• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

ezekial45

Banned
The game gets really uninteresting once you take all the outposts. Besides the Wanted missions, you've pretty much cleared the world of armed hostiles.

They should've added a persistent element to the game. Like where pirates/privateers attempt to retake outposts. Hell, even having specific areas where hostiles are based indefinitely, regardless of outposts, would've been great.

I'm hoping they have some DLC planned for the single player.

Good god Vaas is such an awesome villain. Great writing and acting. It might be crazy to say now but he'll probably go down as one of the best villains ever in a game. I love how FC3 actually has characters and a narrative, and they're good. This was a big element missing in FC2, as much as I loved that game.

ironcreed

Banned
My only real gripe right now boils down to being constantly reminded of the next story mission when I am out in the world doing stuff on the side. I get a pop-up reminder every 2 minutes, as if they are telling me to stop enjoying the world and just do the story. It is really just a minor quibble on the grand scale because I love the hell out of the game, but it is still annoying at the same time. I know what to do, game. Just leave me to it, lol.

Raptomex

Good god Vaas is such an awesome villain. Great writing and acting. It might be crazy to say now but he'll probably go down as one of the best villains ever in a game. I love how FC3 actually has characters and a narrative, and they're good. This was a big element missing in FC2, as much as I loved that game.
Every character you meet in FC 3 is cooler than Jason and his friends. I can't stand them.

Every character you meet in FC 3 is cooler than Jason and his friends. I can't stand them.

What do people dislike so much about Jason? That he's one of those cool guy types? I dunno, his reactions so far are about what I would expect given the situation. I'm not that deep into the game but I haven't had much issue with it.

SJRB

Gold Member

Q1SYu.jpg

Liza is lovely and probably the only sane person in the entire game.

Locke_211

The game gets really uninteresting once you take all the outposts. Besides the Wanted missions, you've pretty much cleared the world of armed hostiles.

They should've added a persistent element to the game. Like where pirates/privateers attempt to retake outposts. Hell, even having specific areas where hostiles are based indefinitely, regardless of outposts, would've been great.

I think there are some sections like this, such as the lumber yard area with an early-ish mission on the first island.

Derrick01

Banned
I kept waiting for some development between her and Jason but he spends the entire game being an irritable douche and she spends it crying the whole time.

I kept waiting for some development between her and Jason but he spends the entire game being an irritable douche and she spends it crying the whole time.

If the game's trying to be somewhat realistic with character development it won't be like in the movies where the the hero falls in love with the damsel in distress. In a realistic situation this wouldn't happen, they'd be too focused on just trying to survive in this jungle.

Derrick01

Banned
If the game's trying to be somewhat realistic with character development it won't be like in the movies where the the hero falls in love with the damsel in distress. In a realistic situation this wouldn't happen, they'd be too focused on just trying to survive in this jungle.

They're already dating when they go the island but apparently there's friction between the two but the game never really goes into detail why. And it doesn't really resolve it either.

Raptomex

What do people dislike so much about Jason? That he's one of those cool guy types? I dunno, his reactions so far are about what I would expect given the situation. I'm not that deep into the game but I haven't had much issue with it.
To me they just seem douchey and I just don't like the voice acting for Jason.

Andrew.

Banned
To me they just seem douchey and I just don't like the voice acting for Jason.

I think everyone sounds great, especially Jason. Early to mid 20 year olds nowadays are generally all douchebags anyway. They really hit the nail on the head. Vaas is still the best character though. A true scene stealer.

eXistor

I don't want to shit on the game too much, (it does quite a few things right), but at the same time FC3 represents a lot of things I hate in modern game design. The game was made to make money. In order to do so, a lot of people have to buy the game, that means safe game design. As a result, there is little to nothing in the game that challenges me as a player.

The game disproportionately rewards players for doing menial tasks, but I don't feel I should be rewarded by things I as a player had very little say in. It renders everything hollow and meaningless. It's like giving candy to a baby whenever he attemps to crawl. He should only be treated candy when he manages to walk, without help and after many hardships. Only then can you feel accomplished.

I feel like I'm being treated like a freaking idiot during this game, everything is handed to me at almost all times. I always feel guided, there is no room for failure, because the game won't allow it.

I am having fun with it, kind of, but I mostly just feel bored by so many things. Far Cry 2 had a lot of issues, but that game also had balls, it dared being different. That's probably why so many people hate it, all for the wrong reasons too, like respawning checkpoints or the malaria pills. I respect that game so much more than I do Far Cry 3.

It's such a shame too, because had Ubisoft gone all the way they could have added a Survival Mode or something. You don't have to change the missions or anything, just take away that safety net and have me work for my rewards.

SJRB

Gold Member
They're already dating when they go the island but apparently there's friction between the two but the game never really goes into detail why. And it doesn't really resolve it either.

Spoiler to some of the backstory between Liza and Jason:

Liza wanted to go home because she had an important audition. Jason wanted to stay and convinced her to take this skydiving gig. So it's literally his fault that all this shit is happening.

This is explained through very minor dialogue, during the first drug sequence in the cave. amd during an optional conversation somewhere during the game.

Needless to say she is angry about this, and everytime she tries to talk to Jason about pretty much anything he shuns her and leaves, and every time he returns he is more and more bewildered and has descended deeper into insanity, fully engrossed in his power trip.

By the end Jason is pretty much insane. We as a player don't notice this as much because we were part of it, but for Liza and the rest the guy went batshit insane. I mean he's running around with arms filled with tattoos carrying guns, a bow and machette knifing people in the throat for god's sake, thinking he's the savior of a bunch of native rebels. The guy is fucking nutso.

This is easily the best joke in the game, you shouldn't spoil it like that, good sir.

Lothars

It's such a shame too, because had Ubisoft gone all the way they could have added a Survival Mode or something. You don't have to change the missions or anything, just take away that safety net and have me work for my rewards.
I think that's a great idea, It would be something I wish they would implement.

-BLITZ-

Jason rejects Liza in such rude way, but suddenly
with Citra
- twice ?! what a turn the game story went, heh.

Derrick01

Banned
Ohh I didn't even know they were already dating. Time to get crackin' on this...

Just to let you know and anyone else who may have missed it there are optional scenes that you can trigger that basically show the leadup to how you guys got captured since the game begins immediately in vaas' camp. They're found in
the cave where they all hang out under the doctor's house. There are glowing drug things you can take that trigger them

ezekial45

Banned

I just didn't buy his transformation into a "warrior". What the other games had where playable characters with military and mercenary backgrounds, which gives believability to their actions and growth. Jason Brody was pretty much a "daredevil" and "thrill-seeker", with no military experience (having never killed anyone before the events of the game); then by end of the game he's this super badass who wiped out countless pirates, paramilitary soldiers, knows how to handle every weapon imaginable with ease, and managed to lone wolf his way into retaking the Rook Islands. I just didn't believe it.

I know it's a game, but they talked up this focus on narrative and about Brody's transformation. They just never really gave believability to his evolution, expect for that his "tattoos" gave him power. That was it. No crash-course training sequences, just buy a gun and you're already a badass. It just wasn't legit. In the way that Jack Carver in FC1 and the Mercenaries from FC2 were.

madmackem

Ok, enemy camp, loaded with enemys, sit back pick the sniper off shoot the lock off the bear cage watch him maul the full camp and walk in own it with only two bullets shot. Love this game.

Tadale

Any good deals going on on the PC version of this right now? I finally got the urge to bite the bullet on this one, and I know there were a couple of good prices floating around out there a couple of weeks ago.

Okay, is there any way to get the alternate ending without replaying the whole game? I guess I can just YouTube it, since there's no trophy or anything connected to it. Thought there would be a mission select option or something.

Andrew.

Banned
Okay, is there any way to get the alternate ending without replaying the whole game? I guess I can just YouTube it, since there's no trophy or anything connected to it. Thought there would be a mission select option or something.

Really wish this was, or gets somehow implemented in the future. My GF got really into the story and characters and unfortunatley she's missed a bunch of the plot due to me playing without her around =P

Derrick01

Banned

It's really easy to youtube it because not much happens. Well I guess that depends on what you consider the alternate ending, but when I youtubed the other one it was only 20-30 seconds.

SJRB

Gold Member
The endings are SHORT, for sure. But both endings are greatly different from each other, very much worth looking up either way.

But boy is it short. It's almost as bad as a "thank you for playing" title card. I hate quick game endings, I want a proper cutscene after spending hours and hours playing a game goddamnit.

So I just got a game breaking bug after like 12 hours of playtime. Can't throw rocks and can't use the camera. After a bit of googling, it seems like there is no fix for this yet. Ugh.

I just didn't buy his transformation into a "warrior". What the other games had where playable characters with military and mercenary backgrounds, which gives believability to their actions and growth. Jason Brody was pretty much a "daredevil" and "thrill-seeker", with no military experience (having never killed anyone before the events of the game); then by end of the game he's this super badass who wiped out countless pirates, paramilitary soldiers, knows how to handle every weapon imaginable with ease, and managed to lone wolf his way into retaking the Rook Islands. I just didn't believe it.

I know it's a game, but they talked up this focus on narrative and about Brody's transformation. They just never really gave believability to his evolution, expect for that his "tattoos" gave him power. That was it. No crash-course training sequences, just buy a gun and you're already a badass. It just wasn't legit. In the way that Jack Carver in FC1 and the Mercenaries from FC2 were.

Basically this.

Linius

Just finished the main story and it was a fun ride. Now I'm left with an empty world and a bunch of "do this and that" side quests :(

Does anyone know if these recepies you unlock by collecting relics are for special syringes? I want that good stuff achievement :p

And I'm exactley one skill short for the all inked up achievement. Wish I had done a few more outposts completely silent :p

Derrick01

Banned
So I just got a game breaking bug after like 12 hours of playtime. Can't throw rocks and can't use the camera. After a bit of googling, it seems like there is no fix for this yet. Ugh.

Not to sound assholish here but the game seems to be doing you a favor, the stealth system just got 10 times better now. That is unless there was a point where you have to use any of that stuff, I don't remember honestly.

calder

Not to sound assholish here but the game seems to be doing you a favor, the stealth system just got 10 times better now. That is unless there was a point where you have to use any of that stuff, I don't remember honestly.

He will definitely need both to progress later in the game. Camera may be only absolutely necessary for a couple of side missions but the rocks for sure are critical in the main story. Actually pretty sure a later main mission requires a photo as well, but it may be an automatic context thing.

Locke_211

The first mission on the second island might be difficult?

Derrick01

Banned
He will definitely need both to progress later in the game. Camera may be only absolutely necessary for a couple of side missions but the rocks for sure are critical in the main story. Actually pretty sure a later main mission requires a photo as well, but it may be an automatic context thing.

Yeah I just remembered there are some missions where you have to identify special enemies before taking them out. You might be able to do it without marking them since they wear special outfits but I'm not sure if the game will play along.

It's a shame too because not being able to mark enemies or throw infinite rocks really would go a long way to improving the game's stealth.

Yeah, I disabled tagging anyways, but I'm worried I still might need it to progress with the main story.

I'm well into the second island:
gotta take care of some people planning to steal from hoyt from the inside with same
Anyone know if the camera is gonna be mandatory in any of the upcoming story sequences?

Linius

At one point in the main story the game wants you to use the camera to watch something and then take a picture of it. And you also need the stones at the second island. That specific mission is impossible without stones.

Riposte

I kind of wish this game went in the direction of the main character always being high with the craziest of drugs. True insanity represented in the warped landscape.

second island spoiler

are you talking about the stealth mission on the second island where you have to steal a uniform? I'm already done with that

cackhyena

Yeah I just remembered there are some missions where you have to identify special enemies before taking them out. You might be able to do it without marking them since they wear special outfits but I'm not sure if the game will play along.

It's a shame too because not being able to mark enemies or throw infinite rocks really would go a long way to improving the game's stealth.
Explain how having a finite amount of rocks would improve the limited stealth there is in this game.

Derrick01

Banned
Explain how having a finite amount of rocks would improve the limited stealth there is in this game.

It's very simple. If you can't constantly throw rocks that makes enemies turn in whatever direction you want or walk away from you then you have to plan your approach a lot more carefully.

Though I guess you could also make the argument that it's as much of an AI failure as it is a stealth design failure. It's probably a lot easier to fix it my way instead of re-programming AI though.

cackhyena

It's very simple. If you can't constantly throw rocks that makes enemies turn in whatever direction you want or walk away from you then you have to plan your approach a lot more carefully.

Though I guess you could also make the argument that it's as much of an AI failure as it is a stealth design failure. It's probably a lot easier to fix it my way instead of re-programming AI though.

I'm just always looking to play as stealthy as I can in games. When the AI is limited like this, and is prone to magically run in your direction head long after a single guy is taken down with a silenced weapon, it kills the thought of anything resembling realistic. So I dig the rocks as a means to break up groups, as they tend to be in camps.

I just think of it as them being freaked when I throw the rocks, knowing a bear or komodo dragon could be heading for their ass. Happens to me often enough.

leng jai

It certainly seems like one of those open world games where you're much better off doing side content between story missions. I can't see myself doing the fetch quests after finishing the main missions - the motivation would be seriously lacking.

Is it just me or is the day night cycle too fast? It doesn't help that this game looks pretty dull at night time. Wish there were more prevalent weather effects as well.

Really enjoying this game so far. I really like how it feels like a blend of a FPS/Assassin's Creed with the open world.

Was about to take out an outpost, heard a growl, and was promptly taken out by a tiger.

Crazy stuff.

Klocker

Reading some of these posts about the story and realism... Seriously?

Its a game.. A fun game with a better than average mission line a better than average stealth and shooting and open world component.

just enjoy it for what it is my god.

:lol

Jintor

I would enjoy it for what it was if it didn't have narrative sequences in it at all

I feel I would actually enjoy it more if I was literally a no-name no-faced non-character of a player and Vaas was the only guy with a sembelance of a personality

actually, that's a lie, I quite like Jason's companions, it's just Jason I hate

Top Bottom