• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

DeVeAn

Why does steam say this game has partial gamepad support? Looking to maybe buy just want some clarification on this.

Ledsen

Why does steam say this game has partial gamepad support? Looking to maybe buy just want some clarification on this.

You can't launch the game from Big Picture Mode without using the mouse (since the Uplay launcher doesn't support gamepad navigation), so it doesn't get the "full support" icon.

DeVeAn

You can't launch the game from Big Picture Mode without using the mouse (since the Uplay launcher doesn't support gamepad navigation), so it doesn't get the "full support" icon.

AH! so other than that the game itself is good to go?

I always just snipe pirates from afar. This game is so fun for me. Sure i can nitpick all day, this game certainly took thing ib the right direction for me. Just better sidequests plz

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Positive note: Game clicked with me a bit better, so I'm enjoying it more. Having a solid foundation of great combat and atmosphere goes a long way.

Negative note: I'm going to show how fucking broken and poorly designed this economy is.

Though I'm quite a bit further into the game than this, I wanted to note because it shows how little incentive there is to explore due to the warped, grind focused economy that is so unfairly balanced in your favour it devalues most rewards. Please excuse the maps as FRAPS does not like Far Cry 3 DX11, but this was taken right before the mission where you
go hunt out sexy tribal lady

farcnz5m.jpg

As you can see, only a very small portion of the first island has been explored. So much so I'd probably say it's ~1/6th of the island, when you consider the terrain extends quite a bit below what that shot shows. At that point in the game I had done most everything in that area. I had captured all eight camps, activated four radio towers, hunted down all artefacts and letters (about...15 all together maybe), and finished all the side quests. None of this was hard, not required much of a grind, and most of it was fun enough. After all, you see a mission, you might as well do it, as they don't take long to do.

I'd also made an effort to skin pretty much any animal I ended up in conflict with, as well as hunt a few when targeting a specific upgrade.

At this point in the game I've put in a handful of hours, and this is what my game stats look like:

Craftables:
Weapon Holster - Maxed out.
Wallet - One upgrade needed from hunter quest.
Rucksack - Still going.
Syringe Kit - Maxed out.
Ammo Pouch - Maxed out.
Throwable Pack - One upgrade needed from hunter quest.
Munitions Pack - Still going.
Flamethrower Fuel Sling - One upgrade needed from hunter quest.
Rocket Pack - Still going.
Arrow Quiver - One upgrade needed from hunter quest.

Skills:
Heron, Shark, and Spider all have five skills unlocked, all other skills locked until I complete more missions. Three skill points sitting in limbo. Long way to go, but so easy to max out.

Currently equipped:
MS16 with optical site and extended mag.
Bow with marksman sight.
Signature weapon "Cannon"
M-700 with high power scope and silencer.

At least 50% of available weapons owned. Probably a fair bit more. No desire to buy any more available weapons or attachments as they do not differentiate much from my current loadout. Signature weapons and a one or two powerful weapons in each category the only new goodies to unlock. $5839 sitting in wallet.

Despite not leaving what shouldn't be considered as anything more than a starting area, I have crafted almost every single piece of equipment in the game, and equipped myself with the only weapons I really need, with other fun weapons purchased and available for swap.

I get the feeling Ubi wanted to design this open world, and the progression of upgrades and equipment, in a way that is best balanced to players who ignore most everything and only do ~30% of the game. The fact I've been rewarded by majority of what the game has to reward me with, skills aside (due to be locked to the missions), in such a very small period of time is a bit dumb.

I really wish this game had mod tools, because I think the economy and development could be pretty easily fixed by a small but capable team.

I completely agree about the busted, overfriendly economy, and was in exactly the same situation. My record for stockpiled skill points I couldn't spend was 7.

For contrast -- and I know we have a separate thread for this -- in order to buy every single last upgrade in Far Cry 2 you had to find every single last diamond. Which meant if you wanted everything, you had to do everything. And in the meantime, you had to make interesting decisions about which weapons you wanted.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I completely agree about the busted, overfriendly economy, and was in exactly the same situation.

For contrast -- and I know we have a separate thread for this -- in order to buy every single last upgrade in Far Cry 2 you had to find every single last diamond. Which meant if you wanted everything, you had to do everything. And in the meantime, you had to make interesting decisions about which weapons you wanted.

Right, and that's why that economy works. I made the same argument about exploring in STALKER. Because the game's design put a huge value on all resources, from ammo and health to weapons themselves, there was always an incentive to divert from the main course and do some wandering. You might find nothing, but when you do find something it was always useful and worth keeping. You stocked up on health, or much needed ammo, you found a rare weapon, or an artefact to use or sell. Money wasn't a ticket to paradise, so you were encouraged to explore.

Diamonds in Far Cry 2 were the same. Didn't matter if it was an ruined truck sitting in the shrubs off the side of the road, or in a hut surrounded by bad dudes. Regardless of what was required of you to get the diamond, the diamond always felt very rewarding and worth the effort. Every single diamond, even finding just one, was an important step towards unlocking a new weapon, or weapon upgrade.

Far Cry 3's reliance on XP and basic money breaks all that because just naturally playing the game bloats you with too many rewards too quickly, and so there's no incentive to continue exploring or playing beyond core enjoyment. The diamond system being replaced with the artefacts would have been a simple but easy method to retain a balanced economy. It's a sandbox game for christs sake. People should be encouraged to explore and rewarded suitably. Especially since, as I've found, Far Cry 3's artefacts are often hidden in really cool locations. Locations you won't see unless you decide to hunt down that little XP boost, on top of XP you're getting for doing literally everything else.

Jackpot

Banned

I really hated that aspect of FC2. Diamond hunts were terrible and it took forever to get enough. All it meant was that I restricted myself to using the same weapons over and over instead of experimenting with risky (& amusing) choices. Last time I re-installed it I used a trainer to unlock all weapons and it was much better.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Worst thing about the game besides the cast of the "good guys" is the fact that I cant kill that irritating as shit NPC jackie in town.

Believe me Ive tried at a distance and it doesnt work. You deal literally no damage to any NPCs who are in a town zone. I tested it out on one that I could actually see and nothing. For where jackie is I had to shoot 40mms at her chair since the game wouldnt render her in at that distance and nothing. Even if the whole place catches on fire.

Most irritating NPC ever and they dont let you kill her.

Would have been one of the most satisfying things ever in the game if they did allow for it.

EatChildren

I really hated that aspect of FC2. Diamond hunts were terrible and it took forever to get enough. All it meant was that I restricted myself to using the same weapons over and over instead of experimenting with risky (& amusing) choices. Last time I re-installed it I used a trainer to unlock all weapons and it was much better.

Goes to show how differently people enjoy certain things. For some Far Cry 3 is an objective improvement over Far Cry 2 in every respect, and so a brilliant game. Whereas for others the game unnecessarily downgraded many of Far Cry 2's better components.

Maybe it's too hard for developers for developers to offer alternatives when pushed for time, and the direction clearly laid out. But it would be neat if something like Far Cry 3 offered the choice of both styles of play to cater to both audiences. I don't even think it would be that hard. Just a few tweaks to the economy based on content already existing in the game world, and maybe the option to keep weapon degradation and scale back many accessibility options. Group A gets the game they like, Group B gets the game they like, without any really significant changes to the game world itself.

Derrick01

Banned
I really miss FC2's diamond system. There was enough to buy most everything if I remember right but you really had to hunt for them. Since it was such a pain to collect them all it made choosing what to buy an actual important choice unlike FC3 and...well most modern games that put an economy in their game.

The handbook entries are just painfully unfunny and full of spelling errors. Other than that, amazing game.

But I am starting to feel that fatigue from having too much shit to do. A least this game rewards you for completing side content, unlike AC3 where everything is pointless.

Derrick01

Banned
Wonder how Clint Hocking feels about Far Cry 3?

Probably the same as me. I always got the feeling he hates pointless "gamey" systems in games as much as me. I am hoping he gets put in charge of a future Valve game though, without idiot publisher pressure from someone like Ubisoft it could be something like FC2 but even more magical.

EatChildren

For what it's worth, I think Far Cry 3 is a better game world than Far Cry 2, even if I much preferred Africa, or anywhere new, to another fucking jungle. But a lot more effort has gone into the pacing of the game, the variety of quests, the set pieces around the map, and the little details. It's just begging for a lot of the mechanics that people loved from Far Cry 2. Put them into Far Cry 3, with Far Cry 3's additions and improvements, and you've got yourself a damn incredible game.

Andrew.

Banned
I actually do really miss those moments where you've got your attack all planned out, and then go in for the first kill only to have your gun jam. It throws off your thought train, puts you in immediate auto panic mode and gives you quite a rush.

Overdoziz

Banned
Anyone on the 360 want to play some co-op missions? I still need two achievements and it's practically impossible to play the missions you want to first time around.

Wanny

Damn guys. A dayZ-like multiplayer experience in the islands of Far Cry 3. Animals + Zombies + Survival + Capture outpost for ammos/health/safe zones. I would fucking play this stuff.

What do you think?

Overdoziz

Banned
So apparently you can't get the co-op achievements if everyone else quits out during the first cutscene even when other people join and you still play through the entire level. If the message "All players are out of action" pops up during the first opening cutscene you won't be able to get the achievement. Happened to me twice now. :/

spekkeh

Banned
I'm going to show how fucking broken and poorly designed this economy is.

I get the feeling Ubi wanted to design this open world, and the progression of upgrades and equipment, in a way that is best balanced to players who ignore most everything and only do ~30% of the game.

I ignore most of everything and only do ~30% of the game.

So.

Who's wrong?

Damn guys. A dayZ-like multiplayer experience in the islands of Far Cry 3. Animals + Zombies + Survival + Capture outpost for ammos/health/safe zones. I would fucking play this stuff.

What do you think?

I like this idea. Make it Co-op, too. We'll call it "Dead Island".

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
No. Sorry.

Are you sure? Cause I just played a few matches online in splitscreen. :p It didn't level me up though, but it showed that I was levelling up during the match. :\

Ah, I am levelling up but it takes a while to update the second player's stats.

EatChildren

I ignore most of everything and only do ~30% of the game.

So.

Who's wrong?

Nobody. It means Ubi made an excellent game for people like you, and a shitty open world game for people like me :).

legacyzero

Banned

What do you think?
I was actually that's thinking that the other day lol

Wanny

I like this idea. Make it Co-op, too. We'll call it "Dead Island".

Nonono. A survival sandbox. I mean the game already has a wonderful map for that kind of mode. Stealth mechanics and solid gunplay are already there. Outpost capturing is already there.

Put in zombies, random spawns around the islands beach, deadly animals, no HUD, 32 or 64 players and boom. Success.

I'm honestly tired of the classic Deathmatch model. It's boring as fuck. DayZ totally got me interested back in shooter online gaming.

Klocker

Goes to show how differently people enjoy certain things. For some Far Cry 3 is an objective improvement over Far Cry 2 in every respect, and so a brilliant game. Whereas for others the game unnecessarily downgraded many of Far Cry 2's better components.

Maybe it's too hard for developers for developers to offer alternatives when pushed for time, and the direction clearly laid out. But it would be neat if something like Far Cry 3 offered the choice of both styles of play to cater to both audiences. I don't even think it would be that hard. Just a few tweaks to the economy based on content already existing in the game world, and maybe the option to keep weapon degradation and scale back many accessibility options. Group A gets the game they like, Group B gets the game they like, without any really significant changes to the game world itself.

Exactly. They dumbed the game down a bit to sell more and who Can blame them. I do wish they had a difficulty setting related to upgrading and economy. Making it harder to advance. I loved Far Cry2 even with its flaws but enough people were turned off by the challenge and want more instant gratification.

I always wonder why people upgrade the skills that pad your rewards (find more plants, get more skins etc) and then complain that game is too easy. Don;t pick these skills!

Maybe an advanced setting that could tweak the values so the upgrade was slower progression, would be lovely.

Is the game's co-op different than the single player campaign?

Or is the co-op simply taking the single player and randomly putting some dudebro with you while you play it?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I really like this game but I think instead of abandoning some of the good Far Cry 2 mechanics, they should have just built upon it. Respawning rate for guards at outposts could have been tweaked or they could have employed something different. After doing everything the game has to offer, I was just toying around with the Rakyat dudes which just wasn't fun. Although, I saw two of them getting mauled by a Buffalo, which was hilarious. But seriously, it's like the game was telling me it doesn't have anything else to offer and to go and play the multiplayer.

The game does a lot of things right. I love the combat, the polished gameplay mechanics, the fun main missions, etc. Hated the hunting part since they tied it with the upgrade system. The relics were well hidden too but felt so pointless. I think instead of 120 fucking relics, they could have gone with 20-30, with clever placement, so that you have to explore each corner of the map like a true treasure hunter. Maybe even build a cool side mission around it or something; that would have made the game a lot more interesting after you finish the main missions. I think they could have shipped out a lot more impressive and cleverly designed game had they not completely abandoned some of Far Cry 2's gameplay mechanics like the in-game map which was a lot more convenient to use.

I played the multiplayer for about 2-3 hours before giving up. Wish the co-op wasn't so mindnumbingly boring, but I had to sit through it for the platinum trophy. You know, I like developers that listen to fan feedback and implement them in their next game, and I think that's one of the things that makes Far Cry 3 such a great game, but sometimes they tend to abandon their original vision for it. Overall, it was a satisfying game, but could have been better, a lot better.

Is the game's co-op different than the single player campaign?

Or is the co-op simply taking the single player and randomly putting some dudebro with you while you play it?
It's has six unique maps and is different from the single player campaign. Separate objectives etc.

Top Bottom