• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Andrew.

Banned
The flamethrower is sick.

I just performed a 3x multi takedown followed up by torching an oncoming Jeep with two bad Larry's inside of it.

Bliss.

Andrew.

Banned
Derrick gonna Derrick. He's not afraid to express :)

Yeah but that shit needs to stay out of this thread. We're all enjoying it and his points have been made abundantly clear. He doesn't need to reiterate how disappointed he is. The majority of us get it who are on here every day.

edit: my bad der, there you are. Just fuck off out of the thread dude. We know you don't like it.

Yeah but that shit needs to stay out of this thread. We're all enjoying it and his points have been made abundantly clear. He doesn't need to reiterate how disappointed he is. The majority of us get it who are on here every day.

edit: my bad der, there you are. Just fuck off out of the thread dude. We know you don't like it.

The crazy thing is, i think he does like it, just that he'd like it more if it were perfect in his eyes.

Derrick01

Banned
Sorry the thread's not 1 huge jerk off party for you. I was asked a question and answered it.

NoirVisage said:
The crazy thing is, i think he does like it, just that he'd like it more if it were perfect in his eyes

Compared to how many horrible games I played this year this wasn't all that terrible. It's an average AAA game bogged down by lots of bad decisions that plague modern AAA games. But it's certainly not horrible.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
No need for hostility, OTs should not be circle jerks around games.

Anyways, just Redboxed this for the 360, installing now. Let's go.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I take a drug pill and I'm remembering a moment in which we're all partying in some top arse club

who gives a flying fuck about this, jesus. There's literally no point in that sequence besides the fact you get to hate those spoiled cunts even more

what the hell

Pyronite

I would enjoy it for what it was if it didn't have narrative sequences in it at all

I feel I would actually enjoy it more if I was literally a no-name no-faced non-character of a player and Vaas was the only guy with a sembelance of a personality

actually, that's a lie, I quite like Jason's companions, it's just Jason I hate

But this is why everyone turns into a blank canvas. It's too much to risk spoiling the player character.
Jason said comparatively little and eventually abandoned his friends (though you did like them) - did you not like the way he talked, or the "oh god" moments, or what?

I liked Jason's progression. It made me empathize with him.

But this is why everyone turns into a blank canvas. It's too much to risk spoiling the player character.
Jason said comparatively little and eventually abandoned his friends (though you did like them) - did you not like the way he talked, or the "oh god" moments, or what?

his voice when doing things around the world unrelated to story, i play the story missions and side quests to get in touch with the story and appreciate his input then,but when i'm free roaming, i'm roleplaying as me (despite my caucasian hands syndrome) and would like him to shut the frack up, especially when i'm skinning animals for the 500th time.

Pyronite

his voice when doing things around the world unrelated to story, i play the story missions and side quests to get in touch with the story and appreciate his input then,but when i'm free roaming, i'm roleplaying as me (despite my caucasian hands syndrome) and would like him to shut the frack up, especially when i'm skinning animals for the 500th time.

He does say "oh God!" a lot whilst skinning. They could have taken that out after your 50th kill.

Jintor

His development in my estimation is from one type of asshole into another equally annoying kind of asshole

Honestly, I don't think I've hated a videogame protagonist as much as I hate Jason fucking Brody

Pyronite

His development in my estimation is from one type of asshole into another equally annoying kind of asshole

Honestly, I don't think I've hated a videogame protagonist as much as I hate Jason fucking Brody

Even in a world full of unreflective, changeless video game protagonists, Jason Brody was the worst?

Grisby

Not seeing how Jason gets the extreme hate either.

On the other hand I parachuted into an enemy compound and stealthily took out 3 dudes that were my objectives. So awesome. This game gave three unique non scripted action sequences and I had fun with all of them. Great game.

Bringing my Xbox to its knees though.

Jintor

Even in a world full of unreflective, changeless video game protagonists, Jason Brody was the worst?

If the option was between a faceless, nameless, complete blank slate of a videogame protagonist and Jason Brody, give me the manniquin with a smiley face on the front every time

Socreges

Banned
Is it worth holding onto items with 'Recommended Use: Sell'? Like, would certain people pay more for them? Or sell that stuff ASAP?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Yes.

Because the only thing he is, is a shitbird who got caught up in his new found "power" with killing others.

No real character progression ever, its more a regression if anything.

As much as I though the game was pandering, Spec Ops The Line has some real character personality progression there.

Is it worth holding onto items with 'Recommended Use: Sell'? Like, would certain people pay more for them? Or sell that stuff ASAP?

"Recommended Use: Sell"

For Vaas' sake, the game it's clearly telling you "THIS IS VENDOR TRASH". AFAIK, sell ASAP, TCP/IP OMG WTF BBQ.

Socreges

Banned
"Recommended Use: Sell"

For Vaas' sake, the game it's clearly telling you "THIS IS VENDOR TRASH". AFAIK, sell ASAP, TCP/IP OMG WTF BBQ.
Not sure why you're being a douche? I asked if there were people that might pay more for certain items (like in Dark Souls), not whether or not I should sell it at all.

Parakeetman

Not sure why you're being a douche? I asked if there were people that might pay more for certain items (like in Dark Souls), not whether or not I should sell it at all.

Games "economy" isnt that complex. And for the most part besides restocking yourself with ammo and if you buy maps money doesnt have much of a purpose later on. On and the special weapons which are purchase only after being unlocked by certain conditions.

The other stuff just dump it to a vendor as fast as possible since its a waste of space. So is skinning stuff in the future once you are fully upgraded with how poorly they made the whole selling system for non junk items (the crafting stuff).

The Jason

I'm loving the game. First thing i did after i liberated my first outpost was go hunt some animals for their skins, and then look for loot. The game is great.

I sort of wish their was some sort of visibility meter and camo system like MGS3, but its ok.

Parakeetman

I'm loving the game. First thing i did after i liberated my first outpost was go hunt some animals for their skins, and then look for loot. The game is great.

I sort of wish their was some sort of visibility meter and camo system like MGS3, but its ok.

The visibility meter is those white lines that appear when an enemy will discover you or not. If you see those popping up it means you are visible. If not you arent. Not too hard of a concept to understand.

Socreges

Banned
The visibility meter is those white lines that appear when an enemy will discover you or not. If you see those popping up it means you are visible. If not you arent. Not too hard of a concept to understand.
Far Cry fans are a saucy bunch.

And yeah I've just been playing around for hours after beating the first mission. Lots of hunting in order to unlock stuff. The low ceiling on the pouch forced me to pull the thread... it's been unraveling nonstop ever since.

I only jerk off to your negative vibes. Which means my nuts are drained every fucking day and explains the reason for my infertility.

Well done.

Also, wat. I thought the game was almost over. Now there's another island full of bullet sponge enemies and most of the interesting characters are gone. I feel like not playing any further...

The Jason

Those white lines tell me when I am visible, not how much i am visible at any point in time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think the visibility is fine. Stick to dense flora, break the line of sight, and they won't see you unless you make your presence obvious. They don't spot you until the white bar fills up, so you've got a bit of time to quickly back away.

Hammer24

Banned
The mission, where you
have to torch Hoyt´s drug fields and his boat
was the best thus far. Everything from the music to the change of color/vision when walking through the smoke was simply fun. I hope, more missions like this will be available later (I´m not on the second island yet).

Jintor

Yes, 16 hours into the game, minutes into the game's second act, is the perfect time to include a mandatory stealth don't-get-seen mission complete with tips about foliage breaking line of sight (IN A GOD DAMNED CAVE) and the re-emergence of the long-forgotten rock-throwing mechanic

Huh. I guess I don't fully understand the near universal 9+ scores this game is getting, along with GOTY talk. It's a very good game - the shooting and AI are really fun - but the game is repetitious to a fault. The storyline quests could have saved it, but even that is mostly lame.

And while it's an open-world game - or tries to be - I never really feel a part of the island. With the instantaneous fast-travel everywhere I feel like I'm just warping side-mission to side-mission, doing the same thing over and over. Also, all the crafting and hunting, stuff that fit in with your survival and growing stronger, all died out really early in the game.

Don't regret the purchase at all, just don't get the critical response.

Huh. I guess I don't fully understand the near universal 9+ scores this game is getting, along with GOTY talk. It's a very good game - the shooting and AI are really fun - but the game is repetitious to a fault. The storyline quests could have saved it, but even that is mostly lame.

And while it's an open-world game - or tries to be - I never really feel a part of the island. With the instantaneous fast-travel everywhere I feel like I'm just warping side-mission to side-mission, doing the same thing over and over. Also, all the crafting and hunting, stuff that fit in with your survival and growing stronger, all died out really early in the game.

I'm having a blast playing the game and it's definitely been a unique experience for me so far (never played the other Far Cry games).

So far it's been the most fun I've had playing a video game in 2012.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Everyone's different. I'm really enjoying the game but it's too handholdy to be AMAZING - but it's really fun to play. Everyone's different! Some people need their hand held, some people place more weight on different factors, etc.

Derrick01

Banned
If Jason didn't sound like fucking Hayden Christensen, he'd be a better character I think.

Yeah he has a very high pitched whiny voice. It's instantly hateable even if he wasn't acting like a douche for most of the game.

His lines where he's talking loud and tough make him sound like Taylor Lautner when he did that one action movie and they tried to make him look tough.

rbanke

After an hour or two on the second island, I think I'm starting to cool on the game a little. I'm a bit disappointed that the game burns through all of the available upgrades so quickly. I haven't needed to skin, loot, or buy anything in several hours now and its not like i went and only focused on upgrades. They should have paced that a little better I think. In FC2 I felt compelled to explore everything but I don't feel that way anymore in FC3 because it's now obvious that there is no reason to bother exploring because everything feels & looks very much the same. I spent my time so far on the second island climbing the towers & clearing the bases. I feel like once that's done ill probably just burn through the story and be done. I still like the game quite a bit, but am a little disappointed.

ironcreed

Banned
I actually just got to the second island last night. All I am going to say is wingsuit ftw once you get there. Don't care for the weird view effect when you are flying, but it is still pretty damn fun.

Top Bottom