• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
these systems just keep moving closer and closer together.

1y2pmf.png

Salaadin

I would challenge his claim as a proven insider. I would like a breakdown of his prediction, because the only one I personally remember by him was that FF15 was going to be co-developed by SCEJ and therefor exclusive.

CBoaT and famousmortimer are the one for me.

Fair enough.
Above anything else, I just wish Sony would clarify. I wonder if they ever will.

I think bish put it in the archives but yes it was Verendus who said the numbers were wrong .
Lol, that explains it. At least I know Im not imagining things.

i-Lo

Rumoured flexible ram amount went down by 50% and my disappointment increased by 100%.

At this point I'm seriously wondering would remote play alongside who-the-fuck-asked-for-it "15" minutes of HD recording be really be that resource intensive so as to overshadow the ram requirements of a box that does more for media functionality via cable tv and kinect.

Yesterday, the OS didn't look like a bloat-ware but with the addition of an extra 512MB it is starting to.

If only I had vulcan like clarity. Perhaps then instead of feeling resentful, I'd logically just cancel my game preorders save up money for a gaming PC (innately jack of all trades) instead of buying both machines whose manufacturers forgot assign an identity to their "gaming" device.

Facism

forgive me.

Is this all nonsense rumour and speculation again, or hard, cold fact that goes against what the insiders have been saying?

Seems like an awful amount of energy wasted if it's the former.

Paracelsus

I don't get how this is possible, let alone tolerable. Consoles OS should be closer to smartphones and tablets rather than PC, how in God's name does that stuff take three and a half gigabytes worth of memory at any given time? To do that on PC you need to do something big on Photoshop, have who knows how many heavily flash-based tabs open in your browser and game at Full HD, all at the same time.

It is 1GB, but somehow he managed to interprete it as only 512MB of physical memory ever really being available. Richard Leadbetter is now performing magic: the PS4 RAM is slowly disappearing with each update.

I'm waiting for the moment when PS4 RAM will pass below the critical 4GB level. We're almost here, shouldn't take too much.

BigDug13

With each passing week, both consoles move closer and closer to being the same.

Yep, both will have robust OS features with multitasking capabilities and will have extensive capabilities with their camera systems. So then the difference will become speed of RAM, speed of GPU and CPU, total system cost. All which favors PS4 until MS decides to make Kinect optional, then you're still left with the spec difference in speed of components and games.

Here's hoping Sony knows that people are going to want answers for this now. They need to confirm or clarify it before the rumor mill goes even crazier.

Otherwise, this will be a hell of a distraction at Gamescom.

Hydrargyrus

It's funny, because developers (you know, those folks who actually makes the games you want) couldn't be more ecstatic with how much power they have at their fingertips with PS4.

But I guess since you can't have all the RAMs, you should just take your ball and go home.

I don't know what could they do if they could use 6GB of that RAm.
I have said that is not for the memory, it's because the orientation. It's because the concept of the console itself.

I don't want to pay for things that I don't care, like Kinect, sharing options, videochat...

I thought that PS4 had left all this things behind, using the minimum for this, because it was going to be "for games" or "for gamers" or whatever.

But I see that they are more interested in what MS could do with his multimedia device than be 100% game orientated

Gemüsepizza;73163741 said:
So you will pass on nextgen? No PS4, no X1, no PC?

Probably.
I think it's time to leave this hobby. I feel like i'm not ready for this gen... :D :D

What I don't get is what the fuck they would do if they went with 4gb as originally planned...

And their OS features better be really fucking great.

Thing is the extra 4GB really not going to matter for the first year .
Most of the games being made on non final devs kits and cross gen game won't use it for much .
Still i hope at the end of the day the OS not bigger than 2GB .

forgive me.

Is this all nonsense rumour and speculation again, or hard, cold fact that goes against what the insiders have been saying?

Seems like an awful amount of energy wasted if it's the former.

Still unconfirmed, but seems likely when you consider some of the developers responses.

I mean, not this thread specifically, but the previous one.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Now I only need to upgrade to a 4Gb GDDR5 graphics card in order to play next gen games. For a moment there I thought I'd need a GeForce Titan in order to play PS4 ports on my gaming PC.

PS4 once had 8 Gigs of RAM
Consumers and developers said "damn"
By Monday, I guess,
It'll be 6 for the OS,
7 for games was some sort of scam.

I don't know what could they do if they could use 6GB of that RAm.
I have say that is not for the memory, it's because the orientation. It's because the concept of the console itself.

I don't want to pay for things that I don't care, like Kinect, sharing options, videochat...

I thought that PS4 had left all this things behind, using the minimum for this, because it was going to be "for games" or "for gamers" or whatever.

But I see that they are more interested in what MS could do with his multimedia device than be 100% game

According to the same rumor, a decent chunk of the "missing" RAM is being reserved. Meaning they'll no doubt open it to developers when/as needed. At this point in time, no game is going to be approaching the area where they'll be maxing out the RAM. If they were, we'd be hearing complaints from devs, instead of gushing praise.

Dramos

I don't see the huge deal about this. Games are still going to look good. We expected 4GB of GDDR5 in the first place back in Feb...

Evoga

So the dualshock retina blinding flashlight which can't be turned off needs 4GB now!!

Preorder cancelled...

Skyzard

Banned
Does anyone really care?

If it goes to the OS, better OS.

Goes to the games, probably lazier devs, they've got a lot to work with now already.

And then, DDR5

Seriously what idiot thought that all 8 gigs would be used for games? Why is this an issue still?

hell Id be happy with 2 gigs of GDDR5 dedicated to games

Satchel

Banned
What I don't get is what the fuck they would do if they went with 4gb as originally planned...

And their OS features better be really fucking great.

Because maybe some of us were right when we guessed Sony upped the RAM to 8GB last minute as a reaction to something they heard coming out if Microsoft?

I've been banned for saying in honesty that Sony is great at appealing to their fanboys, yet I said it as a compliment. This situation proves it.

Its how they built such a large passionate fan base.

Of COURSE they weren't going to focus on media capabilities and such. But most knew that would still be part of the plan. But I doubt they expected MS to go 8GB and reserve so much for the OS features.

After what happened with the PS3, Sony wasn't going to let that happen again. Like I've said, I'm glad they are. I want a fast OS with the ability to evolve.

i-Lo

PS4 once had 8 Gigs of RAM
Consumers and developers said "damn"
By Monday, I guess,
It'll be 6 for the OS,
7 for games was some sort of scam.

I hope it does. It'll make cancelling my preorders easier.

Plus, given how inconsequential some devs think amount of ram is, they can challenge themselves to bring out the AAA-game via optimizing like no one's business.

I like to read posts before I judge whether they are worth reading. If people took your "nobody cares" seriously then I wouldn't be able to. That is why I say I care.

If people took my "nobody cares" seriously, I'd worry about their mental health, as I generally don't take Spongebob's opinion at face value.

It's an obvious attempt at humorously relaying my contempt for this tired topic. If I honestly thought nobody cared, the amount of pages already devoted to discussion in this thread would serve as a rude awakening.

Relax.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
"Sources"

How about we all don't over-react until matters are further clarified?
I agree - anything can happen between now and release.

The word "sources" must be used in this case though, since DF's contacts need anonymity to hold their jobs down. It can be a very secretive business.

Momentary

Banned
I don't get how this is possible, let alone tolerable. Consoles OS should be closer to smartphones and tablets rather than PC, how in God's name does that stuff take three and a half gigabytes worth of memory at any given time? To do that on PC you need to do something big on Photoshop, have who knows how many heavily flash-based tabs open in your browser and game at Full HD, all at the same time.

I guess they are reserving it for video capture.

These consoles would have been awesome back in 2010 or 11. At least using last gen tech helped make these new consoles affordable for people without Sony and MS having to sell them at a loss or much of a loss.

NotLiquid

I never expected any developer worth their salt to push the 8GB to it's limits honestly, it always struck me as overkill. The games already look pretty good and 4.5 is a ton of leeway compared to last gen which already gave us games like TLoU. Can't say this news means much to me if it's true and I think PS4 has better issues than RAM to concern itself about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom