• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water: eShop Exclusive in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro Fly

digital only sucks

not only is it 16gb which some people may not have available. i know with Smash patches and Hyrule Warriors stuff I have several gigs just on that alone.

it also feels like something they would have known last week and didn't say a word about, which feels slimy as fuck in my opinion.

also the whole digital on a Nintendo platform thing feels gross. The infrastructure for these things just isn't there to make me feel safe about dropping $50 or $60 on a game that I'd need a police report or a nice CS rep at Nintendo to be able to download again if something happens to my Wii U.

it will undoubtedly hurt sales which sucks for a game that wasn't even a sure thing for localization. it hurts how people feel about NoA as well. I'm convinced at this point NoA hates their fanbase with some of their baffling choices.

I had no interest in this game really but this stuff leaves a sour taste in my mouth anyway.

Shauni

If you think this is frustrating, you should see the confusing with Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival. That's been a big issue already :/

I don't get it... announcing a bunch of stuff without proper information. Why?

What's the confusion about that? Base game is F2P, while there will be a physical release bundled with 2 figures and 3 cards. That's what I thought anyway.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
What's the confusion about that? Base game is F2P, while there will be a physical release bundled with 2 figures and 3 cards. That's what I thought anyway.

Because many sites are listing it as NOT containing the figures.

Shauni

Because many sites are listing it as NOT containing the figures.

I don't know, they explicitly showed the bundle coming with those figures in the press release, I believe. A lot of sites may just not have updated their placeholders for it or something.

rjc571

Banned
Not buying it then. Maybe I'll import the European version and hold onto it until I can play it via homebrew region free or until I can justify importing a European console.

Gameboy415

Ugh, I hope this isn't the case!!
I have physical copies of every other Fatal Frame game (including the Japanese versions of both Wii games and the European version of Project Zero 2 for Wii) and I'd really like to add this one to the collection.
I suppose I can just import the JP version at some point....blah.

Still I'm thrilled the game is being localized at all so I'll definitely still buy the game day 1, even if a digital copy is the only option.
Here's hoping we do get a retail version!! :)

well im a 100% digital wii u owner so this doesnt bother me but i now people that will be upset with this cause they like to collect and display all there retail games.

MarkusRJR

Well that makes sense as to why I couldn't pre-order it anywhere.

As a fan of Fatal Frame I'm pretty disappointed but I'll obviously be buying the game day one.

brinstar

Not buying it then. Maybe I'll import the European version and hold onto it until I can play it via homebrew region free or until I can justify importing a European console.

if you're going that route wouldn't it be cheaper to just import the disc to have it and then download the US game to play it?

Regiruler

Anything with bad marketing would.
Doesn't matter how much you market it. Bayo 2 got a good deal of marketing, it still bombed even though it was an exclusive sequel to a critically acclaimed game (and was critically acclaimed itself and was bundled with said first game). Just throwing marketing at something just increases your costs.

I'm so buying it, as if this bombs then Fatal Frame will really die forever in the west.

But I'm wondering, weren't they making a movie about FF in the west?

The thing about physical is that there is a good chance Europe will have physically copies like Devil's Third. If that's the case then there is no excuse for NOA not to when those same game would sell more here than in Europe.

The other thing is that companies like Xseed and NISA are able to have physical releases of niche games. Can't Nintendo partner with Xseed again for them to publish a physical release. Gamestop has done exclusive physical releases of some Vita games.

Then there is the fact that this is one of the last Wii U games and its not getting a physical release while almost all other software did.

The only software aside from $30 Art Academy that didn't have a physical release in the US was One Piece Unlimited World Red and Fist of the North Star Ken's rage 2. Two niche games that were multiplatform. Why can't Nintendo give fans a bone and do limited runs of these titles?

Because Nintendo of America is not publishing it.

Do you know for sure about Devil's Third? Because honestly with what may happen to Fatal Frame that's for the best.

Converse

Banned
Well, I was going to have to get a hard drive for the 10GB of Xenoblade X data packs -- if this news is true, I guess I'll just have to get one earlier.

Really, all this would do is stoke my OCD (for this gen, my retail titles are physical and my indie, eShop and Virtual Console titles are digital; it would be weird to have some random-assed digital retail titles). But, hell, I'd take digital over nothing in a heartbeat. If that encourages Ninty to bring over things like Fatal Frame and Devil's Third, bring it on.

The Giant

Banned
This isn't a first party title, the IP doesn't even belong to Nintendo. Plus it'd likely be a sales flop either way.

NIntendo co owns the ip with Koei Temco. Any FF game from 4 onwards, Nintendo owns it.

Koei Temco can still release FF 1-3 on other consoles.

tebunker

Banned
I think you're having trouble understanding how things work. Bayonetta 2, for example, would have sold like shit in whatever platform(s) it would have been released on. It's the same with Fatal Frame, and for the same exact reason: there is so much a publisher can do to promote a game with very limited appeal.

No I understand completely how things work, they still half ass it all the same. They don't even try a bare minimum. For me personally I am happy to get any of the games period. I just hate seeing a self fulfilling prophecy take place. If you assume it won't sell, and take no action to try and sell something, then your assumptions are born out.

If you look back at NoA since Gamecube, so when Reggie showed up, they all but abandoned supporting and marketing a wide range of titles. Which is more to what I was talking to. They just don't push many games outside of their biggest franchises too hard. It's why everyone was surprised by Splatoon's bigger marketing push.

My last point was if Nintendo of America was any good at cultivating the kind of market that would better support for games like Bayo 2, Fatal Frame and Devil's Third we wouldn't be having this discussion mainly because they would have always been cultivating the kind of market that can generate enough support for titles like this. They haven't and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Daouzin

I get that this sucks. I always by physical as well.

But would you really pass on a game if it was digital only? Seems rash.

Agreed, seems so silly that it actually offends me, haha. They should calm down, if you actually care about the game and not about having a trophy wall you'll buy it anyway.

Gamers can be so materialistic.

NoE will save the day. Plz.

The thought of spending $80 AUD on a digital game makes my skin crawl. True horror. Then again, maybe it'll be cheaper than usual because it's digit-ahahahaha.

Jamix012

Agreed, seems so silly that it actually offends me, haha. They should calm down, if you actually care about the game and not about having a trophy wall you'll buy it anyway.

Gamers can be so materialistic.

I hugely value being able to play a game in 20 years when servers no longer exist. If I need to replace my Wii U then, it's gone forever. That's a massive, massive turnoff for me.

I'll buy this any way I can but I feel like once it goes digital, then it's officially an internal mistake to have been translated and it's guaranteed to fail.

So I'm convinced this is probably going to be our last english Fatal Frame, and we just had our last english Phoenix Wright.

RIP everything good in the world.

Ridley327

Guys, Nintendo doesn't co-own the Fatal Frame IP. What they do own are the games themselves, since they fully funded them. The IP is in the same situation as Bayonetta 2.

I do think they own the Spirit Camera IP, but no one really gives a shit about that one.

Yeah, this probably is digital-only. There's no listing of the game on Amazon or GameStop, while all of the other games Nintendo talked about at E3 are.

You were so close to getting my money, NoA

I don't think any amount of marketing would help tbh

Well, certainly not in Nintendo's realm. Selling horror games nowadays would require letting a construct of Let's Play videos expand, but they are obviously actively restricting them, because the company is currently run by old men who are afraid of the internet.

In the end, they shouldn't have even funded this or Devil's Third if they just let them die. This is Konami-levels of shit behavior. They've paid for this games solely for them to become an obscurity in fanboy list wars, while the series' and developers will only be damaged for the future by having their games actively bomb like this.

Splatoon is the first time since Wii Fit they've treated a new/smaller IP with respect and oh shocker, despite looking obscure, it actually sold quite a bit. M+ rated games are obviously harder to sell on Nintendo platforms, but it doesn't have to end like this (i.e. not even giving it attention during E3).

Guys, Nintendo doesn't co-own the Fatal Frame IP. What they do own are the games themselves, since they fully funded them. The IP is in the same situation as Bayonetta 2.

I do think they own the Spirit Camera IP, but no one really gives a shit about that one.

Yeah. And if the IP survives this, it won't show up on Nintendo platforms again. Let's just hope Tecmo still tries another installment of the series after this and understands that they've chosen the wrong publisher.

They won't show up at all then, because the only reason they exist is because of Nintendo because nobody else gives a shit.

Who at Tecmo ever said that? It's not surprising they ended with Nintendo last gen, considering that Wii was the most successful console in Japan and it still had actual third party support. Tecmo also always had titles on Nintendo platforms, Nintendo just secured exclusivity for these few, but nothing ever suggested that they were the ,,saviors'' of the IP. Other Tecmo series also continued despite having similar sales histories. Ninja Gaiden and DoA also still live, despite Nintendo having to publish some of their entries in the past...

But Tecmo surely knows that it's a dead end now under Nintendo. If the IP is not coming back though, it's because Nintendo has killed it's appeal and didn't even try not to let it die. Fuck 'em.

Clov

No updates on this yet? Who do we bug on Twitter to let Nintendo know that people want a boxed release, even if it's retailer exclusive?

Tohsaka

Who at Tecmo ever said that? It's not surprising they ended with Nintendo last gen, considering that Wii was the most successful console in Japan and it still had actual third party support. Tecmo also always had titles on Nintendo platforms, Nintendo just secured exclusivity for these few, but nothing ever suggested that they were the ,,saviors'' of the IP. Other Tecmo series also continued despite having similar sales histories. Ninja Gaiden and DoA also still live, despite Nintendo having to publish some of their entries in the past...

But Tecmo surely knows that it's a dead end now under Nintendo. If the IP is not coming back though, it's because Nintendo has killed it's appeal and didn't even try not to let it die. Fuck 'em.

I don't know why they even got exclusivity since they didn't bother localizing 4 at all, and didn't bring the Wii port of 2 to America.

Uh, if not releasing the game at all in America (Fatal Frame 2 Wii) didn't scare them off, I hardly think a digital only release would do it...

I don't know why they even got exclusivity since they didn't bother localizing 4 at all, and didn't bring the Wii port of 2 to America.

The rumour mill at the time said FF4 didn't get localised because of some pretty bad bugs that KT wouldn't fix.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330105

MLH

Nintendo Co-owns the IP, all future instalments partially belong to Nintendo. Unless Nintendo sells it back to Tecmo (or decides to start letting their IP appear on rival platforms) it won't appear on other consoles.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nintendo Co-owns the IP, all future instalments partially belong to Nintendo. Unless Nintendo sells it back to Tecmo (or decides to start letting their IP appear on rival platforms) it won't appear on other consoles.
Next up is Fatal Frame Musou. Say cheese, motherfuckerrrrrrrs!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
LOL

Nintendo of America. You guys and gals slay me. Of course, if they do this, I'll be passing on the game, when a boxed copy would be Day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom