• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite Old DOS Games? And I mean OLD.

Just came in to make sure someone said this. I still have the decoder spinner thing, although some used the 'Page 6 word 7' DRM

I also loved that the character save data was in plain text, so you could just edit in all the best weapons/armor on your 6th play through.

I bought the gold box games at Babbages (before they merged with EB Games that later turned/merged whatever into Gamestop). I remember the decoder wheel, forgot about it actually until you mentioned it.

Cyndane

Neo Member
There are a couple that I have fond memories of a couple of which I ended up rebuying on Steam. Master of Orion I & II I bought on Steam.

Not sure if anyone else has ever heard of it, but there was this game that I have not ever been able to find since I played it as a kid. The game was called Abuse. I was a kid when I played it so I remember it being f'in hard. It was basically an Aliens and Predator ripoff artistically.

Abuse gameplay.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not sure if anyone else has ever heard of it, but there was this game that I have not ever been able to find since I played it as a kid. The game was called Abuse. I was a kid when I played it so I remember it being f'in hard. It was basically an Aliens and Predator ripoff artistically.

Abuse gameplay.
I’ve never seen this game before!

The intro music sounds very Metroid. Even the gameplay looks very 2D Metroid.

Adding it to my list.

Brilliant thread people. Let me add some doozies.

Willy Beamish (1991)
110811-the-adventures-of-willy-beamish-dos-front-cover.jpg

11794-the-adventures-of-willy-beamish-dos-screenshot-willy-s-room.gif

Transport Tycoon (1995)
3260-transport-tycoon-dos-front-cover.jpg

186172-transport-tycoon-dos-screenshot-the-train-arrives-at-its-destination.png

PsyEd

Here's mine most played ones that hasn't been mentioned

BioForge - imho way ahead of it's time

Noctropolice - a dark point n click Batman wannabe game with live action stuff and some bewbs - by the OLD EA. (GoG has it now).

Apart from that

BLOOD
DukeNukem3D
Z

Still have the huge box for all somewhere in the attic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, but we had those cheat/hint telephone lines! And those were not cheap, fuck. Got yelled at a few times for that back in the day.

I remember those, hah! I never called one, because I know my mom would have freaked, but I did call the "toll free" DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince from an MTV commercial, thought I was actually talking to them for a quick second, then realized it was a recording and promptly hung up.

The Nightmare on Elm Street call in one was cool too.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This thread has been great, so many good memories. I wanted to add a couple more of my favs.

Somebody mentioned Apogee/3d Realms and I thought of the great Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
blake-stone-aliens-of-gold_5.gif

and who could forget Rise of the Triad:
rise-of-the-triad-dark-war_9.jpg

Ludicrous gibs!

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I spent a few hours the other night checking out a ton of these games. Good times. Thank you to everyone that’s contributed so far.

Keep them coming. :messenger_beaming::messenger_horns:

VAL0R

Banned
qfg01-png.4299

a classic series that shaped the future, though the combination or rpg mechanics in an adventure game was never quite replicated early on

Ah, the good old days of playing this at my buddy's house when we were kids, eating Pop-tarts and his dad's awesome spaghetti. Originally called "Hero's Quest", I fell in love with this game. My avatar is the hero. In the game, I named him "Valor," which has stayed with me to this day on forums and my XBL gamertag. My friend made a map of our hometown/ his neighborhood, inspired by the game with drawings of creatures and stuff. There was this pretty little spot way up on a hill we found while exploring and called it "Erana's Peace", which is a beautiful and safe secret garden in the game.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I was a C64 kid for years. Swore by it. Until I stayed at my uncle's house one weekend and he let me mess around with Falcon 3.0 on PC...

hecatomb

Banned
Never owned a dos, but I had a old apple, some of the games were alright. IMac was the best gen for Mac gaming at the time with Bungie coming out with marathon, marathon 2, and marathon infinity, prime target, damage inc, quest of yipe 3, mighty mike, Mantra, and a lot of indie games from ambrosia software. Played some point and click games like Myst, journeyman project turbo and lighthouse.

Last edited:

Shotpun

Maybe I missed it getting posted, but Star Control II? Also another gem I've sunk countless hour into.
It was mentioned earlier by someone. Still haven't played it myself, really should fix that some day.

It is incredibly frustrating both that I no longer have any of our old family computers, and that if I wanted to buy an old 386 it would cost hundreds of dollars. I mean wtf.

Yeah, I had a 486DX2 66MHz until around 1999-2000 when its PSU (I believe) went with a bang. At that time I didn't know a thing about PC hardware, so the whole damn thing went into the bin because it was "trash" anyway. The stupidest thing I've ever done next to selling my entire PlayStation game collection early 2000. Much regret.

Glirk

Neo Member
Jumpman
Miner 2049er
7 Cities of Gold
Title Bout
Microleague Baseball
Computer Quarterback
The Infocom games

Harlock

Rex Nebular is a lot of fun. Was release in GoG. One annoying thing is that no matter how fast is the PC, still having a few seconds between changing screens.

12155.jpg

It is incredibly frustrating both that I no longer have any of our old family computers, and that if I wanted to buy an old 386 it would cost hundreds of dollars. I mean wtf.

I was always so happy to get rid of my old parts any time I upgraded. Why the hell would I ever want to go backwards in speed/performance/capacity? Well, years later, or course I do.

I got my 486 sx33 from a recycler for free. I did buy a new power supply for it (startech make AT power supplies), a gotek floppy, and an sd card ide adapter.
If you have an electronics recycler in your town/city, go and introduce yourself, give them your number. They might be able to help you out.

But yes, getting P4s and the like are pretty easy. Getting Pentium 1s and older are getting harder and harder.

Last edited:

Shotpun

Yeah sure.

Well, in that case, amiga games incoming!:

North & South:
northsout-amiga-games-retro-gaming.gif

Dogs of War:
4.png

Silkworm:
74b4080347c958a2ba344de6ba97ac7e.png

Lotus 1-3:
lotus2.png

Super Cars 1-2:
hqdefault.jpg

Those are the ones I remember playing the most with my friends, all two player greatness. Wasn't interested in PC games until they started to sound better, PC speaker "sounds" did my head in.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
North & South was in my top 5 favourite games growing up, although I mainly played the NES version as I didn’t have a computer at the time.

Ar¢tos

I really miss Warlords too... :(
I played a lot of Paperboy, I remember hating it, but couldn't stop playing it.
I know it's not DOS, but my favorite old game is Chaos: Battle of Wizards, I still play it on my phone often (it's on Google app store). I would love a proper remake of the game.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
So many good old games, and yet so many missed.

Here are my olde favorites that haven't gotten attention yet!

Civilization (the one that started it all!)
Master of Orion
Master of Magic
X-Wing
Hardball 3

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Moonstone for Amiga 500
maxresdefault.jpg
I’ve been meaning to give that a good sesh for a while now. The most I have managed so far is to give it a look for 3-4 minutes.

I am aware it has a good reputation, but I found it a bit confusing. But, like I said, I only gave it a brief look-see. I should prioritise it.

amigastar

Scopa Scopa
i remember it to be pretty difficult back in the day. Honestly thats mostly what i remember from the game. It's very gory and has nice graphics also. I mean i remember gameplay bits but it's long time ago.

Last edited:
Well, in that case, amiga games incoming!:

North & South:
northsout-amiga-games-retro-gaming.gif

Dogs of War:
4.png

Silkworm:
74b4080347c958a2ba344de6ba97ac7e.png

Lotus 1-3:
lotus2.png

Super Cars 1-2:
hqdefault.jpg

Those are the ones I remember playing the most with my friends, all two player greatness. Wasn't interested in PC games until they started to sound better, PC speaker "sounds" did my head in.

Great selection! I was a devout Amiga kid as well... until I played X-Wing on a mate's 486-SX33 in the 90's and realized that it was time to finally convince my parents to upgrade. I was a huge fan of Gremlin Games back in the day. From the games you pictured: I know that at least one of the Lotus games received a release on PC (Lotus III, I think). There was also an enhanced version of Supercars II (Supercars International) released as well for PC/DOS. It runs at a much smoother frame rate, has some extra track options, persistent skid marks (lol) and 256 colour VGA graphics. Both are worth revisiting in DOSBox! (y)

Last edited:

Mr Branding

A lot of great flashbacks in this. Great topic

This one is one of my earliest dos games which rapidly came to mind while reading the op

Top Bottom