• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite three logos from FINAL FANTASY series ?

Salsa

logo.jpg

logo.jpg

logo.jpg

game too

gunbo13

Fuu said:
I don't have a favorite (tied between VI, VII and X) but XII's is the only one I actually dislike. Being just a simple full body Judge slapped on top of the game's name makes it feel uninspired and it's also unnecessarily huge. You could make a case about how it's supposed to show the Judge's oppression over the people or whatever but nah, they outright said in an interview they made it that big because they wanted more magazine exposure.
I find it much more inspiring then playing the squeeze graphics into letter banner game. It also doesn't have to mean anything nor do you have to have a reason from the creators that you gel with. With any art, you are supposed to create your own meeting irrelevant to what the artist intended. A lot of art losses transcendence when the artist gives away the meaning.

Logos and game covers are supposed to set the "tone" of the game and look pretty. The only statement you made that sounds relevant IMO is that it is too big. Fair enough. However, everything about that logo meshes well with the tone of FFXII. A similar success would be the DS deluxe cover. This is why I don't like FF7 as it seems forced to the storyline like an amateur would pull off. FF8 suffers from trying to instill forced emotion or reactions. It shouldn't be that blunt. It sort of goes from there.

4, 6, 9, 10, and 12 are the good ones. Ranking of 12, 6, 10, 9, 4.

Granger Danger said:
FFXIII's is mindblowing once you

get to the ending and realize it was on the box all along

Then it's disappointing when you get linked to the interview where the writers admit that they couldn't come up with an ending and just decided to copy Amano's logo.

Next you realize that the art and ending are inconsistent.

I wish I could still find that interview. :I

The Praiseworthy said:
My thoughts exactly..... never though in a million years that it's
Fang and Vanille on the logo
:-(

I was shocked!!!!!

That's because it isn't.

Amano drew
Light, Serah, and Odin

Fimbulvetr said:
Then it's disappointing when you get linked to the interview where the writers admit that they couldn't come up with an ending and just decided to copy Amano's logo.

That's because it isn't.

Amano drew
Light, Serah, and Odin
Wow, I had absolutely no idea. If you can find the interview, I'd love to read it.

This just further proves what a cluster-F that game was.

On topic:

FF XIII (still, even with the above revelation)
FFX
FFXIV
in no particular order

I'm also partial to FFXIII-2 and FFX-2 for some reason...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
gunbo13 said:
I find it much more inspiring then playing the squeeze graphics into letter banner game. It also doesn't have to mean anything nor do you have to have a reason from the creators that you gel with. With any art, you are supposed to create your own meeting irrelevant to what the artist intended. A lot of art losses transcendence when the artist gives away the meaning.

Logos and game covers are supposed to set the "tone" of the game and look pretty. The only statement you made that sounds relevant IMO is that it is too big. Fair enough. However, everything about that logo meshes well with the tone of FFXII. A similar success would be the DS deluxe cover. This is why I don't like FF7 as it seems forced to the storyline like an amateur would pull off. FF8 suffers from trying to instill forced emotion or reactions. It shouldn't be that blunt. It sort of goes from there.

4, 6, 9, 10, and 12 are the good ones. Ranking of 12, 6, 10, 9, 4.
The interview quote was more about throwing light on how little they seemed to care about it but fair enough, it ultimately doesn't affect the piece (it's still too big).

A logo is supposed to set the tone, I agree, but if getting a piece of random artwork and setting it on top of the product's name (which, in FF's case, already uses a simple font so it can easily interact with a picture) was all there was to logo making anyone could be successful at it. Not sure why you would consider the ones that try to make something interesting while still keeping it simple to the eye the amateurish ones (FFVII mixes the Meteor, materia and Midgar concepts without feeling forced at all). Thankfully XII's is the only one that disregards how all the other logos in the series look and Tactics A2 provided a better use of the Judge.

I'm judging FFXII's as a logo. As a piece of artwork it's fine but as a proper logotype it's too bloated. What you consider to be "playing squeeze graphics" I call caring about design.

gunbo13

Fuu said:
A logo is supposed to set the tone, I agree, but if getting a piece of random artwork and setting it on top of the product's name (which, in FF's case, already uses a simple font so it can easily interact with a picture) was all there was to logo making anyone could be successful at it.
Everyone believes that "anyone" can create art, logos, etc... It's an armchair idea. If that is your belief then you should try to create a work of art. You'll likely appreciate the effort of such an "easy" thing as the FFXII logo. The piece is well done. It has proper proportions and obeys most rules of positioning. But yes it is big. If a large logo is not your thing, then that's respectable. Saying it is a piece of random artwork on a product name, is not.

Fuu said:
Not sure why you would consider the ones that try to make something interesting while still keeping it simple to the eye the amateurish ones (FFVII mixes the Meteor, materia and Midgar concepts without feeling forced at all). Thankfully XII's is the only one that disregards how all the other logos in the series look and Tactics A2 provided a better use of the Judge.
FFVII as a theme is amateurish. It is not the layout but what is being shown. It is way to literal as something like this logo art is directly related to event 32 on our game scenario. It's like taking the Jurassic Park logo and instead of the fossil, it shows the chase scene from the film.

Fuu said:
I'm judging FFXII's as a logo. As a piece of artwork it's fine but as a proper logotype it's too bloated. What you consider to be "playing squeeze graphics" I call caring about design.
Squeezing graphics only applies to the bad logos. FFVI does quite well with its layout and innovative positioning. FF8 doesn't exactly squeeze the content but it is just a bad logo. It goes for an effect that doesn't apply to the content. FF9 on the other hand does an excellent job. It has a great mesh with the game title without feeling overwhelming or forced.

Magnus

Fimbulvetr said:

That's because it isn't.

Amano drew
Light, Serah, and Odin

Ahahahaha, one of the only neat things in memory about that game has now been shat on and defiled. Amazing.

Mikeside

vMiXIl.jpg

Love the imagery, how it works the water theme of the game and the way the colours work

aZD3ol.jpg

Love all the characters in this one, especially the chocobo, the archer and the black mage (though I prefer it with the Japanese text instead of the English "The War of the Lions")

oPA7Zl.jpg

...and who DOESN'T love a good dragon, every now and then?

Though I also love VII, VIII, X, X-2, XI, XII, Type-0, XIII.......yeah, most of them, really - Final Fantasy logos are pretty brilliant - I hate it when the game covers aren't just the logo. *glares at FFXIII*

FFXII and FFIX are my least favorite logos.

FFIX I just don't like the beige/brown color scheme... and BLAM! little crystal rock! Away we go!

FFXII, again, comes down to the colors- navy/pink/coral/peach/whatever just doesn't mix well with me. FFX's just blends better and has more meaning to the colors.

I also don't like the massive, mangled erect penis next to the judge.

The Praiseworthy said:
Huh!!!

That dragon in the logo is supposed to be
Odin
?!!?

But it make no sense :\

1) That's just a freaky horse. You can even see the flowing mane behind its head.

2) Odin can transform into a horse in FFXIII.

It certainly ain't Bahamut.

all of amano's newer logos are insanely good.

this one might be his best:

3poac.png

if i had to choose a fav. classic artwork, reworked for PSP, i'd probaly choose this:

VwepT.jpg

and this for non mainline entry:

Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Logo.png

the echos of time logo is a mess.

Fimbulvetr said:
1) That's just a freaky horse. You can even see the flowing mane behind its head.

2) Odin can transform into a horse in FFXIII.

It certainly ain't Bahamut.

Oh..... now this make more sense :p

but now I feel cheated because they mislead the true meaning behind the logo -_-"

SalsaShark said:
allthreelogoscomefromFFIVthebestgameoftheforever.jpg

game too

Ah man, you like the FFIV:DS cover over the original? I know it's like choosing between foie gras and beluga caviar but...
best game ever

XII, IVDS, and... I dunno. I really liked the first redesigns of the FFI and FFII logos, but the newest ones they made for the PSP releases aren't that great if you ask me. It's just like they took two pictures and just placed them haphazardly on the logo with no real sense of flow or anything.

rataven

My three favorites are probably:
IV - both the Kain and Golbez logos are equally great. These two are responsible for so much muckery within the game.
V - feels like a classic fantasy with just the use of a wind drake
VII - brilliantly conveys so many themes of the game - the importance of mako, the threat posed by meteor, and the current of the lifestream

I tend to like the simpler, classic logo designs, but the art for some of the recent games, and X in particular, really is lovely. However, the more people in a logo, the less drawn to it I am. Squall and Rinoa's disembodied torsos is really unappealing to me.

Teknoman

563415_3124_front.jpg

Not my favorite (since I actually like all the logos for the main series and Ivalice Alliance sets), but the old school original font reminds me of Ys or Lords of Thunder for some reason.

Ra1den

I'd say VIII is my favorite....followed by VII and XIII. Also, didn't know that info about XIII....mind blown!

Top Bottom