• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

rdytoroll

Put nearly 4 hours into this last night. Just couldn't put it down! Though I am a sucker for these open world games. "Just one more '?'... Wait, but that bonfire..."

The one exception, was the 2nd side mission from the animal guy:
The mammoth vs. rhino army one. Poor mechanics and WAY too long.

You're talking about the Special edition missions, right? Yeah, that was absolutely hilarious. The controls and the whole mission were so poor. The game is awesome tho

aro52

You're talking about the Special edition missions, right? Yeah, that was absolutely hilarious. The controls and the whole mission were so poor. The game is awesome tho

Ah. I didn't know it was an add-on. It just came with my PSN digital copy. I'm sure glad I didn't pay extra for it!

ironcreed

Banned
One thing I really really love about this is that the environments, the atmosphere and things like the trees, cliffs, rocks, plants just look like they'd come from the stone age. It doesn't look a contemporary wild earth. Looks fantastic.

Exactly. They absolutely nailed it.

Thewonandonly

This game is really really good so far. I'm playing it on hard right now and it's preety intense. Just cleared my first outpost buy lighting the tepees on fire with ignited arrows. Sadly I haven't progressed in the main mission at all in the last two hours. But theirs always one more side missions close to where you are ;)

Ps don't fuck with bears!!!

Ps don't fuck with bears!!!

Definitely.

My first bear encounter ended up with me throwing 2 spears and putting 3 arrows in its body before it ended up eating me.

This game, though. The atmosphere is terrific. I also like the added attention to detail that some animals migrate to pools of water.

Thewonandonly

Definitely.

My first bear encounter ended up with me throwing 2 spears and putting 3 arrows in its body before it ended up eating me.

This game, though. The atmosphere is terrific. I also like the added attention to detail that some animals migrate to pools of water.
Right 2 spears, two clubs, and then like 3 arrows and it still ate me. I've noticed animals at pools to it's preety awsome little detail. This may be looking at taking my favorite spot for a far cry game :)

Also dude above me: it's really not that hard to get resources just if you see a shiny thing go to it. Also you can retrieve arrows, clubs, and spears so far.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Best Buy deluxe edition looks really good. For $10 extra you get a Steelbook, foldout map, in game content, etc. Good to consider for people who like little extras with their game.

How limited are resources? Do you have to be smart with arrows and spears? I understand you can retrieve some things.

I already had 16 arrows after an hour and can create another 20 on the fly without looking for resources.

The tougher the weapon gets, the more resources you need for it though.

Karak

Right 2 spears, two clubs, and then like 3 arrows and it still ate me. I've noticed animals at pools to it's preety awsome little detail. This may be looking at taking my favorite spot for a far cry game :)

Also dude above me: it's really not that hard to get resources just if you see a shiny thing go to it. Also you can retrieve arrows, clubs, and spears so far.

Fire arrows and bee traps make short work of bears.

Crumbtiny

Was anyone able to buy this digitally over Xbox live today? Wondering if I should just pick the game up on the way home instead.

Anyone have issues playing the physical game on Xbox?

Karak

No Co op?

What

It would be pretty weird to have the story be about Takker and his best friend Wilbur who just walks beside him and collects branches, It is quite literally a story about a single cavemans rise to leadership and why.

Thats not to say it couldn't be Far Cry Primal 2. The search for more sticks staring Takkar and Wlbur.

When I won against a bear for the first time, felt like:

00800972f5465dc58449d4ba198441fa.jpg

Really digging it overall, and I'm still early!

Ricker

Yep,my first and only death so far is from a bear...Bear on fire,he doesnt care lol and kills me ;),I was just trying out my spear also.

You guys are making me want to pick this up, probably gonna trade in a few things and use GCU for it. I got a sealed copy of Just Cause 3 for PS4 that I never played lol.

It would be pretty weird to have the story be about Takker and his best friend Wilbur who just walks beside him and collects branches, It is quite literally a story about a single cavemans rise to leadership and why.

Thats not to say it couldn't be Far Cry Primal 2. The search for more sticks staring Takkar and Wlbur.

You can have coop even with a Story..

Halo 1 and 2 did that just fine. There was IMO no excuse to have no coop. Would make the game way more interesting.

Karak

Yep,my first and only death so far is from a bear...Bear on fire,he doesnt care lol and kills me ;),I was just trying out my spear also.

One thing that can suck are the hairy rhinos. When they are on fire they go nuts for like 5 minutes and you can find yourself in the middle of a forest fire with no escape. Happened countless times to me. But if you try to take them out(early) any other way they destroy you...and trees, and the world trying to get to you.
You can have coop even with a Story..

Halo 1 and 2 did that just fine. There was IMO no excuse to have no coop. Would make the game way more interesting.

And I love halo. Decrying its absence has become the new hipster thing since replacing the constant cry to have MP in every game.
Also Co-op does indeed require additional resources and changes to the gameplay especially a gathering game.
No excuse to spend the resources to have it.

ironcreed

Banned
Oros might end up being one of my favorite game worlds. I just love the atmosphere, the stone age vibe that everything has and how it all looks. It's amazing and you appreciate the hell out it because you are not driving around and don't have jeeps full of guys barreling around every corner screaming, "There he is!" Totally different feel to this game.

chippie

I was probably looking at my phone during a tutorial but is there a switch to last weapon button? (PS4) Using the weapon wheel to swap from bow to club is a bit akward

Karak

Oros might end up being one of my favorite game worlds. I just love the atmosphere, the stone age vibe that everything has and how it all looks. It's amazing and you appreciate the hell out it because you are not driving around and don't have jeeps full of guys barreling around every corner screaming, "There he is!" Totally different feel to this game.

I think one of the best parts about it is the verticality. There is a great deal that DOESN'T require climbing which actually helps you experience it a bit easier.
I was probably looking at my phone during a tutorial but is there a switch to last weapon button (PS4) ? Using the weapon wheel to swap from bow to club is a bit akward

For a bit this doesn't work until you have additional stuff but its Y on XBOX so...what triangle than? Not sure but its there.

So I was hesitant about picking this up (not sure why, as I have always loved Far Cry games) but bit the bullet and preloaded on PS4 a couple of days ago. I'm so glad I did. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was so immersed in a game environment. I only played for a couple of hours last night but hats off to Ubisoft, IMO they seriously nailed it.

Several times during my play session I found myself just standing and looking, listening to the wind in the trees, and taking it all in (having a decent pair of headphones is recommended!). The atmosphere when night falls is pretty damn amazing as well.

I know the story has been criticized in reviews, but to be honest I have never really connected with previous Far Cry protagonists. In this game (at least so far) I feel like I connect to Takkar on a basic human survival level.

I know I've only played for a couple of hours, but signs are good. I really hope this does OK for Ubisoft, and I wish more big studios would take risks like this.

Edit: Forgot to mention how well it runs and how good it looks. All that foliage! Game is gorgeous.

Karak

So I was hesitant about picking this up (not sure why, as I have always loved Far Cry games) but bit the bullet and preloaded on PS4 a couple of days ago. I'm so glad I did. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was so immersed in a game environment. I only played for a couple of hours last night but hats off to Ubisoft, IMO they seriously nailed it.

Several times during my play session I found myself just standing and looking, listening to the wind in the trees, and taking it all in (having a decent pair of headphones is recommended!). The atmosphere when night falls is pretty damn amazing as well.

I know the story has been criticized in reviews, but to be honest I have never really connected with previous Far Cry protagonists. In this game (at least so far) I feel like I connect to Takkar on a basic human survival level.

I know I've only played for a couple of hours, but signs are good. I really hope this does OK for Ubisoft, and I wish more big studios would take risks like this.
I didn't know the story had been criticized. Its actually pretty ok. I agree. Not sure...how much one could criticize this story compared to others but the dreams, and pushing of Takkar as a leader were done well I thought. Very well. For a story with a basic language base.

0racle

Hey guys

I understand there are certain fast travel bon fires that have a red icon, this is for fast travel but around the map there are numerous smaller fires you can light, what do they do?

chippie

I think one of the best parts about it is the verticality. There is a great deal that DOESN'T require climbing which actually helps you experience it a bit easier.

For a bit this doesn't work until you have additional stuff but its Y on XBOX so...what triangle than? Not sure but its there.

Thanks. I'm not too far in, just got to the shaman guy so I probably haven't unlocked it yet.

Karak

Hey guys

I understand there are certain fast travel bon fires that have a red icon, this is for fast travel but around the map there are numerous smaller fires you can light, what do they do?

Hover over it. It should state what bonuses you get.

Karak

Thanks

I am enjoying the game so far. I do find it somewhat confusing though due to the controls. there are too many things to remember or maybe im just getting old.....

Let me guess the ability to throw every melee weapon?
That caused havoc with the folks I showed it to. They were accustomed to SOME weapons being throwable but get them in a battle and suddenly they were throwing clubs trying to stab with the bow and then tossing the wrong special weapon. It really took them awhile for some reason.
It even caused issues when they weren't thinking of throwing them because they were then worried about throwing them lol

0racle

Let me guess the ability to throw every melee weapon?
That caused havoc with the folks I showed it to. They were accustomed to SOME weapons being throwable but get them in a battle and suddenly they were throwing clubs trying to stab with the bow and then tossing the wrong special weapon. It really took them awhile for some reason.
It even caused issues when they weren't thinking of throwing them because they were then worried about throwing them lol

I think its mainly the controls for the beasts to be honest. Im sure it will click but its just too much to manage during battle.

also when you tame an animal and they die, do you need to tame another one? or can I call them back any time after a set cool down?

and when I encounter new animals that I can tame how do I know? different icon or anything of that nature or do I need to remember I need a lion or panther etc.

Fliesen

i really dig the way that they weave NPCs, village upgrades and character skills into one unified system.

And i LOVE my black panther pet.

Owl + black panther are so much more fun (and cheesy) than the silenced high caliber sniper in the previous games.

I think its mainly the controls for the beasts to be honest. Im sure it will click but its just too much to manage during battle.

also when you tame an animal and they die, do you need to tame another one? or can I call them back any time after a set cool down?

and when I encounter new animals that I can tame how do I know? different icon or anything of that nature or do I need to remember I need a lion or panther etc.

1. "aim at enemy with L2 and 'shoot your beast' at it with R1"
2. When it goes down, it'll be wounded and you can heal it right then and there, or it'll be locked and you'll have to unlock / revive it by spending a red herb. No need to re-tame another one
3. The player character will literally say "i can tame that beast" :)

Karak

Nope if you have the red special plants you can bring them back.
IF you can tame an animal Takkar will say so.

I was asking how 4 ran on PC. I'm guessing Primal's performance will be comparable.
Apologies for that.,
4 ran like shit then got patches and worked well for me personally.

Primal is using a rejiggered renderer with a good deal of optimizations and additional post processing effects changes that they have detailed in a couple interviews..which might be why we see the extra week and no pc code release. Or it means nothing.

Drakeon

Am I the only one who thought this was another Blood Dragon and was gonna be like $20? I saw it at Best Buy for $60 today and was shocked.

Top Bottom