• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite Old DOS Games? And I mean OLD.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Even though I already played the heck out of this on my Genesis/Mega Drive back in the day... but

The Immortal was one of my faves!

220px-The_Immortal_cover_Apple_IIGS.jpg
p-140029-The_Immortal_cover_Genesis.jpg

theimmortal-2.jpg

blogtheimmortallightning.jpg

70a9dc27558805d464ee845350b8c8ba.gif

immortaldeaths20.gif

Even though I already played the heck out of this on my Genesis/Mega Drive back in the day... but

theimmortal-2.jpg

immortaldeaths20.gif
The Dark Souls of Isometric Games™

I remember suffering through this. It was just one long, cruel puzzle after another.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Dark Souls of Isometric Games™

I remember suffering through this. It was just one long, cruel puzzle after another.

That is the perfect explanation. I loved every moment of it, and when you figured it out, it felt so rewarding... just like Souls, lol.

We did not have the internet for guides/walkthroughs back then either.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

When I was a kid I played a lot of Nicky Boom, Worms, Commander Keen, Battle Chess and a lot of shareware games from Apogee.

That is the perfect explanation. I loved every moment of it, and when you figured it out, it felt so rewarding... just like Souls, lol.

We did not have the internet for guides/walkthroughs back then either.
I played a game called Solstice on the NES (exceptional intro tune, btw) and since this looked similar I gave it a try on Genesis. I was crushed.

I finally beat the MS-DOS version many years later. I'd highly recommend the Roland MT-32 (either genuine hardware or emulated) which takes the soundtrack into the stratosphere.

Redshirt

Banned
Neuromancer is second to none for me. Along with Riddle of the Sphinx (Atari), it kind of informed me as a gamer.

But I have special love for the SSI games, which I just played through recently and think hold up to a certain extent once you get passed the oldness of them.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Would the OP be okay with very obscure DOS titles aswell? I know a thing or two (Along with Raptor's having a sequel that is far less known than the original)

My picks:
Terminal Velocity
Traffic Department 2192
Jazz Jackrabbit

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Would the OP be okay with very obscure DOS titles aswell? I know a thing or two (Along with Raptor's having a sequel that is far less known than the original)

My picks:
Terminal Velocity
Traffic Department 2192
Jazz Jackrabbit

This is the one I was trying to think of! I remember having a blast with this back in the day and enjoying the plot and characters. I don’t think we had the full game though...

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’ve never heard of Dr Drago’s Madcap Chase Around The World. I have to look that up.

It’s a board game styled race across the world, trying to reach various random checkpoints first as you go.

Think it was like up to 7 players and Drago was AI who would torment someone at random.

You get cards to help you or slow down other players. There was a great one where you could call a hot air balloon that uses a magnet to pick up the car you select and drag it to a random spot on the map and the map was huge.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Does anyone remember a game thats like a combination of a top down shooter with some unlockable upgrade elements. It was 2d with smooth scrolling EGA/VGA i think.

You fly a plane over islands and water shooting stuff shooting enemies with bullets and bombs across a large map.. you could then land at a base on different islands then uou would start from there.

I think it had the word “area” in the name.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Quake (1996)
Worms (1995)

It's crazy to think there were still companies releasing "multiplatform" PC games on DOS after Windows 95 was released.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I played a game called Solstice on the NES (exceptional intro tune, btw) and since this looked similar I gave it a try on Genesis. I was crushed.

I finally beat the MS-DOS version many years later. I'd highly recommend the Roland MT-32 (either genuine hardware or emulated) which takes the soundtrack into the stratosphere.

I remember Solstice! I messed around with it a little, but never played to the end. Most of my NES experiences outside the ones I owned, were borrowed games from my uncle which this was one of them. He was a gold mine for RPGs and RTS/Strategy games. He was also the one who got me into gaming with his C64 I got from him with hundreds of games after he picked up a C128.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not sure if C64 stuff is allowed in this thread or not, but my very first video game was Choplifter.
Yeah man, if people want to list C64 faves, even Amiga, I don’t mind.

Would the OP be okay with very obscure DOS titles aswell?
Yes. My main motivation for this thread was not being able to remember the more obscure DOS games I played back in the day.

I remember Solstice! I messed around with it a little, but never played to the end. Most of my NES experiences outside the ones I owned, were borrowed games from my uncle which this was one of them. He was a gold mine for RPGs and RTS/Strategy games. He was also the one who got me into gaming with his C64 I got from him with hundreds of games after he picked up a C128.
I never had a chance to experience the C64/Amiga/X68000/MSX sort of gaming PC machines from back then. For me, it was MS-DOS and then upwards from there. I always wondered how it would be to play those old machines, but I'd guess that the hardware is rather expensive by now.

My buddy restored an Apple ][ GS and it was glorious. I'd imagine booting up an old C64 would feel much the same.

DonF

Since lots of my childhood games are already mentioned, I'll mention the one that isnt
Skyroads

so many hours were lost in this game.

SScorpio

I never had a chance to experience the C64/Amiga/X68000/MSX sort of gaming PC machines from back then. For me, it was MS-DOS and then upwards from there. I always wondered how it would be to play those old machines, but I'd guess that the hardware is rather expensive by now.

My buddy restored an Apple ][ GS and it was glorious. I'd imagine booting up an old C64 would feel much the same.

Toying around with old hardware can be very fun. And while emulators aren't as good as the real thing. All of the computers you listed have very good emulators that would at least let you see the difference between the versions of the same game on different systems.

Another cool project is the MISTer. If you are OK with systems like the Analog NT Mini, and Super NT, then the MISTer is the open source version of that. It's a FPGA and people are creating a wide variety of cores for it, including all of the systems you listed. So classic computer systems with HDMI, USB keyboard/mouse support, and running off an SD card.

Sometime convenience trumps perfection. I have a pimped out 486 sitting at my feet. But if I really want to play something it's normally clicking a link to launch it in DOSBox along with pimping the experience with a synthetic MT32/Sound Canvas/Yamaha GM depending on the game.

Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf (1995)

fuzzyspacegolf8.gif

This is the most unique Mini-golf game.. i know off .. and its to MS-DOS.
i played this so much in multiplayer with my sister and friends back when i was 10-12 years old but occasionally i drag it out for a run :)... as its still a really good time...
The soundtrack is a kicker too :) really try it out.

What a banger :D

Redshirt

Banned

theimmortal-2.jpg

immortaldeaths20.gif

I already googled so probably not, but just in case, is there a legit way to play this w/o on a PC currently?

Toying around with old hardware can be very fun. And while emulators aren't as good as the real thing. All of the computers you listed have very good emulators that would at least let you see the difference between the versions of the same game on different systems.

Another cool project is the MISTer. If you are OK with systems like the Analog NT Mini, and Super NT, then the MISTer is the open source version of that. It's a FPGA and people are creating a wide variety of cores for it, including all of the systems you listed. So classic computer systems with HDMI, USB keyboard/mouse support, and running off an SD card.

Sometime convenience trumps perfection. I have a pimped out 486 sitting at my feet. But if I really want to play something it's normally clicking a link to launch it in DOSBox along with pimping the experience with a synthetic MT32/Sound Canvas/Yamaha GM depending on the game.
If you have further info, please PM me links. I'm familiar with FPGAs but couldn't find the MISTer project.

A big thumbs up to everyone who has posted in this thread so far. Your posts actually convinced me to take the dust cover off of my IBM Model M keyboard, to get off of my fat ass and figure out why I couldn't get a specific soundcard to work in DOS on my retro gaming rig.

And after an ~hour of trouble shooting and furiously hunting for a specific revision of a 1999-2000 era driver on the net, I stumbled onto the exact file on some random person's server: annnd, "my" problem was instantly solved. Ahem.

Retro-PC gaming difficulties aside; I'm now hitting up some mega retro gaming beats and 1990s synth tunes in the highest quality via a brand new Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 card through quality speakers & sub (y). Good times. Awwyeeah.

Dat' bASS:

Cheers GAF. Sexy Adlib, Sound Blaster 16 and emulated Roland tunes ahoy:

Worth it.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Heh, is this the thread to trick us into revealing how old we are?

256px-Legacy_of_the_Ancients.jpg

sentinel_000.png

220px-Star_Control_II_cover.jpg
I have to admit, I delayed for a second before posting the thread, lol. I thought maybe this is giving away too much info haha. It just means we’re wiser!:pie_beaming_smiling:

That Legacy of the Ancients box art is epic...

I already googled so probably not, but just in case, is there a legit way to play this w/o on a PC currently?
If you mean, can I buy it anywhere digitally, the answer is no unfortunately.

Last edited:
And after an ~hour of trouble shooting and furiously hunting for a specific revision of a 1999-2000 era driver on the net, I stumbled onto the exact file on some random person's server: annnd, "my" problem was instantly solved. ...PC Gaming ftw? Ahem.

I don't miss any of that. I actually sort of cringed reading your post. I don't miss anything about Windows 3.1, 95 or 98 either. I fell into a Windows XP comfort zone for far too long because it felt so good to have an OS that just ran (after it stabilized). Computers these days... kids have no idea.

Neolombax

A top down jet plane shooter, called Sidewinder.
The first prince of persia
There was also a game where you get to control either a giant Godzilla-like monster or giant Gorilla, and you would duke it out in this small village. You could eat the villagers too if I'm not wrong.
Also, Math Blaster. Was that DOS?

Good times.

Neolombax

Rampage. Also had a giant wolf.

After your comment I made a random google search (when I should be doing office work...but priorities, yes?), and turns out I described the game wrong. It wasn't a gorilla but a cyclops. And the game was called AAARGH!

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Big Red Racing
Redneck Rampage
Mechwarrior 2
Epic Pinball
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Settlers 2
Flying Corps
Aldos Adventure ;)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I used to play a game in the 80s in school and I forgot its name. I always wanted to look it up but can't :(

Shotpun

I just bought that series on GOG last sale. I never played them back in the day.

Me neither, but I still have an old game magazine that has all the puzzle chest riddles and their answers, and those riddles still make me go HUH? even with the answers. Seriously, I don't know what kind of enigma-decoding neo-brain you need to have to solve some of those.

Mihos

Gold Member

AD&D Gold Box games without question.

And yes, the AD&D games had the BEST covers!

GOG has them and the D&D collection goes on sale every now and then.

Just came in to make sure someone said this. I still have the decoder spinner thing, although some used the 'Page 6 word 7' DRM

I also loved that the character save data was in plain text, so you could just edit in all the best weapons/armor on your 6th play through.

I'd say Doom... but my most played game at the time was Heretic! I played on my cousin computer when I was little (I only had my first PC years later), a shining 386 (or 486?) based machine with a classic "Turbo" button on the case, it was cool at the time :D

So many memories! (but we never beat the game LOL!)

heretic_4.gif

Top Bottom