• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast food value meal wars going full blast as Wendy's/BK/McD/DQ/Checkers offer deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

depths20XX

I tried those mozzarella sticks from McD's for some dumb reason and they are the worst mozzarella sticks I've ever had. I don't even know how you can fuck those up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Taco Bell brought back the crunchwrap sliders, easily the best deal on the planet. One dollar. Two of them are easily a meal.

bebop242

I tried those mozzarella sticks from McD's for some dumb reason and they are the worst mozzarella sticks I've ever had. I don't even know how you can fuck those up.

I second this. Those mozzarella sticks are garbage. The red sauce they give you with them is even worse.

I've been rocking the 5 buck DQ deal for a long time. Best out of the bunch. Wendys 4 for 4 is also pretty good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think it's one of those scenarios where it seems like quick food options are more expensive but I'm older and don't buy struggle meals.

Aselith

But does any of that really matter when Arbys has loaded curly fries?

1024x557_LoadedCurlyFries_silo_tan.jpg

Dag, I need to get to an Arby's!

Isn't the whole point of this thread that fast food places have value meals that give you food for even cheaper than it used to be?

No, it's that they are offering very good deals by today's standards

But does any of that really matter when Arbys has loaded curly fries?

1024x557_LoadedCurlyFries_silo_tan.jpg

Holy shit, did not know this was a thing. Gonna have to pay Arby's a visit soon.

I've actually been getting a lot of good loaded fries lately. Just had a Charley's open up, and theirs were pretty good. Gouda fries at Wendy's were a bit weak on toppings, but the Gouda Bacon Cheeseburger was awesome. Had the best loaded fries at JL Beers the other day though.

Aselith

Holy shit, did not know this was a thing. Gonna have to pay Arby's a visit soon.

I've actually been getting a lot of good loaded fries lately. Just had a Charley's open up, and theirs were pretty good. Gouda fries at Wendy's were a bit weak on toppings, but the Gouda Bacon Cheeseburger was awesome. Had the best loaded fries at JL Beers the other day though.

They also have garlic parmesan chips that are baller as fuck

A welcome return to sanity. Fast food prices have been creeping up and overstepping their bounds something awful in the last decade. You can have a proper bar food entree at most sit-down places for a negligible amount more than the going rate of a lot of fast food combos now. Absolutely absurd considering the vast gulf of difference in the quality and portions of what's on the plate between the two.

It doesn't seem like that long ago that their recurring special for these was 4 for $5. 5 for $5 for the non-cheese.

Agreed, but there is something to be said for convenience and fast service - the price isn't solely based on food differentiation.

Also, shame on all of your for drooling over the nasty looking Arby's fries. I mean it's clearly that nasty ass fake nacho cheese. Looks disgusting. Poutine ftw. At least use real cheese.

McDonald's. 2 McChickens. 2 McDoubles. Large Coke.

$5.46

DONE.

I hope that's for 2 people...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I wish Coke was actually served in glasses like those
I miss when fast food joints frequently had promos for licensed glasses as small add-on purchases, usually something like "purchase a combo, pay $2-3 more and get a souvenir glass to take home." They still do it every now and then (McDonald's had those Coke glasses in various colors 3 or 4 Xmases ago, local Arby's had some nice Atlanta Falcons glasses a few years back, BK had some neat Star Trek ones when the first Abrams movie came out, etc.) but such offers seem to be VERY few and far between now. That should happen somewhere at least a couple times a year. Like, people would have bought the fuck out some souvenir Star Wars glasses.

Taco Bell is waiting for a battered winner of this fight to emerge and will strike when the time is right. They'll release a combo deal to end all combo deals.
Taco Bell never really left the realm of decently-priced options. They've been running a $3 menu for the past few years that gets you a drink, a bag of Doritos, and a semi-premium item (Chalupa Supreme, Beefy 5-layer Burrito, couple others). Add on something else cheap and you've got a solid equivalent of these deals.

This is where fast food needs to focus. Give up the dreams of competing with Chipotle/In&Out, and just get the food to me at a cheap price.

I eagerly await Taco Bell expanding their dollar menu to compete. Maybe make the Crunchwrap sliders permanent.

Concept17

Wendy's is the only good fast food, really.

As great a deal as their 4 for 4 is, I still can't get away from their Asiago Spicy Chicken. So fucking good.

faridmon

Lucky you. Its super expensive to get a meal in UK, at least when it comes to McDonalds. Ain't paying £6 to get a small meal, when I can pay half for a great, fulfilling one at my local Fish and Chips joint.

Checkers/Rallys has had this "pick 2 for 3/4/5" option for a while now. It's pretty fantastic. 2 spicy chicken sandwiches for 3 bucks is nothing to sneeze at.

jax

Banned
All of the most terrible fast food restaurants competing for lowest price. Wow.

Jack In The Box & In N Out remain King

Jack in the Box has the cheapest option of all, though. 2 "tacos" for a dollar! They're very nearly food!

I actually love Jack. All day breakfast before it was cool, and it's better than McD's.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Holy shit. I spent a lot eating out everyday. I should probably look into fast food.

Sorry, Jack in the Box is just about as bottom of the barrel as the rest (except Wendy's). Made a horrible mistake going there once. Maybe I happened to go to a bad one, but I have had no desire to go back sense. Wendy's has the best burgers/sandwiches out of these not including CFA.

As for In N Out, their burgers are fine. But their fries are horrible. You shouldn't have to ask for them to be animal style and well-done just for them to be competent. They're worse than Wendy's fries.

Sorry, Jack in the Box is just about as bottom of the barrel as the rest (except Wendy's). Made a horrible mistake going there once. Maybe I happened to go to a bad one, but I have had no desire to go back sense. Wendy's has the best burgers/sandwiches out of these not including CFA.

As for In N Out, their burgers are fine. But their fries are horrible. You shouldn't have to ask for them to be animal style and well-done just for them to be competent. They're worse than Wendy's fries.

Only been to In N Out once, but I was pretty unimpressed. Maybe it's just overhyped. All around pretty middling.

Timeless

Wendy's deal is a nice gimmick but poor value. At my local Wendy's it was like $3.70 for everything but the drink, and I don't normally get drinks because they're very caloric. Water for life.

But drinks taste good and Wendy's had a freestyle machine, so I indulged for the extra 30 cents.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Only been to In N Out once, but I was pretty unimpressed. Maybe it's just overhyped. All around pretty middling.

It's a simple good quality burger made with fresh ingredients at a cheap price. That's all really. Probably also why a lot of chefs really like their burgers, including Ramsey, Bourdain, and Keller.

jiggle

Small soda
What is that?
2 sips?

McDonalds got the right idea with $1 any size

Edit: in n out is amazing
But i rather get 2 double doubles than 1 + fries

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good. Wendy's 4 for $4 is a pretty decent deal. The only complaint I have is you can't choose what you want. I'd rather have a Burger, A Cup of Chilli, and Fries over the 3-4 Chicken Nuggets they give.

But I guess that'd eat into their "combo" pricing scheme if they made cheaper combos.

That is the most unappetizing fast food ad I've ever seen.

Bitch, that's stoner food.

My only regret is the closet Krystals to me closed so it's either a 30 min or 45 min drive to the other two around me. *RAGE*

It's a simple good quality burger made with fresh ingredients at a cheap price. That's all really. Probably also why a lot of chefs really like their burgers, including Ramsey, Bourdain, and Keller.

Eh, it's same tier as Wendy's. And it's not like it's simple beef and bun with maybe a sauce like a lot of burgers I've seen. It's still covered up by iceburg lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, cheese, animal style(maybe), and what mustard at least?

That doesn't scream simple to me.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I had the arbys loaded fries. Really good, but i feel like you dont get enough fries. Either that or they gave me a shit ton of ranch and cheese on top.

I felt guilty after i ate them. Apparently like 700 calories. Hitting the gym tonight harder than usual.

Red Comet

I've tried to phase fast food out of my diet as much as possible, but the value menu is where it's at. Nothing is more delicious to me than a good deal.

R-User!

It's all about gettin 5 dollars from everybody a 1 once a week or two. Subways been doing this for a while though ($5 footlong song).

Seems others realized the power of the number "5".

Such an innocent welcoming soft-sounding number. Not like heavy and harsh sounding even numbers "4", or "6".

George Carlin hinted at this in regards to the Ten Commandments (how nobody would buy in if we're less then "10"!!!

"I'd like the five dollar meal please!" *warm feelings inside*

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They did?!?!

Holy shit. BLT Crunchwraps were the greatest thing ever. So glad they're back.

BLT and Cheesy Beef whatever are back. Spicy Chicken was replaced by Siracha Chicken, which is decent, and the other new one is Spicy Nacho Beef whatever which is really good.

ryseing

BLT and Cheesy Beef whatever are back. Spicy Chicken was replaced by Siracha Chicken, which is decent, and the other new one is Spicy Nacho Beef whatever which is really good.

Can't stand most of TB's normal menu but the BLT Crunchwraps are legitimately one of my favorite fast food items. Might have to try the chicken one as well.

junk food is free in america
that's my conclusion.

it costs nothing, relatively. In a world that now charges $950 for a family of 4 to get into Disneyland for just 2 days, the cost of double your daily allowance of salt, fat and sugar is basically zero. I mean come on. I was paying $2.50 for a big mac 34 years ago (ok that was Australia) but I look up online and 1985 in USA $3 bought two cheeseburgers med fries and a coke.

So what inflation rate is that for junk food? a fraction of a % ?!

but other stuff - private school education, nice hotel, disney land etc has gone up with headline inflation or worse.

No wonder people are obese. Junk food is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom