• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite Old DOS Games? And I mean OLD.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
CommandAndConquer_7643.jpg
command-conquer_17.gif

latest
red_alert02.png

220px-MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg
11.jpg

MechWarrior_2_Ghost_Bear%27s_Legacy_box.jpg
mechwarrior2gbl_profilelarge.JPG

AWUne-660x330.jpg
322689-out-of-this-world-dos-screenshot-watch-out-for-those-alien.png

93124-Doom_(1993)(Id_Software)-1.png
doom-3.jpg

doom-2-ss1.gif
doom-ii-hell-on-earth-screen.png

Crusader_-_No_Remorse_cover.jpg
cru7.gif

220px-Swtiefightercd.jpg
cockpit1.png

95621-Wing_Commander_(1990)(Origin_Systems_Inc)-1.jpg
36307-Wing_Commander_(USA)-1459415915.jpg

Plus a lot already mentioned in here. There is so much more but I can spend all day, lol.
This guy knows what's up. I'd also include Blackthorne by blizzard into this list, oh and Z: Steel Soldiers!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My dad bought an Amiga 2000 for himself and an Amiga 1000 for us back in '89. Amiga really was the most amazing thing at the time I loved it. The 2000 had a HDD, 2 3.5" floppy drives, and didn't need a Kickstart diskette!1!1 The games were a whole gen ahead of their NES counterparts. Amiga has text-to-speech built into the OS, so games like Earl Weaver Baseball and Discovery used this for a sort of ancient voice acting.

Didn't seem like a big thing in the US at the time, we were the only people I knew that had one. Some choice cuts from Amiga...
screen_shot.jpg

#1: Defender of the Crown, Cinemaware:

#2: Earl Weaver Baseball, Don Daglow and Eddie Dombrower:

#3: Discovery, Artifactory:

Mostly played on this badboy:
konix.jpg

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I dunno if the Heroes of Might and Magic series count as DOS games, but those were some of the most fun and addicting PC games I've played. Especially Part 3.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I dunno if the Heroes of Might and Magic series count as DOS games, but those were some of the most fun and addicting PC games I've played. Especially Part 3.
Yeah, I’ve been waiting for a significant GOG sale on those for a while. I somehow never played them back in the day despite being very aware of their good reputation.

pramod

Banned
Yeah, I’ve been waiting for a significant GOG sale on those for a while. I somehow never played them back in the day despite being very aware of their good reputation.

Yeah they are like crack....I actually tried to avoid playing them recently since once you get started the hours will just fly by without you noticing...since it's a very low stress and "casual" type of game...although that doesn't mean it's not difficult to beat.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Long shot if anyone on here can remember a really old top down gangster game I believe, I remember buying up troops and then you fight the police in battles sometimes with each troop getting to take one shot each in turn like a turn based RPG.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Long shot if anyone on here can remember a really old top down gangster game I believe, I remember buying up troops and then you fight the police in battles sometimes with each troop getting to take one shot each in turn like a turn based RPG.
Was it isometric?

Mr Branding

Let me mention some of my best gaming memories as a child and post these amazing games which I've played to death:

Tyrian

Vigilance on Talos V

The game that later made me love the Soulcalibur franchise, Battle Arena Toshiden

Rebel Runner

Heroes of Might and Magic

Shotpun

Dune RTS.

Screen-Shot-2015-01-08-at-3.30.07-PM.png

I never could get into Dune 2, even back then the command one unit at a time limitation made it really hard for me to like the game. Warcraft increased the max to four but that still wasn't enough for me, still kinda have a soft spot for the game in my heart. Then came Command & Conquer and blew my socks off.

Xane

Thank you a lot for mentioning MW2, i played it a lot as a child, my gosh what a game ! Would love a remaster too. I loved using flying bots to destroy things. BTW it was beautiful for the age.

To me, my fav DOS game ever :

hqdefault.jpg

DESCENT

I love everything in this game.
This is my boy!
I still play Descent to this day.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Does anyone remember a game thats like a combination of a top down shooter with some unlockable upgrade elements. It was 2d with smooth scrolling EGA/VGA i think.

You fly a plane over islands and water shooting stuff shooting enemies with bullets and bombs across a large map.. you could then land at a base on different islands then uou would start from there.

I think it had the word “area” in the name.

Carrier command?

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Flight sims like Falcon ruled the roost back in the day.

Has anyone mentioned Geoff Crammond's F1GP? Best of class racing game. To date Codemasters and other top Racing games continue to fail to add the 'suggested gear' assist that is far better than the racing line.

The Star Wats Jedi series were very good. If memory serves k d of them was one of the first FPS doomcones Gay let you look 'up' but they did it using the PgUp and PgDown keys instead of the mouse to look around?

And has no one mentioned the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dake series?

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Has anyone mentioned Geoff Crammond's F1GP? Best of class racing game. To date Codemasters and other top Racing games continue to fail to add the 'suggested gear' assist that is far better than the racing line.

The Star Wats Jedi series were very good. If memory serves k d of them was one of the first FPS doomcones Gay let you look 'up' but they did it using the PgUp and PgDown keys instead of the mouse to look around?

I don’t think the Infinity engine games came out on DOS?

amigastar

Falcon still kicks ass today, with the BMS 4.33 Mod
Also Geoff Crammond's F1GP was my first more serious Racing game on the Amiga and made me fall in love with Racing Sims.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeh I wasn't sure tbh but people started adding Amiga game so.... :)
No big deal. Probably a better loose rule would be computer games pre 1996-1997? That’s around when the DOS to Windows transitioning was happening, I think.

Viktorija Levi

Neo Member
Memories Memories .....

Of course Prince of Persia - cant forget the sounds ))) reminds me of my childhood and old PC
Who don't remember Lemmings? Maaannn - loved them

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't have a PC until Windows 95 was a thing, so never really got to experience the horror of DOS, instead I grew up with an Amstrad CPC464 in about 1987 - taught myself some programming at 7 because I was a weirdo - and an Atari ST in 1989 (was making games in about 92 as I got the hang of STOS) - the latter was a really formative experience for me, an amazing computer that could do so much. Highlights for me:

F19 Stealth Fighter

F19stealthfighter_box_front.jpg
f-19-stealth-fighter_9.png
f-19-stealth-fighter_7.png

Midwinter 2
895728-midwinter_ii___flames_of_freedom___front.jpg
895733-midwinter_ii_flames_of_freedom_2.gif
midwinter_ii.jpg
2341.png

Damocles (Mercenary 2)
maxresdefault.jpg
6578.png

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Can a mod please delete my previous post as I cocked it up? Thank you :)

I didn't have a PC until Windows 95 was a thing, so never really got to experience the horror of DOS, instead I grew up with an Amstrad CPC464 in about 1987 - taught myself some programming at 7 because I was a weirdo - and an Atari ST in 1989 (was making games in about 92 as I got the hang of STOS) - the latter was a really formative experience for me, an amazing computer that could do so much. Highlights for me:

Honourable mention for Geoff Crammond's F1GP, which someone else already mentioned - started a long love affair with racing sims (probably also pushed along by the wonderful arcade games that came with my ST, Outrun and Super Hang On), which has led to me getting a VR setup with wheel and pedals to race in Assetto Corsa, iRacing and RFactor 2). Another for Sim City original version. No later version grabbed me in the same way, the pure fucking addiction of that game was amazing.

F19 Stealth Fighter

Flight sims didn't usually do much for me, but this one grabbed my by the bollocks. Brilliantly addictive, the 3D was decent enough, the enemies were dumb enough to have some fun with and the between-mission screens were beautifully drawn and animated. The huge box, the enormous manual which contained so much extra information that you didn't really need but added wonderful flavour to it.. I miss those days.

F19stealthfighter_box_front.jpg
f-19-stealth-fighter_9.png
f-19-stealth-fighter_7.png

Midwinter 2

Another amazing Microprose classic. Another huge box, another wonderful manual, a silly mini novel, brilliant 3D though I now find the controls more or less unworkable and can't quite fathom how 11-year-old me played the game, that trademark Microprose gorgeous pixel art between missions, complex missions in an open world where you could go anywhere and do anything. Such an incredible game.

895728-midwinter_ii___flames_of_freedom___front.jpg
895733-midwinter_ii_flames_of_freedom_2.gif
midwinter_ii.jpg
2341.png

Damocles (Mercenary 2)

Occupies a similar place in my heart to Midwinter 2, albeit this is a little earlier, and a little more British. The ship's computer was hilarious, the references to Maggie Thatcher thoroughly on point, a whole solar system to explore where you could do anything you wanted, even after the comet hit the planet and in theory you'd failed. Stunning game.

maxresdefault.jpg
6578.png

Operation Stealth

The first adventure game to really grab me, a wonderful rip off of James Bond films, with all the tropes, gorgeous to look at and while suffering some dodgy translations (it was a French game by Delphine who would go on to make Cruise For A Corpse [a game I wanted to love but could never get into], Another World and Flashback, and who had previously made Future Wars).

jamesbondstealth-3.jpg
Operation_Stealth_2.png

Nebulus (aka Tower Toppler)

Came with my Atari ST and it was an absolute bastard. Seriously bastard hard. This game caused me no end of ballache.

hqdefault.jpg

Mad Professor Mariarti

I spent hours on this as a kid, puzzling through the 5 levels of weirdness. Tbh the collision detection was utter shite, there was no scrolling (it was flip-screen) but there was some inescapable charm.

2580158-8375082022-66267.jpg
madprof-480x299.png
Mad_Professor_Mariarti_2.png

I guess that this thread is a good place to post this...

I've just started watching Star Trek Deep Space 9 for the first time and I think it's absolutely brilliant. And now I'm totally in the mood a good Star Trek game.

It got me wondering whether the DOS Star Trek titles are worth jumping into. Specifically:
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Star Trek Judgement Rites

startrek25-5.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions on them? I was a kid when they came out but I always picked up the boxes for them longingly whenever I was at a store or game shop. I always wanted them but I never ended up getting a chance to experience them during in the era.

Should I hunt down a copy on eBay for my retro rig?

Lamborghini is kinda my quintessential DOS game. I remember buying the Floppy and being so disappointed that our computer couldn't run it (may have been a bug, may have been specs, I was too young to know). So when we got a new computer I was so thrilled that it worked.

It's actually not THAT great... I could only really make it 3 races in. The main thing that I always thought was neat was that it had a whole Cop system in it, which was long before Need for Speed and the like. Really gave you a good rush when you're a kid.

"I'm breakin the laaaaw!!".

Games available in-browser here: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/lamborghini-american-challenge-2nc/play-2nc

Last edited:

Shotpun

I guess that this thread is a good place to post this...

I've just started watching Star Trek Deep Space 9 for the first time and I think it's absolutely brilliant. And now I'm totally in the mood a good Star Trek game.

It got me wondering whether the DOS Star Trek titles are worth jumping into. Specifically:
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Star Trek Judgement Rites

startrek25-5.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions on them? I was a kid when they came out but I always picked up the boxes for them longingly whenever I was at a store or game shop. I always wanted them but I never ended up getting a chance to experience them during in the era.

Should I hunt down a copy on eBay for my retro rig?

Both of them are at GOG.com and according to this compatibility sheet they got at vogons both come with images of the original CD versions, so you don't necessarily need to go hunting them unless you like to have the physical copies.

Can't say much about the games as I haven't played them, I did once watch a full playthrough of 25th anniversary out of curiosity and it seemed to be very faithful to the original series so if you like that I'd imagine you will also like the games.

Shadow President (1993)
shadowpresident-4.jpg

Destruction Derby 2 (1996)
dd2demo_074.png
Oooh very nice, I remember playing an old demo of Destruction Derby on my first PC!
It was on those weird looking CD compilations full of demos, budget games and wallpapers, common at time in my country :D the memories, aww

00ich

Obviously Doom
Runner ups:
Stunts aka 4D sports driving with it's amazing track editor.
4d-sports-driving-03.jpg

Ultima 7, basically an open-world RPG in 1992. With an immersive ui almost free of icons, dialogue trees and real-time combat it was quite far ahead of it's rivals. It was top-down 2D though.
Ultima_7_-_DOS_-_Fortune_Teller.png

Nymphae

Banned
CROSS COUNTRY CANADA

p0IoOQ3.jpg

https://classicreload.com/crosscountry-canada.html

We used to play the shit out of this game in school, trying to break the game systems in any way we could. We would put chains on our tires in the summer, speed everywhere, and swear like truckers at every command prompt.

There were legends of people who had come across hitchhikers on the road, who were then killed by said vagrant on route to the destination.

Last edited:

TFGB

I wasn’t a DOS gamer (I’ve never been a PC gamer) as I was a ZX80/ZX81/48/128 Speccy kid from 1980 onwards ...but not sure about posting Speccy games in here? :/

In ‘86 I was given an Atari ST (and subsequently saved up for an Atari ST Mega 4 primarily for Cubase & music production), and I did play a few games on it that I beilieve were also available on MS DOS - mainly:

Starglider (1986), by Rainbird Software which was the sister company of the successful Firebird Software, both created and owned by British Telecom. A quality product throughout (even the packaging) and the digitised speech and music helped to set a benchmark at that time in pretty much every aspect of game design and execution:

The Pawn (1986), originally developed by Magnetic Scrolls as a text-only adventure in 1985 and published by Sinclair Research for the Sinclair QL, Rainbird software once again came up trumps when they re-released it a year later for the ST & Amiga (and many other platforms including MS-DOS) with beautiful pixel-based graphics, the likes of which were a rarity in those days. It featured a complex parser system which also felt incredibly intelligent at the time and was used on later Magnetic Scrolls adventures such as The Guild of Thieves and Jinxter.

The%2BPawn2.jpg

Rocket Ranger (1988), a Cinemaware game that holds a dear place in my heart. I didn't have the ST version of the game, but I was always bunking off school with my best mate at the time and going round to his gaf to play this on his Amiga. I just remember the game being extremely atmospheric, and I can't forget the codewheel that came with the game which was a rudimentary form of copy protection.

Speedball (1988), a Bitmap Brothers classic with music by the genius David Whittaker. I spent hours on this game even though I was pretty crap at it, but it was immense fun at the time.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I wasn’t a DOS gamer (I’ve never been a PC gamer) as I was a ZX80/ZX81/48/128 Speccy kid from 1980 onwards ...but not sure about posting Speccy games in here? :/

In ‘86 I was given an Atari ST (and subsequently saved up for an Atari ST Mega 4 primarily for Cubase & music production), and I did play a few games on it that I beilieve were also available on MS DOS - mainly:

Starglider (1986), by Rainbird Software which was the sister company of the successful Firebird Software, both created and owned by British Telecom. A quality product throughout (even the packaging) and the digitised speech and music helped to set a benchmark at that time in pretty much every aspect of game design and execution:

The Pawn (1986), originally developed by Magnetic Scrolls as a text-only adventure in 1985 and published by Sinclair Research for the Sinclair QL, Rainbird software once again came up trumps when they re-released it a year later for the ST & Amiga (and many other platforms including MS-DOS) with beautiful pixel-based graphics, the likes of which were a rarity in those days. It featured a complex parser system which also felt incredibly intelligent at the time and was used on later Magnetic Scrolls adventures such as The Guild of Thieves and Jinxter.

The%2BPawn2.jpg

Rocket Ranger (1988), a Cinemaware game that holds a dear place in my heart. I didn't have the ST version of the game, but I was always bunking off school with my best mate at the time and going round to his gaf to play this on his Amiga. I just remember the game being extremely atmospheric, and I can't forget the codewheel that came with the game which was a rudimentary form of copy protection.

Speedball (1988), a Bitmap Brothers classic with music by the genius David Whittaker. I spent hours on this game even though I was pretty crap at it, but it was immense fun at the time.

Yeah, Speccy games are fine. The more, the merrier.

Man, those games look interesting, I’ll have to look into them. I was ADDICTED to Speedball 2 on the Amiga back in the day.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Damn how could I forget Speedball? I only played Speedball 2 but it was absolutely brilliant, I still to this day play it on an emulator once in a while, it's STILL good.

Also forgot this absolute classic..

Mega Lo Mania
Simple RTS of sorts I guess.. you breed men, send them down the mines, and once they've mined resources you research and build weapons to fight your enemies. The sound was what really did it for me, in much the same way as Stronghold did when I discovered it about a decade after it came out (your people loathe you sire). The highlight for me is probably 'ergonomically terrific' and 'we're running out of elements' which I insisted on misinterpreting as running out of elephants. Much funnier that way in my mind. Only had an ST format demo disk as a kid but played it years later on an emulator and absolutely loved it.

iu

00ich

Anyone here played Alley Cat?

alleycat-splash.jpg
?
On a friend's 286 with Hercules card in glorious black and white. Look at that monochrome monster:
KL_Hercules_HGC.png

(there are smaller clones and I don't really know what was in his computer)

Also from that time: California games
897641-california-games-dos-screenshot-bmx-hercules-monochrome.png

Last edited:
I think an interesting complementary thread to this one would be for Windows 3.1 games. That platform usually seems ignored in retro discussions, I guess because the library was't huge.

But it did have Castle of the Winds so.....

Top Bottom