• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

HT UK

I've got 970 SLI and am wondering what the best solution for the stutter fix is?

I've seen some mention the DisableLoadingMip0 thing, where as others just say lower the textures to Medium stops it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've got 970 SLI and am wondering what the best solution for the stutter fix is?

I've seen some mention the DisableLoadingMip0 thing, where as others just say lower the textures to Medium stops it.

Lowering the texture setting to medium has a much more noticeable impact on texture quality.

pestul

DisableLoadingMip0 gives me very smooth performance.. but at the expense of quality textuers that take me out of the experience of the game.

Corpekata

Banned
This game scales very well with DSR visually, better than others I've tried it on. I'm at this point satisfied with downsampling from 1440 with the disablemip thing visually and performance wise until (if) they patch the stutter out.

OP should add the AF tweak with nvidia CP/inspector as well. The difference is night and day, and it makes the game look much better with DisableLoadingMip.

What is this tweak?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
My GPU has started artifacting slightly after completing this game. I read that other people have had a problem with this game "frying" their card too. Hope it's just a coincidence since mine has certainly got it's uses worth by now.

I suspect that FC4 may have fried my GPU (560 Ti). It was pushing the card into the 80s even at low settings for extended periods of time. Now I can't boot into Windows without a BSOD and have red lines crossing my display. Ah, well. Was time for an upgrade, anyway.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Reinstalled the game due to various AI bugs and scripts outright breaking in the prologue and now everything seems to be running fine.

GTX970 OC'd @1500MHZ
i5 3570K OC'd @4.2GHZ
8GB RAM
1080p res

Game is running like a dream. I was worried this game was going be as unoptimized as Dragon Age and that I wouldn't be able to achieve a solid 60 on Ultra. Only sacrifice was turning off AA and lowering to SSAO but the game is running at a range of 50-70 fps which amazing considering the quality and size of the maps.

My only complaint is the occasional hitching which seems to stem from textures being quickly loaded in but it's a minor gripe.

JaseC

What is this tweak?

The game has no dedicated option for anisotropic filtering but you can force it using the Nvidia control panel or Nvidia Inspector. I'll throw in a little guide for the latter later (I'm not at my PC at the moment).

Just as a general FYI, I always search for my name after having not been on GAF for a while, so if you'd like me to add something to the OP, mention me in the post so I don't miss it.

Evo X

I suspect that FC4 may have fried my GPU (560 Ti). It was pushing the card into the 80s even at low settings for extended periods of time. Now I can't boot into Windows without a BSOD and have red lines crossing my display. Ah, well. Was time for an upgrade, anyway.

Yeah, this game definitely pushes GPUs hard. No other game was having issues, but fort this I had to lower my overclock a bit and add a notch of voltage to maintain stability.

Corpekata

Banned
The game has no dedicated option for anisotropic filtering but you can force it using the Nvidia control panel or Nvidia Inspector. I'll throw in a little guide for the latter later (I'm not at my PC at the moment).

Just as a general FYI, I always search for my name after having not been on GAF for a while, so if you'd like me to add something to the OP, mention me in the post so I don't miss it.

Ah thought it was something different. I have X16 globally already.

Gibbo

All this card frying reports have got me worried. Should i go for the ps4 version instead of risking my 290? It runs like crap in amd cards anyway

JaseC

Games don't kill GPUs.

image.php

Thrakier

Reinstalled the game due to various AI bugs and scripts outright breaking in the prologue and now everything seems to be running fine.

GTX970 OC'd @1500MHZ
i5 3570K OC'd @4.2GHZ
8GB RAM
1080p res

Game is running like a dream. I was worried this game was going be as unoptimized as Dragon Age and that I wouldn't be able to achieve a solid 60 on Ultra. Only sacrifice was turning off AA and lowering to SSAO but the game is running at a range of 50-70 fps which amazing considering the quality and size of the maps.

My only complaint is the occasional hitching which seems to stem from textures being quickly loaded in but it's a minor gripe.

You mean the additional hitching you get to your hitching you get anyway because of your "dreamlike" 50-70FPS.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You mean the additional hitching you get to your hitching you get anyway because of your "dreamlike" 50-70FPS.

I don't notice drops from 50-70 so yea actually.

I'm referring to the game freezing up with a loading circle as I'm traversing large stretches of land. I figured out what the problem was though so it's solved now.

There is definitely something wrong with this game still, my GPU usage goes from 98% to 55% and below randomly for no reason, and this continues to happen while I play causing stuttering like many have described.

Hopefully they fix this mess soon...

Thrakier

I don't notice drops from 50-70 so yea actually.

I'm referring to the game freezing up with a loading circle as I'm traversing large stretches of land. I figured out what the problem was though so it's solved now.

You probably don't notice them since you are so used to unlocked framerates. Try locking your FPS to 60, play for awhile and then go back to your former config.

pestul

GPUMaxBufferedFrames on 3 seems to reduce stuttering, but at the expense of about 5fps avg on my rig.

Oh and thanks for the Anisotropic Filtering fix. It turns out it was FC4s setting in the Gamerprofile.xml that was overriding NVCP. EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I'm getting 16x already, it just doesn't look as good as with other games.

Skyzard

Banned
Great base game, and quite impressive on PC at times but has a few issues:

* Stuttering (disable mipmap) + standing stutter
* Memory leak - I'm afraid after some more progress I won't actually be able to play it without it crashing straight away. I'm at 16GB RAM too.
* Borderless window mode stretches to native resolution, not what you've set your windows or in-game resolution to
* Time and sun position advancing only works when moving or turning
* Black screen with USB devices (like xbox controller) plugged in for some people
* Road popin while driving
* Godray major smear popin near mountains (and imo the smear effect needs to be toned down too, many people see it as an ugly smeared haze)
* It would be nice if the odd delay with rewards, conversations and button prompts sometimes was fixed too.
* Bugged PCSS shadows (check your config file, it's disabled even when set to soft shadows, there's a command: EnableNvidiaPCSS="0", enabling it causes really fucked shadows).

Is the fur working btw? Looks meh to me. Not much better than something on PS3.
TXAA isn't the TXAA I know and love, same with AC:U, Ubi - not a massive problem as SMAA is there and works well (at 2560x1440 anyway) but it's not that wicked TXAA is it.

Playing Far Cry 4 on a high-end PC gives you the power and performance to use Far Cry 4's many PC-exclusive features, effects and technologies, which include NVIDIA HBAO+, NVIDIA PCSS, NVIDIA TXAA, NVIDIA Godrays (sorta), and NVIDIA HairWorks.

Maybe they'll patch it when day1 purchasers have finished their 40hour playthroughs. Maybe not even then. At least it reinforces decisions to wait for a price drop (you'd hope that by then good patches are out) - once regional pricing is stamped out.
--which is a shame because the game is otherwise really fun and great - which makes smaller problems matter more :p

Great base game, and quite impressive on PC at times but a quality PC title it's not.

I hope we hear about (and actually see) a patch soon to address these issues:

* Memory leak - I'm afraid after some more progress I won't actually be able to play it without it crashing straight away. I'm at 16GB RAM too.
* Borderless window mode stretches to native resolution, not what you've set your windows or in-game resolution to
* Black screen with USB devices (like xbox controller) plugged in for some people
* Godray major smear popin near mountains (and imo the smear effect needs to be toned down too, many people see it as an ugly smeared haze)
* It would be nice if the odd delay with rewards, conversations and button prompts sometimes was fixed too.

To top it off:
* Bugged PCSS shadows (check your config file, it's disabled even when set to soft shadows, there's a command: EnableNvidiaPCSS="0", enabling it causes really fucked shadows).

Also when I'm in the chopper, I get barely any CPU or GPU usage, yet I get popin everywhere and a clear square box where the shadows load.
TXAA isn't the TXAA I know and love, same with AC:U, Ubi - not a massive problem as SMAA is there and works well (at 2560x1440 anyway) but it's not that wicked TXAA is it.

I know FC4 came out on PS3 too but come on.

Maybe they'll patch it when day1 purchasers have finished their 40hour playthroughs. Maybe not even then. At least it reinforces decisions to wait for a price drop (you'd hope that by then good patches are out) - once regional pricing is stamped out.

i communicated with andy about the txaa in this title. the problem is the custom resolve and filters get deactivated whenever you move. it works properly if you stand still. i sent him a video and he was able to reproduce the problem and forwarded it to nvidia. heres hoping its an issue nvidia can fix, i have zero faith it will ever get fixed if its on ubisofts end(which is likely is). the txaa in unity seems hopeless.

GTX970 OC'd @1500MHZ
i5 3570K OC'd @4.2GHZ
8GB RAM
1080p res

This is kind of an aside, but how do you like the 3570k with the 970? I'm trying to decide if I should get a new GPU (most likely a 970) but I'm not sure if the 3570k would work well with it. I'm having problems with this game with my 7870 right now.

laxu

This is kind of an aside, but how do you like the 3570k with the 970? I'm trying to decide if I should get a new GPU (most likely a 970) but I'm not sure if the 3570k would work well with it. I'm having problems with this game with my 7870 right now.

Huh? The 3570K is fine for everything for years to come.

So I dropped the texture quality from Ultra to Low, stuttering and hitching is gone , when driving, flying through the world at high speeds. And the difference from Ultra is not THAT great, I only notice it on higher resolution assets like the rhino texture and less than a handful of others. The gameplay is so much MORE fun now i barely if at all stop to look at something so closely to notice or care, instead I enjoy the visuals around me as a blaze through the levels and world in a blaze or stealth and helicopter-based glory.

Phenom 940, ASUS GTX 770 2GB OC2, 4GB RAM. 1080p, my framerate is almost always above 45 and hitting 60 if I do the same for Geometry and Terrain, and up close it's not noticable but I dont care about any pop-in due to lowering those other 2 settings since pop-in will always be visible to some extent since I always fly everywhere anyway. All other settings are ULTRA PCSS/GODRAYS/HAIR/TESSELATION and TXAA are enabled.

So I dropped the texture quality from Ultra to Low, stuttering and hitching is gone , when driving, flying through the world at high speeds. And the difference from Ultra is not THAT great, I only notice it on higher resolution assets like the rhino texture and less than a handful of others. The gameplay is so much MORE fun now i barely if at all stop to look at something so closely to notice or care, instead I enjoy the visuals around me as a blaze through the levels and world in a blaze or stealth and helicopter-based glory.

Phenom 940, ASUS GTX 770 2GB OC2, 4GB RAM. 1080p, my framerate is almost always above 45 and hitting 60 if I do the same for Geometry and Terrain, and up close it's not noticable but I dont care about any pop-in due to lowering those other 2 settings since pop-in will always be visible to some extent since I always fly everywhere anyway. All other settings are ULTRA PCSS/GODRAYS/HAIR/TESSELATION and TXAA are enabled.

The texture quality suffers greatly in several key areas when you drop the setting below 'high' unfortunately. NPC faces and Ajay's hands generally look fine but the environment, animals and weapons take a very noticeable hit in quality. I have to play with the textures on medium because anything higher gives me massive stutter and occasional pauses while the game loads.

I do agree that when blazing through the landscape on an ATV the lower quality textures don't stick out much, but I can't help but notice them when on foot.

Damian.

Banned
Which is the better option for overall IQ, Ultra Textures + LoadingMip=1 or just setting medium textures in the options? Both of these options give me a smooth experience, but both look extremely shitty at times.

Also has Ubisoft made any sort of official comment on this problem other than an Admin in their own forums saying they passed it along to the dev team? Such a trash company.

Great base game, and quite impressive on PC at times but has a few issues:

--which is a shame because the game is otherwise really fun and great - which makes smaller problems matter more :p

The bolded is entirely by design, they seem to like this at Ubi. It works the exact same way in Watch Dogs too.

BTW, people who have stuttering. I noticed a drastic reduction in the stuttering in certain games by disabling pagefile on my SSD. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Damian.

Banned
BTW, people who have stuttering. I noticed a drastic reduction in the stuttering in certain games by disabling pagefile on my SSD. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Everyone who plays this game has the stuttering if they try and use High-Ultra textures without the LoadingMip tweak. Since getting this game I've went through a Windows reinstall, before I had no pagefile for my SSD, now I have it at default Windows settings. Probably placebo, but the game stutters slightly less with pagefile on, FWIW.

riflen

Does the LoadingMip tweak basically just lock the game to medium textures then?

Not exactly. It disables the highest quality texture, normally loaded on certain objects when they're very close to the camera.

I knew there was something fishy with textures after disabling Mip.

DisableLoadingMipO = OFF

http://i.imgur.com/2kgl9iR.jpg

DisableLoadingMipO = ON

http://i.imgur.com/QBkflRn.jpg

In both test cases textures were set to ULTRA

:(

I think visual quality is slightly better with Ultra textures and mipmap0 disabled, because higher texture settings adds normal and specular maps to objects.

I got the game last night (DVD retail), installed it, patched it in UPlay, and played for an hour this morning. Everything was fine until I noticed the physics were going kind of wacky (an eagle bounced about 50 feet off the ground in front of me). Right after that, the game appeared to crash. It went from full screen to a completely black window that covered everything else, even task manager. I had to restart the computer to get out of the program. I launched the game after restarting, and I got to the main menu fine.

Is there any way to prevent this in the future, or do I have to wait for a patch? Here are my specs.

Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz
Windows 8.1
Nvidia GTX 760 2GB VRAM (I'm also using the graphic settings from the GeForce Experience application)
8GB RAM
Also of note, I don't have the game installed on my C drive (my C drive is a 120GB SSD, it's installed on my E drive, a 1TB HDD).

I'll provide more information if needed.

So I bought a Samsung SSD and a uPlay(ugh) code came with it... the question is, will my system run it or should I just sell the code. Here's my specs:

Win 7(for now, until I can get a copy of Win 8.1 to install on said SSD this weekend)
AMD FX-8320
ATI HD7850 1GB
8GB RAM

Skyzard

Banned
I got the game last night (DVD retail), installed it, patched it in UPlay, and played for an hour this morning. Everything was fine until I noticed the physics were going kind of wacky (an eagle bounced about 50 feet off the ground in front of me). Right after that, the game appeared to crash. It went from full screen to a completely black window that covered everything else, even task manager. I had to restart the computer to get out of the program. I launched the game after restarting, and I got to the main menu fine.

Is there any way to prevent this in the future, or do I have to wait for a patch? Here are my specs.

Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz
Windows 8.1
Nvidia GTX 760 2GB VRAM (I'm also using the graphic settings from the GeForce Experience application)
8GB RAM
Also of note, I don't have the game installed on my C drive (my C drive is a 120GB SSD, it's installed on my E drive, a 1TB HDD).

I'll provide more information if needed.

I've heard of the black screen issue when some usb devices are plugged in - they're working on a fix.

I am kinda worried with 8GB since it's gone way over that for me, but it might be just using more since it's available or because I'm on a higher res...but I'm pretty sure there is a memory leak - though I'd imagine windows would warn you before it crashed to turn it off if that was the issue.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

The eagle thing happens to me pretty frequently. It's sometimes pretty funny actually, but it's annoying. Also a deer entered a state where it was just standing still and not reacting to me at all even when I shot it. There have been many bugs. Honestly, it's not as bad as AC:U, but it's pretty bad.

rBose

Banned
So I bought a Samsung SSD and a uPlay(ugh) code came with it... the question is, will my system run it or should I just sell the code. Here's my specs:

Win 7(for now, until I can get a copy of Win 8.1 to install on said SSD this weekend)
AMD FX-8320
ATI HD7850 1GB
8GB RAM

After installing the game on my SSD, I definitely noticed slightly less hiccups, give it a try.

Saiyan-Rox

Can't even get a stable 60FPS on low on this :(

Have a feeling its cause if AMD my 9750 and i5 should be able to run it fine on at least medium right? :S

SliChillax

As a huge fan of Far Cry 3 I couldn't wait to play this but the stuttering is terrible, even on my G-Sync monitor it's unbearable. Good thing I got it for free with my GPU otherwise I would have gone ape shit.

Evo X

As a huge fan of Far Cry 3 I couldn't wait to play this but the stuttering is terrible, even on my G-Sync monitor it's unbearable. Good thing I got it for free with my GPU otherwise I would have gone ape shit.

Do the mipmap fix in the OT. That fixed all the stuttering for me. Game is fun as hell.

Damian.

Banned
It basically gives you Medium+ textures. Not as bad with a bit more overall detail than medium. But still absolutely pathetic we have to do this to have a playable game.

Top Bottom