• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Game Dev Harrassed by IndieStatik founder Josh Mattingly Speaks Up (Kotaku)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

You'll find that men (and women) engage in sexual harassment and blunt sexual propositions in all industries.

I'll happily acknowledge that the games industry skews male and has its fair share of socially awkward people, but this example is not typical enough nor limited to the games industry for you to be making such broad generalizations.

The game industry seems to have more of the awkward types, and less women and other minorities in general. The only situation I can see being worst is an occupation where a group of guys are stuck together for months at a time without having contact with people period so you end up with a "what happens on the trip stays there," situation with guys hooking up with each other to combat loneliness.

The game industry seems to have more of the awkward types, and less women and other minorities in general. The only situation I can see being worst is an occupation where a group of guys are stuck together for months at a time without having contact with people period so you end up with a "what happens on the trip stays there," situation with guys hooking up with each other to combat loneliness.

wat

besada

Banned
Why do I even bother to ninja edit, anyway I did read the article linked and I definitely understand her state of mind but I still can't take this kind of one sided story at face value.

It's not particularly one sided, considering Josh Mattingly has already apologized for it publicly. What other side are you looking for?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Or "I have depression, drink and make poor decisions in the course of executing my life function." We may not agree with his reasons, but lets stop wracking our brains as if it's not possible.

Is this meant for the dream log OT?

JDSN

Banned
Oh God. I was aware of Jaffe's stance on this issue, but was unaware of that particular comment. By not telling him to fuck off she was signalling that it was okay?! Come on, man. Jesus, why does anyone think it's okay to talk to someone like this unless they specifically say it's not wanted?

Yeah, I was kinda realizing that his stance was misguided and naive but that comment about the signal raised it to straight up callousness and apathy. This one is good too.

Why do I even bother to ninja edit, anyway I did read the article linked and I definitely understand her state of mind but I still can't take this kind of one sided story at face value.

There is a screencap of the conversation with timelogs, pictures of the guy attached to the convo, an apology from the guy, his co-workers saying he will step down, the victim contextualizing the abuse, what piece of evidence is missing so this story is worthy of being called "unbiased" to you?

Benutzer

She addresses this in the new article. She was dumbfounded and continued to answer his original query hoping he would just drop it. She was also struggling as to whether or not her outright rebuffing would burn a bridge with a potential press contact.

I think ignoring him until he stops would probably burn a bridge too. I would have laughed so hard if I was her (I think... I'm not a women soooo idk). But yeah, telling him to fuck off would have damaged her career. So she made the best of her situation :) nice work! I would have gone even further and go public with my name and everything to drum up PR.

Pau

I'm glad she decided to talk about what went through her head during the conversation. Maybe some folks will listen to her and learn something about how careful we have to be in such situations.

Or "I have depression, drink and make poor decisions in the course of executing my life function." We may not agree with his reasons, but lets stop wracking our brains as if it's not possible.

May i ask, why are you so invested in making his actions okay, that you will attempt to make her actions NOT okay?

charsace

what the fuck does that have to do with anything

Just pointing out how backed up men in the game industry have been coming off recently. Every woman in the industry seems to have a stories (not just one nope) where something profoundly awkward and stupid happens because someone caught a whiff of them and got a half chub in their pants.

Is it story time, charsace?

Not today or at least not in such a public forum.

Yeah, I was kinda realizing that his stance was misguided and naive but that comment about the signal raised it to straight up callousness and apathy. This one is good too.

It's obvious he's just sorry he got caught. It would be nice if she had an older brother or something that decided to take things into his own hands and teach the perv a lesson

It's obvious he's just sorry he got caught. It would be nice if she had an older brother or something that decided to take things into his own hands and teach the perv a lesson

Yes, because putting him in a headlock and giving him a noogie until mom breaks it up will teach him to not treat women inappropriately....

Mesoian

Oh man, are we going to get into game reviewer shipping now? It's this how far we've gotten?

Yes, because putting him in a headlock and giving him a noogie until mom breaks it up will teach him to not treat women inappropriately....

Yeah I was thinking of something a bit more severe. If someone tried that to my sister I would definitely put the fear of god into the sucker.

MYeager

Trust me when I say it does happen. When you take a group of men, cut them off from people and women, some of them are gonna fuck and hold each other.

Honestly I think this is the best response to Mario brushing this story off as not indicative of systematic problems within the video game industry just because sexual harassment exists in other business industries.

Of course it exists in other industries, because like charsace mentioned, if it didn't men would just fuck and hold each other.

Pau

Nah, I wouldn't want people being scared of doing such things just because a man is going to physically punish them for making the mistake of choosing a victim who was protected by a brother, boyfriend, father, male figure.

Mesoian

Nah, I wouldn't want people being scared of doing such things just because a man is going to physically punish them for making the mistake of choosing a victim who was protected by a brother, boyfriend, father, male figure.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but...why not?

Isn't that the full crux of our judicial system?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
May i ask, why are you so invested in making his actions okay, that you will attempt to make her actions NOT okay?

What a ridiculous interpretation of my comment. The previous poster made a snarky comment as if people going through difficult time and experiencing emotional distress aren't prompted to make poor decisions they wouldn't otherwise make. Nothing in that says anything about the appropriateness of EITHER parties behavior.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Because then they'll just go after women who don't have boyfriends, brothers or male figures to "protect" them... it's a bad incentive. Much like, you teach kids to do the right thing for moral reasons, not because "you'll be spanked if you don't".

Joke post? Joke post.

There is a screencap of the conversation with timelogs, pictures of the guy attached to the convo, an apology from the guy, his co-workers saying he will step down, the victim contextualizing the abuse, what piece of evidence is missing so this story is worthy of being called "unbiased" to you?

I'm not questionin the existence of a conversation that obviously happened nor am I defending a guy whose comments I find disgusting am just saying I wish we had more information to show this is an on going behavior. Now people are already blaming me of defending a guy who's behavior I find appalling so I'm out.

charsace

I just went on a tangent I admit. In all seriousness the game industry is a bad place because it lacks diversity and the guys that are drawn to it seem to lean towards the more awkward types.

Even still, all joking aside, physical violence is rarely ever an effective solution to this sort of behavior.

Some family members can't help but not let stuff like this slide. Threaten him in just the right way and I'm sure he'd have changed his tune pretty quickly...

Mesoian

Because then they'll just go after women who don't have boyfriends, brothers or male figures to "protect" them... it's a bad incentive. Much like, you teach kids to do the right thing for moral reasons, not because "you'll be spanked if you don't".
I see, I guess I was reading that wrong. But...

Joke post? Joke post.

I mean, no. Setting behavioral triggers and how they're shaped aside, the idea the authorities catching or stopping you should be enough incentive to not commit a crime, much in the same way that messing with a girl who has a burly older brother should be enough incentive to not mess around with a girl's feelings. Sure, it would be great if everyone simply operated on the moral implications of their actions, but they don't. There are bad people out there and the idea of repercussions should be enough to deter them from committing a crime against someone.

But that's not the way it is either, for a bevy of reasons.

AngryJoe x Yahtzee OTP.

It's only a matter of time before Jim Sterling ends up as someone's Waifu.

Pau

Because what people learn then isn't that what they're doing is wrong, but that they should target women who aren't connected to some male protective force. We should be teaching people to not act this way because of human dignity. Not because women "belong" in some way to a dude who's going to beat them up for it.

The judicial system doesn't work that way, last time I checked.

But what do I know? I don't have a brother, boyfriend, or father anywhere near me so no guy is going to to think twice about doing shitty things to me because he's afraid of them. I'd rather he stay away because he thinks of me as a person deserving of respect.

What's so funny?

Some family members can't help but not let stuff like this slide. Threaten him in just the right way and I'm sure he'd have changed his tune pretty quickly...

Dude, no, just no. Behavior like this in adults is usually very ingrained and stemming from other psychological issues.

It's not as simple as saying he is just a horny perv that needs his ass kicked for him to straighten up and fly right. It really sells the issue at hand short.

Would you do the same for your brother if he was the target of unwanted sexual advances of an unattractive woman?

What does that have to do with anything? It's different for a woman as it is for a man. These things lead to more serious things for women down the road. And in all honesty if someone was harassing my brothers like this I'm sure my sis would more then put that woman in check...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom