• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Reviews Thread

MYeager

Seems like most of the problems reviewers had were things that existed in FC3 and didn't bug me. I bought FC3 when it was cheap, this I'm going to buy day one.

BigDug13

I knew that this game would be probably be an expansion to 3 gameplay, which doesn't bother me, but now I'm hearing that the story might be worse. I didn't think that was even possible.

Almost all videogame stories are crap to me. Just Cause 2 had fuck all for story but it was still fun as hell to parachute around, blowing up bases, and being an all around badass.

As long as this game has the truly important GAME aspects dialed in, I'm in.

Pretty glad I never played FC3. The "it's too much like FC3" complaints are irrelevant to me, and now I get to play it on PS4 instead of experiencing a sluggish FC3 on the old consoles.

Damn, look at those nice reviews. I enjoyed FC3 for a little while and FC4 seems to improve every aspect from FC3 and then some. I'll probably pick it up next year :)

Just ordered a MSI GTX 970 and get to choose between AC: Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew as a free game. Hmm....which shall I choose? :p

Avoid The Crew like a plague.

Ubisoft?
jk2fU-zkc_9JBFa1QB2IWYdVfTuRTu8p2bL_h6NlsetsrLjKqapIiv55LUtQrRJWM8tQrsaQo6sQn8JilxeMTrVKWlUMt56e7hye9uHC6ZVhHjbA_ImM0BtG_1WHsSAS77HrE1Qr3LF_xmmZNOXDIj_NbQ=w500-h182-nc

On my thoughts as well. I won't say that I'll ignore the title, but their track record is pretty bad.

BigDug13

Pretty glad I never played FC3. The "it's too much like FC3" complaints are irrelevant to me, and now I get to play it on PS4 instead of experiencing a sluggish FC3 on the old consoles.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat.

A lot of the review complaints I've been reading amounted to "Far Cry 3 was slightly better for story" or "Far Cry 3's vistas were a bit more impressive to look at". Since I never got around to playing Far Cry 3 on my poor performing laptop, I won't have these ideas detracting me from what this game is. I won't be focused on what this game isn't when compared to its predecessor.

Been looking but can't seem to find the answer, are the challenge maps you can play (and create via the map editor) available in Co-op at all? I know it said no PvP for the map editor but I'm curious if it those challenge maps they have and you can create allow for co-op play at all.

BigDug13

Been looking but can't seem to find the answer, are the challenge maps you can play (and create via the map editor) available in Co-op at all? I know it said no PvP for the map editor but I'm curious if it those challenge maps they have and you can create allow for co-op play at all.

That's a good question. Would be really awesome to have player-made maps available to co-op through with a partner.

Depending on what platform you're rocking I'd say save some money and pick up FC3 first. It's a great game and you'll get a good sense of whether you'll like FC4 from playing it.

I played a little bit at my brother's place. Looked like a game I would've enjoyed.

I think you should play FC3. Fantastic game and even some reviewers prefer it over FC4.

FYI, play the PC version of FC3 if you can. Console versions are shit.

I can't, which is why I didn't play it haha.

Almost all videogame stories are crap to me. Just Cause 2 had fuck all for story but it was still fun as hell to parachute around, blowing up bases, and being an all around badass.

As long as this game has the truly important GAME aspects dialed in, I'm in.
I favor gameplay over story in most games and I am excited to play this but at the same time I thought the team learned their lesson on the obvious problems with 3's story and wanted to improve that with 4. I mean the fact that they decided to have the main protagonist be a native to the land instead of another Jason Brody showed sign of it. Oh well I guess I'll find out soon enough.

sam777

Very disappointed by this, I mean they give the guy a figurine for a special edition, so how on earth could he be in it for only ten minutes.

Anyway I will still enjoy it anyway as I like the world filled with different animals and what not.

OraleeWey

This is from metro gamecentral review " As well as animal helpers you can also call in computer-controlled resistance fighters to aid you, if you collect special tokens. Or alternatively you can call in an actual human via the new co-op option. Unlike Assassin’s Creed Unity this is completely integrated into the main game and whatever the other person does is reflected back in their own save as well.They can’t help out in story missions, but beyond that almost the entire game can be played with two people, by simply pressing the D-pad and asking for help.

The end result is the best co-op experience so far in an open word game. And although nowadays it’s always a lottery as to whether it’ll work at launch or not, once it does it’s sure to ensure the feature becomes a standard in any similar game.

Yeah, see it doesn't have STORY coop. The user I replied to was asking if it had STORY coop, which two other users replied to him saying it does(maybe). The game is coop just not the story missions.

forrest

formerly nacire
Haha, ACU is still a buggy POS on PC so, you know.

Damn, look at those nice reviews. I enjoyed FC3 for a little while and FC4 seems to improve every aspect from FC3 and then some. I'll probably pick it up next year :)

Avoid The Crew like a plague.

Well I thought Far Cry 4 was an easy choice, but after learning it's the same devs that did Unity for PC, it worries me a bit. Either way, I've never really been into the AC series and The Crew doesn't interest me in the slightest. I guess I'll choose Far Cry and hope it turns out better than Unity or is at least patched to be a decent product after it's release.

Well I thought Far Cry 4 was an easy choice, but after learning it's the same devs that did Unity for PC, it worries me a bit. Either way, I've never really been into the AC series and The Crew doesn't interest me in the slightest. I guess I'll choose Far Cry and hope it turns out better than Unity or is at least patched to be a decent product after it's release.

Dunno about PC but it must be a different team almost entirely on consoles, surely?

Jac_Solar

Based on videos and impressions, it seems like the world is about as large as the previous game, so I wonder if that's intentional, or if it's limited by the engine.

I think they should take a page from Gothic's world building: a genuine sense of adventure from exploration. As in, they should implement more "caves", more vegetation and thicker forests to cover up interesting things, more variation in general, a much larger world, and of course, not have every "point of interest" on the map.

Elginer

At least these doesn't seem to be a glitch filled shit show like ACU. Never played more than 30 mins of Far Cry 3 at a friends house so am looking forward to 4, even if it seems to be nothing more than the same set in a new world.

BigDug13

Maybe same devs did the port job, but on one hand, you have a dev studio porting a well optimized game that runs great on consoles with few bugs to PC, then you have the same studio trying to port a rushed game that is totally unoptimized and full of bugs to PC.

I just don't think the results will end up being the same even though it's the same porting studio. The problem with Unity is more in the base product from the base developer and not necessarily just the porting team.

Or hell, maybe it will also end up crappy. I mean there must be some reason for the review embargo on PC.

Thank you PS+ for showing me the brilliance that was Far Cry 3. I did not care an ounce for that game at release but now I'm ready for FC4, especially co-op madness

Encouraging to see good scores after the mess that was Unity. Hopefully lessons are being learnt

Haha, ACU is still a buggy POS on PC so, you know.

Too bad we know that FC4 is being ported by Ubisoft Kiev and that theres not PC review copies going out (until Monday?)

I get my code in a few weeks too, will have to hope FC4 is good, dunno if i wanna deal with acu's companion app locked chests

So we basically saw all his appearances in trailers.

I also don't like Mitch revealing that in a damn tweet. If I wanted to know story stuff I would read his review which isn't done.
I don't like that there's a GAF thread about it. But hey indirect spoilers aren't really spoilers.

Top Bottom