• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Feeling of Disappointment on the launch consoles

Let's be dissapointed once we try them. For now you can feel unexcited all you want, as do I.

But it doesn't really look dissapointing as a generation, it just looks that It WILL BE dissapointing as a launch.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
So basically the same as every other start of a generation

Not every generation...

gc_dark_summit_p_8dy77i.jpg

Let's break this down one by one on how this is ridiculous. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion but it is still ridiculous.

I think this console launch is very disappointing.

Specially as is the way that Sony barely showed the price of the console

I'm not even sure what this means. Like, they just quickly flashed the price and hid it behind their backs? The price is there. What more do you want?

Honestly Dualsense is not a big deal.

It is an iterative advancement of an already fantastic controller. Built in mic, better speaker, adaptive triggers, haptic feedback. What more do you want?

The high price of the games and their poor quality.

Yesh the price is disappointing but anyone out there with any sort of realistic expectations wouldve known this was going to happen sooner or later. Gsme prices have remained stagnant for many many years while development costs have gone up. This really shouldn't be surprising. As for the poor quality, haha what? How could you possibly even be able to judge such a thing?

Many conditions to be able to play freely

What does this even mean?

Low size of hard disk to install games.

I dunno, I guess this is subjective? There is more than enough room for multiple games to be installed, do you need your whole library installed at any given time? What more do you want?

Releases games that are not of quality, except Demon souls and Horizon.

Again, based on what? And if anything for all we know Bluepoint completely botched the remake of Demon Souls. There just isn't really any way to gauge the quality here.

There is no justification for it being the beginning of a generation.

What arbitrary metrics are basing this statement on? Some would argue we are past due for a new generation.

More, more, more subscriptions.

Am i missing something here? What are all these subscriptions you are talking about that weren't already available for years by this point?

No compatibility with ps2 or ps3 minimum.

Ok you may be bummed out by that for whatever reason but what makes you think there is any obligation to provide that? The logistics behind providing and maintaining something of that sort for what amount to a tiny fraction of the total players just doesn't make sense.

The new games, instead of being complete, seem more expansions .... I call you Spiderman Miles Morales.

Amazing that even though they managed to have another Spiderman game out for launch people will still find a way to bitch about it. They had less than half the time to put this out for launch, you expected a full bore sequel? There are many full on next gen games releasing at or near launch. This sounds disingenuous.

The excitement of being able to play them is very low. There is no special feeling like on ps2, gamecube or xbox

Those consoles released almost two decades ago. As you've grown up surely your definition of excitement and "special feeling" has changed?

I pray very much that this generation is not as horrible as it was xbox 360, ps3 and nintendo wii

And the coup de grace here. I mean, how could anyone say that generation was horrible. It is just patently false. The Mario Galaxy series, GTAIV, GTAV, Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption, the Gears series, Bioshock, God of War III, The Last of Us, the Uncharted series, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Skyrim, Fable, Moder Warfare. I could go on and on. It is ludicrous to label that generation as "horrible" when so many incredible games were released.

I mean shit, there is over 1,000,000 other videogames you could play until this generation is up to your insaneoy high standards I guess? Or you could just chill out and take things in stride and have a good time. Life's too short man.

DavJay

Every gen pre ps2 saw so much excitement. Now it’s just another console, whatever. It weird... maybe I’m getting older. Idk but the excitement for newer consoles never been so bland.

Neff

PlayStation hasn't had an exciting launch since PSP. Xbox hasn't had an exciting launch since 360.

Wait a year, then we'll all want these consoles.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think this console launch is very disappointing.

Specially as is the way that Sony barely showed the price of the console.

Honestly Dualsense is not a big deal.

The high price of the games and their poor quality.

Many conditions to be able to play freely

Low size of hard disk to install games.

Releases games that are not of quality, except Demon souls and Horizon.

There is no justification for it being the beginning of a generation.

More, more, more subscriptions.

No compatibility with ps2 or ps3 minimum.

The new games, instead of being complete, seem more expansions .... I call you Spiderman Miles Morales.

The excitement of being able to play them is very low. There is no special feeling like on ps2, gamecube or xbox

I pray very much that this generation is not as horrible as it was xbox 360, ps3 and nintendo wii

They showed the price. You don't need it on the screen for 5 hours. It just needs to be stated and that news gets out. Screenshots get out. They upload it to their own freakin' site immediately afterwards.

Dualsense is as much of a gimmick as any previous controller. We saw the same "this will change everything!" with previous console generations. The NES D-Pad, the Analog Sticks, the Rumble on the N64, Six-Axis/motion controls, etc. No one outside of ardent fanboys genuinely thinks this is a huge deal.

The prices are only 10 dollars more. If you don't like that, you can wait as you always have been able to. Unless you have a timemachine and have played every launch game, don't make asinine comments like the games are "poor" quality. Goes for any console launch.

What conditions are there to be able to play "freely"?

Space has always been an issue since the advent of memory cards. This is not new to this generation.

Horizon isn't a launch game. You have no clue on what is or is not quality as none have been released yet.

There is very little reason for anyone to buy a launch console. It has always been a better bet to wait a year or two out when games have released for the system. Early Adopters have always had the same issues every generation.

There isn't any more subscriptions. Just new additions to an ongoing subscription that you can opt out of.

There wasn't any back compat on PS4 and it wasn't an issue. It isn't now. If you want to play those games, go buy those consoles. Hundreds of Thousands of units still in perfect working condition for cheap prices. The games? Not so much, depending on what you are looking for. Especially for some of the PS2 RPG and Horror titles. While it would be nice to have Back Compat, there is no system on the market currently that has complete backwards compat with their previous generation libraries. Xbox Series X only has full back compat with the Xbox One with numerous 360 and OG Xbox titles unplayable (unless this changed).

Name one other title that is an "expansion" besides Miles Morales? We were notified very early on that that title was going to be a smaller release to tide folks over for a fully fledged Spider-man 2 in a few years. Demon Souls, Little Big Planet, etc - all are full fledged releases.

That is an entirely subjective thing, many folks are beyond excited to play the new games releasing on the new platform. If you aren't, then don't?

The 7th Generation was fantastic with a ton of amazing titles, a great number of which are still considered some of the best ever released (Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Halo 3, Uncharted 2, etc).

Not even sure what the point of this thread is. Seems very much like console warring bait. Do better.

kunonabi

I have no interest in either console after all the shit Sony has been pulling these last few years and how Microsoft let that godawful Battletoads game get made. Neither company is really making software I have any interest in purchasing. If I had 500$ to blow this year I'd much rather spend it on the X-Men vs Street Fighter cab from Arcade 1up to be honest.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Same here OP. For the first time in my gaming life, I have no excitement whatsoever about Next Gen.

My main problem is the lack of Next Gen games. There is NOT a single game that screams Next Gen at launch. In 2013, we had Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse, those 2 games were so amazing visually that they still look great today !

Yes some games looks good like Miles Morales or Demom Souls. They have nice Next Effects, especially in the lightening, but they don't scream Next Gen. Actually most of the games, you don't even know they are Next Gen, you need to see the logo at the end of the trailer.

For instance Final Fantasy XVI is so disappointing visually. Usually, FF games set the standard for the graphics. The game looks current gen.

Last edited:
Admittedly, it’s not the best launch and handling of a new console by any stretch of the imagination, but unfortunately most new console generations imo do start out rather lackluster. I remember the N64’s terrible launch for example. 2 games for launch and literally nothing for the first 6 months is inexcusable.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

It’s been pretty underwhelming thus far, but once some good games begin to flow that’ll change. Some of the stuff like the high(er) cost of entry and the large game installs are going to be long term issues.

OuterLimits

I'm more disappointed by the price increase on games than the new consoles themselves. It would be one thing if we didn't live in a microtransaction hellscape already with most AAA games, but unfortunately that will just get worse along with the higher price.

I will be much more selective about what I buy, and likely wait for huge sales. Or perhaps I will consider Xbox this gen for Game pass instead of Sony.(usually PlayStation is my secondary console to Nintendo)

Last edited:

The Shepard

We would be seeing a completely different thread and title if gravity rush 3 was announced, wouldn't we?

The only thing I'm disappointed in really is the game price increase like alot of people. I'm excited for alot of games, more than the early ps4 days and that ended up being one of the best consoles ever.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
We would be seeing a completely different thread and title if gravity rush 3 was announced, wouldn't we?

The only thing I'm disappointed in really is the game price increase like alot of people. I'm excited for alot of games, more than the early ps4 days and that ended up being one of the best consoles ever.
If sony give me Gravity rush 3... i will get 3 ps5 and 5 copies of Gravity rush 3

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can kinda see where the OP is coming from, I must admit I'm getting the impression Developers wasn't ready for Next-Gen

Mossybrew

There is one simple real reason for the disappointment - there are no launch games that look truly new and next generation and scream "damn I need to play that!"

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There is one simple real reason for the disappointment - there are no launch games that look truly new and next generation and scream "damn I need to play that!"
This. Xbox has no games and the best PS5 launch title is a remaster.

I'm not trying to flame here, as I'm sure both consoles will end up having cool as fuck exclusives but man... This new gen launch totally sucks.

Sony Japan, barring Astro Bot, has had an abysmal output. A lot of Sony fans who like that Japanesse style type content are thirsty and becoming increasingly angry. Where the hell is the RaySpace JRPG?

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Not sure about MS but I don't remember the ps3 launch lineup being anything spectacular.

Looking back ps4 wasn't amazing either.

Still tons of great games to play on ps4. Give it a year or two for next gen to get going.

mekes

I can’t believe it but I may wait. A few months back I had posted on the boards that price wasn’t an issue. At that time the boards were buzzing with talks of free update patches for games, Silent Hill reboots, there was talk of things I was looking forward to. But now, I have a pre-order booked in and I may cancel it.

I never completed SpiderMan on the PS4. I thought it was decent but not great. I love Demon Souls but it is a remake. And I’m not aware of anything else I’d like to own that is releasing at launch.

My time with the PS4 has left me with a large number of games owned that I have never even tried. I have a 2tb HDD filled up with games I thought to buy but have never even booted up. I had the same thing with ps3/2/1 and various Nintendo consoles too. History so far has been that I move on once a new generation starts, but when you can see the process before it actually even plays out, I’m not sure I want to take that jump just to play Demon Souls with haptic feedback at launch. And I tend to buy games that I wouldn’t normally consider buying if I’m an early adopter of a new console.

So, currently thinking to wait for the black console and buy it shortly in to the gen with 5-6 games I might really enjoy.

🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom