• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Reviews Thread

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
:-/

6ObERga.png

I don't why people are disappointed with Troy Baker's screen time. Look at who tweeted the info, it's either completely false or exaggerated.

joecanada

Sounds good to me. The less story stuff there is the better.

haha this is the correct attitude to have for any far cry game... I mean the story of FC3 was so bad I almost didn't even play the story at all... the story missions were actually a chore to play, but I still enjoyed the game due to the great environments and the world was well done... Far Cry 4 is a no brainer for me and i have a system for anyone like me:

Conquer all the bases, collect skins, side missions, arm yourself to the teeth - then complete story in 30 minutes with rpg's and heavy machine guns blazing.

Win.

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Glad to see that the scores are leaning this way so far with the ones that came in. After seeing what Dragon Age got I was excited for next week as it is.

Figure I am going to be busy in DAI exploring things looking for loot, side quests, and story related things.

Having a game like FC4 to offset a RPG heavy game will be nice. Roaming around having fun blowing stuff up, riding an elephant of war, and other dickish behavior a person can pull off while accomplishing objectives.

damnit ...now im going to have decide to either buy GTA or Far Cry 4..........which one guys D-:
I'm day one FC4. I will pick up GTAV (again) at the end of the month when some friends buy into the ecosystem via the GTAV TLoU bundle on Black Friday. It's going to be a good winter.

MYeager

Yeah, that works better for me as well. I'll have way more fun messing around with it and trying other people's creations.

Ditto, I understand people being disappointed about this versus a multiplayer editor...but this I'd use this way more. Looking forward to the creative additions.

Ubisoft can shove it up their ass, I haven't forgotten the shit they pulled concerning parity with Unity.

Except the only parity was resolution and it should of been lower on both consoles(792p). You should be much more concerned about the terrible framerate, copious amount of bugs, microtransactions, poor AI, little advancement to the formula and refusal to give the game the proper delay it needed rather than their PR excuse for why the game runs like crap.

Its perfectly fine to be angry at Ubisoft for the nonsense they've pulled(I am as well), but "parity" isn't a very legitimate reason compared to the larger issues at hand. You're basically giving Ubi a free pass if "parity" is the main reason why they upset you.

This is a good question, just looking at metacritic, it appears there are no xbox one reviews, which is worrying.........

I wouldn't be worried about the XB1 version. Some of the reviews are for both PS4 and XB1, but Metacritic don't update the page just as they didn't with the PC, 360 and PS3 versions. Polygon even said that both versions (PS4/XB1) were sent out to reviewers. The game is cross gen and they were targeting 1080/30 so it should be fine. Wait on Digital Foundry if you have any doubts though.

AHA-Lambda

Huh.

I'm willing to bet that's grossly exaggerating. It is coming from Mitch, there's no difference between 720p and 1080p, Dyer after all. Dude can't make any comment without throwing a biased or skewed opinion into the mix.

I don't why people are disappointed with Troy Baker's screen time. Look at who tweeted the info, it's either completely false or exaggerated.

Hmm, I need concrete info on this vid if he's only in it 10 mins I'm not bothering.

danowat

Banned
I wouldn't be worried about the XB1 version. Some of the reviews are for both PS4 and XB1, but Metacritic don't update the page just as they didn't with the PC, 360 and PS3 versions. Polygon even said that both versions (PS4/XB1) were sent out to reviewers. The game is cross gen and they were targeting 1080/30 so it should be fine. Wait on Digital Foundry if you have any doubts though.

Already pre-loaded, so it is what it is regardless!

Jtrizzy

yeah I got this with the free code that came with my 970. I loved the graphics and gameplay in 3, obviously the story was awful. Of course video game stories are pretty cringe worthy in general so I can't hold that against it too much.

DA:I (89) and Far Cry 4 (87) are looking great on the reviews.

Fun times ahead

I'm torn, I don't really have the funds to purchase either, but I will probably force myself to buy one. I wish I could get both but then I wouldn't have time to really do both. Dammit, why can't they spread this out.

I'm torn, I don't really have the funds to purchase either, but I will probably force myself to buy one. I wish I could get both but then I wouldn't have time to really do both. Dammit, why can't they spread this out.
Im in the same boat. I will probably just pick a name out of a hat.

Marinlik

Neo Member

I'm gona go GTA V for PS4 first. Then around christmas time I'll buy Far Cry 4 and then I'll pick up DA:I at the beginning of next year when there are fewer games out as I know that DA:I will take a long time to finish.

vesvci

Banned
Wow, a lot of good reviews.

I'll play it around Thanksgiving of next year. I'm sure there will be plenty of used copies by then.

Spoo

I should have gotten Far Cry 4 instead of Unity.

I'm feeling this right now, real, real bad. I want to play Far Cry 4, but I just can't bring myself to give Ubi another dollar. I made the wrong choice, and if Unity were a one-off thing, my response would be: award the good game, shame the bad one. I don't really see that option here, since I've already awarded the bad game, so it's my loss I guess if FC4 is great.

But I will stick to my guns on this I think.

Marinlik

Neo Member
False. The game is CPU bottlenecked but you can often boost a games resolution in that scenario without impact to performance because it's more dependent on the GPU.

Well right now the PS4 version runs worse than the Xbox One version, so I could see why they wouldn't want to add more visual stuff that can affect that already bad framerate.

DOWN

Banned
Well right now the PS4 version runs worse than the Xbox One version, so I could see why they wouldn't want to add more visual stuff that can affect that already bad framerate.
Visually it looks the same as the XB1 version. That means there's definitely GPU room left.

Marinlik

Neo Member
Oh ya, the was the official PR statement. The official PR statement.

Never really care about PR statements. But the PS4 version runs worse than the Xbox One version. Which is probably because the Xbox One has a slightly more powerful CPU, which would mean that the game is CPU limited.

vesvci

Banned
Never really care about PR statements. But the PS4 version runs worse than the Xbox One version. Which is probably because the Xbox One has a slightly more powerful CPU, which would mean that the game is CPU limited.

How about the PC version? Is it running optimally?

Mr E.

Why is the responsibility on them? Can't you spread this out.
Not as if there's limited copies.

Definitely picking this up next week.

I just hope that I have the time.

After all the game I picked up during this week's "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale. I am up to my ears in games.

Marinlik

Neo Member
How about the PC version? Is it running optimally?

Doesn't detract from the fact that must things right now points to the game being very CPU dependent. But the reason it's CPU limited is because they messed up in the optimization and scope of the game.

Certinty

I loved Far Cry 3 but even with the reviews for this I'm not excited. Will probably give it a play when it is cheaper.

I am watching streams on the Playstation Live app and so far it looks like a far more polished Far Cry 3 with an even more interesting and dense world.

Definitely worth the purchase from what I am seeing if you are craving for an actual fun shooter since The New Order.

Vein

Banned
I am still going through 3 and BD lol. I will pick this up on PC. It looks wonderful. I am feeling some GOTY nods here.

I have so much to play right now, especially with GTA and DA coming on Tuesday, but these reviews make me want this now rather than waiting.

I think the season pass with day one single-player content is the main thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Sickbean

haha this is the correct attitude to have for any far cry game... I mean the story of FC3 was so bad I almost didn't even play the story at all... the story missions were actually a chore to play, but I still enjoyed the game due to the great environments and the world was well done... Far Cry 4 is a no brainer for me and i have a system for anyone like me:

Conquer all the bases, collect skins, side missions, arm yourself to the teeth - then complete story in 30 minutes with rpg's and heavy machine guns blazing.

Win.

This is the superior way to play the game tbh.

Top Bottom