• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

maxcriden

Just finished and digesting the finale.

1) what did Peggy mean when she referred to 'that Gerhardt on the TV'?

2) about the universal language of pics...well...there was more to it, right? Definitely drawings of crop circles? Or just a coincidence?

3) hanzee. The kids on the playground were the hitmen from s1. But we're we supposed to know who his new face was going to end up being, and who the guy who gave him his new papers was? Oh...and what's the significance of Tripoli?

stop spoiling The Shield guys ffs

Hateful and ridiculously repetitive show. You're not missing much.

Can anyone reaffirm that I'm correct in thinking earlier in the season Woodbine said in an interview that the casting call for Mike Milligan called for a fat Italian guy?

Because that would almost make it seem like they early on intended to have Mike become Mr. Tripoli from Season 1.

latest

SeanC

I love things that don't spell it out for you and you have to think, or for allegories and metaphors, but I'm not a big fan of weird for sake of weird or being overly cryptic. As good as season 2 was, and it was damn good, its weakest moments were when it was trying to be too clever or too strange. The UFO is a great example of this - the show didn't need it, it added nothing to the narrative other than to pull a Lost-esque "hey, look at this thing over here!" Or the sudden "storytime" framing of last week's episode that also added nothing.

The show was strongest without that kind of junk - its setting, directing, cinematography, dialogue, crime plot and acting were doing just fine and didn't need any help just to be "different."

Can anyone reaffirm that I'm correct in thinking earlier in the season Woodbine said in an interview that the casting call for Mike Milligan called for a fat Italian guy?

Because that would almost make it seem like they early on intended to have Mike become Mr. Tripoli from Season 1.

latest
Here.
Mike Milligan is distinct among Fargo's ensemble, but also in the landscape of your career.

When I first heard about the role and I got the e-mail saying I had to audition for it, I thought it was a mistake. I called my agent and said, "Hey, this is an audition for a 50-year-old, potbellied Italian cat. [Laughs] And their answer is generally, “Well, that’s what they have written, but just go in there and show what you can do and maybe you can change their mind.” Rarely does it happen, but I’ve been able to sway people. Fargo is such a specific thing and has such a specific resonance that I really didn’t see myself in that world, and the material that I got was so limited, so it really struck me as odd to say the least. But at the same time, being a Fargo-phile and having so much respect and reverence for the film -- and things that it represents as far as pushing the envelope -- I was definitely compelled to try.
However, Hawley said this in the Variety interview:
As fans of the first season noted, the second season ends with Zahn McClarnon’s now-fugitive Hanzee assuming the new identity of Moses Tripoli. Mr. Tripoli was the mob boss who employed Sam Hess, the bully who pestered Martin Freeman’s Lester Nygaard in Season 1 that helped set off that chain of bloody events. Mr. Tripoli also had two henchmen, Mr. Wrench and Mr. Numbers — one who is hearing impaired just like one of the boys playing in the field the last time we see Hanzee at the end of Season 2.

Hawley said the writers decided to add this twist “as we were breaking the second half of the season.”

“There’s always a kind of gut check with these things,” he said. “Are we being clever just to be clever or is there a really compelling character reason to add a twist like that in the end? The idea is that we will connect each story to the other stories in the canon, including the film. I think the idea with the Mr. Tripoli evolution was I like the idea that Hanzee emerges from this story as a winner, on some level, and this is really an origin story for him as much as it is an origin story for [Allison Tolman’s] Molly, who’s six years old [in Season 2].”

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the finale was great, minus that weird "Hanzee became a white dude and was unceremoniously offed by Malvo in that one episode in the first season" thing. Even in a show with UFOs, I thought that was a huge stretch.

I did really like Milligan's fate though. It was the perfect ending for his character.

Also, Kirsten Dunst was phenomenal.

I thought the finale was great, minus that weird "Hanzee became a white dude and was unceremoniously offed by Malvo in that one episode in the first season" thing. Even in a show with UFOs, I thought that was a huge stretch.

I did really like Milligan's fate though. It was the perfect ending for his character.

Also, Kirsten Dunst was phenomenal.

Wait, what. Malvo offed hanzee?

Turin

Banned
Yeah. The whole Hanzee=Tripoli thing gets more annoying the longer you think about it. That bit of info soured an otherwise good scene.

I liked everything else about the episode. Peggy and Mike's respective stories turned out in a satisfying way. The Solversons as well. Betsy's kind of an unsung hero in this story.

Yeah, sorry to keep harping on it, it's just that outside of a few little niggles this was one of my favorite seasons of TV of all time, and I found Hanzee (along with Peggy) the most interesting character. So having the rug pulled out from under me in the last few minutes with that silly Tripoli stuff kinda sucked.

I do look forward to Saty's comments on this one, hahaha.

rtcn63

Called Hanzee being Otto's bastard. Half-siblings are a common things in these parts, and I could see it being the driving force behind his anger.

And I may have missed it- what happened to Hanzee's face? Was it from this episode or last?

Called Hanzee being Otto's bastard. Half-siblings are a common things in these parts, and I could see it being the driving force behind his anger.

And I may have missed it- what happened to Hanzee's face? Was it from this episode or last?

While him being Ottos is briefly touched on, kinda-sorta implied a couple times, nothing concrete unless I missed something. I read his elementary school scene as confirming he wasn't.

His face is due to Peggy throwing hot water/coffee in his face when they were running out of the motel room during the massacre (ep. 209).

Siegmeyer

Despite having seen all 9 episodes thus far (UK here), the last episode was the only one I sat through the credits for, and it left me wondering why Dave Chappelle was uncredited. A quick trip to IMDB made me feel pretty foolish. I'd spent the entire season thnking how great a job he was doing. I think the inlusion of Key and Peele last season helped tricked my brain into thinking they'd gone with another random comedian casting. I haven't been following the thread but I can't be the only one who's been fooled by Woodbine, can I?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Despite having seen all 9 episodes thus far (UK here), the last episode was the only one I sat through the credits for, and it left me wondering why Dave Chappelle was uncredited. A quick trip to IMDB made me feel pretty foolish. I'd spent the entire season thnking how great a job he was doing. I think the inlusion of Key and Peele last season helped tricked my brain into thinking they'd gone with another random comedian casting. I haven't been following the thread but I can't be the only one who's been fooled by Woodbine, can I?

im thinking you are the only one.

edit:

Loved the finale. Did an immediate rewatch after finishing.

rtcn63

While him being Ottos is briefly touched on, kinda-sorta implied a couple times, nothing concrete unless I missed something. I read his elementary school scene as confirming he wasn't.

His face is due to Peggy throwing hot water/coffee in his face when they were running out of the motel room during the massacre (ep. 209).

When Milligan is talking with the Gerhardt soldier (the thief), he says something like "are you the one Otto had with the maid?"

scabro

the tripoli thing is honesty the only thing that i found to be a misstep for the show. just not necessary, forced, and ridiculous.

otherwise i loved the finale. dont think it was flat at all, just great television.

I honestly cant believe people think that ending was flat. It was perfect. I mean surely there were enough shootouts tho season already without needing another one? Or having everything explained to you like you're a 4 year old?
I loved it, and especially loved all the nods to Raising Arizona too

megamerican

I loved the season but thought the finale was bullshit. Seemed like a bunch of non sequiturs for the sake of being cute. Milligan works for a crime syndicate that has an HR department? Hanzee becomes a fat Italian guy for some reason? Ted Danson invents emojis?

And then there was the overwrought dialogue. Apart from Milligan and Dodd most characters were comically terse throughout the season, but in the last episode every character speaks in rambling existential monologues.

Moff

Or having everything explained to you like you're a 4 year old?
but that's exactly what it did?

not saying it was bad, but underwhelming.
even Milligan's fate, which was a great idea in theory, came out flat for me.
the only thing I really liked was kirsten dunst, but she has been my star the whole season. she showed so many emotions, mostly weird und funny stuff, but her breakdown in the finale was really a highlight, it really touched me.

still, it was a great season. it's hard to compare to season 1, because I think they worked very differently with very different mechanics. season 1 was basically the Lorne Malvo show. I'd say season 2 was at least as good as season 1, and now with a week passed I can definitely say I liked the UFO as well, I just hoped the ending would have been... smarter?
I have to admit, season 1s finale was not really great either, but it was still more satisfying than season 2s.

Fury451

Banned
I love things that don't spell it out for you and you have to think, or for allegories and metaphors, but I'm not a big fan of weird for sake of weird or being overly cryptic. As good as season 2 was, and it was damn good, its weakest moments were when it was trying to be too clever or too strange. The UFO is a great example of this - the show didn't need it, it added nothing to the narrative other than to pull a Lost-esque "hey, look at this thing over here!" Or the sudden "storytime" framing of last week's episode that also added nothing.

The show was strongest without that kind of junk - its setting, directing, cinematography, dialogue, crime plot and acting were doing just fine and didn't need any help just to be "different."

After re-watching and rethinking the last two episodes back-to-back, this post perfectly sums it up for me.

Everything about the show was firing off without a hitch, but it disappeared up its own butt with the last two. I'm sure many will disagree, but I'm left reflecting back on what is a baffling and really poorly handled conclusion, and yes it does mainly center around the UFO, storybook framing spelling out motives, and the whole Tripoli thing.

I like that the finale was not action-packed, I didn't mind that at all, but the way they handled the story conclusion was just not working at all.

Yea the guy from the Buffalo outfit says "Remind me which one you again? The kid Otto had with the maid?"

That guy was at least aware of Hanzi earlier (and him being an native american), as he took the call from him when he did the whole 'I know where Dodd is' spiel. So I took what you reference, as a random joke.

Helmholtz

Before the last couple episodes I thought the show was near flawless. But I can't say I loved how it ended.
Just one of those "good enough" but not amazing endings to a season. I still enjoyed the ride though.

rtcn63

That guy was at least aware of Hanzi earlier (and him being an native american), as he took the call from him when he did the whole 'I know where Dodd is' spiel. So I took what you reference, as a random joke.

He could've said it instinctively, aware of who Milligan was and that he might die. But he could still have been referring to Hanzee- both he and Milligan are non-white, so it happened to be the line that came to him. And him calling the maid an "injun" makes it seem like he's the sort of person who doesn't particularly care about the specifics between the various shades of brown.

Fury451

Banned
I honestly cant believe people think that ending was flat. It was perfect. I mean surely there were enough shootouts tho season already without needing another one? Or having everything explained to you like you're a 4 year old?
I loved it, and especially loved all the nods to Raising Arizona too

Last week, they literally told the audience what Hanzee's motivations probably were. They literally explained a character's actions to the audience in an unnecessary framing device that was just there for no reason.

And Hanzee being Tripoli isn't some "ooh how mysterious, let's leave this up to the audience e to figure out", or how the kids are Wrench and Numbers; they again basically state right there that that's who he will become in the future, and it's obvious who the kids are after that. If you've seen the first season you could probably piece that together pretty quick, and if you can't it's because it's a twist that was pulled out of thin air.

Lets not pretend we're dealing with some high art here that's incomprehensible to the average viewer...the finale of this season completely explains everything, including the mysterious symbols Hank had, so there's nothing left up to interpretations, except the UFO, which by all accounts was just aliens.

In my opinion it was a terribly unfitting conclusion to what was otherwise an amazing season of television unlike anything else on air. The performances and wonderfully fleshed out characters were wasted in an inept finale, though I found Mike's conclusion fitting and the best part of the episode.

He could've said it instinctively, aware of who Milligan was and that he might die. But he could still have been referring to Hanzee- both he and Milligan are non-white, so it happened to be the line that came to him. And him calling the maid an "injun" makes it seem like he's the sort of person who doesn't particularly care about the specifics between the various shades of brown.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it still ended up left up in the air imo. Considering the lengths they went to in order to conclusively tie up other loose ends, the rumors of 'who's yo daddy' are as ambiguous as it gets.

Just finished and digesting the finale.

1) what did Peggy mean when she referred to 'that Gerhardt on the TV'?

2) about the universal language of pics...well...there was more to it, right? Definitely drawings of crop circles? Or just a coincidence?

3) hanzee. The kids on the playground were the hitmen from s1. But we're we supposed to know who his new face was going to end up being, and who the guy who gave him his new papers was? Oh...and what's the significance of Tripoli?

Hateful and ridiculously repetitive show. You're not missing much.

1) She was talking about the German officer featured in a TV show that Peggy watches when Dodd escapes (an earlier episode)
2) I thought that it was really that (which fits very well with the character)
3) Hanzee becomes the boss of the Fargo mafia in S1.

rtcn63

I don't necessarily disagree, but it still ended up left up in the air imo. Considering the lengths they went to in order to conclusively tie up other loose ends, the rumors of 'who's yo daddy' are as ambiguous as it gets.

If you think about it, Mr. Tripoli kinda looks like a young Otto. Maybe Hanzee wanted to take after his old man. :p

Anyone else bummed we never learned of the surviving Kitchen brothers fate? Did he end up in the mailroom?

Fargo-S2-E7.jpg

Mr. Kitchen actually got a new identity to hide his involvement in the 1979 Fargo crime war, after a facelift and move to Bemidji he assumed the name Pearl and married Lester Nygaard. Little did he know what fate awaited him!

Bandit1

A couple of things I would've liked to have seen:

Hanzee going back to the Gerhardt house and stumbling into Milligan and the Kitchen brother.

Lou being a little more shook up about the UFO and talking to Hank about it privately. Lou says something like, "When I was down there on the ground and he was on top of me, I saw something.. Lights in the sky, like a UFO." And Hank nods his head and says something cryptic like - "They're out there.."
- Cut to black
- Created by Noah Hawley

So has there been any analysis of Hanks home office symbols, versus the ones in the bar Hanzee visits in Sioux Falls? If similar, are we to believe he was friends with the bar owner who ostensibly wanted to spread the word, or does this confirm Hank was...touched by the aliens?

bndadm

Well said. Early on the UFO stuff I thought were just little "they could be out there, it's the 70's, etc" all easily explained away. But then it actually shows up. Couple that with the Tripoli twist, it was all unnecessary and cheapens Hanzee's character (I still don't quite understand why he went from wanting to leave this life a day before to wanting to make his own empire. Someone please point out how that was an organic character moment).

I loved the show because of the very first episode, the way the dialogue flowed. Quiet moments, loud moments, it didn't need any existential plot narratives or devices.

Season 1 and the raining fish was explained away the following episode with a TV broadcast about an isolated storm (which I believe has happened on rare occasion). I can abide by that.

Yeah... Hanzee = Tripoli feels like they tried too hard to connect both seasons. It doesn't feel like an "aha moment", and it doesn't feel particularly clever. The revelation was just lame.

Other than that, I enjoyed the finale. I enjoyed how things played out. Peggy's scenes in this episode were all so great, Kirsten Dunst did such a great job this season. Mike's fate was hilarious, his absolute worst nightmare. Overall, I was satisfied and loved season 2. Looking forward to season 3.

Lunar FC

A couple of things I would've liked to have seen:

Hanzee going back to the Gerhardt house and stumbling into Milligan and the Kitchen brother.

Lou being a little more shook up about the UFO and talking to Hank about it privately. Lou says something like, "When I was down there on the ground and he was on top of me, I saw something.. Lights in the sky, like a UFO." And Hank nods his head and says something cryptic like - "They're out there.."
- Cut to black
- Created by Noah Hawley

I would of pissed myself laughing with an ending that dumb.

Decent finale, great season.

Jonm1010

Banned
Hanzee being this guy:
latest

Is fucking stupid. Like really dumb. Did that facial reconstruction also change his hair color and give him male pattern baldness (Which native americans do not suffer from)??

Oh wait obviously he just shaves his head that way and dyes his hair all the time.

What a completely forced addition that added nothing to the character except to make a completely unnecessary connection with S1. I was so onboard with the rest of the season, and Hanzee as a character, but man that really took the wind out of my sails.

This is a show with aliens and dreams forecasting the future. Just remember how loose the writers of the show are willing to stretch the boundaries in this series.

LQX

The biggest revelation for me is that Kansas is actually a legitimate business corporation without a front. It all sort of does not make sense. Hey; go wipe out this other crime family, now here is a corner office. What? Surely your murder operation men should be different from your business operation men.

Yo guys, what if there's a missing chapter set in the 80s, where the original Moses Tripoli (Hanzee) creates a decoy (Season 1 Moses Tripoli) to be the front of Fargo while he's off somewhere else setting off the events of Season 5 behind the scenes?

Top Bottom