• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water: eShop Exclusive in North America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really want a physical release of this, but I can deal with it. Hopefully there's a price difference as well. I really wish Nintendo sold consoles with larger harddrives though :/

Aizo

Banned
That's its title now? That is sooooo much worse than Fatal Frame: Oracle of the Sodden Raven...
Glad I'm getting the Japanese one, so I don't have to look at that on my box.

Pretty lame if it is digital only since some people would have to buy some kind of expanded storage... for a console with an extremely limited digital offering set. Always lame to have to spend more money for no good reason. Hopefully its a physical release as well.

frequency

whats the reason most people here want it retail? collection purposes? resale value? i can understand the 2nd one i guess.

imo this is a game that'll probably get limited prints anyways

I don't have the hard drive space for it.
And buying a external hard drive significantly increases the entry price for this game.

I just want to pay the $60 USD or $70-$80 CAD to play it. Not $Game + $External HDD.

Felensis

Banned
I'm digital only so that wouldn't be a problem for me, but I can totally understand those who want an retail release. Anyway I live in Europe so let's see how NoE treats it.

Treehouse showcase was awesome plus I fairly enjoyed FF2 Wii Edition in 2012. Can't wait!

JayEH

Damn that sucks. I don't have much room on my wii u especially with Xeno X coming out and requiring all that space for download packs. Don't really want to get an external HDD for one game.

PBalfredo

God forbid Nintendo actually puts out a game that utilizes their gamepad in a meaningful way on store shelves where actual people might see it.

georly

I don't have an external drive and don't plan on getting one any time soon, so if this is eshop only, it means I won't get it, unfortunately. Oh well. Let's see what happens. At least we're getting it in SOME form.

Nintendo really just needs to expand their online store to sell stuff like this and amiibo and other things that are probably a retailer distribution nightmare.

Bust Nak

Until I hear further information I'll assume this might be the case in Europe as well. We're lucky we're even getting it.
Until I hear further information I'll assume this game gets the Bayonetta treatment in Europe. Project zero IV + V double pack bundle. Come on NoE, plz!

Pokemaniac

Of all the digital marketplaces out there, the eShop is the one that is most likely to fold up and disappear over the next ten years. If you don't care about holding onto the game then that's fine but for those that do it's a real issue.

Past precedent says otherwise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only 8th gen systems that let you keep all your digital content from the previous gen are the Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo has a long history with backwards compatibility. Especially with them talking about creating an iOS or Android-like software ecosystem for their next Gen hardware, I don't see that changing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As soon as for example Sony closes down their shop, then you get to keep the games until the hardware fails. And then it's gone. That's surely not my definition of ownership.
I agree 100% with you.

Which is why I'm so against digital distribution. I'm not arguing AGAINST the eShop while supporting the others. Hell no.

I buy physical copies whenever possible for that reason.

Dsyndrome

Don't you fucking dare, Nintendo. Not everyone has huge ass external hard drives to use your antiquated online infrastructure to have a game tied to one system
although my ass does, and if it's the only way I can play it, so be it.

I really hope it isn't digital only.... I'm running out of HDD space and would rather just own a physical copy to own on my shelf.

Is Nintendo the only console manufacturer where people get angry about digital distribution?
Everyone laughs at them that they are so old-fashioned and now this gets criticised.
Be happy that you can get this game. It will be great.
(I will not play it, I am too easily scared...)

Will buy it whatever format in comes out, I'm a consumer whore for Fatal Frame.

That being said, 16 GB with my internet plan and no extra space on my disk rn...

1mZ9S33.gif

16GB... Thats half of my HDD space...

jediyoshi

I would take this tradeoff if it meant costumes

Is Nintendo the only console manufacturer where people get angry about digital distribution?
Everyone laughs at them that they are so old-fashioned and now this gets criticised.

This is not what's happening.

I refuse to buy Nintendo games digitally, so I'll pass. What a shame. Another first party game being sent out to die for no reason. Expect to see literally zero marketing.

Dammit Nintendo if you do all these eshop exclusives make the hard drive on your systems actually able to hold more than two games. I want this game so much I'll buy it anyways though.

This.

I didn't even buy One Piece on Wii U because of the amount of space it needed for it. Nintendo really should have made the system at least hold 64 or 128gb from the start. At least then we would have had to be forced to buy new hard drives.

SerTapTap

Have you not seen the happy threads about indie games getting physical releases or the angry threads about localized games, especially Vita, not getting physical releases? A digital only release is NOT "forward thinking" or anything so this has nothing to do with old fashioned, it's just risk-adverse BS.

This.

I didn't even buy One Piece on Wii U because of the amount of space it needed for it. Nintendo really should have made the system at least hold 64 or 128gb from the start. At least then we would have had to be forced to buy new hard drives.

Even the 32GB model basically requires an HDD, even if you don't get "retail" games digitally. They should just bundle the damn thing with one at this point.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This is what I was afraid of if it's true. I mentioned it in the treehouse topic because there was no artwork or anything posted like all the other games, and it felt like a title that they would dump on the eShop.

Time to make a stink if so :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Have you not seen the happy threads about indie games getting physical releases or the angry threads about localized games, especially Vita, not getting physical releases? A digital only release is NOT "forward thinking" or anything so this has nothing to do with old fashioned, it's just risk-adverse BS.

Even the 32GB model basically requires an HDD, even if you don't get "retail" games digitally. They should just bundle the damn thing with one at this point.

What's wrong exactly with "risk-adverse BS"? If this is the only way we see the release of these very niche titles, then I'm for it. Would you rather not have it at all?

Het_Nkik

The last fatal frame had the bikini costumes removed in the European release on Wii. I expect this one to as well.

I think it's because the girls were underage. The girls in 5 are 18+ if I remember the Treehouse stream correctly.

Digital only is a shame but I'll take what I can get. I'm not petty enough to pass on a game I really want to play because I'm not happy with how it was distributed.

Yeah its getting ridiculous at this point since all the patches/dlc along with the eshop titles are eating up my harddrive.. At this rate I might as well just invest in a HDD since I'm gonna need it for xenoblade..

What's wrong exactly with "risk-adverse BS"? If this is the only way we see the release of these very niche titles, then I'm for it. Would you rather not have it at all?

This. Nintendo clearly thinks the market for these games are way too small and it's a miracle they're even bringing it over in the first place. Hoping I won't have to learn Japanese to play 6.

fernoca

Expected. I assumed it would be this way, along Devil's Third (which Itagaki alluded recently an US release will be announced soon), so... not surprising.

Still has aroung 700GB free on mine with over 30 games inatalled... bring it! :p

EDIT:
And while I understand the whole thing about ownership, many assumed that with the focus on the eShop and digital games, digital releases were still better than no releases. In cases like this game, were NA never got the previous one.

This. Nintendo clearly thinks the market for these games are way too small and it's a miracle they're even bringing it over in the first place. Hoping I won't have to learn Japanese to play 6.

I... also think the market is small for these games.
Like M-rate + niche series + Wii U = ???

From business perspective, it isn't worth it to do a retail release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom