• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guymelef

So yesterday it was 4.5GB plus 1GB for devs making it 5.5 GB .
Now today it's 4.5GB plus 512 MB for devs making it the 5GB.
Wonder what it going to be later on next week and this also goes against the info from insiders yesterday .
Well i along for the ride either way .

0 GB + the infinite power of the cloud

Izcarielo

Banned
I think i'm going to cancel the preorder and it's not a joke.

I won't go to preorder a Xbox One, because it is a complete mess, but I was expecting that PS4 would be a console.

For what I see, the PS4 almost reserve half of the RAM for things that I don't give a shit about.

I want to pay for a console. I'm not going to pay 3'5GB of GDDR5 (that is very expensive) for things that I don't care about.
Maybe I'm getting older, but this kind of shit is not for me anymore.

It's not the price, nor the games or even the memory. Is the concept and paying for things that I don't like.
When MS announced Xbox one with all this TV, cloud and blah blah, I said, this is not for me. But PS4 was presented as "the console of gamers, made for gamers".

I don't know any gamer that say "oh, please, put another 2'5GB of GDDR5 for OS stuff instead of using it in games!!"

Yes, same thing for me.
Although im not going to go as far as cancelling my pre-order, it infuriates me that almost half the RAM is going to be used for social bullshit and things i dont care about.

itsgreen

There's no reason they couldn't just store that on the HDD.

It's a performance issue. A HDD is not great at multi tasking... so if it needs to load something from the HDD it will get severe downgraded performance if it's also doing another task (storing recording).

Someone else said lifetime, but that isn't really an issue. HDD's should be perfectly able to work thousands of hours of 100% load.

I think i'm going to cancel the preorder and it's not a joke.

I won't go to preorder a Xbox One, because it is a complete mess, but I was expecting that PS4 would be a console.

For what I see, the PS4 almost reserve half of the RAM for things that I don't give a shit about.

I want to pay for a console. I'm not going to pay 3'5GB of GDDR5 (that is very expensive) for things that I don't care about.
Maybe I'm getting older, but this kind of shit is not for me anymore.

It's not the price, nor the games or even the memory. Is the concept and paying for things that I don't like.
When MS announced Xbox one with all this TV, cloud and blah blah, I said, this is not for me. But PS4 was presented as "the console of gamers, made for gamers".

I don't know any gamer that say "oh, please, put another 2'5GB of GDDR5 for OS stuff instead of using it in games!!"

2013_%2525206_16_21_21.gif

THEY TOOK OUR RAM!

TEY TUK OUR RAAM

DAY DERK ER REEEERM!
DERK UHR DURR!

Sethos

Banned
Yes, same thing for me.
Although im not going to go as far as cancelling my pre-order, it infuriates me that almost half the RAM is going to be used for social bullshit and things i dont care about.

THEY TOOK OUR RAM!

TEY TUK OUR RAAM

DAY DERK ER REEEERM!

ReaperXL7

People may fall but they will fall fighting for what they believe. Almost makes me well up thinking about it.

No tears my friend, better men then we are fighting the good fight. They will be our champions, our saviours. They will bring light to our darkness, and peace to our souls. The war will rage until the end times, and all that will be left are broken dreams, and scattered memories, but atleast they fought for what truely mattered. We can only understand that a new generation is upon us when the war begins anew, and the fire is rekindeld in hearts of the warriors, and begun it has.

pargonta

8 > 4.5
i am disappointed.

ps4 was shaping up to be a super mega system for the history books. starting to come down to reality i guess.

devs who were clamoring for 8 will have to wait for next gen i guess.

Hydrargyrus

I remember when people used to buy consoles to have fun. I miss those days of innocence.

Now its just - Less RAM available to devs than I thought? Preorder cancelled!

Yup

Pretty much. I want a console only to play games. The only thing that cares me are games. I don't even care for the OS, sharing pics and videos, party chat, the looking of the PS store...

So, for what I see, this concept doesn't fit with what I'm looking for.

Sorry for saying that I'm going to cancel the preorder (I did not pay for it, thankfully), I don't want to troll, it's only that I'm disappointed with the console concept, probably because I misunderstood the message

SgtCobra

RAM has changed.

It's not about performance, or better textures.
It's not even about a better LOD, processing data, or more speed.
It's an endless series of discussions about the split between the 8GB GDDR5 RAM,
fought by fanboys and forum members.
RAM, and its vast consumption of a console's life,
has become a rational, well-oiled business transaction.
RAM has changed.
3,5GB of RAM available for the OS inside their consoles enhance and regulate their actions.
Facebook control.. Sharing control..
Party chat control.. Background music control.
Everything is monitored, and kept under control.
RAM has changed.
The age of gaming is now the age of OS,
averting catastrophe from a slow unresponsible OS.
And he who controls the OS, controls history.
RAM has changed.
When the OS is under total control,
RAM becomes routine.

DedValve

Banned
Remember when everyone was defending the original 4gb of gddr5 saying it trumps 8gb of ddr3? Now its 4.5gb of gddr5 vs 5 ddr3 and the internet riots.

I guess its good that the only complaints PS4 gets is light bars and having ram reserved for the OS blown to massive proportions.

Constantly writing to the HDD reduces its lifespan.

DVRs literally write to their hard drives 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for years and years. The PS4 only needs to write to disk while you are playing. It's a complete non-issue.

True but if you're streaming in game data and saving out video at the same time, it's going to much slower streaming in data.

Here's what they probably do: buffer 30 seconds of video in RAM at a time. It probably wouldn't take this much, but lets assume 100MBs of RAM is earmarked for that purpose. Since the SATA drive probably works at about 100MB/s all the system needs to do is be able to burst write to the drive at least 1 second out of every 30 seconds you play. Even if a game is making heavy use of the disk it won't be hard to find time for those writes.

Uiki

RAM has changed.

It's an endless series of discussions about the split between the 8GB GDDR5 RAM,
RAM has changed.
3,5GB of RAM available for the OS inside their consoles enhance and regulate their actions.
RAM has changed.
RAM has changed.
RAM becomes routine.

You just won the internet.

Yup

Pretty much. I want a console only to play games. The only thing that cares me are games. I don't even care for the OS, sharing pics and videos, party chat, the looking of the PS store...

Sorry for saying that I'm going to cancel the preorder (I did not pay for it, thankfully), I don't want to troll, it's only that I'm disappointed with the console concept, probably because I misunderstood the message
It's funny, because developers (you know, those folks who actually makes the games you want) couldn't be more ecstatic with how much power they have at their fingertips with PS4.

But I guess since you can't have all the RAMs, you should just take your ball and go home.

this is one of the threads that we're going to visit back mid gen and laugh!

Nope, because there won't be a mid gen. Sony is doomed! Everyone is canceling preorders, Microsoft wins without firing a shot (in fact, they win even though they spent the first few months of battle prep stuffing pocket lint and sand into their cannons). It's over! Over forever!

Yup

So you will pass on nextgen? No PS4, no X1, no PC?

glenn8

Banned
I wouldnt jump the gun yet. Just yesterday, we had some proven insiders saying that these numbers DF had were flat out wrong.
Either way, its probably smart of them to reserve some to avoid issues like they had this gen, where they couldnt add features because of the lack of ram.

i only saw insiders n devs kinda confirming it, without pointing it out directly

Guymelef

It's funny, because developers (you know, those folks who actually makes the games you want) couldn't be more ecstatic with how much power they have at their fingertips with PS4.

But I guess since you can't have all the RAMs, you should just take your ball and go home.

Developers are laughing with this kind of threads.

Croyles

Holy shit, this.

I don't know if people understand this, but individually, both consoles have more RAM available to them than every other console in every previous generation combined, while likely having superior OSes that will be snappier and more responsive and feature capable than anything we've seen yet. It's up to both Sony and MS to make good use of this, but there's goddamn plenty of room for developers to make magic happen on both systems.

PS4 might have an edge with the GPU and the speed of the RAM, but at the end of the day it's ALWAYS going to come down to games. Play whatever the fuck you want guys, but have some perspective.

It's like you're speaking Chinese to Gaf. :)

CTLance

So this is the next Salmon & Bear thread? I am soooo there. Front row seats, baybee.

Still wondering wtf Sony is doing with all of that memory, but whatevs.

The silliest part is the number 4.5.... even though it seems the only reason it's happened is to match xbox, it ends up below Xbox 5gb for reasons.

Salaadin

Which proven insider said that the numbers were flat out wrong?

I *think* it was Verendus. I cant find yesterdays thread to verify though. Its not showing up for me for some reason.

i only saw insiders n devs kinda confirming it, without pointing it out directly

I could swear that I saw one specifically say that "Theyre wrong. They need to write better articles or analyze better" or something like that. I might be wrong though as Im having trouble finding that post.

I should also point out that Im not saying that Sony isnt reserving a chunk of RAM for other things...Im only saying that I have trouble trusting DFs numbers and articles on it.

RAM has changed.

RAM has changed.
RAM has changed.
RAM has changed.
RAM becomes routine.
But yeah, it's still staggering how Sony comes up with a absolutely staggering hardware design for the PS4, only to fuck up with its OS. I mean 3,5 GB, come on.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I *think* it was Verendus. I cant find yesterdays thread to verify though. Its not showing up for me for some reason.
I would challenge his claim as a proven insider. I would like a breakdown of his prediction, because the only one I personally remember by him was that FF15 was going to be co-developed by SCEJ and therefor exclusive.

CBoaT and famousmortimer are the one for me.

Yup

*facepalm*

I would really love to know the thought processes behind these types of comments.

Vashetti

Banned
8 > 4.5
i am disappointed.

ps4 was shaping up to be a super mega system for the history books. starting to come down to reality i guess.

8GB was never going to be completely open to devs.

The console has an OS that has been stated to be super fast and convenient. That takes RAM.

They're just trying to avoid a PS3 situation where they had to play catch-up to Microsoft with all the features they were offering.

I think bish put it in the archives but yes it was Verendus who said the numbers were wrong .

I would challenge his claim as a proven insider. I would like a breakdown of his prediction, because the only one I personally remember by him was that FF15 was going to be co-developed by SCEJ and therefor exclusive.

CBoaT and famousmortimer are the one for me.

CBoaT only does MS stuff and famousmortimer has also been wrong just like all insiders it happens .
If Verendus was a fake mods would have ban him after E3.

8 > 4.5
i am disappointed.

You do realise there was 0% chance of it ever using all 8gb for games?

StaSeb

I am not really sure if this is a discussion anymore, but just some food for thought: In the PS3-lifecycle Sony halfed the memory-footprint of its OS. It was over 100 MB at launch and the later versions clocked in at around 50 Megs of mem-usage.

So lets dew the math... 4,5 + 0,5 + 1,75 (because OS-Footprint is halved) = 6,75 GB of sweet GDDR5 in 2018!!!!

that was the initial plan, afaik as well

Developers are laughing with this kind of threads.

Exactly! John Bellomy from Naughty Dog (fucking Naughty Dog, for fucks sake!) tweeted that there weren't enough palms to face.

But what does he know? DEH TOOK AR RAMS!

I care, I don't read GAF to bathe in consensus.

So you read it to bathe in hyperbole and over-reaction? Odd, but to each his own.

With each passing week, both consoles move closer and closer to being the same.

Until Sony pops a weaker GPU, inferior RAM, a mandatory camera, and a higher price tag on the console, that's not even remotely true.

What I don't get is what the fuck they would do if they went with 4gb as originally planned...

And their OS features better be really fucking great.

pargonta

You do realise there was 0% chance of it ever using all 8gb for games?

i do yeah. I was more thinking of... was it crytek or DICE or someone saying they wanted 8 gigs... obviously meaning available for development.

i guess they will be disappointed, but it does make sense to future proof the OS and be smart about current standards.

PS4 was designed to be a 2GB GDDR5 system, later they moved to 4GB and only shortly before E3 they choose go up to 8GB.

3.5GB OS reserved RAM from a system that should've been equipped with 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom