• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
It's not like the CPU and GPU were matching the RAM anyway, for them to add loads of new features running etc.

And I don't want a slow OS. I want it Vita fast.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't think Jonathan Blow's comments should be taken as anything other than a thinly veiled attack on Microsoft for the way that they treated him when he worked on their platform. He presumably knew at the time that The Witness' RAM footprint would have to come down, he just wanted to have a stab at MS.

Basically the videogame equivalent of 'my new boyfriend's dick is bigger than yours' to an ex.

Sethos

Banned
untitled-5b4ug1xto30.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So am I right in saying that PS4 has 4.5Gb for games and Xbox One has 5.5Gb?

Vestal

Gold Member
I don't get how this is possible, let alone tolerable. Consoles OS should be closer to smartphones and tablets rather than PC, how in God's name does that stuff take three and a half gigabytes worth of memory at any given time? To do that on PC you need to do something big on Photoshop, have who knows how many heavily flash-based tabs open in your browser and game at Full HD, all at the same time.
remember something though. On tablets your os and apps reside on flash memory which is much more responsive than hdds which consoles use. Therefore more physical memory needs to be used to maintain snappiness.

IN&OUT

Banned
5gb is still plenty to play with and I'm fairly sure Sony/MS will be able to reduce OS footprint in the future. I just find it strange that EG numbers kept changing continuously.

this news came as a surprise considering old PS4 rumored 4gb setup, which also indicate that Sony might have done a complete overhaul for PS4 OS.

My interpretation for this is either:

Sony reserve 1.5gb for OS, 1gb (Future proof) 1gb (flex- devs can use by disabling some OS functions)

OR

This whole RAM drama doesn't exist, and Sony will reveal OS allocation in the future which will be around 1.5gb (OS) 6.5gb (games)

This is all estimations.

HyperV

Banned
I am not really sure if this is a discussion anymore, but just some food for thought: In the PS3-lifecycle Sony halfed the memory-footprint of its OS. It was over 100 MB at launch and the later versions clocked in at around 50 Megs of mem-usage.

So lets dew the math... 4,5 + 0,5 + 1,75 (because OS-Footprint is halved) = 6,75 GB of sweet GDDR5 in 2018!!!!

I'm sure that's Sony's future 'goal'.

I expect both Sony and MS to reduce the OS footprint over time, just as did for the current gen.

TuXx

I'll wait till i hear further clarification on where the remaining RAM will go. Most likely the rest of the RAM is being reserved. The OS using 3 GBs of RAM seems a little too far fetched to me.

So am I right in saying that PS4 has 4.5Gb for games and Xbox One has 5.5Gb?

The only real take-away from all this is that all developers working on PS4 titles right now are working within the limitations of 4.5GB, while Sony's still messing around with the 3.5GB for whatever reason.

What the final allocation will be is still unknown, but devs can comfortably work knowing that no matter what, they'll havef 4.5GB at the very least.

Maybe by the end of the day, it'll be 7:1... or 6:2... or 5.5:2.5... or 4.5:3.5, but it'll never be less than 4.5:3.5.

We have no idea because it's clear Sony still haven't finalised details on their OS allocation.

i-Lo

I don't get how this is possible, let alone tolerable. Consoles OS should be closer to smartphones and tablets rather than PC, how in God's name does that stuff take three and a half gigabytes worth of memory at any given time? To do that on PC you need to do something big on Photoshop, have who knows how many heavily flash-based tabs open in your browser and game at Full HD, all at the same time.

Yep. The total system ram in my current computer is 4GB and I have barely ever reached 90% of it aside from when having my browser and resource heavy program open for editing gifs.

remember something though. On tablets your os and apps reside on flash memory which is much more responsive than hdds which consoles use. Therefore more physical memory needs to be used to maintain snappiness.

Makes me wonder: Whatever happened to the rumoured 16GB flash memory that was supposed to be integrated with the system.

-PXG-

I don't see why this is such a big deal. Hasn't Guerilla been on record, for months, saying that Killzone uses approximately up to 5 GBs of RAM? You also have to put into account that the OS is constantly running the background too. How could anyone assume that all of the system's memory could be allocated for games only.

Seriously what idiot thought that all 8 gigs would be used for games? Why is this an issue still?

hell Id be happy with 2 gigs of GDDR5 dedicated to games

You would? I thought Sony said RAM increase was the #1 most requested developer feature? After a couple of years 2gb won't be enough.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In other words, still no big deal.

Can't really go round and round for another thread and deal with ignorance on the issue when we had a broken discussion the last 2 threads.

Mung

The only real take-away from all this is that all developers working on PS4 titles right now are working within the limitations of 4.5GB, while Sony's still messing around with the 3.5GB for whatever reason.

What the final allocation will be is still unknown, but devs can comfortably work knowing that no matter what, they'll havef 4.5GB at the very least.

Maybe by the end of the day, it'll be 7:1... or 6:2... or 5.5:2.5... or 4.5:3.5.

We have no idea because it's clear Sony still haven't finalised details on their OS allocation.

A very good post. Someone with sense.

If people took my "nobody cares" seriously, I'd worry about their mental health, as I generally don't take Spongebob's opinion at face value.

It's an obvious attempt at humorously relaying my contempt for this tired topic. If I honestly thought nobody cared, the amount of pages already devoted to discussion in this thread would serve as a rude awakening.

Relax.

I have no objections to your stating that you don't care, I just wanted to say (or confirm ) that I do.

We talking about nothing, I think.

So this is actually worse than what was initially reported, if true. They only have 4.5GB of memory that can be used for games without worring about running into OS performance issues. Now, this is incredibly disappointing. I couldn't care less about those OS functionalities exept for web browsing and maybe video recording. However, I don't really care about using a web browser or other apps while I am playing a game. If I am playing a game I just want to focus on playing the game.

Erdem

Banned
Disappointing news. So it's not that different from Xbox 1 apart from a slightly better GPU.

I was tempted but I'll be sticking with PC.

Vestal

Gold Member

Maybe by the end of the day, it'll be 7:1... or 6:2... or 5.5:2.5... or 4.5:3.5, but it'll never be less than 4.5:3.5.

which if true doesn't bode well. 3 months from release and the OS is still going through major overhauls??? 3months from release you should be feature set and polishing up, not adding and removing features.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Read the thread its not people straight away showed the guy was lying about the tweets being deleted
Damn, I just checked that because when people make testable claims I like to look them up.

Because straight up lying to others to get a reaction out of them is disgusting.

Here is the conversation:
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/343883944741195777

He talks a lot about RAM starting from June 9th for approximately a week.

I would like to understand why a console os would need over 3G of GDDR5. It does not compute.
I think everyone wants to know. It's an absurd number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom