• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Qassim

I hope the black crush on SLI is fixed, I haven't been interested in playing it yet because I've been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition, so I haven't been too bothered by any issues it has had because I simply haven't played more than 30 minutes of it, but I do plan to!

Kezen

Banned
Sounds good, current fur looks like ass.

It's a good enough approximation and my default option, Hairworks is most likely going to be too much for my 970 to run at 60fps.
God I love PC gaming : it's up to me to chose what compromise I make.
I'm positive I could run this all maxed out at 30fps but I really prefer the beauty of 60fps so I'll write off Hairworks for the time being.

Ultra settings + soft shadows + HBAO+ and enhanced god rays + SMAA = 60fps 99% of the time on my 970, it only dips when I'm franticly blowing things left and right.
It's a definite step up from my 780.
Some games perform significantly faster (10-15fps) on my 970 compared to my previous overclocked 780.

SliChillax

It's a good enough approximation and my default option, Hairworks is most likely going to be too much for my 970 to run at 60fps.
I'm positive I could run this all maxed out at 30fps but I really prefer the beauty of 60fps so I'll write off Hairworks for the time being.

Ultra settings + soft shadows + HBAO+ and enhanced god rays + SMAA = 60fps 99% of the time on my 970, it only dips when I'm franticly blowing things left and right.
Some games perform significantly faster (10-15fps) on my 970 compared to my previous overclocked 780.

Having a Gsync monitor those dips below 60 do not bother me at all, can't wait to see how my 970 will handle everything maxed out with SMAA at 1440p.

Damian.

Banned

Nice exaggeration on 99%. There are lots of dips on even a heavily overclocked 970 on Ultra settings, whether you notice them or not is another story.

Kezen

Banned
Nice exaggeration on 99%. There are lots of dips on even a heavily overclocked 970 on Ultra settings, whether you notice them or not is another story.

They must use different settings than me then although I do get "stuttering" when I'm gliding, does not happen even when driving fast vehicles.
Reminds of the very mild stuttering I had on Watch Dogs around launch.

Can't say I've run into anything aside from those sections and micro-stuttering isn't something that goes unnoticed.

SliChillax

Depends on what res he's playing. I get lot's of stuttering at 1440p with a 2600k 4.5Ghz, 16gb Ram and a G1 970 while using Gsync. It's unplayable seriously and I'm not even that "nitpicky" when it comes to stuttering.

Kezen

Banned
Depends on what res he's playing. I get lot's of stuttering at 1440p with a 2600k 4.5Ghz, 16gb Ram and a G1 970 while using Gsync. It's unplayable seriously and I'm not even that "nitpicky" when it comes to stuttering.

At 1440p a 970 will probably not give you a 60fps experience with all the settings maxed (even without AA). I believe 1080p is a better fit for the 970.

Damian.

Banned
They must use different settings than me then although I do get "stuttering" when I'm gliding, does not happen even when driving fast vehicles.
Reminds of the very mild stuttering I had on Watch Dogs around launch.

Can't say I've run into anything aside from those sections and micro-stuttering isn't something that goes unnoticed.

I'm not talking about the stuttering, just raw power of the GPU in general. At 1080p and Ultra Settings the game stresses the GPU too much to maintain a mostly 60fps experience, you will spend most of the time in the low to mid 50's with a lot of vegetation/trees around.

Kezen

Banned
I'm not talking about the stuttering, just raw power of the GPU in general. At 1080p and Ultra Settings the game stresses the GPU too much to maintain a mostly 60fps experience, you will spend most of the time in the low to mid 50's with a lot of vegetation/trees around.

That would surely be the case if I was running heavy AA but I opted for SMAA instead. The fact that I'm running this at 60fps isn't surprising, PCSS, HBAO+ and enhanced god rays don't have an enormous performance hit (PCSS more still) on my 970.
r1920.png

71fps at 1920*1200 seems about right, I'm playing at 1080p with (compared to the chart above) PCSS, HBAO+ and Nvidia god rays.

That would surely be the case if I was running heavy AA but I opted for SMAA instead. The fact that I'm running this at 60fps isn't surprising, PCSS, HBAO+ and enhanced god rays don't have an enormous performance hit (PCSS more still) on my 970.

71fps at 1920*1200 seems about right, I'm playing at 1080p with (compared to the chart above) PCSS, HBAO+ and Nvidia god rays.

you are 100% correct wrt performance. however you arent playing with PCSS as it doesnt actually activate from what i can tell. i was unable to find any visual or perf differences between the ultra and pcss setting. i believe skyzard mentioned that the config file stays at ultra with pcss selected in game and changing the config file to the pcss setting results in massive graphical issues. yay ubisoft?

Kezen

Banned
you are 100% correct wrt performance. however you arent playing with PCSS as it doesnt actually activate from what i can tell. i was unable to find any visual or perf differences between the ultra and pcss setting. i believe skyzard mentioned that the config file stays at ultra with pcss selected in game and changing the config file to the pcss setting results in massive graphical issues. yay ubisoft?

Really ? I haven't paid extreme attention but I've noticed shadows looking "blurrier" the further away they were from objets when turning on PCSS. It's also responsible for my sub 60dips when there are a lot of shadow casters, Nvidia claim on their site that PCSS run faster on Nvidia GPUs than very high and ultra presets but this is not true in my case.

I'll take a few shots tomorrow (it's 0.14am here).

SliChillax

At 1440p a 970 will probably not give you a 60fps experience with all the settings maxed (even without AA). I believe 1080p is a better fit for the 970.

Did a benchmark with Fraps, a mix of driving and shooting with everything maxed and SMAA, this was the result:

Far Cry 4 - Avg: 54.028 - Min: 10 - Max: 142

Let's hope the stuttering patch improves it.

Really ? I haven't paid extreme attention but I've noticed shadows looking "blurrier" the further away they were from objets when turning on PCSS. It's also responsible for my sub 60dips when there are a lot of shadow casters, Nvidia claim on their site that PCSS run faster on Nvidia GPUs than very high and ultra presets but this is not true in my case.

I'll take a few shots tomorrow (it's 0.14am here).

i didnt thoroughly go looking for differences, but in the opening area after the jeep crash, perf and screens were identical between ultra and pcss.

Kezen

Banned
i didnt thoroughly go looking for differences, but in the opening area after the jeep crash, perf and screens were identical between ultra and pcss.

I'll definitely check, I can't explain why my framerate dips sometimes if ultra shadows and PCSS were one and the same.

Damian.

Banned
Maybe my FOV setting is causing me to run below 60 at times in areas with heavy vegetation and trees? I have it set to 95, which is fairly high above the default setting. This with a 970 clocked at 1420 while playing this game.

Evo X

Where is my fucking Hairworks patch Ubisoft?

They showed it off during the previews at the Nvidia event months ago.

Just installed this thing this morning and kept crashing to desktop. Had to delete FC4.dll and verify game files to get it to launch. Download must be getting corrupted or something.

This game is beautiful... currently running Ultra everything, SSBC, SMAA, "Enhanced" Godrays, Fur on, Trees relief off, and "Sparse" V-sync at 1080p... and it's running at 30fps. Putting V-sync back to normal and I'm getting around 40fps, and since this game is too damn beautiful, I don't give a damn I'm playing it at 30fps lol.

Here's my specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD FX-8320
ATI HD7850 1GB
8GB RAM

Interestingly enough, I installed the game on Windows 7 and played for a bit before I switched and I was able to play it at the same settings but it was only at 20fps. I'm not sure whether it's because Win8.1 has some magical powers, or that I was using the previous vid card drivers but getting a 20fps increase by using the new drivers and Win8.1 seems to be amazing. And no, I didn't install it in my brand new SSD either since I needed the space for something else. It's just running off my previous HDD. Also, I haven't done any of the fixes suggested on the first page.

Anyway, here's hoping the patch can find at least 10 more fps that way I can lock it at 50fps... otherwise, I'll stick to playing at 30fps since it's just sooo beautiful.

Kezen

Banned
I think icecold1983 is correct with regards to shadows, I can't see differences between ultra and PCSS now. How weird, why does my fps take a hit ? I could swear there was a softening with PCSS enabled when I was tweaking my game (around launch)..

Shadows set to "soft shadows" :
XaEvLOT.jpg

Shadows set to "ultra"
xjC51kg.jpg

rBose

Banned
Where is my fucking Hairworks patch Ubisoft?

They showed it off during the previews at the Nvidia event months ago.

It will come out later as a free DLC, too late to enjoy it tho because most of us have already finished the game or will finish it in the next days. (I'm betting 10$ it won't be released this year)

Another fraudulent example of how Goobysoft really is.

And let's not get too "excited" about the 1.5 patch, the only thing related to performance was the texture streaming thing, I don't know about you but I don't think it's going to do shit.

fatchris

It will come out later as a free DLC, too late to enjoy it tho because most of us have already finished the game or will finish it in the next days. (I'm betting 10$ it won't be released this year)

Another fraudulent example of how Goobysoft really is.

And let's not get too "excited" about the 1.5 patch, the only thing related to performance was the texture streaming thing, I don't know about you but I don't think it's going to do shit.

We really need a new thread discussing how broken Ubisoft's game have been during the past year - a thread with the gory details compiled in the OP. It's been fucking atrocious - everything from Watchdogs, to performance issues in Black Flag, to Unity, Far Cry 4 and the Crew. There are still complaints that Ubisoft didn't fix microstutter in Watch Dogs, so I'm not getting my hopes up for Far Cry 4, which is a shame because 3 was one of my favorite games last year.

We really need a new thread discussing how broken Ubisoft's game have been during the past year - a thread with the gory details compiled in the OP. It's been fucking atrocious - everything from Watchdogs, to performance issues in Black Flag, to Unity, Far Cry 4 and the Crew. There are still complaints that Ubisoft didn't fix microstutter in Watch Dogs, so I'm not getting my hopes up for Far Cry 4, which is a shame because 3 was one of my favorite games last year.

Far Cry 3 came out in 2012, bruh.

rBose

Banned

I entirely agree

I think icecold1983 is correct with regards to shadows, I can't see differences between ultra and PCSS now. How weird, why does my fps take a hit ? I could swear there was a softening with PCSS enabled when I was tweaking my game (around launch)..

XaEvLOT.jpg

Shadows set to "ultra"
xjC51kg.jpg

yeah, those 2 screens look the same to me

Seventy70

I still can't believe the stuttering isn't fixed and the Crossfire support still isn't in. What a joke. This was my most anticipated game of the year and I still haven't played it.

SliChillax

http://i.imgur.com/XaEvLOT.jpg[IMG]
Shadows set to "ultra"
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xjC51kg.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I thought PCSS was supposed to make a difference with distant shadows, not up close ones.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I thought PCSS was supposed to make a difference with distant shadows, not up close ones.

No no. The closer an object is to the place it's shadow is being cast, the more well defined it is.

So the top of a tree casts a softer shadow than a branch very near the bottom.

pestul

As does mine (just ran a quick test and was taken straight to the "Press any key" screen). I wonder if those experiencing the issue have the Uplay version?

Yep they only did it to the Ubi version. I've tried everything to make it work even with Steam shortcuts and adding a steam_api.dll (from another game) to the directory in edition to the shortcut.. no dice.

Total douchebaggery.

Top Bottom