• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizenmx

Banned
Why the hell would I pm you? How am I obsessed? Because I quoted and called out a pretty idiotic statement? Thats what happens on message boards. Either own up to it or don't.
Give it up. I know what I said. Your constant reminder doesn't change jack. And your constant posts regarding my statement about weeaboo is driving multiple posts to off topic.

Like I said, carry it over pm if you are going to constantly bark at me over that issue.

Do you honestly believe the filth you've just dripped onto your keyboard?
My belief has nothing to do with this topic.

Drop it.

Give it up.
Give what up? You decided to cry that people were making generilizations about indie games and then you think it's ok to do the same?

I know what I said. Your constant reminder doesn't change jack.
Well see the thing is, you could easily clarified what you said, but instead you decided to just basically make a bigger mess. I mean maybe you didn't make one in that first post, but then you did in the next. I'm also unsure what the fuck I'm trying to change here.

And your constant posts regarding my statement about weeaboo is driving multiple posts to off topic.
Constant being like 3.

Like I said, carry it over pm if you are going to constantly bark at me over that issue.
Bark wtf?

This isn't the"Gaming Confessions thread". I don't care if that's your belief(it is kind of ironic)No one's is going to take your point seriously when you decide to just contradict in the next moment. I just find it funny that you were complaining and then well you did what you were complaining about.

But I would like to know how it it is apparently a fact that 99% of I guess Japanese game fans are weeaboos and just fanboys.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Give it up. I know what I said. Your constant reminder doesn't change jack. And your constant posts regarding my statement about weeaboo is driving multiple posts to off topic.

Drop it.

Damn I hate people like you.

What do you think forums are for? Discussion. Don't say some bullshit and then try to run away from it by telling people to enter a private discussion with you or drop it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole

Drop it.
Hey guys, I've got a great idea, let's not drop it.

What a dick. There's really no excuse for that in a public and professional setting.

That's leaving aside the level of ignorance in his dismissal of an entire industry's output.

colinp

Banned
Art, by it's very nature, is a reflection of the artist who created it. If I don't like the artist, why would I pay money for a reflection of them?

The best art transcends an artist and their ideology and shows the universe inside of them, not just what you fixate on that makes you uncomfortable. Think Wagner and Knut Hamsun.

Vinci

Danish
So all it takes is an ignorant and massive generalization from an arrogant asshole to get a thread over a dozen pages? Seriously, people. He's a dick. He said something substantially idiotic and wrong. Move on.

Guri

Guys, I was there, and, as much as I don't like to tell public bad opinions, it was not exactly like that.

He said: "They suck. Well, I'm sorry, but the interface is outdated...", something like that, I don't remember exactly. Then, Jon Blow agreed, in a more serious way. If it was me, I would have said something different, but at least he said why he thinks they suck. So, please, let's move on.

About the movie: Excellent, everybody should see it!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So all it takes is an ignorant and massive generalization from an arrogant asshole to get a thread over a dozen pages? Seriously, people. He's a dick. He said something substantially idiotic and wrong. Move on.

Why do you think it's not worthy of discussion and calling out?

You've got to consider the context of the venue in which this statement was made.

It's the Game Developer's Conference. A conference where game developers gather to discuss game development with their peers. This guy is a game developer, who publicly said that games developed in Japan suck. He publicly insulted anyone who develops games in Japan. He was then cheered for this by some (and I hope booed at by others).

That kind of stuff really shouldn't be acceptable at the GDC.

Guys, I was there, and, as much as I don't like to tell public bad opinions like that, it was not exactly like that.

He said: "They suck. Well, I'm sorry, but the interface is outdated...", something like that, I don't remember exactly. The, Jon Blow agreed, in a more serious way. If it was me, I would have said something different, but at least he said why he thinks they suck. So, please, let's move on.

About the movie: Excellent, everybody should see it!

Oh the interface of Japanese games is outdated? I didn't realize they all shared an interface.

Also, what is with the supporters of this guy wanting to drop the topic and shove this thing under a rug?

kaizenmx

Banned
But I would like to know how it it is apparently a fact that 99% of I guess Japanese game fans are weeaboos and just fanboys.
You don't need to know anything. I did my own research that happens to be true. Now drop it. No I won't apologize for what I said if this is what you are hoping.

Anyway, Phil Fish shouldn't be ostracized for saying whatever it was on his mind and that happens to be true.

And people who were at the conference already claims that was not exactly what he said.

Vinci

Danish
Why do you think it's not worthy of discussion and calling out?

You've got to consider the context of the venue in which this statement was made.

It's the Game Developer's Conference. A conference where game developers gather to discuss game development with their peers. This guy is a game developer, who publicly said that games developed in Japan suck. He publicly insulted anyone who develops games in Japan. He was then cheered for this by some (and I hope booed at by others).

That kind of stuff really shouldn't be acceptable at the GDC.

And I'm expecting him to catch a little bit of hell from the conference organizers and other developers for his lack of professionalism. But this thread has become some sort of anti-Japanese gaming / anti-Indie gaming mutation that is bringing out the worst in people with obvious bias either way.

I guess saying that people shouldn't continue talking about is too strong, but we're over a dozen pages now... and it seems kind of ridiculous when there are good games that deserve support which don't get threads this long.

FWIW: I'm not a supporter of his. I think his comment was horribly narrow-minded and unprofessional.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Anyway, Phil Fish shouldn't be ostracized for saying whatever it was on his mind and that happens to be true.

And people who were at the conference already claims that was not exactly what he said.

Look, there's a report on a site that's not being denounced by anyone involved (not even on Twitter). It's generating a lot of heat. People who were at the place at that time are reporting being shocked by Phil Fish's outrageous manner, and are referencing said quote. This is actually going on.

Guri

Oh the interface of Japanese games is outdated? I didn't realize they all shared an interface.

Also, what is with the supporters of this guy wanting to drop the topic and shove this thing under a rug?

I'm not agreeing with him just because I said that. In fact, I still defend many japanese games. I'm just saying they took it out of context.

You don't need to know anything. I did my own research that happens to be true. Now drop it. No I won't apologize for what I said if this is what you are hoping.

What the fuck?

You say that 99% of I'm not quite sure are so in so, then you say you have done research(this is is getting lawl worthy) and have proof that makes it true. Oh and you don't want to share that your proof that states that 99% of blank are weeaboos and fanboys?

No, I don't want you to apologize, I want to know if this is a joke or not.

You have to be a troll. I can't believe any of these posts I've read from you. I will drop it, because I'm not even sure if this is real.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So it would've been ok if he said that on event like at E3 or PAX instead?

No, still looked down on definitely. This is moreso amplified by the fact that he said so while a Japanese developer was on stage with them, who didn't deserve to be indirectly insulted in front of everyone that way.

Basically, it's like saying "Dude, everything you and your country does fucking sucks these days man, like, what the fuck?" No, that's not remotely what he actually said, but being isolated in front of one's professional peers like that, for no adequate or deserving reason deserves to be called out as extremely unprofessional.

IrishNinja

He said: "They suck. Well, I'm sorry, but the interface is outdated...", something like that, I don't remember exactly. Then, Jon Blow agreed, in a more serious way. If it was me, I would have said something different, but at least he said why he thinks they suck.

i mean...that's at least a little less ignorant? barely that, even - what does "the inferface is outdated" even mean? unless he named a specific game, it's still a vague shot at an entire region's creative output, the bulk of which his game owes a great deal to.

You don't need to know anything. I did my own research that happens to be true.

1j46ec.gif

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm not agreeing with him just because I said that. In fact, I still defend many japanese games. I'm just saying they took it out of context.

It doesn't look like that at all. You're pretty much the first seemingly reliable source (taking your word for it) that tries to embed Fish's outburst into some sort of context that weakens its punch. You need to be more specific, really.

Well, about fucking time?

The last 5 posts from you has been nothing but bawwing regarding my posts.

I don't care what you think, now that you can drop this stupid argument, let's get back on topic.
Hey it's not my fault you chose to run away from your points that you know you can't back up. Don't refer to my posts as bawwing (whatever the fuck that is). You made a dumb comment. Deal with it.

Oh but wait, you have secret research that makes it true.

Edit-I'm sorry, I know I'm dragging this out. I do that. I'm really just kind of confused.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Mind showing us your research.....? No? Lol...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Doubling down, I see. Jesus christ...

Arsenic

I do recall you calling someone ignorant for not believing your bullshit fact that you "researched". Get the fuck out of here. You're covering your tracks for what? You called someone out for not knowing something, so please, fucking enlighten us here so we may no longer be ignorant.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I don't care what you think, now that you can drop this stupid argument, let's get back on topic.

If you're gonna make a stupid and ignorant post like the one you made above (about 99% of Japanese game fans being weeaboos or whatever), you deserve to be called out on it as much as possible. Not nearly as bad as the other day seeing the people calling all Japanese RPG fans or Pokemon fans as pedos or whatnot, but still a pretty dumb thing to say.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kaizemx is probably Phil Fish.

Negator

What the hell is this? LOL

angelfly

I'm finding it hilarious that instead of admitting he was wrong he sticks to it and claims to have research to back up his 99% figure.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
A lot of people dislike Jonathan Blow, but he's never said anything downright ignorant like this.

And I just don't understand why you guys won't play the game because of this. That doesn't make it not a good game, and his comment wasn't racist, it was just rudely delivered and rather unnecessary. Honestly I wish we could hear the whole conversation to see how this went down. Sometimes context is necessary.

What's there to understand? Again, we're not hating on the game, we just don't want to support with our money someone who behaves so poorly and douchey. That's it, it has nothing to do with the game, just that I don't want to support Fish's endevours anymore.

Guri

i mean...that's at least a little less ignorant? barely that, even - what does "the inferface is outdated" even mean? unless he named a specific game, it's still a vague shot at an entire region's creative output, the bulk of which his game owes a great deal to.

Yeah, he didn't talk about any specific game. I just remembered. He said that he would like to skip the first 45 minutes of every new Zelda game.

It doesn't look like that at all. You're pretty much the first seemingly reliable source (taking your word for it) that tries to embed Fish's outburst into some sort of context that weakens its punch. You need to be more specific, really.

I'm sorry about that. It's just that I, as a developer, don't like to say bad things about other games or developers in public. My post got a little confusing maybe because of that. Also, english is not my native language.

But I hope things got cleared now.

Cipherr

If you did not care then why did you continually tell others to drop it, when they ask you to back up your sweeping generalizations?

By the way I'm interested in knowing more about this research of yours, did you use the website, http://bullshitipulloutofmyass.com

because I read something on there about how all western games fans are racist and bigoted douchebags, with tiny brains who use unpleasant words on xbox live. Trust me I've done "resarch."

Guri

And I just don't understand why you guys won't play the game because of this. That doesn't make it not a good game, and his comment wasn't racist, it was just rudely delivered and rather unnecessary. Honestly I wish we could hear the whole conversation to see how this went down. Sometimes context is necessary.

It went something like this:

Phil: "They suck."

Someone at the panel, I didn't see if was one of the Super Meat Boy guys or the movie makers: "Why did you say that? I mean, look at the guy's face!" (talking about who asked the question)

Phil: "Well, I'm sorry..." - and then he went to talk about his reasons, including interface, slow modern Zelda games and stuff like that.

Then, Jon Blow said "Well, I'm not a fan of japanese games either"

kaizenmx

Banned
They aren't a fan because they simply dislike today's japanese games.

Apparently, it's against a rule to hate japanese games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom