• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Evo X

Yep they only did it to the Ubi version. I've tried everything to make it work even with Steam shortcuts and adding a steam_api.dll (from another game) to the directory in edition to the shortcut.. no dice.

Total douchebaggery.

But I have the Uplay version and my skipintro still works. WTF.

pestul

I've found a solution (well farcry3mod on facebook did) that works for the UPlay version to skip intros.

Go here and download the mouse acceleration/intro movie fix mod from December 5th. All you have to do is backup your save games (just in case) and the 'patch_hd.dat' and 'patch_hd.fat' files from the data_win32 directory and then copy the patched ones over. Simple as that.. fixes mouse acceleration and replaces the intro videos with blank .bik videos.

I'm probably going to copy the originals back before the next patch is applied just in case though.

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this or not, but I just bought this game today and was really looking forward to playing it. I can't seem to get my controller working though. It's just a standard 360 pad with the wireless PC adapter that works in every other game on the planet but in Far Cry 4 it doesn't seem to function at all beyond the game acknowledging that I have it attached (and functioning) by switching all the UI to the appropriate buttons.

It makes no sense. I can hit A on the "press any button" screen at the start, but then I can't even hit A to start a new game. After that first screen nothing registers, but all the UI will toggle between kb/m & controller upon any input on either. Anyone have any clue what is happening here? This is frustrating as hell.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I keep fucking crashing on the
first(?) Shangri La level
. So fucking annoying. I just finished the level and it crashed as it was exiting and loading.

rBose

Banned
Who said it's gonna be out today ? I looked on their forums and no one is even talking about it, I think they are keeping it a secret

daninthemix

Just ran this for the first time and I notice I'm getting black screens whenever the screen changes - by alt-tabbing out and back in I can refresh the screen, but every time the menu changes to another I need to do this.

I read something about unplugging all USB devices, which is ridiculous and I am not prepared to do. Is this likely to be addressed in 1.5? Or will it be an nVidia driver fix that sorts it?

LilJoka

Just ran this for the first time and I notice I'm getting black screens whenever the screen changes - by alt-tabbing out and back in I can refresh the screen, but every time the menu changes to another I need to do this.

I read something about unplugging all USB devices, which is ridiculous and I am not prepared to do. Is this likely to be addressed in 1.5? Or will it be an nVidia driver fix that sorts it?

USB problem is meant to have been fixed already. But i don't think it's fully fixed. And no mention of them working on that issue now afaik.

pestul

Anyone get the odd bug of where you complete a mission, but the next time you fast travel/restart the game it starts indicating tasks to be completed from said mission again? Weird.. I actually thought my game was pooched for a while, but I did another mission for a different character and it seems to have fixed it. Is there anyway to create a 2nd or 3rd game save just in case something goes wrong? I guess I could quit and backup the save game from from that section and then rejoin the game. (EDIT: Looks like you have to make sure you disable cloud saves for the game in UPlay though).

Evo X

Downloading the new patch on uplay. I'll post impressions after. I hope it becomes smooth enough not to require that mipmap fix.

Kezen

Banned
Stuttering while gliding with the wingsuit is still there, the patch didn't improve anything on my end.
Shadows are still borked.

Buburibon

Stuttering while gliding with the wingsuit is still there, the patch didn't improve anything on my end.
Shadows are still borked.

Yep, same old stuttering just won't go away. Also, I see they've removed the Nvidia graphics preset, and "HairWorks" still isn't a thing. It's like they don't want me to play the darn game. :p

TXAA still broken. PCSS option works now(no restart required to change shadow levels) but it looks terrible. the draw distance for the PCSS effect where it actually looks better is literally 2 meters in front of you. anything beyond that range looks atrocious compared to the ultra preset and sends shadow aliasing through the roof. i encourage anyone who doubts this to go test it. ultra setting is also about 10% faster.

farcry42014-12-0811-426es5.png

farcry42014-12-0811-4xhiyr.png

i havent regretted spending money on a game this much in a loooooong time. also 16:10 support is confirmed broken/missing on ubi forums.

There's a fan made patch that seems removing stuttering and improve performance:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=395102

I'll see if I can test this later on a friend's PC, but it's worth trying since it's obvious Ubisoft doesn't have a clue how to fix the stuttering.

Holy crap, his patch is around 1GB in size, I wonder what he did, he wont answer the question in the forum but everyone says the hitching is mostly gone, im downloading but making a backup of my folder before I apply it.

Phinor

Hmm. So stuttering is gone on my system (a single GTX 970). There's still some stuttering when driving and moving fast (as is the case with most games when it streams a ton of assets quickly), but when walking or running, the game feels completely smooth now.

I'd declare the game release ready now but it seems like many people still suffer from heavy stuttering.

SliChillax

This also makes me angry at my monitor purchase, 600 pounds for a Gsync monitor to remove stuttering and yet Ubisoft is still here shitting on everything.

rBose

Banned
I wonder what's changed in the patch posted in guru3d, he didn't give away any details about the changes that have been made, I'm curious if the spontaneous fps boost is there because of a ninja mipmap set to 1 in a custom gamerprofile.xml

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah I tried putting everything on low and it still stutters, at least I got the game free with my 970 :p It's what's keeping me sane

well I got mine on here for about £20 from the buy and sell thread so it was much cheaper but that's no good if the game hardly works!

Really regret buying an AMD card nothing but trouble.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder what's changed in the patch posted in guru3d, he didn't give away any details about the changes that have been made, I'm curious if the spontaneous fps boost is there because of a ninja mipmap set to 1 in a custom gamerprofile.xml

That would be one big gamerprofile.xml lol

Evo X

He said he made some changes to the textures so you might not be far off the mark.

riflen

This also makes me angry at my monitor purchase, 600 pounds for a Gsync monitor to remove stuttering and yet Ubisoft is still here shitting on everything.

This is a silly statement. G-Sync will not make poorly coded software magically work, it removes stuttering caused by the limitations of Vsync.

SliChillax

well I got mine on here for about £20 from the buy and sell thread so it was much cheaper but that's no good if the game hardly works!

Really regret buying an AMD card nothing but trouble.

It's not just AMD

This is a silly statement. G-Sync will not make poorly coded software magically work, it removes stuttering caused by the limitations of Vsync.

I know I know I should have said it was sarcasm.

Edit: How do you apply the patch from guru3d? I already extracted all the 4 parts in one folder.

His "patch" is 1GB in size, so he either did something crazy like re-compress all the textures/normal maps, etc in the game, or he is just a troll who uploaded a shit ton of the game's assets and called it a fix for placebo, Im going to give it a try regardless.

Kezen

Banned
"Simulated" fur definitely makes my framerate dip to the low 50s when there is more than one animal on screen. I've been attacked by three tibetan wolves and 60fps wasn't an option then.

I don't know what to do, it's not quite as taxing as I thought it would be and it looks very good but are the drops worth that ? Need to think.

InfYn

Yep, same old stuttering just won't go away. Also, I see they've removed the Nvidia graphics preset, and "HairWorks" still isn't a thing. It's like they don't want me to play the darn game. :p
god damnit.
Yep, no improvements on my end just the addition of hairworks.
god damnit.
Ugh I really regret buying this on PC >< can't even get a stable FPS on low!
Mmmm.

Fucking step it up Ubisoft

Top Bottom