• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx) ?

Faster loading (ps5) vs more power (xsx)

• Faster loading ps5

Votes: 245 45.1%
  • More power xsx

Votes: 298 54.9%

• Total voters

theddub

Banned
I was not talking about Geometry Engine or Mesh Shader culling or even fustrum culling, did you watch Road to PS5? Cerny talks about the 'entire game logic' + assets being loaded and discarded (around 4-5GB of data) at 0.5 second as the player/character turns. This technique is enabled by the very fast/low latency, custom SSD/IO complex.
I honestly haven't seen it. I'll go watch it but it seems like a misunderstanding on your part because the SSD wouldn't know what assets to ignore or cull and neither would the software programmatically until it's processing in the rendering pipeline. The SSD doesn't and cannot possibly have that type of logic there before rendering.

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
I honestly haven't seen it. I'll go watch it but it seems like a misunderstanding on your part because the SSD wouldn't know what assets to ignore or cull and neither would the software programmatically until it's processing in the rendering pipeline. The SSD doesn't and cannot possibly have that type of logic there before rendering.
I'm looking at the transcript now is there's nothing, verbatim on your quote, on " entire game logic" unless you are paraphrasing and not quoting? No mention of the word "logic"

So far he talks about culling on the geometry engine...

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
You mean the part about the player in game " turning around"(Hence your comment on turning)? He's talking about loading the assets, the textures really fast via the ssd( I quote "possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second"), not any type of culling. He's talking about what SSDs do....read and write, which it does fast like most SSDs, nothing to do with game logic or the rendering pipeline.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Does the PS5 have more audio processing grunt? What can it do that the Xbox can’t? Source?

Sony’s pedigree in the field? You think Sony have more pedigree than Dolby? Which devs have come out and praised Sony’s solution over Dolby Atmos or what Microsoft have? Microsoft have taken audio seriously for generations whereas Sony haven’t.

I think Sony has historically a great pedigree in audio, hardware engineering, and audio hardware engineering. Though, I'm not sure this really came into the picture with PS4. And Microsoft during the last generation really invested in their SHAPE stuff and Atmos.

There has been consistent generic praise for Tempest*. I did not say that developers were criticizing XSX or directly comparing it to the Microsoft solution; Only that I have seen praise for PS5's audio solution from developers but less of the same thing from the Team Green corner. Maybe this is because Sony is encouraging developers to speak out in praise and is leaning on publishers/developers to do this. Maybe it's because developers have their leashes loosened regarding NDAs on Tempest whereas with MS they're bound by a more rigid NDA, maybe PS5 tempest really is special etc. There are multiple reasons for possibly why.

Seriously, this is hardcore. In conversation with Mark Cerny, he laments that he gets to meet very few audio engineers on his regular visits to developers and publishers - and that for delivering a next generation audio experience, Sony itself had to take point. Audio itself has been fairly poorly served across the current generation, typically getting a fraction of a Jaguar core to deliver 7.1 surround - far less than audio enjoyed in the PS3 era, where the SPUs proved ideally suited to audio processing tasks. In fact, Cerny points to PSVR as a modern-day standard bearer of sorts for surround audio, as it features a bespoke audio unit capable of supporting "50 pretty decent sound sources". PlayStation 5's new Tempest Engine supports hundreds - delivered with a much higher quality.

It's all based around the key tenets of presence and locality. Cerny describes presence vividly. In games today, rain is a simple, single sound. With the Tempest Engine, PlayStation 5 aims to engender the feeling of actually being in the middle of the shower by simulating the sound of individual raindrops hitting the ground around you. Locality? This is more about being able to precisely track where objects are located - and the science in delivering this is simply astonishing, having to taken into account the shape of your ears and even the size and shape of your head.

To precisely simulate accurate positioning, Sony needs to generate a table called the Head-related Transfer Function - HRTF - ideally on a per-person basis. How you perceive audio can be simulated by processing the soundscape through that table - a computationally expensive task to say the least. The Tempest Engine is effectively a re-engineered AMD GPU compute unit, stripped of its caches and relying solely on DMA transfers - just like a PS3 SPU. In turn, this opens the door to full utilisation of the CU's vector units.

"Where we ended up is a unit with roughly the same SIMD power and bandwidth as all eight Jaguar cores in the PS4 combined," Mark Cerny reveals in his presentation. "If we were to use the same algorithms as PSVR, that's enough for something like five thousand sound sources - but of course we want to use more complex algorithms, and we don't need anything like that number of sounds."

Sony's next-gen audio system is so advanced, it can be tailored to the individual characteristics of the user's hearing. This is determined via the HRTF tables seen here. On the left is PS5's default, on the right Mark Cerny's individual HRTF.
In short, the Tempest Engine opens the door to a genuine revolution in game audio - and while there are challenges ahead in seeing the system reach is fullest potential, one thing you don't need to worry about is buying into high-end audio hardware to enjoy the experience. In the short term, the simple solution will be to use headphones: two ears, two speakers - it's all you need and the Tempest Engine will handle the rest. Going forward, Sony is optimistic about great results from virtual surround from TV speakers and sound bars, with multi-speaker systems also due for support.

From Digital Foundry.

Tempest itself is Sony's response to Atmos, and Dolby praised them for their efforts as rivals and being committed to audio excellence. In its own way, Tempest is Sony not just competing with Microsoft's box but also Dolby's Atmos tech and certification process.

I'm struggling to find the die shot analysis for XSX, but we know that PS5 is using a stripped/modified AMD CU (or at least in part). I don't recall the XsX dedicating those sorts of resources to audio.

We also don't see Microsoft challenging Sony with PR in this area either.

Anyway, could be wrong. Just my interpretation based on available evidence I've happened across.

Edit: snippets of what XSX can do in the audio sphere have been teased out though. Like here for instance.

Edit: For some damn reason it stopped letting me insert links as text? Maybe it's just early.
*https://gamerant.com/ps5-developers-praise-ssd-3d-audio-features/

etc.

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
I was not talking about Geometry Engine or Mesh Shader culling or even fustrum culling, did you watch Road to PS5? Cerny talks about the 'entire game logic' + assets being loaded and discarded (around 4-5GB of data) at 0.5 second as the player/character turns. This technique is enabled by the very fast/low latency, custom SSD/IO complex.
Just read it, and yes it looks like a misunderstanding on your part:

You mean the part about the player in game " turning around"(Hence your commet about turning)? He's talking about loading the assets, the textures really fast via the ssd( I quote "possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second"), not any type of culling. He's talking about what SSDs do....read and write, which it does fast like most SSDs, nothing to do with game logic or the rendering pipeline. It's just a normal, albeit fast, function of a "dumb" I/O device. We will see how much faster compared to the less brute force and, IMO, more optimized and efficient SSD use of XSX Xbox Velocity Architecture.

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
Just read it, and yes it looks like a misunderstanding on your part:

You mean the part about the player in game " turning around"(Hence your commet about turning)? He's talking about loading the assets, the textures really fast via the ssd( I quote "possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second"), not any type of culling. He's talking about what SSDs do....read and write, which it does fast like most SSDs, nothing to do with game logic or the rendering pipeline. It's just a normal, albeit fast, function of a "dumb" I/O device. We will see how much faster compared to the less brute force and, IMO, more optimized and efficient SSD use of XSX Xbox Velocity Architecture.

Lysandros Lysandros It's a misunderstanding compared to what you ORIGINALLY said, you were describing something like culling , I quote from you:

"the GPU will have to render only what is in the player's/character's vision right? Rendering only 120 degree of game logic, geometry, assets etc. out of 360, thus saving significant amount of RAM, bandwidth and cycles. I have hard time seeing how this doesn't improve performance. "

Now you're changing your phrasing to plain ol loading from the device...loading texures. You are now saying:

"I was not talking about Geometry Engine or Mesh Shader culling or even fustrum culling, did you watch Road to PS5? Cerny talks about the 'entire game logic' + assets being loaded and discarded (around 4-5GB of data) at 0.5 second as the player/character turns. This technique is enabled by the very fast/low latency, custom SSD/IO complex. "

Now this texture loading from the storage device, albeit fast(for console just getting SSDs now), is ancient. Now if you add in the custom hardware for Sampler Feedback Streaming and involve the XSX SSD with Xbox Velocity Architecture, NOW we have NEW AND something EFFICIENT....streams only the part of the texture it(not just a mipmap) that needs to....now THAT'S efficiency!

Last edited:

Lysandros

Lysandros Lysandros It's a misunderstanding compared to what you ORIGINALLY said, you were describing something like culling , I quote from you:

"the GPU will have to render only what is in the player's/character's vision right? Rendering only 120 degree of game logic, geometry, assets etc. out of 360, thus saving significant amount of RAM, bandwidth and cycles. I have hard time seeing how this doesn't improve performance. "

Now you're changing your phrasing to plain ol loading from the device...loading texures. You are now saying:

"I was not talking about Geometry Engine or Mesh Shader culling or even fustrum culling, did you watch Road to PS5? Cerny talks about the 'entire game logic' + assets being loaded and discarded (around 4-5GB of data) at 0.5 second as the player/character turns. This technique is enabled by the very fast/low latency, custom SSD/IO complex. "

Now this texture loading from the storage device, albeit fast(for console just getting SSDs now), is ancient. Now if you add in the custom hardware for Sampler Feedback Streaming and involve the XSX SSD with Xbox Velocity Architecture, NOW we have NEW AND something EFFICIENT....streams only the part of the texture it(not just a mipmap) that needs to....now THAT'S efficiency!
Sure okay friend, my bad, no need to write more. You convinced me that the technique described by Cerny is ancient, inefficient thus redundant compared to the velocity architecture. Thanks for your replies, have a good day. 👍

FrankWza

I’m sorry but do you really think Cerny is anything more than a Sony PR person? He’s not going to come out and say “yeh the Xbox is more powerful”. He’s going to shill every single thing about his employers console. That’s his job. He’s paid by Sony.

Don’t believe a word that any of these company spokespeople say. They’re literally paid shills. Goes for Spencer and every MS employee too.

Oh brother,literally. I guess I have to use the ultimate 2020 YouTube personality influencer word to help you understand. Here it goes....He’s literally the architect of the ps5. So yeah, he’s more than a pr person.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think Sony has historically a great pedigree in audio, hardware engineering, and audio hardware engineering. Though, I'm not sure this really came into the picture with PS4. And Microsoft during the last generation really invested in their SHAPE stuff and Atmos.

There has been consistent generic praise for Tempest*. I did not say that developers were criticizing XSX or directly comparing it to the Microsoft solution; Only that I have seen praise for PS5's audio solution from developers but less of the same thing from the Team Green corner. Maybe this is because Sony is encouraging developers to speak out in praise and is leaning on publishers/developers to do this. Maybe it's because developers have their leashes loosened regarding NDAs on Tempest whereas with MS they're bound by a more rigid NDA, maybe PS5 tempest really is special etc. There are multiple reasons for possibly why.

That’s still just cerny saying how great it is. It’s nothing that Dolby Atmos already doesn’t do. Sony don’t want to license Atmos so they just made their own of the same thing. There’s nothing groundbreaking about 3D audio or how the PS5 is doing it. The Series S/X have the same thing. Windows Sonic is 3D audio. Dolby Atmos is 3D audio. The Xbox supports both. The Xbox one supported both. The Xbox has HRTF. The Xbox has hundred of sound sources in 3D. There’s nothing special about tempest, it’s just Sony’s name for 3D audio.

Oh brother,literally. I guess I have to use the ultimate 2020 YouTube personality influencer word to help you understand. Here it goes....He’s literally the architect of the ps5. So yeah, he’s more than a pr person.
His job is to make the ps5 that he designed sound like it’s the best at everything and that it has no weaknesses. Everything the other console has more of is actually not important because the ps5 has such and such. He’s selling his console. He’s not unbiased. He’s pr.

Last edited:

FrankWza

That’s still just cerny saying how great it is. It’s nothing that Dolby Atmos already doesn’t do. Sony don’t want to license Atmos so they just made their own of the same thing. There’s nothing groundbreaking about 3D audio or how the PS5 is doing it. The Series S/X have the same thing. Windows Sonic is 3D audio. Dolby Atmos is 3D audio. The Xbox supports both. The Xbox one supported both. The Xbox has HRTF. The Xbox has hundred of sound sources in 3D. There’s nothing special about tempest, it’s just Sony’s name for 3D audio.

His job is to make the ps5 that he designed sound like it’s the best at everything and that it has no weaknesses. Everything the other console has more of is actually not important because the ps5 has such and such. He’s selling his console. He’s not unbiased. He’s pr.

he’s just designed the second highest selling console of all time. He doesn’t need to sell shit. His shit sells itself

MrFunSocks

Banned
he’s just designed the second highest selling console of all time. He doesn’t need to sell shit. His shit sells itself
yeh he put an apu with some ram and an HDD. There was nothing exceptional about the PS4 design. The XB1 would have been pretty much exactly the same has GDDR5 been guaranteed to be available for 8GB of chips.

He is a company spokesman. This shouldn’t be news to you.

Last edited:

FrankWza

yeh he put an apu with some ram and an HDD. There was nothing exceptional about the PS4 design. The XB1 would have been pretty much exactly the same has GDDR5 been guaranteed to be available for 8GB of chips.

He is a company spokesman. This shouldn’t be news to you.

you’re bringing up his role in selling. I argued he’a the architect. You persist with sales. I mention he designed the second highest Selling console of all time. Now you go back to last gen design. The point is, his builds work. The xb1 at launch absolutely did not. You’re talking about what could have happened. What actually happened is, the xb1 was under powered by a large margin. Compared with the ps4 that he designed. This coming gen as of right now is in the we’ll see category

devilNprada

Lysandros Lysandros

You seemed pretty smart until that last comment... Did you really type all that shit just to say Xbox was efficient PS was not?

theddub

Banned
You seemed pretty smart until that last comment... Did you really type all that shit just to say Xbox was efficient PS was not?
Let me ask you a hypothetical question. I'm not going to use the actual numbers too to simplify things. Let's say, hypothetically, that texture streaming on the ps5 is 10Gb/s and the XSX is 5Gb/s. Lets say we have a 10Gb texture they both want to stream. For simplification, the ps5 streams that into RAM in 1 sec(NOTE: From here the Ram bandwidth for textures is higher on the XSX btw). Now this gets more interesting with the XSX, with the custom Sampler Feedback Streaming HARDWARE, unique on the XSX, it streams in only the part of the texture it needs. Let's say it needs just 50percent or 5Gb of said 10Gb texture. So it ends up streaming in only what it needs to RAM in the XSX in 1 second. So let me ask you, in only needing to load in the part of the texture it needs on the XSX, is the XSX with XBVA and SFS 1)more, 2)the same or 3)less efficient, efficient is the word we've been using, in streaming in textures to RAM than the ps5 from their respective SSDs?

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned

I admire your certainty.

Your explanation could well be it, and we'll see in the coming months. As long as both machines are raising the bar for audio I don't think anyone should be complaining.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Let me ask you a hypothetical question. I'm not going to use the actual numbers too to simplify things. Let's say, hypothetically, that texture streaming on the ps5 is 10Gb/s and the XSX is 5Gb/s. Lets say we have a 10Gb texture they both want to stream. For simplification, the ps5 streams that into RAM in 1 sec(NOTE: From here the Ram bandwidth for textures is higher on the XSX btw). Now this gets more interesting with the XSX, with the custom Sampler Feedback Streaming HARDWARE, unique on the XSX, it streams in only the part of the texture it needs. Let's say it needs just 50percent or 5Gb of said 10Gb texture. So it ends up streaming in only what it needs to RAM in the XSX in 1 second. So let me ask you, in only needing to load in the part of the texture it needs on the XSX, is the XSX with XBVA and SFS 1)more, 2)the same or 3)less efficient, efficient is the word we've been using, in streaming in textures to RAM than the ps5 from their respective SSDs?

How do you know that PS5 does not do this ? In fact PS5 devkits, tools are probably better because they have games running on it and have shown multiple games. They have got massive advantage in i/o. Halo 8mins demo does not inspire any confidence and it is AAA game. For some reason they only manage to show in-engine trailers for other titles as well. They should be the ones showing gameplay footage of new games and the power of the console more instead of BC games.

theddub

Banned
How do you know that PS5 does not do this ? In fact PS5 devkits, tools are probably better because they have games running on it and have shown multiple games. They have got massive advantage in i/o. Halo 8mins demo does not inspire any confidence and it is AAA game. For some reason they only manage to show in-engine trailers for other titles as well. They should be the ones showing gameplay footage of new games and the power of the console more instead of BC games.
Because SFS is custom featured hardware on the XSX.

That's like saying, your logic, how do you know the XSX isn't a dual gpu and it's really, secretly, 24 TFs, and the devs with a dev kit know this, it's just a secret right now....ergo I would bet it doesn't.

Last edited:

FrankWza

That's like saying, your logic, how do you know the XSX isn't a dual gpu and it's really, secretly, 24 TFs, and the devs with a dev kit know this, it's just a secret right now....ergo I would bet it doesn't.

because the tflops are a hard number. They’re not gonna increase. They may be utilized more efficiently as time goes on but that’s the number. You have nothing to compare the use of Sony’s SSD to because there has never been a system that integrates the SSD into offsetting hardware resources. The series X isn’t doing it. So if Sony is able to utilize the SSD to make development easier and the reliance on other components less taxing that’s gonna be great for Sony. In order for Microsoft to do the same thing they would have to release an entirely new console that is designed with this process in mind. I’m not saying they would want to, but that’s what they would have to do.

theddub

Banned
because the tflops are a hard number. They’re not gonna increase. They may be utilized more efficiently as time goes on but that’s the number. You have nothing to compare the use of Sony’s SSD to because there has never been a system that integrates the SSD into offsetting hardware resources. The series X isn’t doing it. So if Sony is able to utilize the SSD to make development easier and the reliance on other components less taxing that’s gonna be great for Sony. In order for Microsoft to do the same thing they would have to release an entirely new console that is designed with this process in mind. I’m not saying they would want to, but that’s what they would have to do.
I understand bottlenecks in a system...overall that's not what we were talking about....we were discussing efficiency in texture streaming from storage vs brute force. The Ps5 is likely faster, but from what we know, in that particular aspect, texture streaming, it is less efficient.......THAT, efficiency, was the conversation.

If you want to discuss something else, some other, or similar topic, please do so. Or if you have new information on the current topic. I understand he was saying that it was , in essence, conjecture about the ps5 possibly having something similar to SFS hardware....hence my analogy for him. My response was that's unlikely though possible in the Dumb and Dumber sense of "So you're saying there's a chance!"

Last edited:

FrankWza

I understand bottlenecks in a system....we were discussing efficiency in texture streaming vs brute force.

I was referring to your comment about a secret doubling of teraflops compared to what can be done as far as utilization of components was concerned. That was the quote of your I posted. Your hypothetical when neo_game pointed out I/O advantage

theddub

Banned
I was referring to your comment about a secret doubling of teraflops compared to what can be done as far as utilization of components was concerned. That was the quote of your I posted. Your hypothetical when neo_game pointed out I/O advantage
Yes and he said (how do I not know that ps5 has something like or similar to patented custom SFS hardware?)....hence the analogy. I hope the analogy helped to point out why I was skeptical about the ps5 having that same type of custom hardware and we don't know about it?...I apologize if it wasn't a perfect analogy

I mean we all should be skeptical of those type of secret features right?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yes and he said (how do I not know that ps5 has something like or similar to patented custom SFS hardware?)....hence the analogy. I hope the analogy helped to point out why I was skeptical about the ps5 having that same type of custom hardware and we don't know about it?...I apologize if it wasn't a perfect analogy

But it does. That’s what cerny referred to in the deep dive. It wasn’t just RAM. He specifically mentioned other hardware benefits. It may not be called SFS because Msoft made that method proprietary or patented it. But that doesn’t mean Sony isn’t using a similar tech or process. But Msoft isn’t using it to bolster RAM. Are they? When I read about the velocity architecture it alludes to pop in and draw distance and uses terminology more consistent with loading. Just Sony is as far as I’ve read. I believe that is why they went overkill with the SSD with its throughput and why it isn’t just for load times.
No doubt SSD will be a benefit to both systems. But if Msoft does see results with it helping their GPU they are not going to be able to lend that power to other components. They’re locked in at 2.4 gbps fixed. They may not need to because they have a couple of other components in their system that are more powerful than the Sony counterparts.Sony is using the SSD all around with a focus on RAM. But theirs is 5.5 gbps fixed. That’s why there is a chance the discrepancy in power won’t be as great as the numbers show on paper. Either way, this is a better discussion than just load times. SSD is more than time saving tech. It’s potentially game-changing.

imbrock

Banned
This has been pretty beaten to death by this point but for my two cents:

When I am playing games on my PC and fiddling with settings to get the highest framerate while still looking good the most important thing for keeping the game looking good is texture quality. Good textures can hide a out of uglies in other parts of the graphics. On the other side of that big texture files pulling off slow drives is a very common bottleneck for people wanting to play at high refresh rates.

I think the super fast ssd will allow for a lot more consistent framerates towards the end of the generation when multiplatform games are pushing graphics comparable to what they are doing with their PC counterparts. Again from a PC perspective the level of graphics you get from a 3070 vs a 3080 is not going to be super noticeable to the average person. But having higher resolution textures that load more quickly. That could be a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

FrankWza

This has been pretty beaten to death by this point but for my two cents:

When I am playing games on my PC and fiddling with settings to get the highest framerate while still looking good the most important thing for keeping the game looking good is texture quality. Good textures can hide a out of uglies in other parts of the graphics. On the other side of that big texture files pulling off slow drives is a very common bottleneck for people wanting to play at high refresh rates.

I think the super fast ssd will allow for a lot more consistent framerates towards the end of the generation when multiplatform games are pushing graphics comparable to what they are doing with their PC counterparts. Again from a PC perspective the level of graphics you get from a 3070 vs a 3080 is not going to be super noticeable to the average person. But having higher resolution textures that load more quickly. That could be a noticeable difference.

Like I said in my other post. It’s a better conversation than load times. Better/faster Load times are a given at this point.

Last edited:

j^aws

Both are closely matched in power. If I want significant power difference, I'll use a PC. In a bygone age, consoles had neor instant loading with cartridges, and it would be great to approach that immediacy in gaming again, so I went with faster loading.

Neo_game

XVA is SSD, HW decompression, direct storage API and SFS. As far as I know only first two component are HW, rest is just API, software. SFS is nothing but streaming of textures of different level of mipmaps. PS5 on the other hand has:

There is no reason to believe that PS5 is not using any software, API apart from this lol. Only advantage Xbox has is 17% faster GPU and 25% faster BW when using 10gb RAM. Above 10gb of RAM PS5 is probably going to have advantage as it has uniform BW unlike Xbox faster, slower pool of RAM. Some people think, hope that PS5 cannot sustain 2.23ghz but according to Sony and how it manages power it is not going to be an issue. In comparison, the current gen PS4 had 40% faster GPU and massive BW advantage. There is going to be very little difference this time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom