• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Damian.

Banned
The 1.5.0 patch has made in-game streaming worse for me. Now after like 10-15 minutes of playing the game starts accessing the HDD like crazy and the game slows down to a halt. This never happened till 1.4.0. Piloting and driving has become nigh-impossible and my frame-rate has taken a hit as well. This sucks.

This has happened to me a couple of times. An Alt-Tab out and back in fixes it on my end.

Kezen

Banned
Spoke too soon. God rays are still there but they aren't as frequent as previously.
Excuse the crappy Uplay shot :
AgaCQB2.jpg

Finally, and I'd love it if someone could confirm they've noticed the same, there's a crackling issue with the sounds, that seems to be related to me turning my character. If a sound sample is playing and I quickly turn around, there's often some faint crackling in the sounds that is easily reproducible by standing still in the same location and turning quickly. I've tried with both my Xonar STX and integrated sound card, and both show the same symptoms, so I'm thinking it's related to the game somehow instead of my system. Anyone else noticed this, or even better, been able to fix this? It's not easily heard from speakers, but with headphones it's pretty obvious at times.

I have the same kind of cracking sound issue with this game since launch day. I notice it more when going from gameplay to any of the menus, like opening the map. Happens on any audio output that I have tried (audio receiver and headphones).

5820k 4.2ghz
Asus X99-A
16gb DDR4
970 GTX

My overall performance is definitely much worse with the new patch. On version 1.4.0 my VRAM hovered around 1600-1800MB with medium textures and medium-low settings. I would always get above 30 fps so it was as smooth as I could get it except for the microstutter. Now with 1.5.0 the game uses 1900-2000MB and regularly drops below 30 at the same settings.

riflen

My overall performance is definitely much worse with the new patch. On version 1.4.0 my VRAM hovered around 1600-1800MB with medium textures and medium-low settings. I would always get above 30 fps so it was as smooth as I could get it except for the microstutter. Now with 1.5.0 the game uses 1900-2000MB and regularly drops below 30 at the same settings.

It could just be that you're hanging out in a different area of the map now. VRAM usage will fluctuate. You could blow away your GamerProfile.xml file and let it create a new one. Perhaps something got messed up in the update.

ktroopa

ok so upon further inspection and as other have said, god rays ARE still there. the effect have been reduced somewhat and is much less striking. i preferred it pre patch 1.4.

also setting the affinty thing in task manager for FarCry4.exe did make gameplay more smooth for me. dunno what it does exactly but it does make a difference. maybe the next patch will sort this CPU bug.

thanks to riflen :)

b0bbyJ03

970, 3770k here. I shelved this game due to performance when it was released. I tested it yesterday to see if the patch fixed the stuttering and I can say that even tho its not completely fixed the stuttering is not game breaking anymore and is significantly impoved, at least imo. I would probably be able to enjoy it in its current state. Either way, I'll hold off till they improve it even more. From what ive heard the game is actually good so id rather enjoy it then focus on how shitty it performs.

SliChillax

couldnt disagree anymore. ubisoft kiev, the makers of this port, are well known for developing nothing but garbage time and time again. it must be disheartening to be talentless and terrible at your job.

But Far Cry 4 is a great game aside from the technical issues (from what I've heard because I still can't fucking play it) so there is some talent in that studio definitely, they just needed more time or even more talent.

Game is running great for me, but always did since the second patch. I only paid $10 for it though so my expectations weren't all that high I guess.

I run it with a mix of High and Ultra(most on Ultra) AA on SMAA at 1600x900 with Vsync and Triple Buffering enabled. Almost always at 60 for me and minor stutter.I run it off of my SSD.

i5 760 4Ghz
6GB 2x1GB, 2x2GB
GTX 670 at 1150/1700

Working much better than FC3 around this time past launch. For me, anyways.

Savitar

Played it on my laptop that has SLI last night for the first time and it plays flawlessly on Ultra. Looks absolutely beautiful and no stuttering at all for me in the slightest. Only thing I had to change was mouse sensitivity and the look function since it was so slow.

But Far Cry 4 is a great game aside from the technical issues (from what I've heard because I still can't fucking play it) so there is some talent in that studio definitely, they just needed more time or even more talent.

They had no part in making the game tho. They just ported it to pc. You liking the game design is not a reflection of them having dine good work

1.5 FINALLY GOT RID OF CRUSHED BLACKS IN SLI

but wait there's more

now I have weird black artifact boxes popping in and out and a crash-to-desktop

get fucked ubisoft

Kevyt

Is all the cursing and F words necessary for when referring to Ubisoft? I would of thought that's unnecessary, childish and immature...

bootymac

Neo Member
FX6300 (stock)
GTX 770 (1250 MHz)
Patch 1.4

50-60fps with nvidia optimal settings and adaptive vsync. Only stuttered when traveling in a vehicle but the mip maps fix worked. Degradation in texture qualities is neglible in my eyes.

Decided to just run with this as it's butter smooth with good enough graphics. I'm worried that 1.5 will just screw things up

Is all the cursing and F words necessary for when referring to Ubisoft? I would of thought that's unnecessary, childish and immature...

they are literally releasing broken products

i'm in a position were spending 60+ bucks on a pc game and having it not work is a inconvience. Imagine being someone who bought this game digitally, to have the game not work at all, and have no recourse

SliChillax

To some people this is the second or third game this month from Ubisoft that they have spent their hard earned money on and it doesn't function properly. A few swears here and there are nothing compared to the rip off and the hate Ubisoft deserves.

To some people this is the second or third game this month from Ubisoft that they have spent their hard earned money on and it doesn't function properly. A few swears here and there are nothing compared to the rip off and the hate Ubisoft deserves.

+1

Ubisoft deserves it all. Tired of the unfinished games BS. I'm so glad I didn't spend money on both Unity and this because I would have been more pissed.

Zarx

Man the last patch really borked the game for me. Shadows are completely broken on all settings. Soft shadows look like this
ibyw5SjIMfukOw.jpg

all the other settings do this (Low to Ultra)
ike3lktS2owVu.jpg

ibdHZ23GGP1TxB.jpg

basically a wall of shadow crawls across the world as I move.

laxu

Finally, and I'd love it if someone could confirm they've noticed the same, there's a crackling issue with the sounds, that seems to be related to me turning my character. If a sound sample is playing and I quickly turn around, there's often some faint crackling in the sounds that is easily reproducible by standing still in the same location and turning quickly. I've tried with both my Xonar STX and integrated sound card, and both show the same symptoms, so I'm thinking it's related to the game somehow instead of my system. Anyone else noticed this, or even better, been able to fix this? It's not easily heard from speakers, but with headphones it's pretty obvious at times.

I only noticed this in one of the Himalaya levels and thought it was just my Cambridge Audio amplifier (seriously, don't buy anything from them) crapping out.

Otherwise the game still has some artifact issues. For example in caves and indoor locations sometimes it seems there's some lighting issue that looks like there's snakes of light at the edges running along you when you move. Shadows also do weird shit at times.

I really hope Ubisoft devs keep patching this. Skippable intro and cutscenes would be pretty high on my list.

Kezen

Banned
How brutal was the drop?

60 to low 50s as soon as a wolves started approaching me, no drops when there is only one animal with simulated fur and it does not move too much (yak for instance).

I think my framerate would drop to 30 if there were 4-5 animals around me.

FLAguy954

I also had a problem where hairworks wasn't working, looked just the same as with Fur set to On. Tried restarting etc did nothing.

My problem is even worse, when I enable Hairworks, all I can see are a dramatically reduced amount of fur strands being rendered. I'll take a screen shot the next time I play to demonstrate.

Man the last patch really borked the game for me. Shadows are completely broken on all settings. Soft shadows look like this
(pics)
basically a wall of shadow crawls across the world as I move.

I had this happen to me and I had to disable PCSS. It was a while ago and I forget how I fixed it though (on a 970), I googled the fix.

pestul

The lighting seems a little 'off' to me after the 1.5 patch. It's hard to describe, but basically it doesn't look as good.

JRW

My performance increased with 1.5 but the stuttering when driving vehicles is still there, it's just not as intrusive or frequent.

pestul

Thank god I wasn't the only one noticing it...
Yeah, it's almost like we got a Far Cry 3.5 'esque downgrade. The visuals had more of a pop to them before the 1.5 patch. It does run a little smoother on my GTX970 though.

Anyone notice the load times are up too? I have it installed on a fast mechanical drive, but it seems almost twice as long to load into the game to me now.

laxu

Anyone notice the load times are up too? I have it installed on a fast mechanical drive, but it seems almost twice as long to load into the game to me now.

For me it was the opposite. I'm on an SSD though but before 1.5.0 load times were far longer, especially if you died and it resets and loads the same area. On a HDD the load times were annoyingly long at times.

Shari

Can anyone tell me if they fixed the fov reseting when you take down a radio tower or when you drive/glide?

That is the most infuriating thing about this game for me.

Thank you.

GrazGamer

Yeah, it's almost like we got a Far Cry 3.5 'esque downgrade. The visuals had more of a pop to them before the 1.5 patch. It does run a little smoother on my GTX970 though.

Delete the xml files from the Far Cry 4 folder in My Games. I too had the God rays disappear, they are now back just as they were before the patch.

Buburibon

I am hoping the "downgrade" is a bug and not intentional. The difference in lighting is pretty big and quite disappointing to be honest.

Yes, it now takes longer to load even on an SSD.

Damian.

Banned
Is anyone else having trouble manually saving? I don't have the option to just save anymore, and save and quit doesn't work. I have to finish a campaign quest or start one to get the game to save my progress. I have tried turning cloud saves off and running as administrator per some suggestions searching Google, but neither of those seem to work.

hollams

Gold Member
My map filter isn't working, when I'm looking at the map and choose filter goes to another screen and just has the headings. I've restarted the game and it doesn't matter, I would try a new game, but won't because you still can't skip the cut scenes and the intro is very long.

Skyzard

Banned
Spoke too soon. God rays are still there but they aren't as frequent as previously.
Excuse the crappy Uplay shot :
AgaCQB2.jpg

I don't blame you for that mistake, I thought the same thing initially, spent 5 minutes looking at some trees for the rays then exited the game. Glad I already finished it.

What the fuck.

Delete the xml files from the Far Cry 4 folder in My Games. I too had the God rays disappear, they are now back just as they were before the patch.

Will give this a go tomorrow.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Yep, god rays coming through tree branches has been majorly snuffed out.

Extremely disappointing.

The XML reset does make the fur work for me though.

Lovely. Over 30% of my framerate goes (drops to 24 from locked 34) when there are wolves. 780ti sc @ 1215mhz, 4770K at 4.4 ghz. Usually with 60% GPU usage and some weird mix of medium and low cpu usage across the cores.
That was a fun 30 seconds to check it out.

No wonder it wasn't included at launch.

Bugged like PCSS which has shadows flying all over the place (and looks pretty crap imo). No decent TXAA.
Ubisoft have made a mockery of the Nvidia features.

AC just downloaded a 1mb update or something for me. I instantly wonder what they fucked up there.

Skyzard

Banned
They are in this game.

Not in others, usually. Although the consistency is getting worse and worse.

And they still advertise the features to the max.

pestul

I just played a solid 2hrs. The smoothness is definitely improved, but not where I'd like it to be yet. The god rays did look a little better at different times of day, but definitely diminished. It seems they fixed the texture crawl when you're flying around really fast. That was really distracting.

Top Bottom