• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF:CC DS - No online support

Blablurn

Hmm square-enix go nintendo. Nintendo used those words to excuse the lack of online gaming on gamecube.

Well, I hope this time they put a story in it, if not
-1 sold units

ethelred

Blablurn said:
Hmm square-enix go nintendo. Nintendo used those words to excuse the lack of online gaming on gamecube.

Well, I hope this time they put a story in it, if not
-1 sold units

Hey, me too! Let's not read the thread or the preview upon which this thread is based! Let's keep it a surprise!

ethelred said:
There IS an excuse. The DS is technically inferior and its online capabilities suck ass.

And people that still have confidence in the prospect of online DQIX after Crystal Chronicles and Children of Mana... well...

Agreed completely.

I personally won't be surprised if and when they pull online from DQIX. It's pretty obvious the DS has piss poor online capabilities, and that has been reiforced repeatedly... first CoM and FF:CC, but also the shitty interface for other online games. Thinking back, the only games I can even consider to be of any quality online are Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, both of which could have been 10x better still. Metroid Prime Hunters was an absolute nightmare, and not because the unbalanced weapons and hunters, but because actually connecting to your friends and completing a 5-minute game took a miracle.

And although I didn't follow the development of Portrait of Ruin, the lack of an online co-op or even local co-op main quest is disturbing.

Again, this isn't even referring to Nintendo's backwards setup of friends codes, lack of online modes and options, etc. Just to the fact that connecting four people to the NWFC for online play is nye impossible.

Jenga

Banned
LittleTokyo said:
Agreed completely.

I personally won't be surprised if and when they pull online from DQIX. It's pretty obvious the DS has piss poor online capabilities, and that has been reiforced repeatedly... first CoM and FF:CC, but also the shitty interface for other online games. Thinking back, the only games I can even consider to be of any quality online are Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, both of which could have been 10x better still. Metroid Prime Hunters was an absolute nightmare, and not because the unbalanced weapons and hunters, but because actually connecting to your friends and completing a 5-minute game took a miracle.

And although I didn't follow the development of Portrait of Ruin, the lack of an online co-op or even local co-op main quest is disturbing.

Again, this isn't even referring to Nintendo's backwards setup of friends codes, lack of online modes and options, etc. Just to the fact that connecting four people to the NWFC for online play is nye impossible.
I'm pretty sure it's up to developers how they do it. As for FF:CC, it's aimed for a Japanese audience, and everyone there pretty much has a DS so I doubt it's a big issue for them. As for PoR, just blame Iga for not being creative enough.

LevelNth

Banned
Well, I was looking forward to this because SE has said they want to really improve the singleplayer experience over the GC CC, so this doesn't really change much for me. It kinda sucks that there is no WiFi, but I doubt I would've played the multi all that much anyways. How good the SP turns out will just determine whether I get it right away or wait a bit until it's cheaper.

ant1532

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
This sucks. Would never buy this offline. I hate that the online with DS is so mediocre.
yea, it would be so much better online with no voice chat. If it was online it would still suck w/o the voice chat(well I guess not as bad)

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I don't think Crystal Chronicles' multiplayer would work online as well as it would locally. Some of the game's activities flow much better when you can yell "CAST CURE, DAMMIT!" so you can add Fire and cause Holy.

Anyway, there's no pleasing some people...

While I wanted online for the title, I don't really mind that it's not. I know enough people with DS to get two or three full groups of adventurers together. If they did put online in, but didn't put voice chat, that would be pretty silly anyway.

I'm hoping the Wii version has both online and voice chat (wireless headset, Nintendo!), but again, I'm ok as long as it doesn't require 4 additional systems to play.

I do enjoy reading the opinions of the all the "Squeenix + DS = Love" haters that these threads attract. I personally can't wait for DQIX, FF:CC:ROF, FFT:A2, Heroes of Mana, Chocobo, FFXII:RW and more!

The excuse about wanting players to see each other's faces is downright absurd.

This game should have been built from the ground up to use the WIFI connection. Although we can still hope that Crystal Bearers for Wii takes the torch in hand for WIFI play, and perhaps some !connectivity! (dreaded word for some) between it and the DS version.

I haven't give up all hope for Ring of Fates, but the lack of WIFI is infuriating. Hopefully there is a solid single player experience this time around.

Pellham

Banned
No online support? Screw that, guess i will just get DQ9.

Seems stupid that they would do that without considering that in the US market, the majority of people who wil buy FF:CC will not be kids who can find other kids to play with, they will be lonely 20-30 year old single male gamers. No online play might take off in Japan but it wouldn't here.

GOD DAMN IT.

And I am sooo tired of the fools that try and justify this nonsense by saying they are putting more time into the single player. You can have both. Good devs do it all the time.

sprocket

Banned
Yes this is idiotic . If FFCC on the Wii is online I am going to throw my Wii in the trash . It is just too retardedly ignorant .

Zilch

Banned
**** you Square. There's no excuse good enough to not include wifi support.

Whoever said that idiotic "smiling faces" line should be fired, immediately.

Llyranor

Well, the more important part for me would be local coop (again assuming I need to buy two copies -_-). I already have CoM for that, though, which is very nice for that purpose. Hopefully the gameplay for FFCC would be better, though. That'd be a nice bonus. I might still get FFCC, it just depends on whether DQ9 renders it irrelevant or not, and how it interacts with FFCC Wii.

Grampasso

Well, we don't know almost anything about the game and you are crying about the fact that there will be no Wi-Fi option?
From what I've read about it, it's much more single-player focused with a feeling a lot more different than the GC one, which was a "pure" dungeon crawler. I can see no crystal field (no miasma?), and the HP/MP introduction which most probably means levelup for the characters, feature lacking in the GC one.
That's a huge of a difference in gameplay IMHO, and it could justify the lack of Wi-Fi option, especially if it's much more story-based from what I've read so far.
Still +1 sales for me :)

Zilch

Banned
Grampasso said:
Well, we don't know almost anything about the game and you are crying about the fact that there will be no Wi-Fi option?
From what I've read about it, it's much more single-player focused with a feeling a lot more different than the GC one, which was a "pure" dungeon crawler. I can see no crystal field (no miasma?), and the HP/MP introduction which most probably means levelup for the characters, feature lacking in the GC one.
That's a huge of a difference in gameplay IMHO, and it could justify the lack of Wi-Fi option, especially if it's much more story-based from what I've read so far.
Still +1 sales for me :)

If the DS was overloaded with quality multiplayer (online) RPGs maybe I wouldn't mind, but it's NOT.

Again, wtf Square.

JayDubya

Banned
Like I said, maybe if I were still in middle school going on long bus trips with my dorky buddies, this would be great. Hell, if I were in high school or back in college I could probably find people. This sucks ass though otherwise. No sale.

Smash Brothers for Wii had better have at least 2 player online, or no sale there either. I'm not in the position to go around gathering my fellow nerds from around my dorm anymore.

Jenga

Banned
sprocket said:
Yes this is idiotic . If FFCC on the Wii is online I am going to throw my Wii in the trash . It is just too retardedly ignorant .
How about you just give it to me. I could sell it on Ebay for like $500+

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
JayDubya said:
on thin ice JayDubya
(Today, 02:27 PM)
Reply | Quote

Assymcgee.JPG

Sounds like the ice's problem. :lol :lol

Vard

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but IGN's preview of the game talks about mulitplayer:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/751/751319p1.html

The only thing up in the air right now seems to be the method to be used for multiplayer play. The game's character designer, Toshiyuki Itahana, said in an interview with Famitsu, that Crystal Chronicles is meant to be played as players speak to one another in order to time their spells and movements. The game will have close proximity wireless play, but internet-based play via Wi-Fi is something that's currently being looked into. Itahana mentioned the possibility of a different type of play through Wi-Fi, with Famitsu speculating that perhaps item exchange and downloads could be what results.

Mau ®

Well that seriously makes me wonder if I'll buy the game considering I wanted it to be online.

If the Wii FFCC is not online I have no reason whatsoever to get a Wii.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Considering how FFCC played and what DQIX is doing, no wifi coop in this game is a huge missed opp, IMHO.

If communication is key, throw in voice chat.

ethelred

From Sporks' hands-on playtest of CC DS:

Ring of Fates has two main modes: Single and 4 Player Multi. However, multiplayer is limited to those in your vicinity - the game does not support Wi-Fi online play. The single player demo on display at Jump Festa just had you journeying through the first story segment and dungeon. Buckets, which played a central role in the last game, were no longer present, making what we played rather standard dungeon crawling fare. Perhaps things will change when other people join your party, we'll see. The story sequences have full voice over and the cut scenes look especially good for the DS.

The multiplayer is a bit different than it was on the Cube. Again, Square Enix took out the bucket. Some of you are no doubt cheering about this, but for many of us, the bucket was a favorite part of the first game. However, new race specific classes -- Swordsman, Magician, Gem user, and Scout - have been added. The Swordsman and the Magician are pretty self explanatory, the Gem user can use these special gem stations to make new magic orbs by using the touch screen, and the Scout is a bow and arrow shooting, double jumping, speed character. We only got to play with the scout, but from what we played, the aiming needed a bit of work (it was a bit tricky to hit the enemies on screen). The multiplayer dynamics are also a bit different this time around, as the game is not so focused on all-out teamwork. Actually, it's a bit more reminiscent of Zelda 4 Swords. For instance, at the beginning of the game, there is a race to see who can talk to the king first. Whoever wins gets to choose the quest. At the end of the quest, a chest full of items is unleashed, and again it becomes a race to see who can get all the stuff that drops.

Screw everyone saying that no online multi automatically dooms this game to suck. It's sounding pretty great -- voice acting for cutscenes, a greater emphasis on story, a fleshed out single-player mode, and classes to add greater depth to the gameplay.

Yes, it's not what I originally wanted, and I'm disappointed that it's not what I originally wanted -- a great online coop RPG. But if Square Enix can still make a great single-player RPG (and that's what this is sounding like to me), then that's fine.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'd be more pissed and disappointed if DQIX didn't (seemingly) make FFCC completely irrelevant in one fell swoop.

I'll be picking up FFCC regardless, but assuming DQIX turns out how I expect it will, I'll be able to enjoy FFCC just for its single player.

ethelred said:
From Sporks' hands-on playtest of CC DS:

Screw everyone saying that no online multi automatically dooms this game to suck. It's sounding pretty great -- voice acting for cutscenes, a greater emphasis on story, a fleshed out single-player mode, and classes to add greater depth to the gameplay.

Yes, it's not what I originally wanted, and I'm disappointed that it's not what I originally wanted -- a great online coop RPG. But if Square Enix can still make a great single-player RPG (and that's what this is sounding like to me), then that's fine.

Exactly. If there's a single-player mode worth caring about, then it's fine.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to DS online multiplayer, but uh, are there any good games that use it? It is actually used well? Is there voice chat on the DS (that wouldn't sound terrible coming from the speakers?) I personally can't imagine being in public and screaming at my DS for someone to cast spells and calling them names. Even the DQ9 thing, when they said multiplayer, I figured they meant 4 friends playing relatively close to each other in the same room. Even then, you had 4 people doing their own thing.

I'm not dissing the DS, just asking.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
LittleTokyo said:
Metroid Prime Hunters was an absolute nightmare, and not because the unbalanced weapons and hunters, but because actually connecting to your friends and completing a 5-minute game took a miracle.

Whaaa?

Metroid Prime Hunters may be the only DS game with a good online interface. Your friend list notifies you of who is online and allows you to join groups/lobbies/whatever of friends who are playing. You can chat between games (with audio chat, no less). You can add strangers to your "rival" list when playing, even without a friend code.

The only problem with MPH is that the game isn't very fun.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JayDubya said:
Like I said, maybe if I were still in middle school going on long bus trips with my dorky buddies, this would be great. Hell, if I were in high school or back in college I could probably find people. This sucks ass though otherwise. No sale.

Smash Brothers for Wii had better have at least 2 player online, or no sale there either. I'm not in the position to go around gathering my fellow nerds from around my dorm anymore.

I don't even have nerds in my dorm. Nobody will play with me. :(

Baryn

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I don't even have nerds in my dorm. Nobody will play with me. :(
QFT. If you are like most older gamers, you need online for multiplayer. End of story.

I have no friends who are hardcore, and only one who owns a DS - she received it as a gift with Mario Kart, which barely gets played.

I don't mind so much. Seems like DQ9 will have the online multiplayer locked down. FF:CC is a game I'll enjoy in the company of my little brother.

It's insane to say the DS is somehow incapable of doing online for something like FF:CC. If a system can handle fast-paced online games like Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart DS, and Tony Hawk's American Sk8land, the former two of which require FAR more time-sensitive and synchronized information transfer than a slow-paced game like an RPG, it would not have any technical barriers to Crystal Chronicles. The big problems with DS online have been interface, the stupid friends code system, and various seemingly obvious developer oversights. There is absolutely nothing preventing a studio from writing good netcode that would allow four people to walk around on a map and hit enemies with swords.

I really hope the bucket is in the Wii version... I actually really enjoyed that game mechanic. DQIX actually is more interesting to me now than FF:CC:ROF, but I'll get and play both I imagine.

bigswords

Is this true....
6a00b8ea068c2edece00b8ea07098fdece-320pi

But I remembered in the DQ9 thread someone said that DQ9 will have WFC support? Please tell me there's still WFC..please? Please someone?

bigswords

Chris Michael said:
Awww man... I was reaally looking forward to this being online. Hopefully it'll pull a MPH and they'll add online at the last minute. This was seriously made for online.

Was MPH online a last minute add-on? It seemed very solid though.

Sigh! I could take it that Children of Mana wont have WFC. But FF:CC for the DS had to have it Sigh....well hopefully DQ9 WFC support is still there.

bigswords

Kintaro said:
I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to DS online multiplayer, but uh, are there any good games that use it? It is actually used well? Is there voice chat on the DS (that wouldn't sound terrible coming from the speakers?) I personally can't imagine being in public and screaming at my DS for someone to cast spells and calling them names. Even the DQ9 thing, when they said multiplayer, I figured they meant 4 friends playing relatively close to each other in the same room. Even then, you had 4 people doing their own thing.

I'm not dissing the DS, just asking.

Jump! Ultimate Super stars has very pretty good voice chat (plus it's over the internet). Had an Amercian, a Jap and a Brit cursing and swearing in their own languages...lol voice chat for that game is pretty fun :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom