• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

This is not Far Cry 4.5. This is not Far Cry 3.6. This is Far Cry Primal.

fM8vqBl.png

• Platforms: Xbox One, Playstation 4, Windows (March 1, 2016)
  • Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
  • Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Price: Full Price Retail
  • Format: Physical and Digital

The Setting
You take on the role of Takkar, a Wenja tribesman during the Mesolithic period (10,000 B.C.E.). The world is called Oros, which is located in a valley in Europe. The developers took time to make the setting different in the hope that the player would really feel like they were taken back in time. The wildlife is different and exotic, as is the language. Takkar's goal is to make the Wenja tribe the strongest in all the valley.

SgZBSW0.png

What's in?
  • Beast taming
  • Extensive crafting system
  • Night and day system that effects gameplay
  • A brand new language the developers created (Youtube
  • A new world to explore full of things to do
  • Riding mammoths
  • Saber-tooth tigers
What's out?
  • Ubisoft towers (replaced with bases)
  • Guns
  • Vehicles
  • That awesome helicopter
  • Co-op mode
  • Multiplayer
  • Map editor

DKElFoN.png

Trailers

Reveal Trailer

Story Trailer

Basics 101 Trailer

TV Spot

GIFs

qrnDkNx.png

NeoGAF Review Thread

Video Review!

4MmWh9K.png

Are you sure this game is not Far Cry 3 re-skinned??
Yes. This is a new game built from the ground up. Please see the reviews above for more discussion. They're worth your time.

Is this Far Cry 4.1?
No. Stop asking.

Is this kind of like Blood Dragon was to Far Cry 3?
Only in the sense that this is a non-numbered entry to the series. This is a full retail game and it contains all the content you would expect from a AAA game of that quality. Ubisoft envisions Primal as a full-fledged Far Cry game - it's not a side project.

I'm worried the combat won't be as good without guns...
A valid concern. Ubisoft Montreal worked hard to make sure the combat was interesting and rewarding. Check out the reviews to find out how effective they were.

Co-op?
Nope.

This is my first OT (my first thread actually) and I only had about an hour to make it. Hopefully it meets the standards! If anyone has any advice or criticism, I welcome it. Thanks for reading and enjoy the game.

Evo X

Good job!

I'm glad this game got an OT, even if it's a simple one. Maybe we can get some people over from the review thread to start posting here now.

Karak

Lets post up in this thing! LOL.

I think their idea to branch out and use the tamable creatures as a replacement/extension of weapons is brilliant. I know people count guns or spears in some kind of odd comparison thing. But with each animal having special traits it really does solidify that feeling of man and beast and with 14 of them its nice to have this big mix especially as some of them...are a bit hard to get.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally! This game deserves way more attention than it is getting. It is going to surprise a lot of people who decide to get it.

Nice title! Kinda tempted by this game tbh... I quit FC4 after like 5 hours because it felt too similar to FC3 but that was way back near when it came out. Maybe now I'm ready for another FC.

Thewonandonly

About ready to play this game just got to eat real quick preety pumped. Good job on the OP nice and simple honestly just glad someone made it ;)

ironcreed

Banned
Nice title! Kinda tempted by this game tbh... I quit FC4 after like 5 hours because it felt too similar to FC3 but that was way back near when it came out. Maybe now I'm ready for another FC.

I got a a little burned out on FC4 as well, but this has sucked me in from the very start. It is easily the most unique game of the series and it also looks and plays better as well.

Question - how are towers replaced with bases, when FC3 and FC4 had bases (outposts) too? Does this just mean that capturing a base reveals territory instead?

Karak

Question - how are towers replaced with bases, when FC3 and FC4 had bases (outposts) too? Does this just mean that capturing a base reveals territory instead?

They don't really reveal territory at all actually. In fact its much closer to other open world games than past Ubi games. You just take it over and can fast travel and get bonuses from that camp and find additional firepits nearby.
The reason why its stated that way is because people absolutely refused to believe that climbing to the top of something wasn't in the game lol.

I got my copy yesterday, played a little bit. Seems like more Far Cry which is exactly what I wanted. I'm not really missing guns since I played most of FC4 with a bow anyways. I will miss that little helicopter though.

They don't really reveal territory at all actually. In fact its much closer to other open world games than past Ubi games. You just take it over and can fast travel and get bonuses from that camp and find additional firepits nearby.
The reason why its stated that way is because people absolutely refused to believe that climbing to the top of something wasn't in the game lol.

Ah, ok, thanks. It kind of is hard to believe ;-) I'm surprised they didn't go the AC3 route of having really big trees. Though that would require a more robust climbing system than FC typically has.

Karak

Ah, ok, thanks. It kind of is hard to believe ;-) I'm surprised they didn't go the AC3 route of having really big trees. Though that would require a more robust climbing system than FC typically has.
They also cut down on collectibles. Less than 1/2 of those in FC4. Which is really nice and they sort of make more sense. Exploring caves to learn about your ancestors and find cave paintings from them and stuff like that.

Its not perfect or anything. Just a good solid title that does some stuff different

killroy87

Got my copy arriving today, can't wait! I'm quick to complain about devs never utilizing interesting setting for their FPS titles, so it'd be mighty hypocritical of me to not support one that does.

Piggybacking an underutilized setting like this onto a huge franchise like Far Cry is a good way for some actual variety in the genre to begin

Thewonandonly

Damn their is literally no hype for this game and it's preety sad :( I can't wait to try it in like 20 minutes but no one else seems to care. Everyone just things it's a cash grap but I bought it to support the new setting as I hope far cry does more crazy shit in the future. Hell have far cry do some time travel stuff that would be awsome.

UCBooties

Really good looking OT!

I'm on the fence about this. I think it looks pretty fun but the reviews paint it as a fairly bland experience without any high points in the design like set-pieces or unique missions. That was my biggest problem with Just Cause 3, so I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump into another Open World game where the moment to moment game is fun but there's no larger momentum to keep it going.

The Flash

Banned
I think I'll take a chance on this. I'm not a huge Far Cry person (only played a little of 3) but I'm liking the premise of this one.

ironcreed

Banned
Really good looking OT!

I'm on the fence about this. I think it looks pretty fun but the reviews paint it as a fairly bland experience without any high points in the design like set-pieces or unique missions. That was my biggest problem with Just Cause 3, so I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump into another Open World game where the moment to moment game is fun but there's no larger momentum to keep it going.

Check out some of the more favorable reviews. The world and atmosphere alone make it far from bland. It also looks beautiful and plays extremely well.

I have bought and played every Far Cry day 1 but this one just doesn't speak out to me....but yet I am tempted. I love the bow in the last few FC games....hmm

Any impressions on the PS4 performance?

Karak

My review and impressions on performance it also has a link to the nohud gameplay and the preview if your on the edge.
Video

I have bought and played every Far Cry day 1 but this one just doesn't speak out to me....but yet I am tempted. I love the bow in the last few FC games....hmm

Any impressions on the PS4 performance?
PS4 is solid. The game performance is better on both versions than FC on its initial release

Fliesen

I'm really digging the game.

Already gotten side-tracked like crazy. 2 1/2 hours in and just got my hands on this guy (which, if you beeline the game, is around 15-30 minutes in)

26FPCPEeVo2Ww6n2o.gif

'shoo ... shoo ...'

killed like 9 bears already, i feel like a Matador whenever i engage one.
117714-004-21FFC06C.jpg

SeanTSC

Waiting on UPS to get here, probably won't be for another few hours. I'm pretty excited to play this today. Been playing the shit out of turn-based RPGs and I need a break with some Action.

joeajs

Banned
I am currently on normal difficulty. It says that if I change the difficulty, I will take more damage. Is this the only effect changing the difficulty has? Anyone know if the enemies are stronger. I am currently playing on normal, encountered some deer with really long horns, I shot probably six arrows into this guy and he still managed to kick my ass. Based on that experience alone, I think normal is good for me.

As a side note, really liking the game so far. The setting is amazing and I love how the characters speak a different language. Adds to the immersion of being in an unknown world.

I've had this preloaded on the Xbox One, but couldn't play due to the XBL issues and now have to leave town for a few days. Ah well.

Looking forward to playing this once back.
Also, great OT title.

Top Bottom