pirates holding some hostages, but I don't stop to take them out. I just keep running which clearly agitated them as I could hear them yelling at me followed by a few gunshots. I stop, turn around and see the two pirates start running after me. Meanwhile, I'm trying to focus on this fucking bear who is STILL chasing this deer.

I felt like I needed the Harlem Globetrotters theme song or something as all of us are chasing after each other running down the beach like idiots. A few seconds later, the bear loses the deer and focuses its attention on me. Instead of taking it out, I turn around and start running towards the pirates competely throwing them off guard and hearing the bear growling behind me. I rush past the pirates and slide into a nearby bush. I turn around and watch as these two pirates attempt to take out the bear, but to no avail. The giant beast completely mauled one and then while it was approaching the other, I used the moment to run towards it, Bull shotgun in hand and lay it to waste. Two shots to the head as it was tearing the crap out of the other pirate on the ground.

I sure as hell got my pouch.

I love this fucking game.

Yeah, when the emergent shit breaks through it makes the frustrations just fade away. But the further I've gotten in the game, the less they've appeared...

Klocker

Yeah, when the emergent shit breaks through it makes the frustrations just fade away. But the further I've gotten in the game, the less they've appeared...

Yes I am climbing few towers and clearing few Forts and having a blast just experiencing the world without clearing the enemies from whole areas.

Really need a patch to allow some bases to be reclaimed by enemies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Listening to brad on the giantbomb nearly put me off getting this on console, its nowhere near as bad as he was making it out to be and it still looks fantastic.

I don't know what he said, but I know he was playing in 60fps on PC. The transition was probably quite jarring.

Either way, I'm loving this game. I've probably put about 20 hours in and have only done 15 missions. My in-game timer seems off though.

At the risk of making a fool of myself: Is ingame time really supposed to pass only when you're moving? What's more when I'm playing with a 360 pad time passes more quickly while running as compared to running with the keyboard enabled. It's pretty distracting when it's night and the stars are only moving when I'm moving. There seem to be several timelapse videos on YT with the character not moving so I guess it shouldn't be that way. Or should it?

Top Bottom