• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

FLAguy954

Anyone hitting a stable 4k 30fps maxed out on sli?

I can get 2880x1800 @ 30 fps with a single 290 if that helps.

BTW, people who have stuttering. I noticed a drastic reduction in the stuttering in certain games by disabling pagefile on my SSD. Just thought I would throw that out there.

I already have my pagefile moved to my second HDD while the game is on my SSD. I still get stuttering out the ass.

pestul

I've changed my mind again. I'm going to do the disableMip tweak again. I know some of the close in textures look like ass, but the smoothness is just too good to pass up. Especially when flying around in the copter. I hope it's patchable with ultra textures soon though.

Vuze

Will they ever fix the messed up FOV? Fuck, it can't be that hard. The stuttering might be deeper buried problem (I don't really notice any when on the foot btw... just some when quickly driving around) but man, resetting the game after every conquered tower sucks and I can't even enjoy the wingsuit thing I was looking forward to because the FOV is so messed up when using it.

Sickbean

Will they ever fix the messed up FOV? Fuck, it can't be that hard. The stuttering might be deeper buried problem (I don't really notice any when on the foot btw... just some when quickly driving around) but man, resetting the game after every conquered tower sucks and I can't even enjoy the wingsuit thing I was looking forward to because the FOV is so messed up when using it.

What's the issue with the FOV?

I play on PC but connected to a 50" plasma, so the default FOV is probably more appropriate to my use. Moving the slider all the way up doesn't look as 'right' as it does sitting close to a monitor playing CS.

Vuze

What's the issue with the FOV?

I play on PC but connected to a 50" plasma, so the default FOV is probably more appropriate to my use. Moving the slider all the way up doesn't look as 'right' as it does sitting close to a monitor playing CS.
Ah yeah, default FOV is probably fine. It's way too narrow for me playing on a monitor tho, so I have maxed out the slider, feels good. The issue is that the FOV gets reset to default after you conquer a tower and the slider is basically rendered useless until you reload the game (it still shows that the FOV is maxed out but it obviously isn't and sliding around doesn't change anything). Also when in the wingsuit the FOV is completly off, looks extremely zoomed in or something, similar to car in the beginning (http://i3.minus.com/iDuf7rfbuljak.png).

Sickbean

Ah yeah, default FOV is probably fine. It's way too narrow for me playing on a monitor tho, so I have maxed out the slider, feels good. The issue is that the FOV gets reset to default after you conquer a tower and the slider is basically rendered useless until you reload the game (it still shows that the FOV is maxed out but it obviously isn't and sliding around doesn't change anything). Also when in the wingsuit the FOV is completly off, looks extremely zoomed in or something, similar to car in the beginning (http://i3.minus.com/iDuf7rfbuljak.png).

Wow, that is frustrating!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doesn't that ruin the textures though? Is there a comparison showing the difference?

It only affects some textures. There's no harm in giving it a shot: if the changes aren't too your liking then just continue waiting it out.

Skyzard

Banned
I can get 2880x1800 @ 30 fps with a single 290 if that helps.

Thanks. It won't let me use anything between 2560 and 4K on this monitor (doesn't stretch to fullscreen) :/ Wish the game had a slider like with Dragon Age, that is wicked.

Still it looks so pretty at 4K...makes me curious even though I'm not big on using two cards.

riflen

I got some time to fiddle with this game finally. I discovered that it doesn't need to thrash one CPU thread.
To make the game behave itself, start it up, then change the CPU affinity for FarCry4.exe in task manager (right-click the process). Just untick a core and press OK, then immediately change it back to use all cores. Bingo. For my i5 system, the game then utilises all cores much more evenly. So, this is <gasp> a bug.

This also means that high CPU core usage does not contribute to the stuttering, as far as I can tell. I spent a lot of time laboriously testing each graphics setting and it is definitely textures > medium that cause the stuttering on my system (780 Ti) and nothing else.

Further notes: The image-retention that occurs with SLI is not related to temporal anti-aliasing. It still presents if you have no anti-aliasing enabled.

Changes to page file or disabling page file does nothing to help the stuttering problem. I only have SSDs in my system, so for people considering moving the game from HDD to SSD, this will likely do nothing also.

I got some time to fiddle with this game finally. I discovered that it doesn't need to thrash one CPU thread.
To make the game behave itself, start it up, then change the CPU affinity for FarCry4.exe in task manager (right-click the process). Just untick a core and press OK, then immediately change it back to use all cores. Bingo. For my i5 system, the game then utilises all cores much more evenly. So, this is <gasp> a bug.

Woh, what. Could you report that to them?

Damian.

Banned
I ended up using ProcessLasso and disabling Core 3 on my 2600k with FarCry4.exe which causes the game to utilize the 7 remaining logical processors fairly evenly, but it doesn't fix the problem with loading stutter, it only helps in cases where 100% utilization of one core causes framedrops. Very helpful when using the highest in-game settings.

I posted this finding on one of the threads in the official forums, but it's a mad house there with the only official Ubi response to the stuttering problem being something about them working on SLI bugs. :|

Started this game last night but the stutter is so distracting. If the only way to fix it is to run it with essentially medium textures then I won't be touching it again until it is fixed. Fucking Ubisoft.

Just tried to start up this and I think I've got the stuttering going on? I tried the Mip tweak and it doesn't seem any better.

Just to be clear, what I'm experiencing is basically anytime I move the mouse around, the movement seems sort of stuttery and sort of laggy. Like, everything is just stuttering but mostly just when I'm trying to move around. Its really distracting.

Its not my system, since a 4670k and a 970 should be more than adequate.

SliChillax

Just tried to start up this and I think I've got the stuttering going on? I tried the Mip tweak and it doesn't seem any better.

Just to be clear, what I'm experiencing is basically anytime I move the mouse around, the movement seems sort of stuttery and sort of laggy. Like, everything is just stuttering but mostly just when I'm trying to move around. Its really distracting.

It's like playing an online match with shitty internet and it lags, it's unbearable.

Damian.

Banned

The LoadingMip fix only fixes the asset streaming stutter. To fix general microstutter you have to either get lucky and the game plays nice with your system, which is very rare, or you have to find the right combination of Vsync/MaxPreRenderedFrames/Triple Buffering. I was able to get around the microstutter by using NVCP VSync=On/MPRF=2/TB=On in the game options. This along with LoadingMip=1 gives me a smooth, but slightly ugly looking game. It's the best you can do for the time being until Ubisoft feels like fixing the problem.

Great find, I will test this the next time I get a change to play.
I just unlocked the north and a new bank of weapons... really enjoying my time in Kyrat.

I had to do the same thing for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. Thank you for the tip.

---

My experience with the DisableLoadingMip0 tweak has been rather poor. It seems to introduce odd 1-2 frame dips that occur randomly and are much more jarring than the usual microstutter. The textures definitely look a bit nicer than the Medium setting but I'll take smoother gameplay over that any day.

Also, has anyone else noticed this bug with the ambient occlusion? It happens with SSBC and HBAO+

http://fat.gfycat.com/GreatInsecureIberianemeraldlizard.webm

Slowly moving the camera will make it jitter and ghost off of the hand slightly. I've also seen it happen when moving along a wall (AO will trail behind the weapon) and in a few cutscenes on NPC's clothing.

laxu

Further notes: The image-retention that occurs with SLI is not related to temporal anti-aliasing. It still presents if you have no anti-aliasing enabled.

In my experience this only occurs if you use SMAA and go to a menu and back. The menu is somehow overlayed on top or something. If you turn AA to any other setting (including off) and restart the game completely then no image retention is visible.

SliChillax

The LoadingMip fix only fixes the asset streaming stutter. To fix general microstutter you have to either get lucky and the game plays nice with your system, which is very rare, or you have to find the right combination of Vsync/MaxPreRenderedFrames/Triple Buffering. I was able to get around the microstutter by using NVCP VSync=On/MPRF=2/TB=On in the game options. This along with LoadingMip=1 gives me a smooth, but slightly ugly looking game. It's the best you can do for the time being until Ubisoft feels like fixing the problem.

Microstutter is still there even without Vsync or Gsync.

rBose

Banned
I managed to fix the stuttering when driving or turning the camera fast around by setting the mipmap to 1 but as it's been said already the texture quality isn't nice at all.

But anyway, what's with that Live Updates blog ? They've been too silent for too long and people still can't properly play the game that they've paid for.

Damian.

Banned
Microstutter is still there even without Vsync or Gsync.

I know.

I managed to fix the stuttering when driving or turning the camera fast around by setting the mipmap to 1 but as it's been said already the texture quality isn't nice at all.

But anyway, what's with that Live Updates blog ? They've been too silent for too long and people still can't properly play the game that they've paid for.

It's Ubisoft, they will get around to fixing the game as soon as they get done counting the bags of cash we all gave them. :p

I just got an update downloaded on this. Any word on the patch notes?

Edit:

We&#8217;re pleased to say that the newest update, PC Patch 1.4.0, includes fixes to two issues that were affecting users attempting to play Far Cry 4. The new patch should solve the problem causing users to encounter a black screen upon attempting to launch the game, as well as providing a remedy to those who saw a grey screen when reaching the end of an Outpost Master Mission. We expect this to provide a much smoother experience for our players.

Our efforts don&#8217;t stop here. We are investigating topics some players are experiencing including:

1) Mouse Acceleration
2) Key Bindings
3) Black Shadows on SLI

Those should be tackled in future patches.

:/

Skyzard

Banned
Smoother experience ey?

Silent stutterring fix or insulting use of words?

Can't check till I'm home. It's probably the same patch they released and pulled twice.

Lol those points 1-3 still aren't addressed?

Pathetic. People sorted out the acceleration themselves days ago didn't they.

pestul

Smoother experience ey?

Silent stutterring fix or insulting use of words?

Can't check till I'm home. It's probably the same patch they released and pulled twice.

Lol those points 1-3 still aren't addressed?

Pathetic. People sorted out the acceleration themselves days ago didn't they.

Hmm, if they do resolve the mouse acceleration, I wonder what means we'll have to take to make sure it doesn't bork our installations. Might have to return the files to their original state. I'd like to think they're working hard to fix the stuttering, but part of me thinks it will be patched much later when most will have moved on to the next hot game. :/

Pinewood

Anyone here run this with a GTX 460/560 or equivalent card?

1366x768 @ medium settings and the framerate seems 30+ most of the time but the stuttering is atrocious. Haven't looked into optimizing any settings too.

Evo X

Hmmmmm maybe they only just released it for Uplay or something. Fucking useless.

No, I got it from Uplay last week.

Have you by any chance been using a shortcut to launch the game? Because that doesn't prompt the patch update process. You have to specifically launch it through Uplay to get them.

Is anyone else getting random fps drops in certain places?? Like I have 970 and I'm using the mipmap fix along with adaptive vsync and I was getting 60fps maxed out now it's like going crazy wtf...

Vitor711

Uh, quick question - why does setting the game to borderless window mode cap my FPS to 40? Like seriously? What gives?

I would play it fullscreen but the HDMI out is spitting out a blurry image when I do it. I can tell because the MSI readings look super hazy and like there's ghosting. It's bizarre. No other game does this.

Uh, quick question - why does setting the game to borderless window mode cap my FPS to 40? Like seriously? What gives?

I would play it fullscreen but the HDMI out is spitting out a blurry image when I do it. I can tell because the MSI readings look super hazy and like there's ghosting. It's bizarre. No other game does this.

well my experience is this.on borderless the game looks washed and runs worse but the pad controls are way better on full screen looks more vivid an runs better but the lag on the controls ( gamepad) is noticeable

this game is bizarre man...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Same issue I'm having, I was like wtf is going on?!

Yep, same thing is happening on my end. I know it's a minor issue but if you need to restart the game a lot the intro sequence can become extremely tedious to sit through.

laxu

Yeah I wonder if it's a bug or are Ubisoft such douchebags that they decided to patch the game so that you have to sit thru all those tedious intro videos.

Damian.

Banned
Douchebaggery is the answer I assume. There is no reason we should be subjected to any of the intro videos after the first launch of the game. This is unfortunately true with just about every game.

Note to all developers After the initial launch following an installation, never show the intros again unless the user specifies they want to view them again by choosing an option to "View Intro videos"

Update on the next patch:

PC Patch 1.5.0 - Week of December 8th, 2014
PC Patch 1.5.0 will be available next week for download.

Patch Notes:
Added 21:9 aspect ratio support
Added Russian text and subtitles to worldwide game version
Fixed an issue with aim assist
Fixed an issue with grappling if aim button was remapped on another key
Fixed an issue with mouse input
Fixed an issue with movement key binding on mouse buttons
Fixed an issue with Uplay invites in Steam version
Fixed various Controls issues
Fixed various Graphic issues
Fixed various IGE issues
Fixed various Session Browser issues
Fixed various UI issues
NVIDIA graphics preset was removed
Reduced performance drop impact during streaming

laxu

Update on the next patch:

Patch Notes:
Fixed various IGE issues
Fixed various UI issues

That sounds pretty good. So apparently the stutter was streaming textures then? No wonder it seemed slightly less jarring when the game was installed on SSD. I do hope they improve the loading times as they can be just a bit frustrating especially since you often die from accidentally activating wing suit.

I hope SLI issues get solved promptly after too.

guess im not expecting much to actually be fixed in this patch knowing ubisoft. the main thing im curious about is the removal of the nvidia preset. might it have something to do with 4 out of the 5 advertised nvidia effects either missing or bugged?

Patch Notes:
Fixed various IGE issues
Fixed various UI issues

Hopefully one of these fixes the mouse acceleration.

SliChillax

That sounds pretty good. So apparently the stutter was streaming textures then? No wonder it seemed slightly less jarring when the game was installed on SSD. I do hope they improve the loading times as they can be just a bit frustrating especially since you often die from accidentally activating wing suit.

I hope SLI issues get solved promptly after too.

Are we sure that's what it means? I thought it meant streaming like recording and such.

Top Bottom