• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

rBose

Banned
I've reinstalled this today, noticed that a few things have changed, the intro loading bar is different and the UI seems to be missing some audio feedback that was there a couple versions ago.

So, started a new game and reached Banapur, what can I say, it runs a ton worse than it did when I've first installed it ( an no it's no placebo, it's a very noticeable stutter that wasn't there a couple versions ago )

This is a fucking disgrace, I'm so tired of this ...

Did they say anything about the next patch ?

daninthemix

While I've been waiting for this game to get fixed, I've been playing Far Cry 3 instead.

Guess what? Everything's on Ultra at a locked 60fps without a single frame dropped and no hitching.

I'm beginning to think I should wait at least a year before playing each new release.

While I've been waiting for this game to get fixed, I've been playing Far Cry 3 instead.

Guess what? Everything's on Ultra at a locked 60fps without a single frame dropped and no hitching.

I'm beginning to think I should wait at least a year before playing each new release.

"beginning"? A little too late there mate.
:p

rBose

Banned

I gave it almost 1 month and seeing that it actually runs worse than it did at launch makes me wanna refund

At least they were capable of fixing that shitty mouse acc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU8wHclAF74

What the fuck ..

pestul

Well, I can't say I've had the same experience. Performance is definitely up with the 1.5 patch vs. all other previous iterations. I'm just not happy with some of the visual changes/increased load times/no skip-intro for Uplay.

I'm actually still enjoying the hell out of the game on pc lol.

Kezen

Banned
Well, I can't say I've had the same experience. Performance is definitely up with the 1.5 patch vs. all other previous iterations. I'm just not happy with some of the visual changes/increased load times/no skip-intro for Uplay.

I'm actually still enjoying the hell out of the game on pc lol.

No changes whatsoever on my end, performance is still the same, that is excellent.

d00d3n

Has anyone managed to sustain flight without hitting the tree when flying the southernmost hang glider in banapur? Just died my second time there. I initially assumed that it was bad luck, but now it seems more like a grief from the developer.

d00d3n

What a disappointment. Just lost a lot of progress in open world. Had spent about two hours hunting for upgrades. Killed a rhino with my bow ... Did some nice exploration stuff. Saved in the menu and quit to take a break, but when I started it up again all progress was gone. Back in the mountain village. I guess I should be grateful that my save wasn't "corrupted".

Ubisoft, how is it that only your games are affected by these game breaking progress/savegame bugs? I am reading the release notes for patch 1.5 and finding lots of stuff that should not be a priority compared with game breaking shit that force you to repeat huge sections of the game.

The crazy thing is that I did play Far Cry 4 in "Ubi mode", backing up my save every time I quit the game. This by itself is a huge inconvenience that no other developer of AAA games force their customers to go through, but Ubi are masters at finding creative ways of destroying game progress I guess.

I wonder if there is a "Ubi mode plus". Like, every time you want to quit, play a main quest mission and observe the saving icon 2> times to have an 80% chance of the game saving, in addition to always backing up the save file between sessions. Is this what it has come to, Ubi?

laxu

What a disappointment. Just lost a lot of progress in open world. Had spent about two hours hunting for upgrades. Killed a rhino with my bow ... Did some nice exploration stuff. Saved in the menu and quit to take a break, but when I started it up again all progress was gone. Back in the mountain village. I guess I should be grateful that my save wasn't "corrupted".

Are you sure your progress was gone? Afaik the game spawns you in the nearest village and cancels any ongoing mission if you save and restart the game. All the items you collected on the way apply though.

d00d3n

Are you sure your progress was gone? Afaik the game spawns you in the nearest village and cancels any ongoing mission if you save and restart the game. All the items you collected on the way apply though.

Yes, 100%. I expected to be spawned in the nearest village, but not that my progress (in this case gathering items, crafting and gaining exp) should be reset (to be fair, it was reset to the last time I visited the mountain village, not to the beginning of the game). One thing that may decrease the likelihood of losing progress is fast traveling back to settlements before saving, I guess. The "menu saving" does not seem to be reliable.

FLAguy954

Hey, what do ya'll think of my AA combination (2x EQAA and Custom SMAA via RadeonPro @ 2560x1600):

radeon1y9sya.png

farcry4.exe_2014-12-1kjsa7.png

farcry4.exe_2014-12-19jsah.png

It's weird. I found that running the game at a higher resolution caused my minimum frames to never dip below ~48 fps (as you can see in the bottom right corner).

Edit: I also have to add that VSR's hardware scaling is amazing. It is better than what I have seen from using a lanzcos filter in GeDoSaTo.

d00d3n

Well 1.5 solved stuttering on my system. I can now set ultra textures with mipmap0 enabled. Finally I can play this game.
*snip*

What settings did you end up using in the end? Asking because I have a similar but slightly less powerful pc.

Resolution?
Refresh rate?
Vsync?
Fur?
Other settings?

riflen

What settings did you end up using in the end? Asking because I have a similar but slightly less powerful pc.

Resolution?
Refresh rate?
Vsync?
Fur?
Other settings?

2560x1440@144Hz
G-Sync mode
Fur=Simulated
Trees Relief=On
God Rays=Enhanced
Ambient Occlusion=SSBC

Anti-Aliasing disabled in game. Forced FXAA on and Anisotropic Filtering to 16x through NVCP. Far Cry 4 SLI profile.

riflen

I'm pretty sure everything else is on max, but I'm not able to check at the moment. I'll pop in later.

EDIT:
16029866735_28753af591_o.png

16029868565_b98c79962d_o.png

Not exactly pristine, but all things considered, it's not awful. The main thing is the game is enjoyable now the majority of obnoxious stuttering is gone.

Qassim

Just tried this game again as it's coming up to the time where I'll actually be setting time aside to play it and the game seems super smooth to me now. A nice consistent frametime (not getting that small issue I mentioned a few posts back in an odd tiny frame time hitch every 30 seconds anymore), high frame rates, low frame times, generally looks all good.

I'm not turning the simulated fur back on though, the noticeable drop in framerate simply isn't worth it. I ran across three monkeys and they must have cut my framerate by nearly 50%.

d00d3n

I'm not turning the simulated fur back on though, the noticeable drop in framerate simply isn't worth it. I ran across three monkeys and they must have cut my framerate by nearly 50%.

Is that difference comparing "simulated" with "off" or compared with ordinary "on"?

That moonlight though.

smfh

The only time nighttime looks good in this game is for about ten seconds right after the spotlight moon goes down and before the sun comes up. All night long I'm waiting for it to get dark and it never does. I can tweak things so that night doesn't look like the middle of a fucking overcast day, but then daytime lighting gets crushed to shit. What a joke.

laxu

That moonlight though.

smfh

The only time nighttime looks good in this game is for about ten seconds right after the spotlight moon goes down and before the sun comes up. All night long I'm waiting for it to get dark and it never does. I can tweak things so that night doesn't look like the middle of a fucking overcast day, but then daytime lighting gets crushed to shit. What a joke.

I don't mind, I hate games and mods that go for super dark can't-see-anything nights for extreme contrast. Lots of GTA4 mods had this crap.

That said, nighttime doesn't look very good in FC4.

pestul

After removing the OP tweaks save for Anisotropic filtering, I find my game really smooth on the 1.5 patch now. Played a solid 3hrs tonight.

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Really weird. After today I just started getting a weird bug with windowed borderless mode. For some reason when the game launches in windowed borderless, it stretches the entire game to take up both my monitors and then zooms in to the top 25% of the screen so I can't see anything. I'm so confused why this just started happening :(
Game was running fine a few days ago.

Zeth

Really weird. After today I just started getting a weird bug with windowed borderless mode. For some reason when the game launches in windowed borderless, it stretches the entire game to take up both my monitors and then zooms in to the top 25% of the screen so I can't see anything. I'm so confused why this just started happening :(
Game was running fine a few days ago.

Happened to me several times since release day. Don't know what causes it, but alt+enter resets it to the correct screen size.

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Happened to me several times since release day. Don't know what causes it, but alt+enter resets it to the correct screen size.

Thanks. It looks like alt+enter just turns it into fullscreen mode. Wonder if there's a way to fix this weird issue so we can still use borderless.

Edit: googled a bit and figured out why. It's because of the DSR factors in the Nvidia control panel. Basically you need to open Nvidia control panel > global settings and uncheck the DSR factors and the game should work fine in borderless again.

That kinda sucks because it looks like I can't use DSR for any games that my GPU can actually handle with DSR on like Dota 2 :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the stuttering mostly fixed now? Have a 580 atm worth buying?

There are mixed reports regarding whether or not 1.5 has addressed stuttering. The mipmap tip in the OP mitigates it significantly at the cost of a reduction of quality in some textures, however the 580's 1.5GB VRAM is going to be the limiting factor in your case -- you'd probably have to settle for medium settings more or less across the board. I'd go for one of the current-gen console (PS4/X1) versions if they're an option.

knerl

780Ti and it still stutters with the 1.5 patch.
Skipping the intro though works with the uplay version again. Don't know why, but all of a sudden it works again. Using the -skipintro command in the shortcut.
Yesterday it didn't work, but today it does. As long as you launch the game with the shortcut even after uplay opens up it skips the intro. Silent update perhaps?
I did change the application detection level in rivatuner to "none" when I noticed it, but changing it back to "low" doesn't change anything.

rBose

Banned
Wednesday and we still don't have a patch meant to fix the memory leak that they've successfully implemented in the last patch. I swear the game ran fine before applying the 1.5 patch.

latest nvidia beta drivers pretty much fixed the performance in this game for me, I'm able to run the recommended settings (mix of high/ultra) on my 970 sli's

hoserx

latest nvidia beta drivers pretty much fixed the performance in this game for me, I'm able to run the recommended settings (mix of high/ultra) on my 970 sli's

I suppose it's time for me to step back into the game. 970 sli here as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Kezen

Banned
Definitely an improvement on my end. Stutter is near non existant now, and I only encountered it when using the wingsuit.

One of my core is still maxed though, that has not changed.

No graphical bugs or anything to report.

Eyothrie

Has the stuttering been fixed? I haven't kept up since launch. I'm wanting to pick this up, but I'm waiting for all the kinks to be worked out.

Vlaphor

Just got the game last night, crashes when I start a new game. Tried removing unplugging the controller and that did nothing. Is this a known problem?

I7 4790k
8gb of ram
GTX 770 2gb

Nm all of that. Just some corrupted files.

rBose

Banned
Just got the game last night, crashes when I start a new game. Tried removing unplugging the controller and that did nothing. Is this a known problem?

I7 4790k
8gb of ram
GTX 770 2gb

I start a new game and it begins to load, then crashes half way through. Sometimes I'll get an error message, sometimes I wont.

It's a known error since the game was released, embarrassing that it wasn't fixed yet.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Far_Cry_4

Take a look there mate, hope you get it fixed

ramshot

Anyone given this a run with the new NVIDIA beta drivers?

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/80913

Stuck at work and dying to know if this has any effect on the stuttering. The latest game patch did improve the situation, but it still isn't/wasn't smooth. How about now?

edit: Bleh, should have looked on the previous page, my bad. Still, some more experiences from people who had the stuttering and have tried the new drivers would be nice.

After experiencing no bugs at all during the bulk of the game I have now run into two unfortunate ones in campaign missions. During the one where you have to protect poppy fields the mission failed out of nowhere telling me that I had let all the fields burn when they were actually all intact. All that time spent sneaking around for nothing :/ I just gunned everyone down when I retried it.

Then in the mission after that one I could no longer climb up rock faces using the rope. I can throw the grapple up there but once I'm on the wall the W and S keys do nothing. I'm kind of surprised since I haven't run into any other bugs like that in my time with the game.

laxu

Then in the mission after that one I could no longer climb up rock faces using the rope. I can throw the grapple up there but once I'm on the wall the W and S keys do nothing. I'm kind of surprised since I haven't run into any other bugs like that in my time with the game.

I had an issue where I could not grapple anything. Dying a few times fixed it.

The latest Nvidia beta drivers do seem to make the game smoother.

Top Bottom