• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx) ?

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx)

• Faster loading ps5

Votes: 245 45.1%
  • More power xsx

Votes: 298 54.9%

• Total voters

skneogaf

I'm curious to see what you lot prefer going in to this coming generation of console gaming as the playstation 5 has faster ssd & I/O speed and the xbox series x has a better cpu and gpu.

I believe the playstation will load up to twice as fast so if 30 seconds on xbox series x then 15 seconds on playstation 5.

I believe the ps5 will be more likely to have a bit lower graphics quality or fps how much is unknown both will be detectable/noticeable if there.

I'd prefer to wait the extra seconds so any non pc console exclusive games I'll pick up on xbox series x and stick to playstation only games on playstation 5 Black edition when it will eventually come out.

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

I'm curious to see what you lot prefer going in to this coming generation of console gaming as the playstation 5 has faster ssd & I/O speed and the xbox series x has a better cpu and gpu.

I believe the playstation will load up to twice as fast so if 30 seconds on xbox series x then 15 seconds on playstation 5.

I believe the ps5 will be more likely to have a bit lower graphics quality or fps how much is unknown both will be detectable/noticeable if there.

I'd prefer to wait the extra seconds so any non pc console exclusive games I'll pick up on xbox series x and stick to playstation only games on playstation 5 Black edition when it will eventually come out.
I'll take the power personally, but I can't say just yet that PS5 will be double speed, on paper it looks like it for sure. I just am one of those see it to believe it person, and right now I've only seen what the XSX can do.

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
They're one and the same?

Faster SSD speeds means more "power", and more "power" (you mean tflops?) also means faster loading.
no, more tflps higher res, higher fps, more details, etc...faster loading is well, faster loading due to a faster SSD. Clocks vs SSD speed.

edit: due not dye

another edit: people seem to be going with "meh it's only 2 tflps, we won't see the difference". If it was less then 1 tflps I would agree, but with around 2 tflp diff, you will see the diff, wether that'd be the resolution bump, steadier fr or just overall a better looking game, it will be noticeable.

when xbone and ps4 first came out, the diff in tflops was what, 1.84 vs 1.31 and you could SEE the diff, I remember because Xbox fanboys were getting demolished day in and day out, and that's what, half a flop? People are quick to forget or just play ignorant because their bellowed etc etc

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The relative difference in CPUs is significantly less than either the XBO-PS4 or the PS4 Pro-One X. Apart from pixel peepers I think this 17% difference is going to be more of a fart in the wind as the generation goes on.

We should caveat here that the impressions from today have not shown a single game that was built to take advantage of the SeX SSD or Directstorage, but if these load times were indicative, going from that to much closer to instant would be more noticeable.

Neither one a world changing difference. Power wise this is a very close gen. Potentially, the faster SSD would have more of an impact on using it as fast swap for RAM.

Holammer

Loading times will be faster, but chill out already. You'll set yourself up for disappointment if the PS5's speed is merely a negligible improvement in real life conditions.
Power is where it's at.

Unlimited_Power_Banner.jpg

martino

i don't expect big difference because there is no big difference in power and power will limit those hardware before i/o

More power of course. How much of your time gaming do you spend at a loading screen? The answer is less than 1% and that's only going to drop next gen.

On the other hand, that more power equates to higher resolutions and higher framerates that you will be benefiting from for the other 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Part of this depends on how truthful Epic was in their declaration that the new Nanite and Lumen systems are dependent on the loading speed of the PS5 to provide its "lossless compression of unlimited geometry", or however they described it. If that's true you could literally end up with both on the PS5. Otherwise, I'd probably take the beefier graphics setup and slower loading, especially since the loading on the XSX should be good anyway.

But that's if I had to choose.

Thankfully I don't. :messenger_beaming:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gotta see them side by side but I’ll side with power. I play on a SSD now, it’s awesome but don’t see much of a difference between my slower and faster ssds. I know it will be different in a console where the games optimized for it but power can be seen by all.

I think if loading really is twice as fast it will be a lot more noticeable and a bigger experience upgrade than 15-20% more pixels being rendered but we shall see.

Its not Pixels, its polygons. And its 15 percent fewer on the PS5 which is the right way to talk about workload. A sized workload meaning Xbox is 100% means
somewhere something has to give to get the same workload from the system - either it means fewer full frames per second or it means an optimization someplace
LOD, or geometry or something else- to the order of 15 percent. Its less than half the difference that the Xbox one and PS4 had at launch so though I am sure there will
be instances of differences, I would expect them to be about HALF of the difference as we see between PS4 pro and One X- at maximum. Thats like a ~30 percent
floating point operation deficit in favor of the Xbox and what we usually see are different resolutions , not actual changes in gameplay, assets, etc. More likely just
a softer picture if all else is equal.

But yeah loading twice as fast- It may end up being more like 1/3 as fast I think part of it depends on if the assets are actually packed and optimized properly.... so dont expect 0.5 second load
times in PS4 games but for games actually made for the PS5 you should see the difference, I assert, without a source, but just common sense.

We're just going to have to wait and see how different the results are between the consoles.

How much extra resolution,framerate etc will with XSX provide over the PS5?
How much less loading time will the PS5 provide over the XSX?

We'll just have to wait and see.

But unless the PS5's loading time advantage is absolutely massive and the XSX power advantage is unnoticeably minimal, then I still the choose power advantage.

Last edited:
Power will always win out in the end....the series x also isnt a slouch when it comes to speeds

Always like... when? Did Power help the Master system beat the NES, or the Jaguar beat the SNES and Genesis or the N64 beat the playstation or the Dreamcast sell better than the N64 or the PSX.
Did power help the gamecube and XBOX beat the PS2... did power help the Xbox one X finally beat the PS4 in sales?

Is power hurting the Switch's sales?

A faster SSD does not equate to a higher consistent clock speed on a GPU, CPU and more GPU cores...

Good thing the clock speed is always hundreds of megahertz higher on the PS5's GPU then.

Even in the worst case scenario its 2.0ghz (it wont get that low, that would be its "off/boot state")
Which is 175mhz faster than the one X. Just saying.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
The teraflops difference is too modest to be able to manifest itself easily to the eye. It's not like you'll have 1440p vs 4K with next gen visuals, you'd require much more than 18% of extra CU performance to do this.

I personally think you will see slightly higher resolution output and perhaps a bit better quality in ray tracing, if not outright parity between both systems, as everything needs to run on the Series S.

On the other hand, the SSD speed is in theory not just for loading, as that can affect game design since the PS5's is so much faster, but I doubt third party games will take full advantage of it, as everything needs to run on the Series S, so yeah, who knows?

Last edited:

Ellery

In the end I think neither will make a real difference for gamers.
The 3rd party games are going to look basically identically (those that come to both).
The exclusives will look better on the hardware that are handled by the more talented team (this does not include the Switch, because the power difference is like at least 25 times better in favor of the XSX/PS5. Yes 25 times).
And whether the twice as fast PS5 SSD actually helps in any meaningful way remains to be seen.

Lethal01

no, more tflps higher res, higher fps, more details, etc...faster loading is well, faster loading due to a faster SSD. Clocks vs SSD speed.

edit: due not dye

another edit: people seem to be going with "meh it's only 2 tflps, we won't see the difference". If it was less then 1 tflps I would agree, but with around 2 tflp diff, you will see the diff, wether that'd be the resolution bump, steadier fr or just overall a better looking game, it will be noticeable.

when xbone and ps4 first came out, the diff in tflops was what, 1.84 vs 1.31 and you could SEE the diff, I remember because Xbox fanboys were getting demolished day in and day out, and that's what, half a flop? People are quick to forget or just play ignorant because their bellowed etc etc

Just about every dev is claiming that a much faster SSD will also allow for more details and better VRAM utilization.
There are just too many variables.

After seeing the xbox previews today I think the PS5 loading times are going to be a bigger deal then previously believed. Destiny 2 loading times were still longer than 40 seconds on the series x, I have a feeling the PS5 is going to do much better than that.

Having a console that just instantly turns on, loads games, and switches apps is going to be really nice. I'd much rather have instant response then a small difference in graphics that will be very hard to notice.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
After seeing the xbox previews today I think the PS5 loading times are going to be a bigger deal then previously believed. Destiny 2 loading times were still longer than 40 seconds on the series x, I have a feeling the PS5 is going to do much better than that.

Having a console that just instantly turns on, loads games, and switches apps is going to be really nice. I'd much rather have instant response then a small difference in graphics that will be very hard to notice.
If any of this was true, they would have shown it. Thinking there will be instant loads is naive.

You're REALLY expecting to be able to turn on our PS5 and just have everything boot in an instant? No loading times whatsoever?

Nice false dichotomy to bait people into accepting what you're really looking for.

What if the fancy SSD and dedicated I/O hardware free up the CPU and GPU to do more work than would otherwise be possible? Is that less powerful?

They are being careful not to state the question correctly
"Faster I/O and data streaming VS 1.8 more TF of GPU power, slower I/O by multiple GB per second, no WIFI 6"

At least the correct way to phrase this and leave it fair would be

"loading/streaming times cut in half VS 15% higher resolution"

You're REALLY expecting to be able to turn on our PS5 and just have everything boot in an instant? No loading times whatsoever?

Not saying they will be completely eliminated, but I do believe that the PS5 will be considerably faster compared to the SX. 2 minutes to 40 seconds is nice, but the PS5 could probably get that down even more (from Destiny 2 times released today).

If destiny 2 loads in 20 seconds on the PS5 compared to 40 for the SX that's a pretty noticeable impact for the user. As someone that has spent countless hours flying through space in destiny, that time adds up quickly.

Last edited:

The loading times on XSX are significantly lower than on XB1. Will be interesting to see how many more seconds the PS5 can shave off.

But anyone expecting "zero loading times" on the PS5 is gonna be disappointed.

Not if the game is not MEANT to have zero loading times. If a game is meant to have one long loading time sure it can do that, Why not. It should be around half
as long IN THEORY on the PS5- But you can build games without loading times, thats been done for many years and when they do that they
will be able to do it twice as smoothly on the PS5 thats all. Nobody expects a game with split areas to literally remove the loading splash screen- it physically cant because the game unloads data and loads new data in a rough, fresh state, hence the loading screen, versus a data stream of a continuous area.

I reckon it doesn’t matter. In the same way the majority aren’t going to care for pixel counts comparing 12TF to 10TF, the majority are also not going to care if we’re talking 10 seconds to load vs 5. As long as it looks good overall (both consoles) and loads fast overall (both consoles) it’s not gonna matter much. To each their own.

Not saying they will be completely eliminated, but I do believe that the PS5 will be considerably faster compared to the SX. 2 minutes to 40 seconds is nice, but the PS5 could probably get that down even more (from Destiny 2 times released today).

What's "considerably faster" to you?The XSX is down from 2+ minutes to 40 seconds. How many seconds do you think the PS5 will take in this test?

Top Bottom