• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feb CoroCoro=Zelda FS and Sheik confirmed, Snake and Sonic hidden characters

Innotech said:
so now Gaf has moved on from "Im not buying it because it doesnt have x,y,z" to "Im not buying it because it takes EFFORT to unlock x,y,z"
Alot of people are confusing me with this logic too lately. I guess they just don't understand the awesomeness that is Brawl.

justchris

Mar_ said:
Damn, that means my two reasons for buying this game are dashed. Unless Sonic is really easy to unlock. What's usually required to unlock a character in the Smash games?

Go through The Subspace Emissary, which is an adventure game built into Brawl. Usually doing that, or playing through the Classic mode will unlock characters. Some characters are harder to unlock than others, requiring event battles, but every single character can be unlocked if you play enough multiplayer matches. It just takes a ridiculous number of them for the super secret characters. Sonic probably won't be that hard to unlock.

TheKingsCrown said:
I was hoping she would transform into the twilight princess. :(

Sorry, they don't seem to want to add any new female characters to the game. They haven't announced any yet, andway, and 11 new characters have been announced. No, Zero Suit Samus doesn't count, she's not really a new character...

As for unlockables, a lot of the characters are going to be unlockable. That's always how it's been in the series...

MisterHero

You know what? They should just give Zelda a sword-fighting style.

Sheik wasn't in TP, but Zelda almost fought Zant with a sword.

Maybe a more 'good/angelic' version of Puppet Zelda.

Innotech said:
so now Gaf has moved on from "Im not buying it because it doesnt have x,y,z" to "Im not buying it because it takes EFFORT to unlock x,y,z"
a lot of people on GAF complain about unlocking things in party games

Mar

Burli said:
What the fuck ARE you?

:lol

I just have strange tastes in games, and different priorities. For instance I love atmosphere and character design above all else in games. The only reason I was interested in this Smash was because of Sonic and ZSS.

My weird likes and dislikes don't matter in the least when it comes to someone elses enjoyment. So don't take any of my comments to heart.

Gigglepoo

FightyF said:
Am I the only Sonic fan...

Yes

Quick question: someone on GAF mentioned Olimar the other day. Is he in Brawl? That would be pretty sweet. Pikmin and Wart (SMB2) were my two most wanted Nintendo characters.

Gigglepoo said:
Yes

Quick question: someone on GAF mentioned Olimar the other day. Is he in Brawl? That would be pretty sweet. Pikmin and Wart (SMB2) were my two most wanted Nintendo characters.

pikmin.jpg

pikmin_080109d-l.jpg

CoroCoro also confirmed the missing special moves for Ivysaur and Squirtle (probably Charizard too but the info hasn't been leaked yet).

http://www.brawlcentral.com/

Ivysaur's side special move --> Razor Leaf
Squirtle's standard special move ---> Water Gun

Expected as much.

I don't get all these questions.

Are people not staying up until midnight (PST) every weeknight to see the Dojo updates as they arrive?

I am incensed.

Innotech

Banned
DeceitDecide said:
I don't get all these questions.

Are people not staying up until midnight (PST) every weeknight to see the Dojo updates as they arrive?

I am incensed.

I have work at 6 am in the morning. I cant always stay up past 1-2 am to see every update. SOmetimes I take a nap after work so Im ok with it but not always.

Holy Order Sol said:
Unless you can tell me how I can play as ZSS in Smash 64 and Melee, it's a new character.

But Samus always looks like that, just with power armor over it... :) Either way though, if the only way you can play as her is by playing as Samus and losing the suit ZSS isn't really a full character but is just an alternate mode Zelda/Sheik style, but perhaps harder to access...

I guess with the way that Dr. Mario is a "new character" (SSB sure loved its clones...) and stuff like that ZSS is "new", but is a pretty minimal kind of "new", that's for sure. It's just another version of Samus, not a truly new character... what about Mickaiah or Lyn :)() or
Midna
or something? Eh, I'm sure there'll be more characters, we'll see.

(Oh yes, and I'm pretty sure that Sheik was confirmed a long time ago, we just haven't seen anything of Sheik yet.)

Here's hoping that Zero Suit Samus will be selectable off the menu from Samus' selection icon, and that her Final Smash will equip her with her suit.

Mar_ said:
You have to unlock Sonic? Eh, maybe I'll give this game a miss after all.

Lol you must be trying hard to say something negative about this game..

give it a miss because you'll actually have to play it?? wtf is that.. unlocking characters in smash are easy.. sonic won't be hard to unlock.

Mar_ said:
You have to unlock Sonic? Eh, maybe I'll give this game a miss after all.

Sounds like one of those bad game reviews

While Smash Bros. Brawl has an amazing character list and a jaw dropping number of items, the fact that you can't play them from the start really detracts from the game's playability

Jammy

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
But Samus always looks like that, just with power armor over it... :) Either way though, if the only way you can play as her is by playing as Samus and losing the suit ZSS isn't really a full character but is just an alternate mode Zelda/Sheik style, but perhaps harder to access...

I guess with the way that Dr. Mario is a "new character" (SSB sure loved its clones...) and stuff like that ZSS is "new", but is a pretty minimal kind of "new", that's for sure. It's just another version of Samus, not a truly new character... what about Mickaiah or Lyn :)() or
Midna

(Oh yes, and I'm pretty sure that Sheik was confirmed a long time ago, we just haven't seen anything of Sheik yet.)

Yeah, but Zero Suit Samus isn't a clone of Samus at all. Everybody's like 95% sure she'll get her own Final Smash, not to mention that she plays and controls completely different from Samus. This is nothing like a Dr. Mario to Mario scenario.

Jammy said:
Everybody's like 95% sure she'll get her own Final Smash

Her final smash is turning back into samus
34.gif

edit: and just for input I think zero suit samus and samus are the same character, just like i think shiek/zelda is the same character.

TreIII

layzie1989 said:
edit: and just for input I think zero suit samus and samus are the same character, just like i think shiek/zelda is the same character.

Most people see them as two different characters. If it was just a "fighting stance" change (a la a number of other fighting games) then maybe you would have a point.

But the bottomline is:

The two characters each have their own sets of moves, move properties, abilities, attributes...the whole nine yards. You really can't put them into the same boat as something like, how Gen (Street Fighter Alpha 2, 3) could change between two fighting styles by pressing either all the punch buttons or all the kick buttons. He may get different moves, but he's still the same character sprite, with all the basic frame properties remaining the same.

miyuru

Innotech said:
I have work at 6 am in the morning. I cant always stay up past 1-2 am to see every update. SOmetimes I take a nap after work so Im ok with it but not always.

Just check it when you're free. It's not like the site updates whenever and then goes offline until the next update :lol

Innotech

Banned
miyuru said:
Just check it when you're free. It's not like the site updates whenever and then goes offline until the next update :lol
blocked at work. I usually check when I get home in the afternoon.

Innotech

Banned
layzie1989 said:
Sounds like one of those bad game reviews

While Smash Bros. Brawl has an amazing character list and a jaw dropping number of items, the fact that you can't play them from the start really detracts from the game's playability
So is Gaf being hypocritical now? Complaining about having to unlock characters isnt exactly in the spirit of hardcore gamers is it? Sounds like...a CASUAL GAMER IDEA.:lol

Mar_ said:
Damn, that means my two reasons for buying this game are dashed. Unless Sonic is really easy to unlock. What's usually required to unlock a character in the Smash games?

Anybody with that attitude wouldn't be able to win a match with Sonic even if he was playable from the start. He's not beginner friendly. So be thankful you're not buying the game now instead of buying it and finding out later you can't handle the speed.

Gigglepoo

sp0rsk said:
Unlocking shit is part of the fun of Smash Brothers.

It's probably my favorite aspect. I'm more exciting about unlocking characters and playing the adventure mode than traditional Brawling.

Innotech said:
So is Gaf being hypocritical now? Complaining about having to unlock characters isnt exactly in the spirit of hardcore gamers is it? Sounds like...a CASUAL GAMER IDEA.:lol
many hardcore gamers see unlocking characters in fighting games (most notably tekken games) as a chore and pretty much immediately set the game to 1 round, lowest life, lowest time, and then blow thru unlocking the characters as quickly as possible so they can get to the real game asap.

Firestorm

A Black Falcon said:

Midna

Are you getting this game to play it or to fap over Nintendo characters?
ZSS plays completely different from Samus and is therefore a new character. Just like Young Link played completely different from Link and was therefore a new character. It doesn't matter if they're the same person as long as they offer a different gameplay experience.

Yeah, for those that don't know...

This is a thread about Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Also, to unlock characters, it's normally easy, not a chore, and fun. If you don't know how to unlock a specific character, the manner in which you must do it will be on the internet within a matter of minutes, hours, or days, depending on how crazy we are.

Seriously, Mar_, if your concern is "will it take a long time to unlock these guys?" then don't worry too much about it. As you play, you'll probably find yourself liking some characters you never thought you would.

Top Bottom